RealSelf Reviews

Updated 27 Jul 2020

4.0
RealSelf Founder and CEO Tom Seery
Tom Seery
Pros
  • "I've never had trouble with work/life balance, or with taking time for an appointment or personal matter(in 20 reviews)

• "Snacks, dog friendly, flexible hours(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "With quick expansion there are always growing pains and I have high hopes RealSelf continue to work through it well(in 10 reviews)

• "Company is growing so fast it's getting a bit crowded (but that's being taken care of)(in 6 reviews)

"Classic Startup Challenges"

Former Employee - Product Marketing Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at RealSelf full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Employees are driven, passionate, kind people -Opportunity to do and learn a lot beyond your direct responsibilities -Culture of relatively open communication -Clear OKRs

Cons

-Lack of prioritization is compensated for by ambitious, hardworking employees doing too much at once -Scope creep is almost a given -Getting a clear decision or directive is difficult, and projects take ample communication with many stakeholders to move forward -OKRs are clear, but path to achieve them is ambiguous

2. COVID-19

"Exceptional Product + Exceptional People = A Bright Future"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Success Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at RealSelf full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This company is Curious: In the 5 years I've been at RS, there has always been the mindset of "How can we deliver better value to our consumer audience? What can/should we do differently?" This mindset has been the genesis of new AB testing, creative products and long term growth potential. The day we stop innovating and asking what else, what more or do you think we should...is the day we will fizzle out as a company. I'm so grateful our leadership team stays curious and isn't afraid to try new things. Nibble: When the pandemic hit, our HR team acted quickly to move our entire company 100 % remote. The shift wasn't easy but within a few weeks the entire company found new ways to connect and support each other. We are very lucky to have a HR team who can think on their feet and make the tough calls. Caring: RS has made it their mission to be a company that gives back. From supporting ReSurge International, Camp Karma, local food and clothing drives, ACLU, Black Lives Matter Seattle-King County and the Criminal Law Reform Project. RS isn't the company that focuses on philanthropy work when it's convenient, we focus on this work all of the time because we believe it's the right thing to do.

Cons

Due to the pandemic, RS is in a season of slow career development. That said, there are plans to scale career development back up in 2021.

3. COVID-19

"Thankful to call RealSelf home"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at RealSelf full-time for more than a year

Pros

We have been through a lot as all business have during Corona. Even with lost revenue we are still able to show up for our customers and employees. Proud to see the focus and the stance we have taken in the BLM movement. Making this a priority is important to me. Leadership continues to raise awareness and challenging us all on how we can do better.

Cons

People are personally struggling right now which is impossible to control

Continue reading
  4. "I haven't stopped raving about RealSelf"

Former Employee - Tech Recruiter in Seattle, WA

I worked at RealSelf full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company culture and values, management, employees, BENEFITS, pay equality, competitive compensation, friendly, supportive, and fun work environment.

Cons

None that I can think of

"Undecided"

2.0
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at RealSelf full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice people, culture, benefits, and attitude

Cons

Unidentifiable direction, unstable employment possibilities

RealSelf Response

If you were part of our COVID-19 layoffs, I'm very sorry you had that experience with our company, especially after recently joining RealSelf. That makes sense that you would see that as "unstable employment." The world was certainly turned upside down with the pandemic. Through it all, our mission and vision remain and continue to be our north star in how our leadership team drives growth for the company. If you are still in need of resources or help with the transition to a new role, please be sure to connect with our People team for assistance. We want to help. - Maureen

6. "If I could do it again it would be a no"

2.0
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at RealSelf full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was part of the layoffs in April and I felt like the company did try to do right by their employees given the terrible circumstances. I felt very supported in the transition especially by the people in HR.

Cons

Having been in sales for years I can confidently say this team was a mess. And the pay did not cover the amount of stress and continual change you endure. The constant check ins with managers was ridiculous. After I was laid off it was radio silence from several of the managers which left a bad taste in my mouth.

RealSelf Response

First, I'm sorry you were impacted by the COVID19 layoffs we experienced in April 2020. It is true we've had a lot of change to manage and work through in the past few years as we've focused on our growth strategies. Our Customer Success team is on the front lines of communication with our customers and the dedication and resilience of the team does not go unnoticed. Thank you for the time you were with our team and for the help you provided our customers. If you are open to sharing your feedback directly with me on how I can make the experience better for our team members, I'd love to hear more. Please feel free to reach out to me directly. - Maureen

"So-so product and scattered direction from above."

1.0
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at RealSelf full-time

Pros

Smart and friendly team members. Nice office. Decent compensation.

Cons

Leadership is inconsistent and change management is non existent. You'll be told RS is not for everyone, when things get tough. I saw very little leadership on my way out, very little compassion, and not so much as a handshake or a thank you. A lot of coldness and poor communication.

Chief Operating Officer

You are right, in the past year alone we have seen a ton of change. Changes in leadership, change in focus toward SEO, which is a challenge we as a team are successfully winning, and now what changes we need to make to get through this pandemic. Since I have been part of RealSelf (a year now), I have continually strived to help the team connect the dots and reach out to all corners of the business to make sure we are thinking of everyone as we make decisions/go through these changes. As we are a fast moving organization, I do expect that we will miss things from time to time, but I do challenge everyone to speak up if you feel that we missed something. It is hard for me to see anyone leave RealSelf, but I know the reality is it is sometimes best for an individual for their growth or personal journey. I am not sure how long you were with us or what team you were on, but I do thank you for being part of this crew and for the work you did with us. Everyone that walks through our doors in person or virtually adds impact to our teams and culture and I appreciate everyone that has been a part of our journey. Please feel free to reach out to me if you would like to talk about your experience with RealSelf further. Best, James

8. "Transparent, Helpful and Personable"

Current Employee - People Team Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at RealSelf full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits, Work Life Balance, Teammates, and Professional Development

Cons

I don't have any Cons

Continue reading
  9. "Lots of changes, but worth sticking around"

Current Employee - Software Engineer-II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at RealSelf full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

#1 without a doubt is the coworkers. People care, people are friendly, people are understanding, etc. Beyond that, it's a place that feels like work takes place on marathon cadence vs. a sprint or a scramble. I've never had trouble with work/life balance, or with taking time for an appointment or personal matter. In recent years the office has moved strongly towards remote work, either partially or in full. Pay is solid for this range of company. Not megacorp-scale, but I'm also not working megacorp hours or megacorp stress either. There's a stronger corporate ethic than usual, I've seen. There's a regular pattern of civic and corporate giving/efforts, and when possible it bleeds into product decisions for the better. On-call rotations are pretty light-weight, and there's a solid shared goal in making sure disruptions don't keep alerting. There's room for internal advancement, which I haven't seen much of in this industry. I've been promoted and it feels like I'll be able to continue being promoted (hopefully).

Cons

There's a tendency for company or department initiatives to get ~80% of the way to execution/completion and then trail off. There's also a pattern of key internal-facing efforts being bottlenecked by higher-ups who are already stretched thin, letting those efforts get bogged down. Some key people are taking on the work of multiple people in their position while staffing-up happens. More power to them, they're great, but the creaking is audible. Career advancement criteria is murky, with the main reference being an old document that was silently deprecated and talk of an upcoming draft that keeps being deferred.

CEO

Career advancement is really challenging for companies to get right. I recall seeing an HR industry survey where just 1 in 5 employees felt their employer was doing a good job meeting career ambitions. That's an appalling disconnect and it's not something we will accept at RealSelf. On the contrary, we want to enable personal growth and we're going to continue to bring transparency to important aspects such as career pathing and clarity to why 30 of your peers received promotions in the past year. But no matter what tools, training and processes we roll out, career advancement depends first-and-foremost on a healthy, ongoing dialogue with your manager and leadership. You can imagine how easy it is for a company to have a vastly different perspective of what they want in the future of an employee than what an individual may seek. I doubt you came to Glassdoor for advice, yet I can't understate how important is for you to bring your career and personal goals into 1:1's and performance checkups. Likewise, identify training, mentoring and skills development opportunities you want to pursue for your next role, not just your current one. Another area of challenge for early stage companies is staying focused. In the past few quarters I have not really observed the 80-percent behavior in practice beyond shipping MVP's. That said, with our product leadership changes we've introduced greater discipline in the product development process of looking ahead at the beginning of the month and back at the end of the month to ensure we are delivering on our commitments. If you see us slipping back to our old ways, please flag this and let me know!

10. "Love RealSelf, Love the People, & Love What We Do!!"

Current Employee - Senior RealSelf Advisor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at RealSelf full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Relaxed laid back culture, everyone from top down is so supportive of your work and career goals, you will feel valued for your work and any feedbacks, management is always fair, caring and responsive, everyone is committed to the same mission, and lots of free snacks and drinks!

Cons

Parking around the stadium is expensive $16-24 average per day, but RealSelf gives $100 per month towards parking and transportation. We also work from home two days a week now so that helps.

CEO

As you mention, work from home -- and remote work for many teams -- saves both commute time and money. But I also hear from our team members that they really appreciate the way it provides more "heads down" time and fewer distractions. At the same time, we are fortunate to have great tools (e.g., Slack, Zoom, Outreach and Google Docs) that allow us to stay hyper-connected and informed. These are important because RealSelf is a global team that reaches a global audience. As of this writing we have team members in 13 states and three countries.

Found 131 reviews