Redbubble Reviews

Updated 28 Jul 2020

3.5
Redbubble Co-Founder and Interim CEO Martin Hosking (no image)
Martin Hosking
Pros
Cons
  • "At times as a company grows there are pains that come with it, this isn't abnormal but still something worth mentioning (almost like a badge of honour)(in 4 reviews)

• "Career advancement: Or rather lack thereof(in 3 reviews)

1. "Sensational company to be part of!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

I worked at Redbubble full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Inclusive culture, family feel, super supportive in all aspects of your role and personal life in particular to working parents. Very sociable and transparent management/open door policy. I loved going to work everyday as I felt extremely valued, supportive of each Bubbler creating impact and I adored working with every single colleague whether within my department or wider community.

Cons

Can be a little challenging to grow within the company. Promotions can be few and far between in roles outside of the tech space

2. "It's… fine"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Melbourne

I have been working at Redbubble full-time

Pros

Fantastic Colleagues to work with

Cons

Feels more and more like it's just trying to print money

"Amazing company with short term leaders"

4.0
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Melbourne

I worked at Redbubble full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Incredible benefits and a really great creative product.

Cons

Difficult, disorganised and often hopelessly ignorant executive team.

July 2, 2020Talent Acquisition Manager

Hi, it's Kevin from the SF office. I'll be sure to pass your feedback to Martin and Vanessa. On a positive note, I'm glad to hear you liked our benefits and were a believer in our product. All the best-Kevin

4. COVID-19

"No leadership, no future"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Melbourne

I worked at Redbubble full-time

Pros

We used to have a "fully stocked" kitchen. Very supportive "Redbubble family", but scratch under the surface and realize this is just a (face) mask. The hard truth is that this is a struggling publicly listed company, so the real family are the investors, you're a cost line item. You can get promoted and make a career even when your performance is poor, you get extra points for making decisions that will waste months of engineering work, or create a culture where everyone feels entitled to have an opinion on the decisions of all the other teams. An exciting career: you will never know if your job is truly safe, the company could be profitable for the first time in its 10+ years of existence, your manager could be happy with your work, you could even have been recently promoted, and still be made redundant in the middle of the Covid crisis.

Cons

None really given all the pros.

July 2, 2020Talent Acquisition Manager

Hi, it’s Kevin from the SF office. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and perspective. We’re living in difficult and uncertain times, that is true. I’m sorry you were impacted by our recent restructuring and I have nothing but empathy for you. If you’d like, Martin, Vanessa, Dan and I would like to speak with you further about your experiences. All the best-Kevin

5. "frequent management changes"

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Melbourne

I worked at Redbubble full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Healthy culture and work life balance is really good.

Cons

autonomy is taking a backseat, leadership changes are frequent, share price going in wrong direction and promised team growth is not happening. All this leads to stagnation.

"Design leadership can improve"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

I worked at Redbubble full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Fully stocked kitchen with snacks and meals -Some engaged, thoughtful and professional people -Location right in the middle of the CBD -Their own distinctive brand and brand values

Cons

-My manager was in it for career advancement, not to be a good people leader -Asked for a transfer to another team since current team dynamic was combative. Manager tried to gaslight me and ignored the effects it was having on me. -Slow delivery–for a publicly listed company I thought this would be much faster.

September 30, 2019

Hi, thank you for sharing. Feedback is important to us and we are committed to learning and improving. If you’d like, our People and Culture team are open to speaking with you about your experiences.

"Role Model Business"

I worked at Redbubble full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Can't fault this company. Nurtures, respects, listens to employees. Practices what they preach. Cares about positive and engaging work environments. Flexible working conditions. Cultivates collaborative and positive work culture. Employees want to be there.

Cons

Really can't think of a con. I haven't worked there in years after leaving to have children and notice so many of the original employees from the company's early years still work there. That speaks volumes.

September 30, 2019

Hey there! We really appreciate your thoughts and are so happy to hear you loved your time in the bubble. Thank you!

"Toxic finance team"

1.0
    Former Employee - Finance in Melbourne

I worked at Redbubble full-time for less than a year

Pros

Casual clothes and company as a whole is progressive.

Cons

Finance team is very toxic resulting in a high turnover of staff. The team is in a pressure cooker expected to work long hours while being micro managed. Compensation is low relative to other similar roles in the industry.

August 18, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with feedback. It sounds like you had a challenging time at Redbubble, it’s disappointing to see such a strong disapproval. Since your departure we have introduced new systems and processes to further support the team during this period of high growth. We are also recruiting new permanent roles to bolster the team. We continue to invest in our people and process improvements, something our new CFO feels strongly about. If you’d like, our People and Culture team are open to speaking with you directly about your experiences.

"Patchy leaders, delusions of grandeur"

Former Employee - Head of Department

I worked at Redbubble full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast paced environment, data focus strong

Cons

Not turning a profit and a strategy that is deluded, believes the business to think of itself as Facebook, when it is clearly not. This is not an eBay or Etsy growing profit, so unsure why so many expensive developers are required to effectively just run a website. Incremental overall in its focus and leadership lacking in building a culture that is leaned in and positive place to work. High turnover of key people and none staying on to build a long term career, which you see in the big successful marketplace and technology businesses. Overall 12 years in and share price is a fair reflection of the inability to scale.

Continue reading
  10. "A great place to be yourself"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Melbourne

I have been working at Redbubble full-time for less than a year

Pros

Positive work environment that encourages being yourself. Great collaboration between different functions of the business with a open and transparent communication. Great office location and the business takes great care of its employees.

Cons

None so far, keep up the good work.

September 30, 2019

Wow! Thank you for your feedback. We sure do feel the love beaming from the screen. We're thrilled to know that you have had such an enriching time with us.

Found 69 reviews