Selfridges Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Found 418 reviews

3.7
Selfridges CEO Simon Forster
Simon Forster
Pros
  • "Staff discount is absolutely fantastic once you pass your 3 month probation (I am still waiting for mine)(in 28 reviews)

• "There is a very friendly working environment, people from different concessions help each other out(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours and lack of autonomy(in 34 reviews)

• "Management could be more approachable working for the concessions(in 20 reviews)

1. "Some great experiences, but management more interested in the brand than their staff"

Current Employee - Departmental Manager

I have been working at Selfridges full-time for more than a year

Pros

Participate in many innovative activations; serve a global clientele; great products to sell. Staff discount is a big plus.

Cons

Senior management lack empathy and trust of lower level staff. Turnover is high, and staff are treated like minions.

Advice to Management

Less hierarchy, more collaboration

Selfridges2019-06-06

June 12, 2019Employer Brand Manager

Hi there, Thank you so much for taking the time leave a review on your current Department Manager role with us. It's brilliant to hear that you're enjoying your time overall including getting involved in activations and working with great brands with a diverse customer base. We are also really glad you're making the most out of the staff discount we offer! We're sorry that in parts you've not had the best time and we'd love to rectify this for you ASAP. It would be great to understand your feedback in a little more detail, including which one of our stores you're working in. With more information, we'll be able to look into your concerns and look to make improvements for you. Feel free to reach out confidentially to glassdoor@selfridges.co.uk and we can have a chat from there. Thanks again and have an amazing week!

2. "Overall generally good"

Current Employee - Cash Office Assistant

I have been working at Selfridges part-time for less than a year

Pros

decent pay, benefits, opportunities

Cons

like any job, stressful, although flexible hours available this could be better

Selfridges2019-10-15
  3. "Good work environment"

Former Employee - Image Retoucher in London, England

I worked at Selfridges full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Staff discount Nurturing environment No overtime

Cons

Repetitive work Corporate environment (not always good for a creative)

Selfridges2019-10-14
  4. "First class innovation"

Current Employee - Buying in London, England

I have been working at Selfridges full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

the best department store in the world that leads with innovation and creativity

Cons

lagging in system integration going forward

Selfridges2019-10-11

October 14, 2019Employer Brand Manager

Hi there, Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review on your current role in Buying! Congratulations as well for being with us for over 5 years - this is a fantastic achievement and we hope you continue to enjoy your career with us. We are really glad that you've noted innovation and creativity as two pros for working at Selfridges, as we believe this is something that sets us apart, particularly in the current retail landscape. We hope you feel the experienced is mirrored for team members, especially your department which has seen much change in recent times. In terms of system integration, we'd really love to understand your issues with this in more detail. Please feel free to get in touch with us at glassdoor@selfridges.co.uk. We look to do as much as we can to improve our team member experience, so do make sure that you reach out if you feel this is something we can help change. In the meantime, have an amazing week and thanks again!

5. "My experience"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Selfridges full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good place really and very dynamic

Cons

Not great for people who like quire places

Advice to Management

None I can think of

Selfridges2019-10-07

October 9, 2019Employer Brand Manager

Hello, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your current role as a Sales Associate here in Oxford Street. We're so glad that you feel as though Selfridges is a great place to be and that there's lots going on all the time - we hope you continue to experience this! In terms of your cons, it's true that a large department store in Central London quite possibly wouldn't be the best place for someone who would prefer a quieter work environment, however, there are things we do and have done, such as Quiet Hours and other initiatives that aim to make the store more inclusive. We'd really love to hear your ideas for what we can do further to improve the experience inside the store for both our Team Members and our customers! Feel free to get in touch anonymously on glassdoor@selfridges.co.uk. In the meantime, we hope you have an amazing week at work!

6. "Selfridges temp"

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Selfridges part-time

Pros

They’re Good staff at Selfridges

Cons

Controlling Staff especially floor managers

Selfridges2019-10-16
  7. "Alright"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Oxford, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Selfridges part-time for more than a year

Pros

Discount, Meet new people Fast-paced environment Often new offers and exciting events

Cons

Don't really get appreciated Have to wait several months before gaining any perks such as a discount

Selfridges2019-09-20

September 27, 2019Employer Brand Manager

Hi there, Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review on your current role with us as a Sales Associate in London! We are really pleased that on the whole you're really enjoying your time here. The fast-pace isn't for everyone but when it is it makes us a really exciting place to be and we are thrilled that you're enjoying the experience. Our teams work hard across the business to make Selfridges a fun place to shop and work - we are more than a shop! We are sad to hear that you don't feel particularly appreciated, particularly to read this as we've just spent the morning celebrating our Extraordinary People in retail! We'd really love to see what we can do to provide a better team member experience for you - you can reach out to us completely confidentially on glassdoor@selfridges.co.uk to voice any concerns or issues you may be having in your role. Once we know more detail we can get to work at rectifying some of these things for you. In the meantime, have an amazing week and thank you again for all your hard work!

8. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Selfridges full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great atmosphere with great people.

Cons

Lack of training of products

Selfridges2019-09-19

September 23, 2019Employer Brand Manager

Hi there, Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review on your current role with us as a Sales Associate. We are so glad you enjoy the environment, especially the team atmosphere we foster that makes Selfridges a really special place to work! In terms of training, we have lots of options available to you as a team member! We've got a broad range of training programmes, covering everything from face-to-face workshops, to structured development programmes, handy toolkits and digital courses, as well as support with professional qualifications. Make sure you spend some time looking through MyWorkday to view these. You can also discuss this with your manager who will be able to recommend and advise on what learning and development routes would be best for you! We hope this helps. Have an amazing week and keep up the great work!

9. "Selfridges proved to be an average place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Birmingham, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Selfridges full-time for more than a year

Pros

The hourly rate, staff are friendly

Cons

Lack of training, Unpleasant managers, lack of structure, bias, unsocial and inconvenient shift patterns

Selfridges2019-09-24

October 14, 2019Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your previous role in our Birmingham store, we really value all of the feedback we receive and are disappointed to hear that you didn’t enjoy your experience with us. We put a lot of work into our learning and development offering, with a number of pathways available to retail team members who are looking to further develop in their careers. Not only do we host a number of online resources through Workday, we also offer 1-1 training, group workshops, structured programmes and peer-to-peer mentoring to help our team members achieve their goals (something that is really important to us!) We’d really appreciate a further conversation with you to understand some of your cons in a little more detail. Please feel free to reach out on glassdoor@selfridges.co.uk if you'd like to talk through some of these things further. In the meantime, we wish you all the best for the future and hope to welcome you back in store very soon!

10. "The best retail job you could ask for."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I have been working at Selfridges part-time for less than a year

Pros

•In my experience the pay rate is much better than other retail jobs. •Staff discount is absolutely fantastic once you pass your 3 month probation (I am still waiting for mine) •The atmosphere in store is so lively and uplifting, especially in comparison to other retail stores. •The majority of the managers are great. •flexible hours •The colleagues I work with are great and we all get along well which always makes... it easier to work as a team.

Cons

• I wish you didn’t have to wait 3 months for staff discount. That’s pretty much all I can think of for Cons

Selfridges2019-09-09

September 11, 2019Employer Brand Manager

Hi there, Thank you so much for taking the time to review your current role as a Sales Associate with us here in London! We are absolutely thrilled to have received such a positive review and will make sure that we pass this on to the Retail team. We are so glad that you find the pay to be good and that you feel positive about the benefits we have to offer. We have a really amazing team on the shopfloor and its reviews like this where it really shows that all the work that is being done by our retail team behind the scenes is making a huge difference. We particularly love that you feel uplifted coming to work, thank you so much for sharing this. We've taken on board your mention of waiting 3 months to receive your staff discount and appreciate the feedback. We take it all very seriously and we are always looking for ways to improve our offering. Thank you again and we hope you have the best week!

Found 418 reviews