Smart Meetings Reviews

Found 86 of over 96 reviews

3.3
Smart Meetings Founder & Publisher Marin Bright
Marin Bright
Pros
  • "Readers constantly tell me how much they love the publication, the events and the new smart, vibrant feel of the brand and the founder(in 8 reviews)

• "My work is very challenging but it is such a wonderful experience to be able to work with a creative and hard working team(in 6 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Fast Paced to produce a magazine and events monthly(in 8 reviews)

• "As many have said here, the CEO rules through fear and intimidation and wouldn't know good leadership skills if they were right in front of her(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Happy to have a job w/ a company that is leading our essential industry back from a pandemic

Feb 3, 2021 - Sales and Service Specialist in Sausalito, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing team and engaging products that help bring meeting planners together with destinations. Kudos to our content team for keeping our industry engaged and informed on how to get back to meeting safely.

Cons

Covid-19 has devastated the travel industry. Many of our counterparts in the industry have been furloughed, fired or forced into early retirement. Luckily our management team was able to keep us employed and working through this crisis. Our entire staff has worked tirelessly to help support our amazing industry and it's comeback. It is great to finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

An Opportunity to Help a Vital Industry

Feb 3, 2021 - Manager in Sausalito, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

A creative, entrepreneurial environment where initiative is recognized and rewarded. The industry is recovering from a challenging year and the community of dedicated meeting professionals respect and rely on the award-winning publication to help them adapt and grow to meet the needs of a hybrid future. You can be part of creative something transformational.

Cons

This is a fast-paced, nimble organization where everyone is expected to pull as part of a team effort. Employees need to be just as resilient and adaptive as the hard-working community it serves.

1 person found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fantastic Company!

Jan 6, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I truly love being a part of this team and company Our company paves the way for the Hospitality Industry by being on the forefront offering the largest publication in our industry to paving the way for the world to get back to Live Meetings and Events. Smart Meetings allows me to continue to be creative, strategic and more importantly grow professionally with other likeminded team members! We are a fantastic team!

Cons

The Hospitality Industry is struggling during these times. From Hotels, CVBs, to our Meeting Planners and Travel Agents. are looking to us for guidance on moving this industry forward. Any candidate that is interested in joining our team, would need to work at a fast pace, be able to meet deadlines while remaining positive and flexible!

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

You Can Make Your Mark Here

Aug 10, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Sausalito, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Diligent work and ownership of your responsibilities are appreciated--and even demanded--here. It's the kind of place where a single individual can make a perceptible and rewarding difference, with a minimum of bureaucracy and no busy work. Top management is accessible and eager to see you succeed. Coworkers are cooperative and friendly--and happy to share the load with other team players who pull their weight. Those who prove themselves will climb the ladder.

Cons

There's no room to hide, and maybe not as much backup as some are used to--you sink or swim, pretty much, although mentoring is available if there's time and capacity. It's a fast-moving environment where flexibility and quick adjustment will be required, so if a settled, same-old, same-old is what you want, this is not for you.

2 people found this review helpful

CEO

Thank you, we appreciate your feed back.

5. 1.0

Toxic, just very toxic

Aug 6, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Nice location - Some smart employees to learn from - Good horror stories to tell in the future

Cons

This is a frightening place to work. Every person who works at SM will tell you about their own unique horror story. - By definition, the CEO / Founder is a tyrant - Strange policies - Degrading treatment - Dying industry - Brash management - Zero recognition from efforts - WAY below average salaries in the area - Minimal "perks" - Setting a bad reputation for female leadership ...honestly, I could go on. Those who have worked here know what I mean.

11 people found this review helpful

CEO

Its too bad there are no examples of anything above-just hate! To quote Taylor Swift “the haters are gonna hate, hate, hate- the fakers are gonna fake, fake, fake and the takers are gonna take, take, take- but I’m just gonna shake, shake, shake it off! This appears to be the cost to being a good leader who works hard and brings the industry a great deal of knowledge and joy. There are always those that can’t do the job so they want to take the good down. They fake their way into our company, take our money and energy, post lies like the above and then turn out to be haters. My great team and I will continue to do our good while we shake it off.

6. 4.0

Fast-pased, start-up feel

Apr 23, 2013 - Web Department in Sausalito, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are a lot of great opportunities to travel, and working at the company events are among the most fun days of work I've ever had. There were several times where, having an idea for something new, I could present it to the CEO/CFO and would be told to run with it. Being able to work a project from inception to completion is a really great opportunity, and is just one of the examples of how the company has a start-up feel.

Cons

The location is a pretty cool benefit, but also a bit isolating. Sausalito is gorgeous, and the downtown district is only about a 4 minute drive away. Walking distance, there's 3-4 restaurants in the area for lunch, and a great waterfront park to eat at if brown-bagging, but I was sometimes jealous of the downtown SF crowd. (It is entirely possible that this has changed recently. That neighborhood is ripe for redevelopment / some funky art galleries and whatnot.) The inevitable flip-side of the start-up setting is that there's a lot to do, and if working on a new pet project, the old ones don't just go away.

13 people found this review helpful

Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We value your creativity and your new ideas. If you have anything you would like to share, please email our HR department at humanresources@smartmeetings.com.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Smart Meetings is a rewarding work enviroment

Apr 18, 2013 - Director of Meetings and Events in Sausalito, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I recently moved from Nashville, TN to Sausalito, CA to join the Smart Meetings Team as the Director, Meetings & Events. Smart Meetings is a unique and successful media and events company. We are encouraged to run our daily activities as entrepreneurs making decisions based on best business practices. My last few months have been rewarding and our events team successful. Leadership is dedicated to providing professional development and resources to encourage and increase skill sets. The name of our game is results with dedication to customer service and individual success. The entire staff was recently invited to a corporate suite at the AT&T Stadium to enjoy a Giants Game on Saturday, April 20. I am looking forward to joining my colleagues for some fun down time!

Cons

I have not experienced any cons of working at Smart Meetings. I made the transition from Nashville to Sausalito and miss a great many of my friends, but that was to be expected. I love living in Northern California

17 people found this review helpful

Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. If you have anything you would like to share, please email our HR department at humanresources@smartmeetings.com.

8. 2.0
      Former Employee

An "Innovative Culture" with Drawbacks

Sep 10, 2013 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Work hard, play hard company culture - On occasion you may receive a bottle of wine, champagne, or free lunch as a perk for your loyalty and performance - Company is a leader in the planning industry for a small company size - Plenty of room to grow laterally if you want it

Cons

*****New employees are encouraged to write a review on this website when they first start. Since most don't know the company yet, of course they'll write something positive. Read 5-star reviews with a grain of salt.***** - Employee benefits are not competitive - Employee turn-over is high in the sales positions - Company is small with less than 50 employees - Human Resources department is non-existent or at least in conflict. - You are assumed to work more hours if you don't hit sales goals - Salary-only positions but you are required to work set hours. There is no flex hours ever. - There is no option to work remotely - You are expected to make a minimum number of phone calls per day, and that excludes the time you need to process any paperwork to close sales - Company is small enough where anything you say to anyone that is construed as negative or not favored will eventually get to the top executive Although some will say "if you have nothing good to say then quit the company" seeing all the unusual 5-star reviews doesn't give the website visitor a true review of the company experience. Note that reviewers are unable to make changes to their review after 30 days.

15 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee

Creative, fast-paced environment with lots of perks!

Mar 10, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are a ton of pros when it comes to working at Smart Meetings. We are the leading media company in our industry. Our products, from Smart Meetings magazine, events, website, etc. are really a class act and are well known in the meetings industry. This is a close knit group and everyone has an opportunity to voice their opinion. We work hard, but we play hard too. Perks include travel, group outings, company incentive trips, and team building activities (even some where everyone earns a little cash). If you enjoy being creative, you’ll love it. Another pro is that the office sits on a marina is Sausalito. You look out your window into what looks like a postcard. It’s stunning!

Cons

These aren’t really cons, but you should consider these points to decide if you will enjoy the culture. We work hard. We are always on a deadline – we have a magazine to run, not to mention the myriad other products and services we offer. Because of this, the job can be demanding and the hours can be long. But if you enjoy the work, the time flies and it is so rewarding.

4 people found this review helpful
    10. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Terrible I quit after a long year of being there!

Nov 2, 2012 - Regional Sales Manager in Sausalito, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Travel because it is the only way to get far away from the office.

Cons

Owners lead by fear and intimidation. It is a weird dynamic, both think everyone is out to get them and pit staff against each other to get information. If you want to hang out with co-workers it is frowned upon and when you do and they find out you get the 3rd degree. Very dysfunctional. You have to fight for your expense reimbursements and it takes forever to get them. The employee is fronting thousands of dollars at a time and it is pulling teeth for quick turn around. They change their commission structure and are always coming up with ways to get out of paying you what was agreed to. The year I was there they changed the yearly goals and budget in December so the staff wouldn't get their bonuses. Their method of annual budget planning is ridiculous with no method to their madness. It is a very unhappy workplace which is too bad because the employees are great and deserve better treatment. The only reason current staff is still there is fear of retaliation, not getting a good reference,and finding the time to do a top secret job search. This company has huge turnover and there are many more reasons why then the ones listed above. Oh yeah, on one last note, a funny thing I just remembered is the owners idea of a perk is allowing you to leave at 4pm instead of 5pm on a Friday leading into a 3 day weekend.

6 people found this review helpful