Smart Meetings Reviews

Updated 22 Feb 2020

3.7
Smart Meetings Founder & Publisher Marin Bright
Marin Bright
Pros
  • "Readers constantly tell me how much they love the publication, the events and the new smart, vibrant feel of the brand and the founder(in 7 reviews)

• "Hard-working team and a beautiful finished product month after month(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some would consider the very fast paced work environment a con but I really enjoy the pace and it keep me on my toes(in 7 reviews)

• "As many have said here, the CEO rules through fear and intimidation and wouldn't know good leadership skills if they were right in front of her(in 5 reviews)

"An exciting place to work"

Current Employee - Editorial in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is one of the rare growing publishing companies. As an entrepreneurial multimedia enterprise, employees are empowered to bring new ideas, take ownership and do their best work as part of a collaborative team. The travel industry is exciting and welcoming; the publication is beloved and the editors are some of the best I have worked with anywhere.

Cons

It is fast-paced. We are constantly producing and traveling, testing new things and inventing solutions on the fly.

"Director"

I have been working at Smart Meetings for more than 8 years

Pros

Smart Meetings is one of the most progressive publishing companies- we are on the cutting edge of all products. Most of our team stays an average of 3 plus years and many have been here 10 plus years. It is a wonderful place to work, with so many opportunities and perks! The owners treat the staff like partners and give them tons of freedom to be creative.

Cons

It’s sad that unhappy people say mean things- this is what the internet has become, a place where you can be anonymous and say things that are not true. So many celebrities suffer this, seems to be the cost of success.

September 25, 2018CEO

It’s funny, anyone who works here knows the negative posts are false and the positive ones are true. Karma will win in the end!

"Work at SM if you don’t want to feel like just another number"

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart Meetings is genuinely a great place to work. It’s not just that you can actually make a difference (because you’re not another cog in the machine), but you’re surrounded by talented people who want to do well at their jobs. You need to be open and communicative to do well here—just like any other small business—and half of the issues folks have had in previous reviews would’ve been fixed by just communicating. It also helps to not overextend your reach; this company is extremely results-oriented, as it should be. The company culture is on an upswing. While Marin and Luc try to make SM fun with perks that have been mentioned here already, I’d say the best part about being here is that you feel authentically heard and valuable. Any time I’ve brought up an issue, it’s been handled. Any time I’ve spoke up and shared an idea in a meeting, it’s treated with respect (even if it sounds silly at first). I feel like I can be open and honest with management, but that’s because I set that as a precedent.

Cons

* Two weeks of PTO/sick days lumped together is a hard sell in the Bay Area, but this is a small company. Managers are super flexible when emergencies arise. * Not really a con, but for some people it is: You really need to know your stuff. If you try to BS your way through your job, it’s not going to work.

"A Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Smart Meetings for more than 3 years

Pros

I've been with Smart Meetings for three years and I've had a great experience. I started as an intern and my skill set and knowledge have grown exponentially in my time here. One of the great things about working here is that everyone is valued equally and all ideas are treated with thoughtful consideration. Also, the opportunity for advancement is amazing and your roles grow to fit your strengths and interests so the work day stays fun! Some perks of working here include concert festival tickets, MLB baseball games, monthly team outings at trendy restaurants, weekly catered lunches, daily snacks, a 401K plan, parking lot and fun bonus opportunities throughout the year.

Cons

It's not a con but you should be ready to roll up your sleeves and bring your best effort. But again, hard work is definitely rewarded here!

Continue reading

"Great Company, Great Benefits, Always something to look forward to!"

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time

Pros

Amazing opportunities. If you work hard enough, no matter what your background is, you will have the opportunity to get where you want to go. Great for people starting their careers or veterans wanting something new!

Cons

Not really a con, you just need to be the right person for this fast paced work environment. Its always go-go-go. Thank goodness Smart Meetings has an espresso machine.

"Work for the winning team in the meetings industry!"

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time

Pros

I have been working for Smart Meetings for several years and my experience working for the company is absolutely great and rewarding. My work is very challenging but it is such a wonderful experience to be able to work with a creative and hard working team. The experience has been awesome! The company have free weekly lunches, monthly get togethers at great venues, free delicious and healthy snacks available everyday and not to forget the fun team building contests where you can win big money or a free night stay at a fancy hotel. Smart Meetings is a small company (30-35 employees) so if you are someone who is driven with full of ideas, your creative impact will be felt throughout and you will grow with the company

Cons

Every department in the company is busy so if you are the type who cant handle pressure, this might not be the place for you.

"Greedy owners"

I worked at Smart Meetings

Pros

Can learn a lot from other employees. A lot of snacks.

Cons

Greedy owners who have created an uncomfortable work environment. They make slanderous remarks about employees and don’t care about employees bettering themselves. Hardly give credit where due and reap benefits for themselves. Low pay. High turnover (5 people this month alone!) is a negative sign!

September 2, 2018CEO

Let’s define greedy- owners fly events staff all over the country to stay in first class hotels and eat gourmet food, and attend lavish events, owners offer profit sharing which is very unusual for a small company, owners give huge cash prizes and hotel stays at company contest, company brings in lunch every week, owners host an expensive party at local restaurant once a month, owners give raises regularly, owner throw a Christmas party where staff take home tons of gifts and on and on. This person was given a raise and promotion after 6 months but couldn’t do job and is angry. We have an extensive intern program that has Teams coming and going on a regular basis- planned turn over. I wish this site required honesty! These owners care deeply for their Team that’s why we have many staff who have worked here more than 10 years.

"One of the worst place you will ever work for."

1.0

I worked at Smart Meetings full-time

Pros

Smart Meeting deserves no star but the people make it 1. The people actually doing the work that leadership takes ALL credit for are fantastic. They work incredibly hard and are a pleasure to be around. The people made it worth coming to work. I have definitely made connections and friends for life. Probably the only positive aspect of this place. I have definitely learned what to avoid when looking at companies.

Cons

One would think that working for a publishing company would be an amazing learning experience and filled with interesting and dynamic challenges .... Think again .... I could not be more truthful when I say that this place is one of the most awful places I have worked at and here is why : - The CEO rules by fear, lies, and manipulation. Her management style is uniquely focused on what is best for her and not the company or the people working for her. Most importantly she is self-centered and makes everything revolve around herself. She will never take responsibility for any issues being her fault. It is and will always be someone else’s fault. - Management tries and cut corners at every turn. Anything and everything is done to minimize expenses and maximize profit. Give your staff the proper equipment to work with, welcome to 2018. - Team spirit is nonexistent, despite the fact that employees try to make the best of it, the CEO will do what she can to discourage friendships and collaboration within employees. I have honestly lost count on how many people have quit or were fired since I started. I could go on and on about how awful this place is but you get the picture. Future employees - you are free to make your own choices. Just take into account that the 1 star reviews are real and the 5 stars are FAKES and FORCED. Current employees - get out. It's eye-opening how much fun and inspiring working for a REAL company, with REAL leadership, with REAL vision, is actually like.

September 24, 2018CEO

The team spirit we inspire made it possible for you to make friends for life. This must be one person posting multiple reviews, as it’s so far from the truth. On Monday mornings the CEO reads gratitude cards given to staff that stand out and doesn’t take any credit for herself. We pay high dollars to take staff out to celebrate at the end of every month and spend freely on a great lunches every Thursday. We give a lot of freedom to our teams and let them create products and take credit for them. I wish someone could give exact examples instead of false rants. This is simply untrue- if you worked here you would know the negative posts are fake and the positive ones are real.

"Horrible president, toxic work environment"

1.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time for more than a year

Pros

Not everyones bad- i have met some great people- It is nice to know that Im not the only one whos suffering and unhappy with the management and leaders. The coffee machine is nice

Cons

I decided to ignore all the bad reviews on here because I thought they were just angry people ranting. I regret that so much. All the reviews are accurate- Luc the president is manipulative, arrogant, and ignorant. He may seem like a warm hearted gentle person but he’s only like that during the interview. He is one of the most close minded and cold hearted leader I have ever met. Everyone is mentally exhausted in the company and we are always whispering/gossiping about each other and mostly about the president and ceo. It really is a toxic company. In the last five months, seven people quit. This is accurate information- you can confirm by calling their office.

August 17, 2018President

Thank you so much for your feedback, we always listen to our staff. this person came up through our internship program and was offered a full-time position. She did not take ownership of the position and was not welcoming of feedback from her colleagues to improve client service. Although it is far from accurate we have a great, happy team. Often We hire people with very little skill set and train them providing them with careers and sometimes they don’t work out. We have had an extensive internship program that is temporary workers- could appear like turn over, but part of their and our plan. I’m sorry you are angry and accusatory with no concrete examples. We wish you the best!

"A Place Where You Can Make a Difference"

Current Employee - Editorial in Sausalito, CA

I have been working at Smart Meetings full-time for more than a year

Pros

Yes, the office with views of Sausalito Marina and perks such as high-end travel, catered lunch and daily snacks are great. But the real benefit is the difference every employee makes every day, contributing to an award-winning magazine, an engaged online community and events that bring people together in meaningful ways. Readers constantly tell me how much they love the publication, the events and the new smart, vibrant feel of the brand and the founder. How can a day at work be better than knowing you are contributing to an industry that employs millions and contributes to the development of everything from start ups to cures for cancer?

Cons

There is always a lot to be done and the deadlines come fast and furious, but the days go by quickly, leaving a warm feeling of accomplishment.

Found 84 reviews