THE THIRD FLOOR Visualization Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

4.1
Chris Edwards

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "I'm at home here"

Current Employee - PreVis in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - PreVis in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at THE THIRD FLOOR Visualization full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Snack bar = fully stocked
    kegerator = yes!
    Friendly environment = Yup, chill
    Unlimited supply of Keurig coffee = sweet!
    Cereal bar = Nice!
    Random sandwiches appear in the break room = Awesome!
    Friday lunch = More random cuisine catered from local vendors (plus beer on tap is open), how awesome is that?!?
    Working on awesome cinematic animations and assets = Awesome x 10k
    Watching my creative supervisor create and pitch a 2 page storyboard in 10 min. flat = Priceless!

Cons

I've been trying to think of a con, and I have to dig deep. Like,... we all got into this business knowing that getting to work on something this awesome is really hard to get a foot in the door. But, even after getting a foot in the door to awesomeness people want to complain. I have no qualms with the methods in which provide me the opportunity to do "awesome work" on a daily basis. Is it volatile? Kind of. Given budget constraints I feel like its a reasonable way to give a Junior an opportunity to prove themselves, with short term contracts. I have lots of hope for my value in this company and having short term contracts is a thing of the movie industry. You just have to make it work. Fight through that startup phase, make yourself an integral part of the team, prove yourself, be confident in your abilities and prove your value. Is it kind of scary, YES! But, is it doable? Yes. I'm doing it. I'm scared as HELL! But, I'll tell you what,... you gotta feel the fear and do it anyways! There is plenty of work to go around, just get in here and sit next to some of these awesome people, and you will be amazed. Simply amazed.
    Are they going to challenge you? Yup, I love a good challenge, and when I fail, take the critique like a man and do better. Then, you will have built the trust that is necessary for them to give you another challenge. So, why am I saying all of this? It's a kind of stress in the sense that you're constantly wondering about how good did I do, leaving one feeling conscientious of their abilities. If I can quote a movie, "this aint the western sizzlin,..." this is the movie industry. Getting an opportunity to work on great cinematic animations IS, just that awesome. Is it easy to do? NO!! If you want easy, get out now. But is it worth it?!? YES! Just do it! Take that leap, and never look back!

Advice to Management

Keep giving opportunities to Juniors, there are a lot of us out there, just chomping at the bit waiting for an opportunity to do great work. If short term contracts is the way to success then, just "Keep Calm and Contract On" - Thanks TTF!

22 Nov 2017 – VP of Human Resources

Awwwww... we're blushing! Seriously though, thanks so much for the awesome review! We place a lot of effort towards creating opportunities for learning and growth and an overall positive employee... More

2. "Great studio to work for!"

Current Employee - Artist in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Artist in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at THE THIRD FLOOR Visualization full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great work life balance. - They really want you to have a life outside of work.
    - Fun and Friendly. - Everyone from the co-founders to supervisors, coordinators and fellow artists are all kind, friendly and happy to help you.
    - Great projects - The Third Floor works on a myriad of projects ranging from feature film to commercials, VR experiences and more. In the past year and a half I've been a part of more projects then I have in my entire career.
    - Great opportunities to learn - I came in as a specialist, but in my time here I have learned a lot of new programs, techniques and skills. This is in part due to The Third Floor offering training sessions and fellow artists willing to teach others to spread out knowledge.
    - Company culture - TTF was built around the idea of nurturing an artistic community. Artists are treated fairly and with respect.
    - HR and upper management listen - In my year and a half here I feel that any concerns or issues I may have had have been listened to and taken seriously. I feel valued as an employee and that upper management is looking out for us.

Cons

- None that I can think of.

3. "Overall Great Work Environment"

Pros

Nice gestures like catered lunch on Fridays, trips to Starbucks on Wednesdays, and Breakfast on Mondays. A vibe from upper management that feels like a family. They try to make people feel inclusive, and provide incentives and opportunities for growth and learning. There's learning sessions at lunch sometimes and people are often promoted from within. Although the first couple attempts by them to hire me were followed by shrewd financial haggling, later I was able to accept with my desired rate. They have benefits at a fair price as well. Most of the shows seem to generally staff heavy so there's not much overtime and not much if any pressure to stay past the hours you can bill for.

Cons

Can be hard to get recognition for skills due to many hungry people clambering over each other to show off, but that can be said of any place. When getting weekly updates of commitments from casting, can be frustrating. You might assume that your show is running long and feel some comfort in that, but the updates and commitments made are very cautious on employers end. I can somewhat sympathize with that, as is the nature of our business, but as said in another review, people have left the company for other longer commitments.

17 Nov 2017 – VP of Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and such a great review of your experience here! While we appreciate the kind words, we always want to improve as a better place to work. To that end, your concerns... More

5. "Young Company with great projects"

Current Employee - Animator in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Animator in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Pros

Really nice projects.
    Great people to work with.
    Food and fruit always, including breakfast on Mondays... and Lunch on Fridays.

Cons

They only book week to week, and don't offer fulltime unless you are a shot creator.
    There is food on the floor everywhere and everyone is sick.
    They advise everyone working to put a great review on Glassdoor to bury bad reviews.
    Show coordinators don't know anything about the industry at all.
    And what's with 9 hr days?.. I don't get it.

Advice to Management

Check California law. I think you HAVE to make people full time after 10 months. I'm surprised nobody has reported you yet.
    Clean the floors.. yeah. I know they are cement,. but it is disgusting.
    And perhaps reward people who are there longer.. seems to not happen at all.

"Completely fell below expectations"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Pros

- Friendly atmosphere/culture
    - Lots of projects, a good chunk of them very big names
    - Parking is provided
    - Plenty of snacks, catered Monday breakfast (if you get here early enough) and Friday lunches

Cons

- High turnover rate for artists, which makes sense with how they do contracts and constant back fills
    - Everyone gets shuffled and herded around like animals in order to fit all the projects, somehow
    - Not everyone will receive credit for their work, including the backbone departments like IT and pipeline
    - Most everyone is paid below or the low end for their roles
    - Considering above, it has terrible HR policies when it comes to vacation and time off; e.g., there's a forced unpaid 2 week hiatus at the end of the year for full time employees with the amount of PTO given not even coming close to even covering the lost time
    - Said policies are sometimes never made clear until the very last minute, which makes things worse; e.g., paid holidays are only paid if you show up as scheduled before and after and no floating holidays.
    - Not enough specialists to help improve departments and their workflows, just a bunch of generalists trying to make do in the time they're given
    - Too many projects in all sorts of direction; it's clear they're spreading too thin
    - Ridiculous differences between studio locations which makes it difficult for support teams like IT and pipeline to accommodate, in addition to casting always shuffling everyone around

Advice to Management

While they might listen, I doubt they'll do anything to make it better. So this section feels moot.

17 Nov 2017 – VP of Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed review here. We want ALL employees at TTF to enjoy a challenging, collaborative, and rewarding employment while they are here, so reading some of... More

7. "Artist friendly studio"

I have been working at THE THIRD FLOOR Visualization full-time

Pros

TTF is a very artist friendly studio and their quality of work is exceptional. They are constantly moving forward in technologies, toolsets and pipeline. They also encourage artists to grow by providing many learning opportunities and lectures, as well as outlets for artists to express their opinions and keep the conversation open. They have alot of social events where people can meet, have fun together and create more team unity. They are one of the few studios that actually offers benefits like maternity/paternity leave, jury duty, health and paid time off, which makes for a much healthier work environment. They also cap hours to 10 hours a day, unless there is an absolute emergency for additional OT. Coming from many companies that overwork their employees, I really appreciate being able to have more of a work/life balance, and when OT does come around I don't feel burnt out. TTF also has a large variety of projects at various stages with different needs which makes each project fun, interesting and an opportunity to grow with the project. This also means employment is pretty consistent since they have so many projects coming and going. There are many travel opportunities all over the world which is fun for anyone looking to travel. And last, but definitely not least, the staff at TTF are great people. Artists, supervisors, production, HR etc - friendly, fun, hardworking and team players. It's a great family to be a part of.

Cons

More transparency in hiring and casting. It would be great if casting checked in with artists more often - in terms of whether they will have employment, and for career development. I've seen a lot of people leave simply because they didn't know they had a job the following week or were unhappy in their career development. Letting artists know where they stand might keep them around longer and knowing an artists career goals and aspirations could help with casting on shows.

12 Oct 2017 – VP of Human Resources

We appreciate you taking the time to provide such a comprehensive review. Thank you! It's great to see you mention the many pros of working at TTF. We take pride in offering great benefits, a... More

"A place to learn, grow, and thrive"

Current Employee - Shot Creator - Previs/Postvis
    Current Employee - Shot Creator - Previs/Postvis

I have been working at THE THIRD FLOOR Visualization full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When I came to The Third Floor I didn't know what previs was. When I found out I quickly realized that it was the job I envisioned as ideal when I was going through college. Being in previs/postvis you get an intimate look at almost all aspects of creating films for all mainstream formats; it puts you in close with the important forces behind it all including directors, producers, art directors, vfx supervisors, etc., sometimes even actors. I work with some of the coolest people I know, and we all relate to a lot of the same passions as one another. Rarely do I ever feel bored or complacent because the quick turnaround and short project lengths means something new is always coming, and my experiences almost always feel fresh. There is hardly a better place to cultivate your creative drive than by spending your days slinging ideas and hashing out critical storytelling problems while at the same time working on some of the coolest projects in the market today. There is ample opportunity to travel to places you've only dreamed of, or places you didn't know you would love, not to mention the amazing people you'll meet along the way. I feel like I can truly be myself at TTF, and they have helped me grow into the person I am today.

Cons

The pay, while adequate, is generally low, offset by various weekly/annual benefits in the form of events, parties, and/or activities. Things can be a bit unpredictable at times, like not knowing what your next project is until (sometimes) the day before, which can be hard when the project is in a different or hard-to-get-to location with little regard for where you are commuting from.

12 Oct 2017 – VP of Human Resources

We appreciate you sharing your thoughts here and we're so happy that you've enjoyed your time here thus far. We focus a lot of energy on creating opportunities for career growth at the company and... More

9. "Fun company, interesting work"

Pros

Great environment and great people

Cons

The pay is not very good

12 Oct 2017 – VP of Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here on Glassdoor! We're glad that you noted the great environment and people here at TTF. We work hard at maintaining our employee-first culture and investing in... More

10. "One of the Greatest Places to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at THE THIRD FLOOR Visualization full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work for The Third Floor, Inc. are how we are all one big happy family here. We find more ways to get to know one another, no matter what department anyone is a part. The Management and the Founders make the atmosphere artist-centric, which is a boon for all artists who come aboard. The perks are numerous from benefits to weekly and monthly thank you's from our founders and staff

Cons

There are really no cons that I can think of currently.

24 Aug 2017 – VP of Human Resources

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts here! While we strive to be a great place to work, it validates our efforts with an employee review title like the one you've provided.

Being a great... More

11. "I've been at the Third Floor for nearly ten years and I still enjoy it."

Current Employee - Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at THE THIRD FLOOR Visualization full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Coworkers are awesome. The projects are interesting and are mostly high-profile. Lots of opportunity to expand skil-lsets. Lots of opportunities to travel and even, in some cases, work on a movie set.

Cons

When coming up with a list of cons I had to scrape all the way down to things like: "I wish they were located on the West Side." I've been here for nearly a decade and happy the entire time.

Advice to Management

Your focus on employee satisfaction has helped you retain a great deal of top-talent. Every time I've been supervisor my team has always performed above expectations and I think they do it for love of the game. They don't treat it as 'just another gig', which says a lot to me about how respected they feel.

24 Aug 2017 – VP of Human Resources

Wow! Thanks so much for your awesome review of the company! We appreciate your perspective as an employee who's been at TTF for almost a decade and thank you for your dedication and service... More