THE THIRD FLOOR Visualization Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

4.3
THE THIRD FLOOR Visualization CEO Chris Edwards
Chris Edwards

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Competitive pay and good work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• And last, but definitely not least, the staff at TTF are great people (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Scheduling updates from casting can come at the very last minute, or not at all (in 3 reviews)

• sick time, doesn't adequately make up for mandatory 1-2 week hiatus end-of-year (in 2 reviews)

1. "Blockbuster Projects, Boutique 'Family' Feel"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at THE THIRD FLOOR Visualization full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A very artist-friendly company to work for, that rarely asks for more than a nine hour day and a five day week. Genuinely friendly people across all levels and lots of opportunities for training and mentoring on the job from leads and supervisors. Work on major projects right out of the gate.

Cons

While everyone is very nice and sympathetic about it, the contracts are very short, even if your project is long. Reassignments may not be communicated until the last possible minute.

5 Mar 2018 – VP of Human Resources

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback here! We pride ourselves on being an artist-friendly company, our devotion to work/life balance, and creating awesome opportunities for our... More

2. "More Pros than Cons"

Former Employee - Previs Artist in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Previs Artist in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at THE THIRD FLOOR Visualization full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, great working environment, fun shows to work on, good time management, hardly any pressure of crunch time.

Cons

Salary is a little lower than industry standard, and show contracts can be very short.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

5 Mar 2018 – VP of Human Resources

Thanks so much for your review! We're happy to see that you've noted our great people, projects and work/life balance in your review. We hope that you'll join the team again in the future.

Thanks... More

3. "A Fabulous Place to Work!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Pros

This is a company founded by artists, for artists. This creates a culture that was made for me! I feel supported in my career growth, challenged to continually improve and grow, and I feel appreciated for what I contribute. I feel I make a difference in my job and am excited to go to work everyday. We work hard here at TTF but we also have fun once the work is done. We go on team outings and have after work events that let us connect with each other and get to know each other as individuals, not just as coworkers. After having worked in this industry for over a decade, and having to have worked crazy hours (for years at a time), I appreciate TTF's strong work/life balance. In order to continue to create the highest quality work, they know that their employees need to be rested and recharged. I am very happy to call TTF my home and look forward to all the projects we have on the horizon!

Cons

I'm trying to think of cons, but I'm not coming up with anything at the moment. Very happy to call this company home!

5 Jan 2018 – VP of Human Resources

Thanks so much for the great review! It's great to see that our efforts as an employee-first company are truly being experienced by all. We invest a lot in learning and career development, work/life... More

4. "Overall a really nice place, but the pay could be better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Pros

Creative environment; dog-friendly; friendly staff; some ergonomic measures in place; flexible hours (as needed); good industry coverage, and potential.

Cons

PTO + sick time, doesn't adequately make up for mandatory 1-2 week hiatus end-of-year. Pay is less-than-average for normal jobs, and contractors may get same-day notice on having to find a new job.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to ask the studios for more money, and bump up the pay & PTO some!

5 Jan 2018 – VP of Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! We want ALL employees at TTF to enjoy a challenging, collaborative, and rewarding employment while they are here.

While working with amazing co-workers in a... More

5. "Awesome place to work!"

Former Employee - Asset Builder in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Asset Builder in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at THE THIRD FLOOR Visualization (Less than a year)

Pros

*Felt compelled to write a review supporting such an awesome company. No one asked me to do this, I genuinely felt compelled to give these guys props after working a freelance gig with them.
    *Very friendly and knowledgeable staff, leadership is awesome and very skilled here
    *Engaging and exciting projects (the one I was on was a BLAST)
    *Extremely organized and efficient pipeline, training was excellent, people are always happy to help
    *Amazing opportunities to accelerate your career in the film industry within this company, as they are the go-to for any type of visualization work and do a phenomenal job in doing so
    *This is overall a company that really cares about its staff, from the Starbucks days, to random catering days that include really nice free meals, to a stocked up snacks/drinks area, to random fun events

Cons

*not much to say. I really can't think of anything worth critiquing

Advice to Management

I can only say to keep doing what you're doing. I had a great time during my stay here and will recommend this job to any of my friends that are into modeling, previs, lighting, etc.

4 Dec 2017 – VP of Human Resources

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts! We're glad that you enjoyed your time with us as a freelancer and that you would recommend TTF to your friends.

At TTF, we believe that hiring great... More

6. "Best job I've had"

I have been working at THE THIRD FLOOR Visualization full-time

Pros

There are a wide variety of projects in both length and genre which helps to keep the workday fresh and interesting. The people all seem to genuinely care about the work they do and take pride in it. The company has a good understanding of work/life balance and works to maintain it.

It's a rare day at work where I don't have fun even when it's one urgent issue after another.

Cons

Projects are subject to the wants and needs of the clients so they can come and go quite rapidly which results in frequent moving of people and assets.

I don't consider the following a con but I know some do: This is not a job where you have a desk in a corner and you never move and if that's what you want you'll probably be disappointed. Unless you are staffed on a long term project or you will be moved from one desk to another at some point when your projects wrap\change.

4 Dec 2017 – VP of Human Resources

Wow! Best job you've had?! That's awesome! We're really happy that you're enjoying being a part of the TTF team and we hope that you'll continue to share your thoughts during your career with us... More

7. "Creative and Exciting!"

Current Employee - Previsualization Artist in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Previsualization Artist in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at THE THIRD FLOOR Visualization full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the best perks you'll ever see, working on biggest franchises in the industry, working offsite with the core team of the movie.
    Working with creative people (both technical and artistic), artists are often allowed to collaborate with technical team to problem solve or build a specific tool-set.
    Many interesting problems to solve in every assignment, you will get full freedom to pitch your ideas.
    Members have a good bond on every show.
    A place filled with talented artists in the VFX industry, feels more like a family to me!
    Leads and heads are very friendly and open for suggestions.
    The company also offers a chance to grow in the studio.
    The recruiting/ casting officials work very hard to equip each team with top class talent.
    Oh and had to mention, catered lunch on every Friday followed by Monday breakfast and Starbucks Wednesdays!!

Cons

Most of the big budget films require high speed deliveries for the amount of shots per day. Sometimes it gets harder to deliver shots due to technical problems with software or interruptions with the server. The quality of previs is getting close to the final's animation so definitely need strong upgrades in computing every year, otherwise every artist has to work with restricted workflow for eg. working in grey shed mode or even wire-frame mode, at times it becomes harder to see things without textures esp. while working with effects and lights.

Advice to Management

Mostly to HR team to be more transparent in their operations, than biased to a particular person. Listening both sides and thorough investigation will help to solve any complaints in the first place.

4 Dec 2017 – VP of Human Resources

Thanks for the thorough review! We truly appreciate it. We’re glad that you noted some of the many pros to working at TTF in your review.

Regarding your concern about technical problems and... More

8. "I'm at home here"

Current Employee - PreVis in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - PreVis in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Pros

Snack bar = fully stocked
    kegerator = yes!
    Friendly environment = Yup, chill
    Unlimited supply of Keurig coffee = sweet!
    Cereal bar = Nice!
    Random sandwiches appear in the break room = Awesome!
    Friday lunch = More random cuisine catered from local vendors (plus beer on tap is open), how awesome is that?!?
    Working on awesome cinematic animations and assets = Awesome x 10k
    Watching my creative supervisor create and pitch a 2 page storyboard in 10 min. flat = Priceless!

Cons

I've been trying to think of a con, and I have to dig deep. Like,... we all got into this business knowing that getting to work on something this awesome is really hard to get a foot in the door. But, even after getting a foot in the door to awesomeness people want to complain. I have no qualms with the methods in which provide me the opportunity to do "awesome work" on a daily basis. Is it volatile? Kind of. Given budget constraints I feel like its a reasonable way to give a Junior an opportunity to prove themselves, with short term contracts. I have lots of hope for my value in this company and having short term contracts is a thing of the movie industry. You just have to make it work. Fight through that startup phase, make yourself an integral part of the team, prove yourself, be confident in your abilities and prove your value. Is it kind of scary, YES! But, is it doable? Yes. I'm doing it. I'm scared as HELL! But, I'll tell you what,... you gotta feel the fear and do it anyways! There is plenty of work to go around, just get in here and sit next to some of these awesome people, and you will be amazed. Simply amazed.
    Are they going to challenge you? Yup, I love a good challenge, and when I fail, take the critique like a man and do better. Then, you will have built the trust that is necessary for them to give you another challenge. So, why am I saying all of this? It's a kind of stress in the sense that you're constantly wondering about how good did I do, leaving one feeling conscientious of their abilities. If I can quote a movie, "this aint the western sizzlin,..." this is the movie industry. Getting an opportunity to work on great cinematic animations IS, just that awesome. Is it easy to do? NO!! If you want easy, get out now. But is it worth it?!? YES! Just do it! Take that leap, and never look back!

Advice to Management

Keep giving opportunities to Juniors, there are a lot of us out there, just chomping at the bit waiting for an opportunity to do great work. If short term contracts is the way to success then, just "Keep Calm and Contract On" - Thanks TTF!

22 Nov 2017 – VP of Human Resources

Awwwww... we're blushing! Seriously though, thanks so much for the awesome review! We place a lot of effort towards creating opportunities for learning and growth and an overall positive employee... More

9. "Great studio to work for!"

Current Employee - Artist in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Artist in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Pros

- Great work life balance. - They really want you to have a life outside of work.
    - Fun and Friendly. - Everyone from the co-founders to supervisors, coordinators and fellow artists are all kind, friendly and happy to help you.
    - Great projects - The Third Floor works on a myriad of projects ranging from feature film to commercials, VR experiences and more. In the past year and a half I've been a part of more projects then I have in my entire career.
    - Great opportunities to learn - I came in as a specialist, but in my time here I have learned a lot of new programs, techniques and skills. This is in part due to The Third Floor offering training sessions and fellow artists willing to teach others to spread out knowledge.
    - Company culture - TTF was built around the idea of nurturing an artistic community. Artists are treated fairly and with respect.
    - HR and upper management listen - In my year and a half here I feel that any concerns or issues I may have had have been listened to and taken seriously. I feel valued as an employee and that upper management is looking out for us.

Cons

- None that I can think of.

4 Dec 2017 – VP of Human Resources

We appreciate you taking the time to provide a review here. Thank you! We're so glad that you think that TTF is a great studio to work for! We're glad that you're enjoying a healthy work/life... More

"Overall Great Work Environment"

Pros

Nice gestures like catered lunch on Fridays, trips to Starbucks on Wednesdays, and Breakfast on Mondays. A vibe from upper management that feels like a family. They try to make people feel inclusive, and provide incentives and opportunities for growth and learning. There's learning sessions at lunch sometimes and people are often promoted from within. Although the first couple attempts by them to hire me were followed by shrewd financial haggling, later I was able to accept with my desired rate. They have benefits at a fair price as well. Most of the shows seem to generally staff heavy so there's not much overtime and not much if any pressure to stay past the hours you can bill for.

Cons

Can be hard to get recognition for skills due to many hungry people clambering over each other to show off, but that can be said of any place. When getting weekly updates of commitments from casting, can be frustrating. You might assume that your show is running long and feel some comfort in that, but the updates and commitments made are very cautious on employers end. I can somewhat sympathize with that, as is the nature of our business, but as said in another review, people have left the company for other longer commitments.

17 Nov 2017 – VP of Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and such a great review of your experience here! While we appreciate the kind words, we always want to improve as a better place to work. To that end, your concerns... More