The Conference Board Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.9
The Conference Board President and CEO Steve Odland
Steve Odland

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance is a must for most of us" (in 33 reviews)

• "TCB offers great flexibility to work from home, flexible hours and a great environment" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "It is a non-profit as such the pay is at the middle range of the pay scale for many positions" (in 13 reviews)

• "Senior Management has been in place for quite sometime with little or no changes" (in 10 reviews)

1. "Receptionist"

Former Employee - Réceptionniste in Brussels (Belgium)
    Former Employee - Réceptionniste in Brussels (Belgium)

I worked at The Conference Board full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work-life balance, relaxed and interesting place to be if you like what the organization is doing

Cons

No career opportunities and outdated management structure.

2. "Think carefully"

I worked at The Conference Board full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent work/life balance, friendly colleagues across the regions, and exciting projects

Cons

snail pace wage increment, tiny bonuses, no succession planning, extra workload with no or little training.

3. "Moving Ahead In the Right Direction"

Current Employee - U S Development in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - U S Development in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is actually becoming a fun place to work
    More people are energized and committed to the new strategy
    The quality of intellect of our Researchers and Subject Matter Experts encourages us all to be on our “A” game - keep current on trends!

Cons

Can’t seem to move fast enough
    Typically change can be messy so, frustration is understandable

Advice to Management

Keep the positive momentum - there is light at the end of the tunnel and it is starting to shine through.

"Perhaps the worst place in America to work"

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY (US)

I worked at The Conference Board full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are still smart people at The Conference Board. If you're lucky, you'll get to work with one.

Cons

This organization has an absentee board that hasn't done anything for the organization in 50 years. Let's see who they recently made CEO. First, the man that Glassdoor itself previous rated the worst CEO in America (just Google "steve Odland worst ceo glassdoor"). But don't just take their word for it, did you know he resigned as CEO of Office Depot because of a scandal and an SEC investigation (just Google "steve Odland sec investigation resigns"). Oh, and you might have seen Office Depot in the news lately, with their latest scandal and FTC settlement (just Google "office depot support ftc settlement"). Yup, you got it, it started when Steve was CEO. So, a "non-profit" that purports to help society by offering advice on corporate governance decides that it should have as it's CEO a scammer and SEC rule violator who was previously rated the worst CEO in America. Yup, that makes sense.

To be clear, Steve is no different today. He's still got the wool pulled over the eyes of the board. Anyone who dissents is pushed out of the org and anyone with half a brain has already resigned or is actively looking for another opportunity. He values nothing more than loyalty and is quickly surrounding himself with a cadre of idiots, because that's what it takes to find 100% loyal staff. It's sad when you're on the board of a non-profit and can't even spend enough time to realize that you're being bamboozled by the carnival barker you made CEO.

Advice to Management

I don't have advice for the management, but I do for the New York State Taxing authorities. Look in to The Conference Board, there's nothing they do that justifies their non-profit status. This is just a tax avoidance scheme.

The Conference Board Response

11 Apr 2019 – Human Resources Manager

Unfortunately, this post contains inaccurate information. We urge applicants to simply Google “Steve Odland,” and read for yourselves his whole record, including his broad accomplishments in the... More

"TCB Europe"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Brussels (Belgium)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Brussels (Belgium)

I worked at The Conference Board full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very diverse and nice team. Flexible work atmosphere. Possibility to work from home. Lots to learn from each other and from the business members. Salary is descent but could be better

Cons

Growing internally is very difficult due to the team size. For some it's even impossible...

Advice to Management

To keep up in the years to come the vision strategy needs to be changed and for that some fresh and external thoughts/idea should be involved. In other words, some of the senior management needs to embrace some change.

"Great People and Great Mission"

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Conference Board is a great place to work! But, I also don't think it is for everyone. Having been here over 5 years, I have seen a lot of people come and go. Some I am sad to see go and others were just not the right fits.

Overall, I think we attract an eclectic group of individuals that are passionate about that they do. We get to interact and talk to a really unique audience (c-suite executives from F500 companies) which is rare. The folks that fit in the best here are those that have a natural curiosity. These conversations and interactions serve as brain food for them and only further their passions.

Other things that are great are the flexible hours, enjoyable coworkers/environment, considerable PTO (mix of vacation, floating holidays, bank holidays, and also the week off between Christmas and New Years), and options for remote work. Work life balance is a must for most of us. This does not mean that we don't work though!!

Additionally, there is an actual mission to what we do- helping business leaders make better business decisions! That manifests in a number of ways and it is neat to see it play out.

Cons

As I mentioned, this is not a place for everyone. Pay is not as high as it is with for profit organizations and there are sharp elbows at times for folks that are not as academically acclimated. But, if you are bright, willing, and want a greater purpose, this could be a good place for you.

Right now, there is considerable change afoot. This can be very unsettling for some. Those who were favored under past management are no longer the teacher's pets and they do not like this change. Some have been cut and it is likely, more are still to go. This is for the best but if you want an organization that has figured it out, probably right now is not the best time.

As for career pathing, it has not always been clear and is still murky. In the past, there was a great deal of nepotism and favoritism that took place that unfortunately pushed people into roles they were not suited for over those that were qualified. The new leadership is moving past this and making changes. New opportunities and paths are beginning to become clearer but it is still a ways off.

Advice to Management

The changes are great- and were sorely needed- keep them coming! And hang on to your talent- we haven't done enough in the past to keep the right people here and we have lost some great people due to foolish decisions.

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As I interviewed and evaluated coming to TCB, I developed a passionate interest in participating in TCB’s vision. That vision was not just chasing numbers (sales), not just advancing my career, not just about bringing home a paycheck. These aspects of work are important. However, TCB’s vision is all those things AND truly about advancing ideas – helping members move along bigger, better, and faster paths to success. Delivery of those ideas and paths to success delivers sales, career opportunities, and paychecks.

After almost three years, I feel very fortunate to realize … unlike many companies where the interview process isn’t an accurate picture of reality … my job, TCB, and my colleagues all turned from a hoped-for vision into reality. What a delight, what a privilege it is to participate.

What a fabulous group of dedicated, intelligent, caring individuals. They make TCB work.

Cons

It's a time of change at TCB. Positive changes ... get ready!

""The Five Star Reviews are Real""

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time

Pros

Awesome work life balance
    I got this job straight out of college and it has helped me strengthen my communication skills. The people here have embraced me and have treated me with respect. Even when I was an intern, they made me feel like my work was meaningful.

Cons

They steal the salt dispensers in the common area. Seriosuly, name one job where there aren't disagreements. Since I've been here i've witnessed only one argument and managemnet gave the person time to cool off.

Advice to Management

Continue keeping employees in the loop.

9. "Engaging Work & Supportive Environment"

Former Employee - Research Associate
    Former Employee - Research Associate

I worked at The Conference Board (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is friendly and supportive, the work is interesting and impactful, good work/life balance

Cons

Compensation could be more competitive

10. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive company culture, great work/life balance, good management

Cons

None I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!