The Conference Board Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

4.0
The Conference Board President and CEO Steve Odland
Steve Odland

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance is a must for most of us" (in 33 reviews)

• "TCB offers great flexibility to work from home, flexible hours and a great environment" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "As a non-profit working at The Conference Board isn't going to make you rich" (in 14 reviews)

• "Senior Management has been in place for quite sometime with little or no changes" (in 10 reviews)

1. "Great People and Great Mission"

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Conference Board is a great place to work! But, I also don't think it is for everyone. Having been here over 5 years, I have seen a lot of people come and go. Some I am sad to see go and others were just not the right fits.

Overall, I think we attract an eclectic group of individuals that are passionate about that they do. We get to interact and talk to a really unique audience (c-suite executives from F500 companies) which is rare. The folks that fit in the best here are those that have a natural curiosity. These conversations and interactions serve as brain food for them and only further their passions.

Other things that are great are the flexible hours, enjoyable coworkers/environment, considerable PTO (mix of vacation, floating holidays, bank holidays, and also the week off between Christmas and New Years), and options for remote work. Work life balance is a must for most of us. This does not mean that we don't work though!!

Additionally, there is an actual mission to what we do- helping business leaders make better business decisions! That manifests in a number of ways and it is neat to see it play out.

Cons

As I mentioned, this is not a place for everyone. Pay is not as high as it is with for profit organizations and there are sharp elbows at times for folks that are not as academically acclimated. But, if you are bright, willing, and want a greater purpose, this could be a good place for you.

Right now, there is considerable change afoot. This can be very unsettling for some. Those who were favored under past management are no longer the teacher's pets and they do not like this change. Some have been cut and it is likely, more are still to go. This is for the best but if you want an organization that has figured it out, probably right now is not the best time.

As for career pathing, it has not always been clear and is still murky. In the past, there was a great deal of nepotism and favoritism that took place that unfortunately pushed people into roles they were not suited for over those that were qualified. The new leadership is moving past this and making changes. New opportunities and paths are beginning to become clearer but it is still a ways off.

Advice to Management

The changes are great- and were sorely needed- keep them coming! And hang on to your talent- we haven't done enough in the past to keep the right people here and we have lost some great people due to foolish decisions.

2. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As I interviewed and evaluated coming to TCB, I developed a passionate interest in participating in TCB’s vision. That vision was not just chasing numbers (sales), not just advancing my career, not just about bringing home a paycheck. These aspects of work are important. However, TCB’s vision is all those things AND truly about advancing ideas – helping members move along bigger, better, and faster paths to success. Delivery of those ideas and paths to success delivers sales, career opportunities, and paychecks.

After almost three years, I feel very fortunate to realize … unlike many companies where the interview process isn’t an accurate picture of reality … my job, TCB, and my colleagues all turned from a hoped-for vision into reality. What a delight, what a privilege it is to participate.

What a fabulous group of dedicated, intelligent, caring individuals. They make TCB work.

Cons

It's a time of change at TCB. Positive changes ... get ready!

3. "Engaging Work & Supportive Environment"

Former Employee - Research Associate
    Former Employee - Research Associate

I worked at The Conference Board (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is friendly and supportive, the work is interesting and impactful, good work/life balance

Cons

Compensation could be more competitive

4. ""The Five Star Reviews are Real""

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time

Pros

Awesome work life balance
    I got this job straight out of college and it has helped me strengthen my communication skills. The people here have embraced me and have treated me with respect. Even when I was an intern, they made me feel like my work was meaningful.

Cons

They steal the salt dispensers in the common area. Seriosuly, name one job where there aren't disagreements. Since I've been here i've witnessed only one argument and managemnet gave the person time to cool off.

Advice to Management

Continue keeping employees in the loop.

5. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive company culture, great work/life balance, good management

Cons

None I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Living on laurels"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY (US)

I worked at The Conference Board full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great access to member professionals; flexible work environment; upgraded technology

Cons

Living on its previous reputation; underpaid

7. "An opportunity for unique experiences"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility
    Autonomy
    Learning and Development
    New Strategy

The Conference Board is indeed a unique place. It is a smaller company which makes it easier to be exposed to most employees in the organization regardless of level. If you are an employee who is willing to participate in your own development and attempt to be engaged, there are many opportunities and possibilities at TCB. They aren't always promotions but so many rewarding projects that are directly or indirectly related to your day to day job. It is definitely a learning environment. There are collaborate and intelligent people throughout the organization and some of the brightest minds in the business.

Cons

Low Pay
    Constant Change

This is not the place to get rich. It is a non-profit so the pay is often on the lower end. The flexibility makes up for some of that if you are a person who values that more.

Senior Management has been in place for quite sometime with little or no changes. So while the outlook is bright with the new strategy and new CEO in place, there is sometimes a lack of accountability and effective decision making by leadership as they rarely seem to be on the same page.

"Where should I begin?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at The Conference Board full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work at The Conference Board would include:
    - Remote work (which is now being scaled back)
    - Summer Fridays (which is really at your manager's discretion, as I worked several after putting in the requisite hours to have OFF.)
    - PTOs - there are a fair amount of paid holidays, vacations days and personal days, along with unlimited sick days.
    - The week off between Christmas and New Years is amazing.
    That's all folks. The trend here - the more time you spend AWAY from this place the better.

Cons

If you have great skills and are looking to make a difference - RUN in the opposite direction of this place. Unless you are part of the Executive or Management Committee, you will have no clear career path, no formal training, no opportunities for growth - and will be given a review which will showcase past mistakes. All for the whopping increase of 2% each year. Unless you are part of the "elite", who receive preferential treatment, promotions, salary increases and more. There are senior managers who are verbally abusive and will never be taken to task over it. Reporting them to HR is useless. There is no real HR structure. Posts alluding to employee engagement being good are lies. Many employees are there because they are close to retiring, or they have become complacent. They fear the current job market. What they don't realize is working at a company like this can become a "soul-sucking experience" and in the event of yet another change to corporate strategy, they will not hesitate to let you go anyway. There is no loyalty. There is only a revolving door where you come in and if you do not become "part of the Borg", you are deemed useless and shown the door. Those who stay struggle daily with increasingly overwhelming workloads and are made to feel like this is just part of "pitching in" because the company is "currently not sustainable". Once upon a time this place worked. And for the record, people may have had issues with Jon Spector, but in my experience, he genuinely wanted good things for this company. Some of his decisions were not great, but it was sad to watch his "champions" leave him behind without a glance back in an effort to crawl as far up the new CEO's butt as they could be accommodated.

Advice to Management

STOP hiding in your Executive Committee meetings and coming up with a new strategy every other week! Show your employees they are appreciated. We don't want to be your FRIEND. We want to be PAID what we are worth. STOP spending THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS on high-tech conference rooms and consultants to PROVE to us that our crappy pay is somehow "MARKET VALUE". It's all a bid for senior management to feel good about collecting those fat checks, while the rest of us can barely afford the most basic of necessities. And seriously - stop offering employees GIFT CARDS to get them to post reviews here. It is just beyond sad.

9. "Great company, Great people, and even better values!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I work with people who have integrity and always strive to do the right thing. We care about the work we do, TCB's members, and the public at large.

Cons

We're embarking on a transition which comes with some stress, but it is only in the short-term.

Advice to Management

Keep your eye on the prize - happy and engaged employees.

10. "The Conference Board Review"

I have been working at The Conference Board full-time

Pros

For a smaller organization, The Conference Board works with the vast majority of the F500, providing great learning opportunities. The smaller size also allows employees to have a great deal of ownership over their work, and employees who go the extra mile are rewarded. Given the research focus of the organization, it's a great place to work for those interested in continuous learning. Flexible work schedules and remote work options provide great work-life balance.

Cons

I would like to see senior management be more open to innovative approaches to helping our customers solve their challenges.