Udemy Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2021

Found 236 of over 286 reviews

4.5
Udemy CEO Gregg Coccari (no image)
Gregg Coccari
Pros
  • "Good culture of maintaining work-life balance(in 21 reviews)

• "Udemy has the best company culture I've seen in almost my 20 year career(in 12 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Growing pains leading to no clear cut path to promotion(in 15 reviews)

• "Obviously there are some growing pains when a company is growing at a fast rate(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 3.0
      Former Employee

Overall great company, but pay attention to team dynamics

Jul 22, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are some great people at the company overall and the mission statement is powerful. I do believe in the company and the overall company does embody a lot of great values. There were also some really good benefits and catered lunch before the pandemic.

Cons

The major cons I have with Udemy aren't with the company as a whole, but because my experience with my direct team was probably the most toxic and unhappy moments of my life. It is sad to see how other teams can thrive and create a healthy working environment but to have been stuck on a team with people who don't embody the culture at the company and even try to sabotage your success. Turnover was also incredibly high at a point and promotions were getting passed due to new managers constantly needing to re-evaluate current staff. Pay was also under market if you worked at the company for a long time. They would even pay a level underneath you higher than your pay just because they negotiated a higher salary when they joined, vs making sure you're actually paid the market value for your role.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great company to work for

Jul 22, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great product and company culture. It's a mission driven company that actually cares for their employees.

Cons

The company is not open for remote contracts outside of the main hubs which is a real disadvantage in my opinion.

3. 5.0

Great place to work.

Jul 21, 2021 - Software Engineer in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work and a really supportive collaborative environment. Many opportunities to learn and grow.

Cons

Really, there are none that I can think of!

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

I've worked for four tech companies and Udemy is the best

Jun 1, 2021 - Account Executive in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

First and foremost, the people are amazing. They have a diverse group of sales leaders who have a wealth of knowledge in sales and the ed-tech space. Conversations aren't based around numbers, but about career growth and coaching. The operations teams here are top-notch. As an AE you'll have access to everything you need to be successful in your role, without spending time on tasks that take away from time to sell.

Cons

Promotions are quick, so you need to talk to the best performers quick before they get busy in their next role.

5. 5.0

Great Training, Good salary, even best the benefits

Jul 14, 2021 - Account Development Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

super awesome training and people are really great

Cons

don't really have any so far

6. 5.0

Amazing culture

Jul 12, 2021 - Instructor Partnership Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people and the best place to collaborate.

Cons

Growth pains, like any other fast growing tech company.

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Positive Experience!

Jul 14, 2021 - Software Engineer(Internship) in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Most everyone is willing to help you with any questions or advice. Most are really nice and positive work life balance culture at Udemy for sure. They give occasional random paid days off.

Cons

Came across one rude manager who acted like they walked on water. I don't think it is very easy to switch teams if interested in different sect of engineering.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Highly positive experience for most, some space to improve

Jun 26, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The culture and values Udemy fosters are great and they are truly embedded into everything we do. Structure of teams is great (typically 4+ engineers, 1 eng lead, 1 designer, 1 product manager) The overwhelmingly majority of people I work with are highly capable, friendly professionals. Huge focus on collaboration. Incredible trust, flexibility and autonomy in roles. For the most part, teams are autonomous, can manage themselves, their work and their processes. Everyone's opinion is valued and listened to, everyone is actively encouraged to express themselves (possibly too much so sometimes!)

Cons

Not really a con (is expected in a company scaling rapidly from a start up) but the processes, product and adoption of technologies are not quite where they need to be. Pension match is low at 4% Oh so many meetings.... including regularly lots of late meetings due to sharing work with San Francisco. Some teams and individuals are very political, it can sometimes get exhausting working with them when you're trying to get something done. We're hiring lots - need to be careful that people who are hired carry their own weight and have the right attitude/values at all times. One toxic Individual can ruin alot of people's environments.

9. 5.0

First and possibly last SaaS company I work for

Mar 30, 2021 - Sales Development Representative (SDR) in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Udemy is my first run in the SaaS world and my experience here has been so amazing that I may never need to move to a new company. Leadership puts time and effort into making sure everybody succeeds. All employees are very open and love to communicate! It is never difficult to reach out to someone you do not know and ask a question. Benefits are great and plus full access to Udemy is truly an amazing benefit.

Cons

No real cons yet! I just wish we could be in the amazing office :( Although working from home can be tough, Udemy offers a work from home stipend to really help get a nice at home office set up! They really do care!

2 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0

Great mission driven company

Jun 21, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Awesomely smart people Great mission - improving lives through learning Great paid benefits unlimited time off Catered Lunches

Cons

None that I can think of...

Viewing 1 - 10 of 236 Reviews