Vermont Information Processing Reviews

Updated 5 Dec 2019

3.7
Vermont Information Processing President Dan Byrnes (no image)
Dan Byrnes
  1. "Great place to work"

5.0
    Current Employee - ETL Developer

I have been working at Vermont Information Processing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employee Owned Positive attitude Good work life balance Excellent Benefits

Cons

Variable work volume, sometimes crazy busy sometimes very lackluster.

2. "Great Experience, Hard Work, Low Pay, Lots of Air Miles"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Colchester, VT

I worked at Vermont Information Processing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Experience for a first job Basketball lunches are fun Though I did not utilize it, the daycare Lots of air miles, see the country and then the world ESOP

Cons

(was) Low Pay compared to amount of work - but decent for a recent grad and first job

3. "All good except the salary"

Current Employee - Research Data Specialist in Colchester, VT

Pros

Strong company culture. On site daycare. lots of emphasis on employee wellness comes uo in various ways, including health club discounts.

Cons

low salary. not all areas have opportunity for advancement.

"Bro Culture - Underpaid"

1.0
    Former Employee - Distribution Manager in Colchester, VT

I worked at Vermont Information Processing full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can play sports at lunch. (Just don't upset off the wrong people on the court because they will hold it against you professionally. The president is known for his intense emotional outbursts in hockey and basketball games. )

Cons

Very cliquey environment and very loose structure to who is actually in charge. There are a lot of people who act like jerks because they have been at the company a long time. Newer employees are generally pretty nice though. Pay is very bad and the hours suck. There are no work from home opportunities even though all work is done on a computer. There is also little room for growth. You will be treated worse if you are in a "replaceable" role like the distributor manager role where it is easy for them to find new hires. The culture is full of toxicity and you will not know you have done something wrong until it is too late. VIP needs to think about how they treat their employees and learn to commend the workers who do a good job. It seems like no gets formal performance reviews.

Vermont Information Processing Response

March 21, 2019Human Resource Assistant

Thank you for your feedback. I would like to share the following response from a fellow employee – I would like to start by emphasizing that VIP is 100% employee owned. There is no “us and them”, we are “them”, we are employee owners. Our president has been a part of our company for 31 years and many of the employees who worked here in the early years (the 80’s & 90’s) stayed until retirement or are still going strong. Longevity is a cornerstone of our culture here at VIP and we aim to find those who will be with us for the long haul. Pros We feel it’s important to enrich our day with activities that give us a break from our hard work. We have a full basketball court, a fitness center on site with men's & women’s locker rooms and showers, and a street hockey rink, where we enjoy games of street hockey, soccer and occasionally dodgeball. All of this is for anyone at VIP to use, no matter how long they’ve worked here, or how good they are at a particular sport. With over 300 employees in the building, these activities are a great way to make friends and meet people who you wouldn’t normally cross paths with in the office. Work is work. Whether you’re a developer, data analyst, a distributor manager or a software implementer, everyone can use a break. To stop and play a game, do yoga, go for a walk, play chess with co-workers, knit, read a book or have lunch with your child in our on-site day-care, it changes the day entirely. We spend 40+ hours at work each week so we want to make that time enjoyable. Do our activities get pretty competitive at times? They sure do! But neither the president, nor anyone else, would take something that happens on the court and use that against a person professionally. That is simply not true. We value hardworking and driven employees, period. Cons To say that we have a loose structure is a somewhat accurate statement. As employee owners, we don’t want a lot of micro management. We seek smart, independent, hardworking and resourceful individuals. If you require a lot of managing to stay focused, if you’re not able to learn how to prioritize your work or if you simply have trouble coming to work on time, then you’re probably not going to last long at VIP. However, if you thrive with support and training, have the ability to work and share with your peers, and enjoy the independence of self-direction, you’ll love it here. Because we are employee owners, there is a collective sigh when a new employee learns the ropes and is off and running. We know we have hired well, and we have a new long-term contributor to help us grow our business. It’s good to hear that our newer employees are nice since we’ve grown significantly in the past several years and there are now a greater number of “newer” people than “older”. I find the people who have been here 15+ years are very nice as well. It’s true, we do not offer the opportunity to work from home much. We want people to come in, be close to their teammates and share in the culture. That said – if you have a sick child, a doctor’s appointment or a family member that needs your attention, we certainly accommodate. We want to take care of ourselves as well as one another. VIP offers many opportunities for growth. Depending on your interest and abilities, you could be in an entry-level position for 1 to 2 years. We have a few entry-level departments that teach the fundamentals of our industry and our software platform. These roles are the building blocks that allow a person to advance to other positions, so they are certainly not regarded as replaceable, but rather key to success for our growing company. The advice to management: It is a sound piece of advice to treat everyone with respect, and one that we follow. I’ll finish by saying that it’s not always easy to find hardworking, self-motivated, grounded people. But once we have them, we cherish them. “We” the collective group of employee owners, respect our peers, advance them whenever possible and do our best with everyone’s help to create a great work environment for all. I’m off to the kitchen now… today is pie day, yum.

5. "Java Programmer"

I have been working at Vermont Information Processing full-time

Pros

Employee owned. Great benefits. Enjoyable work atmosphere.

Cons

Low salary. Limited management structure.

Continue reading
  6. "Good Company with Opportunities to Improve"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Colchester, VT

Pros

Flexible hours, great co-workers, fun work environment, very work hard/play hard mentality, you're allowed to work at your own pace, management tend to be hands-off (which I like) as long as you're getting your work done, beers on Fridays, they let us keep all the travel rewards for work travel, on site daycare and gym, discounted memberships to local gym, free bagels on Tuesdays & Thursdays, overall supportive and friendly atmosphere, a very sink-or-swim type of place so everyone is really pulling their weight

Cons

No proper dental or vision insurance, not a lot of room to grow

Continue reading
  7. "Great people for the most part & engaging work"

I worked at Vermont Information Processing full-time

Pros

Most of the people in upper management or the 'old timers' as they are referred to sometimes, are very nice people and so are some of the newer employees, especially the ones hired more recently. Great place to learn new things for people just getting started with their career and the company has a good outlook.

Cons

There is unfortunately a bit of a 'mean girl' sub-culture among some of the mid - level employees who were hired just a few years prior to the bulk of new employees after the company took off, who thrive on reminding newer employees of this fact, for whatever reason, which just lowers morale.

8. "developer"

5.0
    Current Employee - Developer

I have been working at Vermont Information Processing full-time for less than a year

Pros

- good people - really strong company financials and stewards to keep us on the same path - slow, steady growth over a long period with calculated risks - flexible for those that earn it - employee owned so the profits come back to us - fast paced work that changes over time - continuous improvement is aimed for - pretty solid benefits - family friendly - good work/life balance

Cons

- flat org leads to confusion and messiness in middle layer over lack of clarity on responsibilities - often still thinks more like a small company - no dental - prioritize engineering over implementation workarounds and extra processes

Continue reading
  9. "Fine launching point, not a career"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Vermont Information Processing full-time

Pros

Great people, nice benefits, the opportunity to learn a lot if you're willing to work. On-site daycare is great for those with kids

Cons

Low pay, and you have no idea what you're going to be doing tomorrow. Management can be incredibly inflexible and petty if you say something he doesn't like.

10. "Excellent work environment for hard-working career beginners"

in Colchester, VT

I have been working at Vermont Information Processing for more than 8 years

Pros

Excellent health benefits, fitness-oriented, good colleagues with a small community vibe. Ability to make changes that have real impact.

Cons

Low wages, lack of structure, no dental coverage, inability to grow into management position.

Found 21 reviews