Vertex Pharmaceuticals Reviews

Updated 8 Jul 2020

3.3
Vertex Pharmaceuticals President and CEO Reshma Kewalramani
Reshma Kewalramani
Pros
  • "Great benefits and overall perks(in 34 reviews)

• "Great people to work with, very open to fresh ideas no matter how new you are(in 24 reviews)

"Great Place to Work"

4.0
    Former Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than a year

Pros

The projects were challenging and the management was great....

Cons

There was not a clear growth path

"Great company & culture"

Current Employee - Senior Scientific Associate

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Good Benefits Sense of purpose at work Innovative research technology

Cons

Fast pace of projects and timelines

June 22, 2020Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Thank you for taking the time to post your positive review. We appreciate the five star rating.

"great time off"

Current Employee - CTM

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

they encourage you to use your time off

Cons

fast paced work environment makes taking time off hard

June 15, 2020Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Vertex does encourage employees to use their vacation time.

4. "Monopoly"

2.0
    Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good starting salary and benefits Total market monopoly in CF Promising pipeline "Autonomy", either you are an admin or VP you will be micromanaged directly by the executive board at some point. If that prospect makes you tingle give it a go. Free food and snacks

Cons

Declining equity awards Extremely US-centric mentality (90% of the employees are in or from Boston), one size fits all, transactional "we-pay-and-call-all-the-shots approach" to everything. HR is cosmetic and simply parrots whatever the executive mantra of the week is. Rampant politics and non-stop jockeying for position.

Continue reading
  5. "Worst employer in my career"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Paddington, England

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pipeline and workplace is well located and presented Individually talented staff

Cons

The company has an amazing opportunity to be a great employer but fails to do so on many levels. Understaffed, a number of poor managers (ego-driven & lacking empathy), an unhealthy face-fitting culture , high turnover of talented staff; the term dog eat dog, is genuinely applicable here. Additionally, most company initiatives are exercises in box-ticking. Upon arrival, the psychological contract & pipeline pull you in, but once you have settled in, & look under the surface, it is, sadly, a genuinely unpleasant & toxic environment to work in. Look at the maths - under resourced/ limited headcount, yet a continuous high number of vacancies. As mentioned, there is a huge issue with retention of good staff & high turnover but there appears to be no concern about this. This would be a warning sign if you knew this at interview stage. Definitely one to avoid unless you return in 10 years following a complete cultural change.

Continue reading

"Strong science but demoralizing culture"

2.0
    Former Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Vertex is driven by robust science. The commitment to treating rare diseases and improving the lives of patients is admirable.

Cons

I wish I could say that the focus on scientific integrity outweighed the disrespect and demoralizing culture. Favoritism is prevalent, and not confronted - which just enables the poor behavior. I took pride in working collaboratively and sharing my knowledge, and most especially leading rather than managing. These values and behaviors were not encouraged. The relentless narrow timelines and constant reactive mode of working were/are unsustainable. Similarly, on many occasions cross functional teams possessing a breadth of knowledge would make a well informed decision, only to be over ruled by an executive with little involvement with the project or Team. Consensus driven decisions aren’t realistic most of the time, but decisions based on input from subject matter experts are integral to successful outcomes.

May 19, 2020Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your experience at Vertex. We will make sure to provide your feedback to the proper departments.

"Toxic Culture"

Former Employee - Director in London, England

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good salary and benefits. Probably the reason why people join.

Cons

Work life balance is abysmal, the expectation is that you all even till midnight if that is what it takes. Senior management have a blame culture and favouritism is rampant.

June 22, 2020Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your time at Vertex and would have suggested you talk to your manager or to Human Resources. Good luck in your next role.

8. COVID-19

"Run, don't walk to Vertex!"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing culture, focused on both the patients and the employees. Senior leadership understands how critical it is that their employees are not only happy and engaged, but also have the time and tools to create the best work/life balance for themselves. I joined virtually at the start of the pandemic and was amazed at how seamless the onboarding was. They had seemingly thought of everything that could go wrong and already had a plan in place. I have never been in an organization where I felt so at home so quickly. Every employee has been warm, helpful and really embraces the Vertex phenotype of leading by example, learning, teaching and developing, fostering exceptional collaboration, driving breakthrough results and promoting enterprise thinking. These are all values which are a large part of what makes Vertex such a special place to work. Of course their benefits are incredible, and with the success they've experienced, there are lots of opportunities for future growth. What stood out to me immediately is how frequently they promote from within, along with a strong commitment to D&I. When I interviewed at their beautiful Seaport headquarters, I swear i could feel the positive energy the minute I stepped off the elevator. The funny thing is, I also feel that energy whenever we have a zoom meeting. It's the PEOPLE, and I am so excited to get back to the office when it is deemed safe to do so, and meet everyone in person!

Cons

Every company has pros and cons, but I personally have not yet found anything that I would consider a con.

May 11, 2020Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Thank you so much for the nice review and welcome to Vertex! It is really great to hear you are off to a great start and you are enjoying the culture.

"Terrible place to work"

Former Employee - Research Scientist

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Happy hours, free breakfast, good location

Cons

Worst managers, no team work

June 15, 2020Vertex Pharmaceuticals

We are sorry to hear that your experience at Vertex was not to your satisfaction. We will make sure to provide your feedback to the proper departments.

"My work experience at Vertex was filled with microaggressions and oblivious leadership"

Former Employee - Co-Op in Boston, MA

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

The facility is nice, but don’t let that fool you into thinking this is a top place to work

Cons

Microaggressions are prominent because many folks here don’t realize gaps in their treatment of others They pride themselves on having model minorities They believe in meritocracy and believe that grades and high merit deems success Everything Vertex does is with the aim of getting accolades and attention although they don’t deserve it. It’s just for show, they couldn’t care less about many of the “core values” that they pride themselves on. Upper management sits in their lofty top floor offices and pretend like everything is perfect and they refuse to encourage open feedback/transparency Many people fear retaliation because senior leadership is very conniving in that regard; if you cross them, you get blacklisted from the industry (or so they try to threaten you with)

June 16, 2020Vertex Pharmaceuticals

We are sorry to hear you had this experience as a Co-op at Vertex. We wish that you would have talked with your manager or with HR about your time at Vertex. We will provide your feedback to the proper departments.

Found 356 reviews