Wattpad Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Found 26 reviews

3.7
Wattpad CEO Allen Lau
Allen Lau
  1. "Fantastic Corp. Culture"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer

I worked at Wattpad full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Corporate Culture Transparency into current situation Management is very open

Cons

None to be honest.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Wattpad2019-09-10

September 16, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback! Our culture is really important to us so we value your input and appreciate the kind words.

2. "Exciting startup with great people!"

Current Employee - Specialist in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Wattpad full-time

Pros

- People - there are a lot of great, helpful people at the company who are genuinely friendly - Work-life balance - it depends on the project, but overall much better than most tech companies I've worked at - Generous vacation policy - Transparency - we have a weekly town hall where there are company updates provided and team update emails - Growth - lots of opportunities to grow your career as the company... scales - Diversity - the company really values diversity and inclusion, which is extra important for a global product - Product - very unique product that's leading the industry - Potential - Wattpad has the chance to disrupt the entertainment industry, which is really exciting - Cares about the users; not just about making profits

Cons

- Startup environment - things change quickly and there aren't always processes in place so it might not be for everyone - Short-term thinking - decisions seem to be more short-term instead of long-term

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

Wattpad2019-08-23

September 6, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback! We really value your input and appreciate the kind words.

"Toxic positivity, highly inefficient and inept"

I worked at Wattpad full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good office location for commute, okay pay, coffee and snacks. The tech is pretty good.

Cons

Unlike the bloody incompetent management. No direction. Toxic positivity that makes you suffocate. Raising any concerns or ideas of improvement is met with straight up bullying from the higher ups; most lowly workers end up going happily ahead, knowing damn well they WILL hit a wall. Cheapskates, all of them. Utilise users fanatical about the website to push projects that should have been outsourced, ending... up with amateur work at best. "Diversity" in wattpad speak means hiring as many minorities and women as possible, so they can try to get grants or a few news articles. Don't bother applying if you are a white man.

Advice to Management

Firing people and playing musical chairs with management is not a fix. Stop divulging into nauseating pointless, useless side projects and focus on what is important. Actually expand the team to meet expectations of growing userbase.

Wattpad2019-02-11

"Amazing company to work for!"

I have been working at Wattpad full-time

Pros

Great people, great mission, flexible hours, interesting work

Cons

None that I can think of.

Wattpad2018-12-16

January 25, 2019Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you very much for your positive feedback!

"Junior and Inexperienced leadership"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Wattpad full-time

Pros

Cool product, great peers and nice downtown location closer to union station

Cons

Product group is very toxic and no room for diversity of thoughts and gender. The leadership is inexperienced. My way or high way mentality permeates in the product group, and if you do not stoke egos, be prepared to be laid off because of “budgets”. Exaggerating results to look good is very common. Hire more experienced product leaders. The company’s way of innovation to copy the competition is unoriginal. Dire... need of innovation.

Advice to Management

Hire experienced product managers. Fix the toxic culture and lack of diversity in the product group.

Wattpad2018-12-26

January 25, 2019Talent Acquisition Manager

In response to your review, we have a message from Seema Lakhani, Head of Product, Wattpad: "I’m sorry to hear about your experience with our Product Team, particularly since 80% of the team are women, an underrepresented group in this field. We’ve gone to great lengths to ...

"Best place to work!"

I worked at Wattpad full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Management is very transparent -Amazing culture -Flexible hours -Will learn a LOT

Cons

-Lots of structural /organizational changes? (not really a con)

Wattpad2018-11-15

January 25, 2019Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks for your feedback, we appreciate it!

"Great People & Culture"

I worked at Wattpad full-time

Pros

- Talented, friendly people - A lot of room for growth - Great mission - Benefits/Perks - Flexibility in hours

Cons

- Too many meetings without outcomes - Needed clearer direction (at the time)

Advice to Management

Culture and colleagues were terrific! Loved the perks, growth opportunities, and flexibility. Only real con was needing clearer direction and accountability for KPIs and goals (which I hear has been rectified).

Wattpad2018-11-01

November 13, 2018HR Coordinator

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide this feedback! We value your input and appreciate the kind words.

"Get paid in cash"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Wattpad full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- some really wonderful and friendly people working there - user community that cares about the products and supports each other

Cons

- very junior leadership team and loads of infighting and interdepartmental strife - unclear roles and expectations - low accountability for hitting (or failing to hit) key metrics - general lack of transparency around how decisions get made - dishonesty around options/equity

Advice to Management

- set realistic goals that matter to the business.

Wattpad2018-07-24

"Mid-senior level potential employees should be *very* wary"

I worked at Wattpad full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Beautiful office in a great location - Some amazing, lovely and kind people - Some really intelligent and clever people + technology

Cons

- Lots of extremely young + talented employees means some great people but many are too junior/afraid to speak up - If you're mid-senior level of experience be extremely careful - majority of senior leadership is only concerned with looking good and keeping their departments protected - Senior managers will lie directly to your face and to others - KPIs aren't taken seriously by management but you will be held... accountable to them - You can be thrown under the bus rather than have managers admit the direction or performance on a project is underperforming, to the point where people will lose their jobs.

Advice to Management

Wake up to what your senior management are doing/saying about people. If otherwise high performing and kind people are continuously getting fired but you never get to speak to them or find out exactly why it's happening, or you're getting conflicting reports, dig into it. You're losing good, hardworking people and your reputation will suffer.

Wattpad2018-06-06

"Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I worked at Wattpad full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Work/life balance is great - Smart people - Great culture - Interesting problems to solve - Actually transparent (internally)

Cons

- HR moves slowly - Upper management changes their vision/goals a lot (but they're working to fix it) - Hard to move around due to limited resources

Advice to Management

You have an awesome thing going on here at Wattpad so keep on doing what you're doing!

Wattpad2018-03-25