WeWork Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.1
WeWork Founder and CEO Adam Neumann
Adam Neumann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "If you like company events, the summer camp and annual summit will excite you" (in 18 reviews)

• "Relaxed work environment with the opportunity to work from home" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "past pace gives no work life balance" (in 31 reviews)

• "Long hours, rapid growth means the organization is ever evolving" (in 37 reviews)

"Good as a member very bad as employee"

Pros

Good marketing parties, brand is good and well developed, design of spaces is good, focus on member experience is good

Cons

Very long hours, no work life balance, expected to lift and move furniture and equipment, management very young and lack life experience, management has prejudice to people over 30, shares are used to get you to join ~ shares not given to you until after 1 year, shares are spread out over 5 years, you dont keep shares if your fired, firings are usually done after project completions, firings are done sneakily and without warning, firings are conducted very regularly, company always looking to reduce costs and overheads, be prepared to fly long haul in economy, expect to share a hotel room with another employee you have never met, senior management is a clicky millenials, company pretends to be a startup, your treated very much as an employee, employees live in fear of being sacked

Advice to Management

How to start here?

"A La La Land Like No Other"

Former Employee - HQ - Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - HQ - Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at WeWork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

VERY cool HQ--beer, fruit water, and other treats on tap, free breakfast, amazing decor, lots of events and cool trendy vendors who bring free stuff--if you like to humblebrag via Insta, you'll love this place.

Some cool people --celebrities come in and out, your colleagues are generally very attractive folks, there's a sense of excitement and true commitment to the work (borderline evangelism) depending on who you work with and what you do.

Name recognition and valuation -- company is a rising star and it's worth having on your resume.

A cool mission on the surface--bringing community together, helping people do what they love (making work a passion rather than a chore) through connection.

Cons

This place is like drinking from one continuous Kool-Aid jug. VERY cult-y and cliquey. You are either in or you're out, and if you're out, rather than cut you loose right away, they gaslight you. It's actually kind of shocking how many people I've seen be treated so poorly here, and perhaps no coincidence that they were folks of color.

Kind of hard to find the down to earth people I did find. I enjoyed the Community teams and Security/Ops/Real Estate people I met, probably because they were constantly "hustling," but the HR team (the PEOPLE team, for goodness sake) and a lot of other "prominent" faces were consistently rude, with an overinflated sense of self and zero idea of how the WeWork "values" translate into behaviors/contributions from a prospective employee POV.

You have to have been there since the start, or be prepared to ingratiate yourself, to get any traction in your professional development or career path. I was always shocked how badly my manager wanted to be liked, and how much they were willing to do to be liked, to get any kind of clout and/or promotion just bc they hadn't started out at WeWork as a community team member. Never mind that they were super qualified for their job.

Pay varies depending on who you are; some people earn market value...some people very very much don't, and there doesn't seem to be any consistency that determines which is which.

TGIM. Thank God it's Monday. Mandatory Monday meetings. Sometimes they circulate tequila shots. Is that a plus? Not sure.

Summer Camp. Adult Summer Camp. With EDM, people in salmon colored shorts, and lots of loud rowdy entitled folks. If that's anything but a con for you, you probably belong here and godspeed.

Advice to Management

Honestly, whatever you can do to create more authenticity in people, in the feel of the company, do it. Create meaning and purpose for everyone--help them see how what they do actually matters. And maybe actually institute meaningful performance management measures.

"Lovely to work for - large company that manages to feel connected"

Current Employee - Technical Coach in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Technical Coach in London, England (UK)

I have been working at WeWork part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Access to all the great locations to work from remotely
    Access to events and training
    Nice benefits even for Part Timers
    Many ventures so there is a place for almost every skill

Cons

A few miscommunications within such a large company regarding new situations (eg. a role starting in a new country) but generally all was handled smoothly, any issues were addressed immediately.

Advice to Management

Keep doing it, aim to keep the community feel despite huge growth.

"Growing Technology Company"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at WeWork full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

WeWork is heavily investing in technology, both from a product perspective and as an organization. This means that there are significant opportunities to impact the technology landscape in ways that will affect the next 5-10 years of company success.

The way the company is going about this massive technology organization growth is aggressive, but healthy from my perspective. Leadership has past experience guiding their principals, but they are trusting the entire organization to deliver and grow in excellence and success.

Cons

There is a risk as the technology org grows rapidly that mis-steps will be made. Historic context implies that this risk is not insignificant, despite current leadership successfully instilling confidence in the direction of the organization.

Advice to Management

Continue to double down on investing in technological excellence. Ideally metrics related to good engineering practices and adoption of new technologies can somehow be added into the product goals and OKRs to assist in rationalizing the product "cost" necessary, particularly for existing technology products.

"Senior Engineering Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at WeWork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is no shortage of challenging problems to work on and career opportunities to grow.

Very strong leadership at the top of the technology organization. Senior leadership comes from top companies like Spotify, Amazon, Twitter, and Google.

Many engineering projects are very greenfield so we get to use cutting-edge technologies like Kubernetes, Istio, Go, Kotlin, etc.

Cons

The company is hypergrowth so there is lots of uncertainty. Sometimes this leads to last minute projects to allow the business to succeed.

Summer camp is weird, the company needs to grow up a bit and cool it on the partying.

Aren't yet competitive with perks.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve and hire top talent at the top in all areas of the company. It is a slow process but the overall talent is improving.

6. "Amazing Workplace"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at WeWork full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing Culture
    Super driven and collaborative team members
    Excellent opportunities for progression and growth
    Some of the best Summer and Xmas parties around

Cons

None at the moment to be honest

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

"Disaster from Start to Finish"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at WeWork full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Free food and beverages
    - Trendy (but overcrowded) office with a barista
    - Access to all WeWork locations (clean bathroom all over NYC)
    - Wellness initiatives like yoga and massages
    - Good pay & benefits

Cons

Don't work here. Seriously - just don't do it. I regret not taking the Glassdoor reviews more seriously. This place is a cult and you're either drinking the Kool Aid or you're not. It felt like high school. If you're not "popular" or have a senior title people will make you feel like you don't matter. As with any organization, there's a lot of politics going on. However, WeWork takes it to another level. I found the majority of the people at HQ to be extremely entitled - literally berating the community team if the coffee tap on the 6th floor wasn't working. Most managers are in jobs they are not qualified for and were extremely poor leaders which led to many unhappy and discouraged employees. This is the kind of place that doesn't value your worth until you're half way out the door.

Don't let them fool you about WeWork Summer Camp. It is NOT in London and getting there is a pain. Yes, it is an experience unlike any other but it was GROSS (filthy to the point that people were having panic attacks). So many people had 10+ hour flights only to arrive and not be fed for hours. Lots of immature behavior exhibited by people of all ages.

This place needs to get it together.

Advice to Management

Hold people accountable for their actions. If a manager cannot led, don't let them be a manager. It's that simple.

"Culture! Nashville!"

Current Employee - Community Director in Nashville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Community Director in Nashville, TN (US)

I have been working at WeWork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like a mission Driven company that allows you to be autonomous, entrepreneurial, and inspired then this is the perfect place to be. WeWork has allowed me and our team to develop processes to help grow our local members and community. The transparency of the team and the integration of our corporate team is close to none. It is extremely easy to contact figure heads to get answers and solutions, and when are is not one you are empowered to be apart of creating solutions. Our company is very diverse. Being an African american man in a leadership position is empowering, as well as honored as WeWork values different backgrounds and experiences. My 2 years at WeWork has truly been great and has empowered me to work to create things greater than myself. Previously working for Apple and Nike afforded me the opportunity to be apart of companies that have a great brand. But WeWork is much more than that. I have referred tons of colleagues who joined WeWork and have loved it as well. If you are looking to grow, and help growth then WeWork is a great place to be.

Cons

What ever Cons I bring up would eventually turn into opportunities to grow. Example would be development of more processes as we are a new company. In learning more about this what I have suggested for solutions for these have been implemented! So I see any issues we have experienced as a change to express and develop what the solution could be. Our leadership teams have been extremely receptive.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower the team to develop, grow, and create solutions. We will continue to get the best solutions from our team!

9. "We work CM team"

Current Employee - Community Lead in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Community Lead in London, England (UK)

I have been working at WeWork full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome colleauges, alot of holiday days, great pay, amazing growth.

Cons

None that i have found so far

Advice to Management

I have non so far.

10. "Fun and exciting place to work."

I have been working at WeWork full-time

Pros

WeWork is an exciting place to be right now. There’s so much opportunity to learn, grow, and develop your skills.

Cons

Very large company, you may feel like an ant amongst the colony.