Whitney Museum Reviews

Updated 13 Jun 2020

3.1
Whitney Museum Chairman Emeritus Leonard A. Lauder (no image)
Leonard A. Lauder
Pros
  • "Museum access, get inside look at upcoming exhibitions(in 11 reviews)

• "access to other museums for free with plus one admission(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance; People work long hours here and they all work really hard(in 5 reviews)

• "My job required a lot of overtime work, and there was little to no help received even when asked multiple times(in 3 reviews)

1. "Burns you out"

Former Employee - Coordinator

I worked at Whitney Museum full-time for more than a year

Pros

- colleagues are smart, wonderful, and supportive - the programming and exhibitions are insightful, intuitive, and great - fun perks

Cons

- there really is no room for advancement and the pay is extremely low for the job. When I presented proof of pay disparities to my manager, it wasn't taken seriously. My job required a lot of overtime work, and there was little to no help received even when asked multiple times. I loved this job, but the amount of time and work it required of me was way too much in comparison to the compensation. I didn't feel valued as an employee and I saw there was no actual room for me to grow despite promises in my initial interview.

2. COVID-19

"Amazing job"

5.0
    Former Employee - Educator in New York, NY

I worked at Whitney Museum part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great, healthy and positive environment. They provided the proper training.

Cons

Unfortunately because of the COVID-19 many positions were terminated

3. "Assistant Position"

4.0
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Whitney Museum full-time for more than a year

Pros

Access to the museum's events, shows, artists.

Cons

Pay is low for the city and role.

"Demeaning to work on the front lines"

Former Employee - Member Services Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Whitney Museum part-time for less than a year

Pros

I cannot think of a pleasant moment from my time at the Whitney. This job was the worst job I ever had. I don't even list it on my resume anymore.

Cons

The middle management team (specifically visitor services & membership services) are the most condescending people I have ever met. They openly yell at front-line staff and demean them in front of visitors and other staff. There is little to no chance of advancement for these roles, but they tell you otherwise when you interview. Do not work as a visitor service assistant or member services assistant at the Whitney!

Continue reading
  5. "Excellent work environment"

5.0
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Whitney Museum full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Engaged staff who care about the organization

Cons

Typical challenges of working at a non-profit

6. "Decent place to work, bad management"

4.0
    Former Employee - Visitor Services Assistant in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Whitney Museum part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule, can add or drop shifts (so long as someone will pick them up) Good coworkers Museum access, get inside look at upcoming exhibitions Paid sick days/vacation accrues after a few months

Cons

Management treats you like a child Can be very boring working certain posts General Customer Service awfulness

7. "Terrible"

Former Employee - Visitor Services Associate

I worked at Whitney Museum part-time for more than a year

Pros

They offered extended hours so it was a great opportunity to pick up hours, lots of events, and extra hours for the biennial.

Cons

Managers are rude, do not discreetly reprimand you but embarrass you in front of everyone, one manager even put her hands on me and physically pulled me off of a stanchion because I was leaning on it during a 12 hour shift of just standing, they don't rotate staff fairly and definitely don't promote fairly, all promotions are based on favoritism and the color of your skin (needs to be white), the manager is black but thinks shes white and is racist to other people of color. Managers do not care if you are being sexually harassed by other staff members they just brush it off and give them a tap on the hand.

Continue reading
  8. "They treat their employees terribly"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Whitney Museum part-time for less than a year

Pros

Free museum entry is the main plus - they have reciprocal agreements with other museums in the city.

Cons

The customers are unbelievably rude, especially the members. People yelled at me all the time over small things, complained when we didn't have products they wanted, and so on. Your manager won't stand up for you. They hired me as a temp employee and promised they were going to keep me on. Then they fired me with no notice, so I had no time to look for a new job. They also tried to force us to skip lunch breaks and leave early so they could save money. Their board is also full of despicable people, who own private prisons, manufacture weapons, etc.

9. "Meh"

Current Employee - Visitor Services Assistant in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Whitney Museum part-time for less than a year

Pros

Without these 2 qualities this job would get 1 star: 1. Great and interesting colleagues. 2. Building is a nice place to work.

Cons

A lot of standing and the job is very repetitive bc visitors always ask the same questions. Job barely pays above minimum wage. There are NO possibilities for advancement to other positions within the museum even though quite a few colleagues would be very capable. Promises were made to provide professional development courses. Managers are super self-absorbed and get offended when being asked simple questions. Managers really do not know what's going on on the floor and tend to have tyrannical management qualities.

10. "Great"

Former Employee - Gallery Assistant

I worked at Whitney Museum full-time

Pros

Great to look at art everyone

Cons

No cons about this place

Found 50 reviews