Yorkshire Building Society Reviews

Updated 7 Jul 2020

3.4
Yorkshire Building Society Chief Executive  Mike Regnier (no image)
Mike Regnier
Pros
  • "Much more of an emphasis on people and work/life balance than any of the Big 4 UK Banks with whom I have worked(in 13 reviews)

• "Flexible working and clear outline of responsibilities(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "no cons - everything is good at YBS(in 7 reviews)

• "Very little empowerment and zero options for career progression, especially post-restructure(in 6 reviews)

1. "Mutual Employer"

4.0
    Current Employee - Head of IT & Change in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England

I have been working at Yorkshire Building Society full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great place to work where they look after colleagues and customers equally.

Cons

Salaries are not the highest but it's a great working environment.

2. "An OK company"

Former Employee - Complaints Team Leader in Cheltenham, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Yorkshire Building Society full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Personal Development is encouraged and training provided

Cons

Management don't seem interested in you

Continue reading
  3. "Management struggle to follow the culture they enforce."

2.0
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England

I worked at Yorkshire Building Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- The role was very interesting - The office is modern and equipped with many amenities. - A friendly workforce (for the most part). - some very nice and supportive team leaders. - Unbeatable work-life balance.

Cons

- Poor salary in comparison to competitors for this type of role. - Management are sometimes selective with staff members, setting different targets for certain employees, while knowing that some of these targets are impossible to achieve. This behaviour boarders on bullying and harassment due to it not being based on performance. This witch hunt style of management tainted my experience with this employer.

July 1, 2020Resourcing Manager

At YBS we pride ourselves on our culture of inclusion and support and take the statements you make very seriously. We would be grateful if you would make contact with HRServices@ybs.co.uk to share your concerns so we can investigate fully.

4. "Highly Recommended"

5.0
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England

I worked at Yorkshire Building Society full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of forward thinking, flexible working, benefits and more

Cons

Lagging digitally, need to catch up quick

June 4, 2020Resourcing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. It’s great to hear that there were lots of positives to your time here. Thank you also for your feedback regarding the digital side of the business and we have taken this on board. We are currently in the middle of a large digital upgrade program which we are sure will provide employees with a more user friendly IT experience.

5. "A friendly welcome during lock-down"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Harrogate, England

I have been working at Yorkshire Building Society full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly and helpful place to work with a good on-boarding and recruitment process

Cons

Better IT and Ttch would be a plus

June 4, 2020Resourcing Manager

Thank you for your comments and the positive review of your time at YBS so far. It’s great to know that your experience of joining us recently was a positive one as we are keen to make sure that new colleagues feel part of the team despite the current requirements to work from home . Thank you also for your comments regarding our IT and tech tools. We are currently going through a digital upgrade which will help to improve our IT and technical capabilities for everyone.

"Not a pleasant place to work"

1.0
    Former Employee - CSO in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Yorkshire Building Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

No pros in my opinion

Cons

Many cons including cliquey atmosphere and low staff morale.

July 1, 2020Resourcing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. At YBS we pride ourselves on our culture of inclusion and support and we are disappointed to learn that this was not your experience. We would be grateful if you would make contact with recruitment@ybs.co.uk to share your specific feedback so that we can look into this further .

7. "good place to work at"

Former Employee - Data Analyst

I worked at Yorkshire Building Society full-time

Pros

good place to work at

Cons

cant think of any cons

July 1, 2020Resourcing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a positive review of your time working at YBS. We are glad that you enjoyed your time with us and wish you all the best for your new role.

8. "Finding itself again"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Yorkshire Building Society full-time

Pros

Genuine care for customers and real purpose. Very flexible working practices, doing a great job of looking after customers and staff alike in the crisis.

Cons

Top management can find it hard to stick to decisions and courses of action. Quite old fashioned structure and management style

May 28, 2020Resourcing Manager

Thank you for sharing your experiences of working at YBS. It’s good to hear that the efforts YBS are going to during the current climate are being felt. Thanks also for highlighting the flexible working options we have available, we are keen to ensure colleagues have a good work/life balance whilst also ensuring we continue to provide the best possible service to our members With regards to your comments on the management style you have experienced, we would be keen to learn more about this to see if improvements can be made. If you could please email recruitment@ybs.co.uk with some additional information it would be really appreciated

9. "Flexible working"

Former Employee - Customer Consultant in Reading, England

I worked at Yorkshire Building Society part-time for more than a year

Pros

Hours could be flexible to suit needs - friendly to family life and work life balances

Cons

Compulsory cover of Saturday shifts may not appeal to all indivduals

May 28, 2020Resourcing Manager

Hello and thank you for your comments on our Flexible Working Policy. It’s pleasing to hear you had a positive experience working in the Reading branch and that the flexibility of the hours suited your personal circumstances. Thanks for highlighting the Saturday shifts, the vast majority of the branches do open on Saturdays although we do appreciate that weekend hours won’t appeal to everyone. We include working patterns on all job adverts within the branch network to provide clarity on the hours required, and will try to accommodate any minor changes to these where it works for both the colleague and the branch Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience with working at YBS, and if you have any additional comments or feedback please don’t hesitate to contact us by emailing recruitment@ybs.co.uk

"Demeaning"

1.0
    Former Employee - Customer Communications in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England

I worked at Yorkshire Building Society full-time

Pros

None. A bad place, bad culture.

Cons

Constant demeaning language and discrimination by management, cruel and hostile attitude. Intentional damaging language, cruel place to work.

May 28, 2020Resourcing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to add your review to Glassdoor. We are sorry to read that you felt you were not spoken to in a positive way during your time with us, especially as this is at odds with the friendly communication style that we usually see across all departments and teams in the business. At YBS we work hard to create a friendly, open and inclusive culture so we are keen to understand more about your particular experience. We would be grateful if you could provide some further information by emailing recruitment@ybs.co.uk so we can explore this further.

Found 147 reviews