Yorkshire Building Society Reviews

Updated 20 May 2020

3.4
Yorkshire Building Society Chief Executive  Mike Regnier (no image)
Mike Regnier
Pros
  • "Much more of an emphasis on people and work/life balance than any of the Big 4 UK Banks with whom I have worked(in 12 reviews)

• "Flexible working and clear outline of responsibilities(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "no cons - everything is good at YBS(in 7 reviews)

• "Very little empowerment and zero options for career progression, especially post-restructure(in 6 reviews)

1. "Highly Recommended"

Former Employee - IT Manager in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England

I worked at Yorkshire Building Society full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of forward thinking, flexible working, benefits and more

Cons

Lagging digitally, need to catch up quick

Continue reading
    Yorkshire Building Society2020-05-20

June 4, 2020Resourcing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. It’s great to hear that there were lots of positives to your time here. Thank you also for your feedback regarding the digital side of the business and we have taken this on board. We are currently in the middle of a large digital upgrade program which we are sure will provide employees with a more user friendly IT experience.

2. "A friendly welcome during lock-down"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Harrogate, England

I have been working at Yorkshire Building Society full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly and helpful place to work with a good on-boarding and recruitment process

Cons

Better IT and Ttch would be a plus

Continue reading
    Yorkshire Building Society2020-05-19

June 4, 2020Resourcing Manager

Thank you for your comments and the positive review of your time at YBS so far. It’s great to know that your experience of joining us recently was a positive one as we are keen to make sure that new colleagues feel part of the team despite the current requirements to work from home . Thank you also for your comments regarding our IT and tech tools. We are currently going through a digital upgrade which will help to improve our IT and technical capabilities for everyone.

3. "good place to work at"

Former Employee - Data Analyst

I worked at Yorkshire Building Society full-time

Pros

good place to work at

Cons

cant think of any cons

Yorkshire Building Society2020-05-13
  4. "Finding itself again"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Yorkshire Building Society full-time

Pros

Genuine care for customers and real purpose. Very flexible working practices, doing a great job of looking after customers and staff alike in the crisis.

Cons

Top management can find it hard to stick to decisions and courses of action. Quite old fashioned structure and management style

Yorkshire Building Society2020-04-19

May 28, 2020Resourcing Manager

Thank you for sharing your experiences of working at YBS. It’s good to hear that the efforts YBS are going to during the current climate are being felt. Thanks also for highlighting the flexible working options we have available, we are keen to ensure colleagues have a good work/life balance whilst also ensuring we continue to provide the best possible service to our members With regards to your comments on the management style you have experienced, we would be keen to learn more about this to see if improvements can be made. If you could please email recruitment@ybs.co.uk with some additional information it would be really appreciated

5. "Flexible working"

Former Employee - Customer Consultant in Reading, England

I worked at Yorkshire Building Society part-time for more than a year

Pros

Hours could be flexible to suit needs - friendly to family life and work life balances

Cons

Compulsory cover of Saturday shifts may not appeal to all indivduals

Yorkshire Building Society2020-03-31

May 28, 2020Resourcing Manager

Hello and thank you for your comments on our Flexible Working Policy. It’s pleasing to hear you had a positive experience working in the Reading branch and that the flexibility of the hours suited your personal circumstances. Thanks for highlighting the Saturday shifts, the vast majority of the branches do open on Saturdays although we do appreciate that weekend hours won’t appeal to everyone. We include working patterns on all job adverts within the branch network to provide clarity on the hours required, and will try to accommodate any minor changes to these where it works for both the colleague and the branch Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience with working at YBS, and if you have any additional comments or feedback please don’t hesitate to contact us by emailing recruitment@ybs.co.uk

"Demeaning"

1.0
    Former Employee - Customer Communications in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England

I worked at Yorkshire Building Society full-time

Pros

None. A bad place, bad culture.

Cons

Constant demeaning language and discrimination by management, cruel and hostile attitude. Intentional damaging language, cruel place to work.

Yorkshire Building Society2020-04-26

May 28, 2020Resourcing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to add your review to Glassdoor. We are sorry to read that you felt you were not spoken to in a positive way during your time with us, especially as this is at odds with the friendly communication style that we usually see across all departments and teams in the business. At YBS we work hard to create a friendly, open and inclusive culture so we are keen to understand more about your particular experience. We would be grateful if you could provide some further information by emailing recruitment@ybs.co.uk so we can explore this further.

7. "Yes"

Current Employee - Underwriting Assistant

I have been working at Yorkshire Building Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good hours, good pay-ish, reasonable benefits

Cons

Hierarchy and management very ignorant

Yorkshire Building Society2020-02-10

May 28, 2020Resourcing Manager

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to share your views and we really appreciate your honest feedback. We have recently introduced a new range of employee benefits with the option to add additional benefits to your existing package which provide the option to opt-in for those which are of most relevance, so it’s pleasing to read your comments in regards to these along with the pay and hours. We would like to learn more of your experience in relation to the YBS structure and management and would really appreciate it if you could please email recruitment@ybs.co.uk so we can follow this up.

8. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at Yorkshire Building Society full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexibility Development Culture and the people I work with

Cons

Less progression in the branch network

Yorkshire Building Society2020-01-23

May 28, 2020Resourcing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us, it’s great to learn of the positive experience you had working at YBS for so many years! We appreciate that the opportunities for development can be more difficult in some areas of the organisation, and are keen to address these where possible. We have recently trialled some development workshops for branch colleagues to provide hints and tips for how to write CVs and prepare for internal interviews. If you have any further suggestions or ideas for how we can improve progression within the branch network then we’d love to hear from you: recruitment@ybs.co.uk

9. "Accounts controller"

Current Employee - Account Controller

I have been working at Yorkshire Building Society full-time

Pros

Flexible working, good training, big organisation

Cons

Systems are slow, salary could be better

Yorkshire Building Society2020-01-09

May 28, 2020Resourcing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a positive review, we appreciate you sharing your experience of working at YBS. It’s great to hear that you value our Flexible Working Policy as we are really keen to help colleagues achieve a work/life balance which works for all

10. "Good company that went downhill"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Leeds, England

I worked at Yorkshire Building Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great professional and expertise of colleagues Flexible working

Cons

Low salary Too many changes at the top Let most of their good employees in Change go

Yorkshire Building Society2020-01-16

May 28, 2020Resourcing Manager

Thank you for your honest feedback, we do appreciate you taking the time to share it with us. It’s pleasing to read that you value the flexible working on offer as this is something we actively encourage to ensure our colleagues have a good work/life balance. In relation to your comments regarding salary we always aim to pay salaries in line with current market rates and salaries offered are also based on experience.

Found 143 reviews