phs Group Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.7
phs Group CEO David Taylor-Smith
David Taylor-Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "well established company, great people, great products, free lunch, dress down Fridays" (in 7 reviews)

• "Great people, good leadership who care about making a positive change for our Customers" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Terrible Service - Terrible Customer Service and Terrible Managers" (in 4 reviews)

• "head office a little cramped & short on parking" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great Company But Needs Improvements"

Current Employee - Sales in Caerphilly, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales in Caerphilly, Wales (UK)

I have been working at phs Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Canteen On Site
    Great People
    Great Management

Cons

Poor Salary
    No progression opportunities
    Customer service is poor

12 Nov 2018 – Mark - phs team

Hi, thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and are disappointed to hear the Cons you have raised. We'll make sure your review is passed over to the management team in your area, we... More

2. "HR"

I worked at phs Group full-time

Pros

More investment into the HR team so they can truly add value

Cons

Great development opportunities and chances to learn
    Amazing manager at the time that encouraged growth, learning and development

26 Oct 2018 – Mark - phs team

Hello! Thank you for leaving us a review, we appreciate your comments and will make sure we pass your feedback onto management in the business area. Great to hear your manager encouraged you and had... More

3. "An insider's view of Finance at PHS"

Former Employee - Project Accountant in Caerphilly, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Project Accountant in Caerphilly, Wales (UK)

I worked at phs Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supportive manager
    Really friendly staff - especially at PHS Teacrate
    Great on the job training
    Work hours are fairly low, which helps with work life balance
    Free lunch in the Caerphilly canteen
    Car allowance / company car

Cons

Compensation and benefits are on the low side but improving
    Role involved travelling (4 days in every 4 week period)
    Occasional Sunday work in my specific role (2 hours)

Advice to Management

The role I did was a really great training role and my manager was really supportive and should be commended.
    Pensions and other benefits such as maternity/paternity/sick are at the bare minimum by law. I know it would be expensive, but It might help display that you care about your employees by increasing some of these above the statutory minimum.
    Encourage flexible working / working from home to help with employee satisfaction

23 Oct 2018 – Mark - phs team

Hi, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, we appreciate all feedback. It's great to hear that you had a supportive manager, we'll make sure to pass your review over to our senior... More

4. "Brief experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at phs Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company car
    Paid petrol
    Work phone, laptop and printer
    Manage your day according to meetings
    Local depot for work

Cons

Not an easy job to do
    Cold calling
    Door to door

Advice to Management

If you’re used to a sales environment it’s a good experience and career path to choose but you also have to have a passion for the products and drive in order to be able to sell washroom services as people don’t tend to change those very often.

19 Oct 2018 – Mark - phs team

Hi, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. Great to hear your feedback. It's great if people are passionate when they join us, and we provide training on all of our products to get you... More

5. "Challenging, Rewarding and Worth a Second Look!"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at phs Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Now is the best time ever to work at PHS.
    We have a new senior leadership team and there are now more opportunities than there were before to develop your career and enhance your professional skill set.
    I am really proud to represent the business and would encourage anyone who wants to contribute to achieving greatness to take a closer look at a career at PHS.

Cons

It's taken a while to get to this point so the journey has been a challenging one. The difference now is that we have a clear vision and plan to get to where we want to as a business and that provides hope and fuels determination and commitment to the goal.

Advice to Management

Considering the feedback from those at the cliff face of the business as change is being regarded and implemented. Our new senior leadership team have done just this and I truly believe that the new direction that PHS are taking is the best we have to date. I'm excited about the journey we are on and the vision to remain #1 is clear. The ability to be instrumental in this evolution is remarkable and I'm grateful for the opportunity to make a positive difference at the heart of the business .

17 Oct 2018 – Mark - phs team

Hi, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are really pleased to hear you feel proud to represent phs and that you feel we have a clear vision. We have worked really hard on... More

6. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Caerphilly, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Caerphilly, Wales (UK)

I have been working at phs Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, good leadership who care about making a positive change for our Customers. The new plan and direction is clear!
    Lots of change and challenges, with lots of support to help us deal with this. Our most recent challenges have been acknowledged by the Exec Team as they have listened to the feedback and set plans in place to improve. Great products for our customers.

Cons

Not all the staff appreciate that they work for a great company, and see it as a means to an end rather than an opportunity to contribute to the success of the business.

Advice to Management

Keep updating and sharing progress.

1 Oct 2018 – Mark - phs team

Hello, thank you for leaving phs a review. Firstly thanks for your 10 years plus service! You have raised some really great points in your review, our CEO, David, has just announced our strategy and... More

7. "Warning stay away"

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Field Sales Representative

I have been working at phs Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Market leaders, but now realise they have been complacent for the last 5 - 10 years and have lost a lot of their market share.

Cons

Deal with 5 to 10 customer complaints every day and every week.
    Customers are all leaving PHS, due to missed services, automatic-renewal contracts and not being informed about contract end dates.
    Poor Communication from senior management.
    Lack of motivation or leadership.
    Unhelpful support staff.
    No sick pay.

4 Oct 2018 – Mark - phs team

Hi, thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We are disappointed to read your comments and have passed this information over to our management team in Sales. It's a concern that you feel... More

8. "Leaving PHS after 4 interesting years."

Former Employee - Head of Production in Tamworth, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Head of Production in Tamworth, England (UK)

I worked at phs Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined PHS in 2014 and have enjoyed my time with the organisation.

For me, the biggest Pro's of working for PHS Greenleaf have been....

The great colleagues I've worked with over the past 4 years. There are people in this company who for some its more than just a job.

There is a lot of care and determination for the future of this business. They have invested a lot of time and sweat in the past. Be their motivations the products, the customers they serve, their colleagues.

It is very rewarding to hear people (staff and customers) talk passionately about our products. Greenleaf's offerings are created more for their aesthetics than functionality as with PHS other divisions. We are in an industry where the margins are fine, so balancing up beauty and creativity with the economic demands has been an important part of my job, to give our customers value for money, whilst returning a profit.

The levels of support open to us. Be that help from HR, Accounts, IT, HSE, Transport or Procurement. Working in a large organisation there are many experts to go to when you need to.

On a personal note, I have always enjoyed problem solving. Barely does a day pass where I don't receive an email or phone call looking for a solution or a compromise to an issue. I hope in most cases they've been achieved.

Cons

Industry knowledge is essential. Horticulture for example, is a very unique business. We can't necessarily apply a model or strategy that works well for Washrooms or Teacrate and expect it work as well for Greenleaf.

Greenleaf has undergone many changes during my time. Change is important and essential, if done well. There's often apprehension and mistrust towards change, its human nature. It's important to involve people into the process and contribute to the improvement. My perception has seen this business sometimes do this well and sometimes poorly. You need the guys who deliver the result to buy in if you want any project to succeed.

Local knowledge is absolutely essential. Trusting the decisions of Service Managers and their Technicians. Wherever you sit in an organisation, its not about right or wrong opinions. Different perceptions, but all should form part of the decision making process.

A personal one, but often echoed by other management colleagues. Specialist managers being turned into generalists. Balance is required here. It is understood that there are many responsibilities outside your preferred remit. But reviewing the working week and you find significantly more time dedicated to general tasks, and less to the specialism you were brought into the business to deliver, can lead to frustration.

Advice to Management

One frustrating aspect I have observed is where management have actually had good intentions for employees, but not got the message across well. This is not an easy task. "Fresh" I have to say was an example of this. The delivery, the timing of the launch and answers to challenging questions could have been managed better. I felt for the people who delivered it, and frustrated on behalf of the audience who were receiving. It was also designed with hygiene in mind but probably lost on other personnel of other divisions.

I've been very fortunate in my career to have worked in numerous organisations in several countries and worked with many cultures, from farms in the developing world, to multi nationals with state of the art facilities. Those businesses that have performed well have respected and rewarded their staff. Those that have struggled and ultimately failed have not. There are 4 P's in marketing - all important, but People are the most.

23 Aug 2018 – Mark - phs team

Hi, thank you very much for taking the time to leave us a comprehensive review. You've raised some interesting points and we'll be sure to pass all of your comments onto the relevant departments... More

9. "Service Driver 10 years of Employment"

Current Employee - Service Driver
    Current Employee - Service Driver

I have been working at phs Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly staff to work with, can make some good friends. Start from home so no travel to depot to load unload before day starts. No weekend work unless you want overtime.

Cons

Used to be a family orientated company to work for. Managers were approachable and would treat you as an equal not a number (can only speak for depot i work at), A lot of higher management changes over the past couple of years delivering false promises, like better pay better hours internal progression. From my personal view the front line staff are listened to enough we know the industry, the job, the areas we have covered for years and most importantly the customers we service.

Advice to Management

Maybe listen to staff more not just phase it down the chain. It does not help when we are questioned over our performance when we are expected to use a system that clearly does not work (360). One example when we started the new 360 we was asked to give details regarding our start times etc and issues like childcare would be taken into account. this did not happen getting started later and later and not finding out your start times for your next day with little notice to arrange childcare issues. At the moment can be soul destroying and questions your loyalty towards the company, Giving the attitude if they don't care why should we? Hopefully the new CEO will be better than the last few and actually listen to people who matter and turn things round and bring the PHS culture back, a good place work rewarded for the hard work we do.

3 Sep 2018 – Mark - phs team

Hi, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. You have raised some great points and equally some in the 'Cons' section that we'll make sure get forwarded on to management. Thank you again for... More

10. "All about the people"

I have been working at phs Group full-time

Pros

Great working with a good bunch of people. You spend everyday with the people you work therefore its a blessing coming to work with colleagues every day.

Cons

Some teams lack resources - would be good to employ more people.

17 Aug 2018 – Mark - phs team

Hi, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review, we appreciate your comments! You are so right, having a good bunch of people to work with everyday is really important and we are lucky to have... More