Interesting work, great people

I worked at Lockheed Martin

Pros

I worked at the Advanced Technology Labs in Cherry Hill, NJ. The work was interesting and the people were friendly.

Cons

I'm not crazy about ATL's location, and some managers can be difficult. Getting promoted was no small feat.

Other Reviews for Lockheed Martin

What you'd expect from a large company that's stuck in its ways

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time

Pros

9/80 schedule, flexible hours, casual environment

Cons

The caliber of the employees is somewhat disappointing. Yes, there are some very smart people who work here, but easily as many who aren't worth their paycheck. It seems nearly impossible to get fired for poor performance, which I consider a very serious negative. When the dead weight is laid off from one program, another program picks it up. Operating this way, programs often overrun cost and schedule. Then the company expects its employees to work overtime -- often unpaid -- to make up for its mistakes.

Lockheed Martin claims to pay for performance, but high performance and high pay are not correlated. Working there as a high performer, you get the distinct impression of being taken advantage of. For example, working well above your pay grade and taking on additional responsibility aren't reasons to be promoted at Lockheed Martin. Quite the opposite -- if you're already doing the work they need for a lower salary than you deserve, they chalk it up to cost savings. The only way to get ahead in this company is to hop programs or to be the pet of someone in upper management.

At this company, there is the old school mentality that the more hours an employee spends in his/her cubicle, the more valuable that employee is. (If only they went old-er school and gave some thought to why a reasonable length work week was standardized way back when.) Never mind the lost productivity that results from continuously working significantly more than 40 hours per week; never mind the mistakes that are made by the overworked employees; never mind the detrimental impacts to employee health and subsequent impact on all our health insurance premiums; etc.

Middle management is a real weakness. No one seems to see the flawed logic in taking the best engineer in a group and making them the manager. "You've done such an excellent job in your technical position that we're going to remove you from that role and have you do something that requires an entirely different skill set (which you probably lack)!" Brilliant.

You get the point.

You need to evolve. You preach about affordability yet refuse to think outside the box. Consider treating your people like people and what that might ultimately do for your bottom line.

Get out while you can

I have been working at Lockheed Martin full-time

Pros

Used to have interesting work and a variety of projects.

Cons

no emphasis on engineering or technology, company now focused on services.

Return to a focus technical leadership to compete against our rivals or else we'll continue to see our marketshare slip away.

There are newer employer reviews for Lockheed Martin.

Worked for Lockheed Martin? Contribute to the Community!