There are newer employer reviews for Target

Target is an okay place to work.

Former Employee - Cashier
Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Target part-time for more than a year

Pros

Some friendly co-workers, many areas to work and learn to work. Opportunity to switch jobs roles. My HR was very flexible with schedule and listened to my requests of vacation, or if I needed more or less hours or if I wanted to switch job roles.

Cons

VERY "clique"ish. Management is very much a clique, so to move up you have to become part of "the cool crowd." I've seen many people who work harder than anyone there who never move up, and people who are told they can't move up because they don't have a degree, but then watch someone else get promoted who also doesn't have one. You're managers often are brought straight in from college with no experience. It's impossible to get full time at Target unless you get a supervisor position, and even then they don't promise full time.

Try to stop work place cliques. Pay attention to who is doing all the work on the floor. Recognize those people and offer them better pay and promotions. Get rid of the mandatory bachelors degree rule to be a Sr team lead. Many people work for YEARS and know more than someone with no experience who went to college. It should be an equal opportunity. Many of your employees are hard workers but never had the opportunity to go to college.

8387 Other Employee Reviews for Target (View Most Recent)

In the trenches, not the offices

Current Employee - Team Leader  in  Woodbury, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Woodbury, MN (US)

I have been working at Target full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great business model as a company.
    Fast paced work.
    Overall, the leadership (ETLs, STL, TLs) all want to be there making it a fun place to work

Cons

Promotional opportunities are lacking.
    For the amount work team leads are expected to do, the pay isn't always worth it.
    Health benefits package isn't the best.

Get away from opening at midnight on Thanksgiving! It takes away from work/life balance that Target strives for their leadership.

I have worked in two different stores over the past six and a half years and promotional opportunities for the team members/team leads have been lacking. Outside hires that have trouble keeping up with the pace. I'm sure that headquarters can come up with a program to get employees that want to do more on the right track.

good environment, average pay, room to move up

Former Employee - Starbucks Barista  in  Rancho Cucamonga, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Starbucks Barista in Rancho Cucamonga, CA (US)

I worked at Target part-time for less than a year

Pros

friendly and helpful management and co-workers; 10% discount storewide

Cons

everything that has to do with any customer service/food service position

There are newer employer reviews for Target

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!