Activision Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Activision Interview Questions

Updated 14 Feb 2018

2.5

Game Tools Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Activision (Albany, NY (US)).

Interview

First I was tasked with a programming test, I passed and had a phone interview with two engineers. They asked about tech questions about C++ and C#, how I felt about the prior programming test, what games I had been playing, etc. Pretty random questions and they sounded very tired and wasn't too curious about my past experience and why I wanted to do tools development.

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Activision in December 2017.

Interview

I went in through a referral and from the start the process was odd. The recruiter called me out of the blue without setting up a time in advanced (very unprofessional), and when I spoke with him, he was rude, condescending, and overall unwelcoming as if he HAD to make this call vs wanting to actually reach out.

The hiring manager and I had a great call and I was told the recruiter would reach out with more information later. Upon following up with the recruiter I heard nothing for weeks.

Then I received an automated, canned email saying they went with another candidate. I once again followed up with the recruiter, asking for any feedback that might help in future interviews and was completely ignored.

Awful experience, awful recruiter, and a really bad look for Activision as a company.

Interview Questions

• How much money are you making now?   1 Answer

Activision Response

18 Jan 2018 – SVP Talent Acquisition

Hi, thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your experience with us. Clearly, your experience fell below the level that we strive for when dealing with candidates, especially one referred... More

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Activision (Santa Monica, CA (US)) in August 2017.

Interview

Had a Quick phone interview.
    Then set up an in person interview. They did not inform me that I would be interviewing with multiple people. They where all surprised I was not told of this.None the less the interview itself was very easy going and fun. Everyone seemed like great people to work with.
    I was then informed that if I was pushed onto the next round that I would be called back on a later date for a quick assessment test.
    I was called back a week later.
    I then was taken into a cubical for the test. They seemed a bit dis-shuffled for this and did not have my computer ready. When I began the test which was fairly easy! I noticed none of the short cut keys where set which was a total hassle. I had to right click everything. The prompt informed me to use old covers on the web as help. The Internet explorer would not start up due to updates. Then the computer began to restart and do more updates for other programs including their security log in program, which obviously did not help. I would finish a portion and had to restart due to updates and restarts. This test was on a Windows NOT a Mac so be familiar with both. I was told they do not expect me to finish the entire list on the prompt but to touch a bit of all. With all the obstacles I was going through I was surprised I got as far as I did in the 30 min.
    I was then told they would be in contact with me. Later told the position was given to the other candidate.
    All in all it was an easy process and would have love to work with such a great team. I was probably just dealt a bad hand with the assessment.

Interview Questions

• What games do I play and on what console?   1 Answer

Talent Acquisition Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Activision (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in July 2017.

Interview

Applied online had One phone interview and one on-site interview follow it up with the hiring manager and to see if they had interest in the fifth and get back to me three days later I was given a notification that I need is to start my on boarding paperwork and then I was hired on to hours later the hiring manager sent me an email saying yes we have interest in your candidacy please disregard this email and will get back to me the following Monday I was sent a rejection letter I asked for any feedback in regards to my candidacy time and no one ever responded it was a negative interview process with the lack of communication.

QA Tester Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Activision in May 2017.

Interview

Spoke with three people from the Quality Assurance division at the same time. The position they described was different from the job description I had read when I applied. I wasn't sure if that was supposed to be a test or not, but since one of the interviewers was the head of QA, I didn't push back very hard.

I assumed the position was more general QA since the description said "this can include..." and listed various types, but when I got there, they specifically zeroed in on one (which, why not just say that on the description, I wouldn't have wasted your time...). I kinda prepped for a different experience, so needless to say, I didn't get the position.

Interview Questions

• Describe a moment in a game where you think you spotted a bug or error. (or something like that)   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Activision (San Diego, CA (US)) in April 2017.

Interview

Phone call went great. I was told there would be a follow up call with a manager. A day later I received a one liner email from the recruiter saying he knew someone I had worked with in the past. Never heard from him again even after a follow up email. It was the most unprofessional interview experience I've ever had. Unfortunately it's experiences just like this one that give recruiters a bad reputation.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Activision (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in April 2017.

Interview

Phone call from their hiring manager-easy call, she was very friendly. it was with two different people sometimes. Both of them were kind and overall it was a relaxing experience and questions were not anything too in depth.

Programming Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Activision (San Jose, CA (US)) in April 2017.

Interview

It was for the online team to work on improving multiplayer experience. You need to play the game and find out the ways to improve the multiplayer experience. You will be given PS4 and the games in which you have to test.

Interview Questions

• It was mostly on your resume   1 Answer
    • Do you like gaming? Which all IPs have you played and which have you liked?   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Activision in March 2017.

Interview

I had been trying to get an interview at Activision for months. It took emailing my resume to several different people at Activision (mostly alumni who I never even met in person) and actually meeting the recruiter in person at a school event for the recruiter to finally give me a phone screen. She emailed me one morning to tell me that my resume had gotten into the hands of multiple hiring managers and commended me on my efforts. She then scheduled me for a phone screen which would occur a few days later.

The phone screen consisted of her speaking for 99 percent of the time about Activision's sunshine and rainbows perfect organizational culture and then asking me only two questions: tell me about yourself and what do you look for in a job/manager. She concluded the call by telling me that if the hiring team decides to move forward with me, her coordinator will contact me to set up a phone interview with a hiring manager. Several days later, I received a rejection email, which immediately raised some red flags.

Why did they wait until after the phone screen to reject me? I gave them absolutely no new information during the phone screen because the recruiter never asked me any specific questions about my qualifications. They could have wasted less of my time and their time by just not giving me a phone screen at all instead of giving me false hope. I'm convinced the only reason they gave me the phone screen was to make it seem as though I was a serious candidate when, in reality, they already found their candidates and simply wanted to get me off their backs. The recruiter deliberately asked me no substantive questions about me or my qualifications because she already made up her mind before the phone screen that she will not recommend me for a phone interview with a hiring manager. I've gone through enough recruiter phone screens during the course of my career to know that this is not how a phone screen is conducted.

After the rejection email, I wrote a strongly worded email to the recruiter asking for the hiring team's feedback, which she refused to provide. I recently tried emailing her again about another position only to find out that she has blocked me. This company's lack of professionalism is staggering. I obviously could have taken the rejection better, but to be blocked for asking reasonable questions is absurd. My email clearly indicated my frustration, but I never resorted to an abusive tone.

My experience with Activision has led me to conclude that they have a dishonest recruiting process and don't give any consideration to candidates who don't already have contacts within the company. This itself is not inherently negative, but for them to string candidates along is unethical at the very least and gives candidates without inside contacts false hope. I don't know why they bother posting job openings on job boards and LinkedIn.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about yourself.
      2. What do you look for in a job/manager?

Notice how neither of these questions addresses a candidate's specific qualifications. No follow-up questions were asked after "Tell me about yourself."   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bothell, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Activision (Bothell, WA (US)).

Interview

* Someone I spoke with on the phone discussed details of another applicant by name (extremely unprofessional).

* An interviewer seemed lost during the interview process, and kept asking me for my questions.

* After interviewing, it was implied to me that I could receive an offer but would have to accept it before hearing any details about it (even the title and compensation).

Interview Questions

• As a thought experiment (not as a literal Q&A), how did I think C++'s vTables were implemented in order to achieve multiple-inheritance and polymorphism across DLLs.   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.