BigCommerce Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

BigCommerce Interview Questions

Interviews at BigCommerce

2.9

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BigCommerce.

Interview

It was over the phone and was very impersonal and made out to be a sales pitch . I answered the questions that were asked about the company and my past experience, and was told about how great that it would be working for BC.

Interview Questions

• What salary I was looking for   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at BigCommerce.

Interview

I immediately thought I fit the role well. It seems the company had a bit of a preference to a certain type of skill set they were looking for, because lots of the questions asked in the interviews did not pertain to the role description. I made it through 5 rounds of interviews and ended up not hearing a response back at all. Very discouraging to go so far into a process and not hear back.

Interview Questions

• Would you be okay with working more than 40 hours one week?   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at BigCommerce (Austin, TX (US)) in September 2019.

Interview

Phone Screen: A recruiter called me about a week or so after applying online. This was a high level conversation and we discussed the next steps in the process

First Interview: This was a Zoom meeting with the hiring manager. We had an in-depth conversation about his team, his expectations of the role, and we discussed my background a bit. This conversation lasted 30-45 minutes.

Second Interview: This was another Zoom meeting with the hiring manager's manager. Before this meeting, the recruiter arranged time to help me prepare for this interview. She recommended that I do some research on the SaaS pricing model. Ultimately I was presented with some conceptual thinking questions about that very topic. This wasn't incredibly difficult but required some on the spot thinking. The interviewer gave me some positive feedback and allotted some time for me to ask him questions. He mentioned that my next step would likely require flying to Austin for an in-person interview.

Third Interview: The third interview was a phone interview with the hiring manager's grand manager. I expected this to be the last gate prior to an in-person interview, but it was a quick "So do you want this job?" type of conversation and he gave me a verbal offer. The offer was fair and in the middle of my range. The benefits package was reasonable and they offered relocation assistance.

I turned down the offer primarily because I had another offer on the table. But I was also disappointed to not be able to see the office prior to accepting the position. This would have required a relocation across the country and I would have liked an opportunity to visit the office and meet the hiring manager and his team in person.

The recruiters at BigCommerce are great. Incredibly helpful and very quick to keep me updated throughout the process.

Accounting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at BigCommerce (Austin, TX (US)).

Interview

Recruiter phone screen. Video interview. 2 hour in person interview. Then you get strung along by the recruiter with promises to have updates for you for over a month until she eventually just starts completely ignoring all emails. Extremely unprofessional and disrespectful to applicants and their time. Wouldn’t waste your time applying here.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at BigCommerce (Austin, TX (US)) in July 2019.

Interview

Call from recruiter - phone screen scheduled. There were two roles I was interested in and was open to even taking a step back to work for the company. After the phone screen, which seemed to go well, I was sent a template rejection email for one of the roles. I sent 2 follow up emails to the recruiter asking about the status of the other role and respectfully asked for feedback since the roles were reposted later on. Never got a response.

Advice: Job seekers take time out of their day to prep for and participate in interviews. Simple feedback goes a long way. Ghosting only serves to tarnish your company’s reputation.

Digital Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BigCommerce (Austin, TX (US)) in July 2019.

Interview

Terrible overall experience...

Had 2-3 recruiters communicating with me at once through the final stages—it was hard to keep track of who was who and who to contact.

Interview with the hiring manager was a joke. He told me he was leaving "to travel" and seemed very dull and unmotivated. Why would a company ask someone to make a hiring decision if they were leaving? Seems odd to me. So yeah, no manager for this role yet.

For an entry-level role, they required me to do a full research paper on one of their competitors including charts and graphs explaining what they (BigCommerce) could be doing better in 3 areas of marketing. The tools needed to complete this project aren't free to use so it was difficult to do the project. I shouldn't have spent 8+ hours on this (rolling eyes). Big waste of time.

Final interview: No one knows what the heck this role is about. It's a new position with no manager (because they're hiring for this too haha). I was given the impression that this role would be a blend of creative and analytical and found out that this is a support role to take the crappy work from team members so they can do "what they want to do." Isn't that what internships are for? Ha, not someone who is looking to launch their career.

Beware of the people interviewing you. They let employees who have been there for 1-month interview you and ask you negative questions like "tell me about your weaknesses" — guess what? No one asked me about my strengths!! Absurd. All they cared about were my faults. Greeeeaaattt who wants to work with these people? Not me. They also tried to test my knowledge just to puff themselves up. It felt like they Googled the top 5 negative interview questions to ask.

My advice: have someone in upper management review interview questions of employees to ensure they are in line with the job role and culture because this just made BigCommerce look bad.

Honestly, that was the biggest reason I decided to part ways. Who I work with matters to me. Interviews are about getting to know your future team and find commonalities, not corner their future teammate and make them feel very low at the end.

I happily removed myself from this job.

Good luck to whoever takes this role. I truly hope you have a different experience than me.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you didn't meet a goal. What did you do?   Answer Question

Marketing Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

Application

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter, phone interview with member of the communications team, in-person interview, informal phone call with team lead, offer received very shortly after. Very simple and straightforward process.

Interview Questions

• What are your career goals?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when a coworker disagreed with an idea of yours.   Answer Question
    • Can you offer some critiques of our blog, social media or case studies?   Answer Question

Developer Documentation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at BigCommerce (Austin, TX (US)) in March 2019.

Interview

I applied in March for this position. Before I begin, I want to state that there were no problems with the recruiter I dealt with in HR. She was very friendly and helpful throughout the entire process.

I went through the initial phone screening, technical exam, and then panel interviews were scheduled. I interviewed with 5 people over 3 30-minute segments, 2-2-1 format. I wasn't selected for the position in April, but I was told I was being considered as the choice for the position that would be starting in June. So, I would interview with the person who was selected instead of me to make sure I was a good fit for the team. (Sounds like I finished in the top few people.)

Ok, move forward to late April. I notice they repost the job, so I reach out to HR to check if I was still being considered or needed to do anything. No, we're still on track. They set up the next interview that day. The person they hired instead of me missed the interview, so had to reschedule. Finally had the last interview with the newest team member, and everything seemed to go well.

Wednesday, May 1st, I receive a call from my HR recruiter advising me that I'm the #1 candidate for the position, that they have to finish all interviews for due diligence, but ask if I can still start on the start date in June. I say yes, and she says she will have the final decision by Friday, May 10th.

I think to myself, Great, things are firming up. Sounds like I have it, and I should start making serious plans for relocating and getting things ready since we're about four weeks out now. A company surely wouldn't tell someone they're the #1 candidate and they're finishing up everything else unless they plan to hire them, right?

Wrong. Wednesday, May 8th, I receive a 30 second call at the end of the day telling me that they decided to go with an internal candidate for the position. Again, if I wasn't clear before, I know that this is not HR's fault; they have to deal with everything from both ends, whether they agree or not. They have a very hard job, and I respect that.

However, I would advise BigCommerce's hiring managers for any roles that these kinds of practices are seen as unprofessional at best, very flaky and disingenuous at worst. I would recommend not building someone up just to let them down in such a way only to hold them through the process. These are real people out here applying for these roles.

Interview Questions

• What is something about you that would make a hiring manager not want to hire you?   Answer Question
    • I know this is a loaded question, but what is it that you think you're going to be doing here?   Answer Question

Senior Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BigCommerce (Austin, TX (US)) in March 2019.

Interview

Very prompt and responsive. I received a call from recruiting and had a brief conversation at what they were looking for and my experience. From there, I had a call with the hiring manager and a week later was brought onsite for an in person interview.
    The in person was lovely. We kept to the schedule. The questions were not the plain old boring, tell me about a time. They were focused on who I was and how I worked more than my skills. They were very transparent about the challenges they faced and asked my input on how I would solve those challenges.

Interview Questions

• How do you bring change in an organization that is going through rapid growth and already dealing with a lot of change?   1 Answer

Finance Manager Interview

Interview

I don't typically leave reviews on here but this was such a chaotic mess that I felt I had to at least mention something to, hopefully, spare others the waste of time that I went through.

After receiving a call from their HR department, we set a meeting up for the following week. That meeting was then cancelled <24 hours before our meeting and pushed out another week. A little bit before our (early) morning interview, I receive an email that the recruiter is running ten minutes behind. No big deal, I know meetings can run a bit long and I appreciated the update. However, I am now writing this two hours after our meeting was supposed to start and haven't heard anything despite the 'ten minute' update.

Easily one of the worst interview experiences I have had to date which is a shame as I was very interested in the role itself.

I would advise others to steer clear of the company - if their recruiting process is this dysfunctional and disrespectful of candidates' time, I can only imagine what a nightmare it is actually working there.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.