BigCommerce Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

BigCommerce Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at BigCommerce

3.7

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at BigCommerce (Austin, TX (US)) in April 2018.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter a few days later. The recruiter setup a phone screen interview, which went well. I was given a coding challenge to work on, and once completed, sent back a link to a repo with my solution. After that, I was invited to come to the office to meet and interview with members of the team for about 3 1/2 hours.

I had four different interviews with team members, some solo, some in pairs. I talked about the types of projects I've worked on in my career, development experience, processes I've used, and so on. We talked about my coding challenge solution. It was the type of interview you should expect as a professional software developer. Not easy, but not trying to trip you up either.

It was overall an enjoyable experience, and I was surprised when time came to wrap up considering the length. Be prepared to talk about not just your experience, but also your thoughts and philosophy as a software developer.

Interview Questions

• Be knowledgeable about functional programming. Experience with and good processes and code reviews is important as you'll be working with teams.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for BigCommerce

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at BigCommerce (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

I was first approached by a 'recruiter' at BigCommerce 3 months ago. After going in for an in-person interview, I never heard back from them - they simply fell off the radar. A couple of months later recruiters are at my door again. Reluctantly, I allow the process to continue by giving them the benefit of the doubt as I was told that the person in charge for filling the new San Francisco office at the time was not an actual recruiter.

After the recruiter had initially reached out it took at least a week to even get to scheduling a initial call (initial for this second round). Why I even had to speak to a recruiter again is puzzling. Incidentally, I was approached by 2 other 'recruiters' of theirs asking if I would like to learn more about some new and exciting opportunity with a super-cool company called BigCommerce. I literally rolled my eyes and laughed out loud. I thought, 'Wow, these guys really don't have their act together' and the red flags went up immediately. Needless to say, I went into this call fairly skeptical.

I hear back from the 'recruiter' a few days later to schedule time to speak with someone else. I let this abomination of a process continue its course as I thought I would finally get the opportunity to speak to someone on the inside (surely, this nonsense is relegated strictly to the hiring process!). The time that was appointed for the call came and went. Very frustrated, I decided that was the last straw. I wrote an email to inform about the noshow and bow out of this nightmare.

Almost right after I sent this email, a 'recruiter' called me up. After a vehement string of apologies and assurances I again, foolishly let this thing continue...

The call with this 'director of engineering' actually happened this time but the call was boring, not very insightful, and he was one of those people that talks way too much about things of little significance. The call went well over the 30mins I had scheduled. It ended abruptly and I never heard from him again...

I advise, if you are considering this place - don't. This place is ridiculously unorganized and that alone, is nothing but a bad indication of what else is going on there.

btw, after I sent my last correspondence saying enough was enough, I was contacted by another one of their 'recruiters' asking me if I'd like to learn more about joining a super-cool company called BigCommerce. *slowclap* bravo bigcommerce *slowclap* ...

Interview Questions

• n/a. I asked the questions. He answered with lengthy anecdotes of little importance.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sydney

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at BigCommerce (Sydney) in May 2015.

Interview

* Really quick, my whole process from when the Recruiter contacted me to getting a job offer was only 4 days. Literary by the end of the week I knew I had the job.
    * Spoke with some awesome people. What convinced me that this was the right place was the people I got to meet and speak to. From the Engineering Manager, to the other software engineers, to even the Recruiter and local HR Person it was awesome.
    * There were a few stages: phone screens, face to face technicals, coding tasks and face to face group panels.
    * After getting an offer I also did a background check
    * Before my first day I received my on-boarding program plan so I knew what to expect week 1 through to month 3
    * Day 1 was fantastic, no other company have I had such a warm welcome and I'm impressed that Bigcommerce had their s*** together. The on-boarding program itself was fun, I onramped fast, touched the code real fast and am just loving it.

Interview Questions

• * Some Technical Questions to gauge my capabilities in PHP and Ruby
      * Some questions to dig into how I like to work, my hobbies, values etc   2 Answers

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at BigCommerce (Sydney).

Interview

The hiring process wasn't great... but not entirely negative.

I was initially contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn and asked to come in for a technical interview, then called back for a subsequent round of technical interviews the following week. The engineering director was unable attend any of the sessions and conducted a behavioural interview over Skype.

Questions varied wildly from standard agency style pop-quiz stuff (name the types of indices available in MySQL) to Google style brain teaser (write a program on the white board in Brainfuck). It was all a bit odd considering the role I was interviewing for was primarily PHP/MySQL/Linux and most of the questions I was asked (especially in the second round came) straight from the first 3 chapters of programming pearls.

No offer was extended, however I was advised to "try again" in six months. Overall I found the recruiter I worked with friendly, professional and efficient.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of integers too large to fit into memory, identify duplicates. The memory constraint was continuously tightened as possible solutions were suggested.   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.