Deakin University Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Deakin University Interview Questions

Interviews at Deakin University

2.8

Lecturer Interview

Interview

I applied online and interviewed via phone. awful experience!!! They were in a rush. They called me 20 mins before the scheduled time because they finished another interview earlier?! I am overseas. don't know if that's the problem. I could hardly hear what they were saying. it was like they conducted the interview in a football stadium with all the noise around!

Interview Questions

• I could hardly hear what they were saying. based on a few keywords, it sounds standard interview questions.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Deakin University.

Interview

The interview process was far too slow and impersonal. Two weeks after the advertised cut-off date, I was sent a link to a one-way online video interview that required me to talk at a screen for 8 min. I didn’t have a chance to ask questions or see the interviewers on the other side. It felt dehumanising and made me wonder about how Deakin treat staff if they’re willing to be so impersonal and “top-down” with their candidates. Three weeks after that, I was offered a face-to-face interview. Shortly before my interview I withdrew from the process because I was offered a position at another university. Most jobseekers don’t have a spare 2+ months to wait around for one company to get back to them.

Interview Questions

• Create and deliver an 8 minute lesson plan via a video, then deliver a 30 minute lesson to a panel   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Deakin University (Melbourne).

Interview

You have first apply resume and cover letter online > then the team will asked you to fix resume and reapply > if your resume is qualified you will receive a link to record a video interview > if you past you will be involved in a face to face or group interview.

Student Mentor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Deakin University in February 2019.

Interview

Interview is of three rounds
    1.) Initial application screening
    2.) Face to Face Interview with panel
    3.) Group Discussion
    4.) We were told we will get an email if selected
    5.) Got an email after a week

Interview Questions

• Interview is of Behavioral questions   1 Answer

Service Desk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Geelong

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Deakin University (Geelong) in June 2018.

Interview

Great interview. The panel were great and welcoming. They asked a lot of valid questions regarding the role. I had fun throughout the interview. They offered the role within a week.

Lecturer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Deakin University (Sydney) in April 2018.

Interview

In my view, the whole process was awful and non-academic. This university does not know how to deal with perspective staffs.

I saw the job advertisement that said that someone having experience in very generic area is required. Asked the HOD (whose email was given in the advertisement) if I will fit to the call. Got a positive response and was encouraged to apply. I applied online and got shortlisted for the first round of interview (panel). Cleared the round and attended last round of interview. After the interview, was asked to send extra recommendation letters “as soon as possible” as the process was supposed to be finished in few days. Thereafter, the real drama started. I did not hear anything for 2 weeks after the interview. Sent an email to the hiring committee, got no response. After three weeks, contacted HR, who told me that the process would finish in two days, and someone will definitely contact me by then. But, got no response. Then called HR, who apologized and told someone will surely call me after 2 hours. Two weeks passed, no call/email. At that time, I found the job being advertised again with the more specific requirement. Again contacted HR asking about the status of my application. Got the same reply: “the process will be completed by the end of the week, and I will hear something soon.” No one contacted. After a couple of weeks, called the HR, and categorically asked if I am seriously considered as the position is advertised. She said she is going to talk to the hiring committee then only, and someone will surely call to describe what’s going on within an hour. Again a week passed, no one contacted.

Finally got more curious, and talked to some professors from different universities who have served in hiring committees. They were surprised by this treatment of the university. They advised that probably they are holding my application but have advertised the position again. Although this process is normal, the way the university communicated is something I must consider if I want to work there (even if I do not have a permanent job). I also thought that I would not fit into the culture. Thus, withdrew my application after several months of the application. To my withdraw email, someone replied and told me that “the process is ongoing and will take a few more months.” However, before my email, they did not have the guts to tell me that (i) we like your application, but not to a point we can extend you an offer, (ii) so, we want to advertise the position again to see if we can get a better person than you, (iii) and if we fail to find someone better, we may consider to offer you, (iv) so bear with us for a few months. Rather, they treated me like a ping-pong ball by giving a lot of dishonest answers.

Technical Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Deakin University.

Interview

Went for an interview quite a while back, answered questions discussing technical stuff. Later turned out that most of the stuff I discussed was too deep for them. The interview was typical, the boss was an old woman who had no problems interrupting people in the middle of sentences, and gave a dictatorial vibe, the others seemed intimidated by her. Two of the other interviewers seemed nervous and flinched sometimes when I made eye contact during my answers. Overall the questions were vague, and I got the feeling that my answers were going over their heads . Later I heard that they had hired someone they know.
    I would advise people from going to their interviews, because most of the time they hire people they know, and basically hold sham interviews to fill out the paperwork, and uphold the pretence of a fair chance, since it is a public university.

Interview Questions

• How will you fit into the team (How would I know that without meeting the team...)?   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Deakin University (Melbourne) in July 2017.

Interview

Panel interview with mostly behavioural questions, seemed like they had already made up their mind about a candidate and this interview was just a sham. they were not engaged at all.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geelong

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Deakin University (Geelong) in May 2016.

Interview

Typical Interview questions and discussion, 4 interviewer following protocol of interview questions, not very personal, approximately 10-15 questions, most of them very outcome focused and future orientated, open discussion at the end, but interviewer did not leave much space for thinking, expected prompt answers (as of my feeling), felt pressured.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Geelong

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Deakin University (Geelong) in December 2014.

Interview

Casual interview. Very friendly interviewers. Questions are straightforward. Focuses on your wether you will fit in the diverse culture. Technical skills were pretty obvious. They don't try to hassle you but rather learning about your skills and how they benefit their overall picture.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a difficult situation and how you handled it.   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.