GameStop Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 16 Apr 2019

2.0

Sort:

Corporate Office Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grapevine, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at GameStop (Grapevine, TX (US)).

Interview

I had a phone screening and then was scheduled for an in person interview the next week at the corporate office. I met with one manager and was invited back for a second on site interview two weeks later. Was told I would hear back in about two weeks. I thought I had done well in both interviews and I was excited.

I heard nothing. I followed up with the recruiter after 2 weeks and was then scheduled for what he called a final on site interview. Later that same day the recruiter let me know that the interview would have to be rescheduled.

I didn't hear back after a week, emailed to follow up. Still nothing. Emailed the manager of the department I had interviewed with and was told they had gone with another candidate.

This whole process spanned almost two whole months. I did not receive any emails or phone calls notifying me that they had gone with another candidate. I had to follow up and be persistent to get any answers. I missed time from my current job to attend both interviews. Gamestop obviously has no regard for their candidate's time.

Interview Questions

Interview

I had one interview which lasted about 10 minutes. I got a call two days later offering me the job. If you can walk upright and speak somewhat normally you'll get it because that is all they are looking for

Interview Questions

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at GameStop in December 2018.

Interview

You will receive a call from your DM to set up a face to face interview. If selected they will contact you. Your face to face interview will be easy if you focus your answers around providing excellent customer service and plans on how to exceed sales and profit goals.

Interview Questions

• How did you solve a guest problem by listening and offering?   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mobile, AL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at GameStop (Mobile, AL (US)) in October 2010.

Interview

I submitted my application/resume online through the corporate website. The DM contacted me for an interview. I was offered the position within a couple of months.

Negotiation

I had laid out my expectations and requests during the interview process, so the offer was acceptable.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GameStop (Portland, OR (US)) in November 2009.

Interview

A close friend just hired me on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Can you work until 1am on Mondays?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Easy.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GameStop (Lansing, MI (US)) in October 2008.

Interview

Unfortunately any position below SM is usually done by the SM, and most of them have no idea what they are doing. By being well dressed, well spoken and knowledgeable and friendly, you already stand out among the hundreds of dumb people that apply each year.

Interview Questions

• If you were a kitchen appliance, what would you be and why?   1 Answer

Negotiation

None, they make an offer, take it or leave it.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cordova, TN (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at GameStop (Cordova, TN (US)) in May 2010.

Interview

I went to turn into my application to the former store manager. The application was pretty easy and straight forward. When I turned in my application he told me that they had one opening and he was still reviewing applications and he would give me a call back. The day after he called me to schedule an interview the next day if I was available. I went to my interview dressed in jeans and a polo as I had seen the employees wearing for years. The interview was really laid back and we had our interview at Starbucks. After the interview was over (about 30 minutes later) he said that he would really like to have me on the team and proceeded to schedule my first day of work.

Interview Questions

• Describe your strengths and weaknesses when dealing with the public day to day?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Try and negotiate a little above minimum wage especially if you have previous retail experience, They may say they have to go through their district manager.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Meriden, CT (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GameStop (Meriden, CT (US)) in October 2009.

Interview

I hand submitted an application. These can be obtained in store or on their website (no online submission, unless for SM/DM level positions).

Hand in the application yourself. When parents would hand in applications for their 17, 18, EVEN 19 YEAR OLD "children," I would immediately consider them a "last ditch effort." Having someone else hand in your application demonstrates that you have little responsibility, and in general don't care about the job.

I called the store for a followup after one week; if merited, call back again every other week.

I dressed casually for the interview. The dress code at GameStop requires you to wear a polo, sweater, or collared shirt. Regular t-shirts are allowed if provided through promotional kits. Jeans or khakis are fine with sneakers / dress shoes; no shorts and no sandals. Loafers are allowed, although upper management may decide what you can / cannot wear.

In other words, dress for the job.

I was asked my previous experience, my familiarity with consoles, game genres, and customer service. The important factor is how well you can / cannot deal with other people. It is also important how well you can sell. Knowledge is perhaps the least important asset, and if anything, will be considered last.

Too often would neckbeards, forever alones, and other gaming "enthusiasts" apply for positions, only to be denied following interviews. GameStop does not care how quickly you played through Demon's Souls. Your opinion on why the XBOX 360 is better than the PS3 is moot. How many consoles you own, and games you play a week is depressing. These will not help you get the store a profit, and likely will only annoy your socially competent coworkers.

Any and all gaming knowledge can / will come following your hiring.

Be cool, calm, and collected, in order to demonstrate you are competent at alphabetizing, using a POS system, and talking to human beings that aren't digitized.

Interview Questions

• "Name a previous experience where you turned a negative interaction with a customer into a positive one."   1 Answer

Negotiation

I came from a retail job where I made $12.00/hr, and worked full time. I attempted to bargain for a comprable pay. The Store Manager at the time burst out laughing (no joke). She started me off at 25¢ (8.25) above minimum wage as a part time GA.

Interview

The interview process is based on if you know someone or if your applying for a seasonal position.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GameStop (Philadelphia, PA (US)) in April 2011.

Interview

One interview, sit down with district manager in mall location. Questions focused on former team building and program selling. Big plus if your previous company was membership based, as the Gamestop experience requires lots of club selling with power up rewards.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions, but don't expect to go in talking about video games.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.