Michael Hill Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Michael Hill Interview Questions

Interviews at Michael Hill

2.6

Interview

pleasant managers and was easy to express your skills and ask questions about the job. Managers were explicit about the job offer and the pay. The were happy to talk to you

Interview Questions

• have you had a retail experience before   1 Answer

Manager Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Michael Hill (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

The interview process was a lie. They told me that previous employees had retired, which made it sound good but they had actually gotten fired. There was a lot of paper work to fill out and 3 seperate interviews. 1 with the HR director. 1 with the regional manager. And 1 with the store manager with the store you would be working at.

Retail Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Michael Hill.

Interview

Met the manager at nearby cafe, we didn't order coffees though, and held the interview there. We chatted about this and about that and finally got to the questions and details about the job, salary, environment and expected hours.

Regional Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Michael Hill (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in August 2020.

Interview

Overall, this interview process clearly indicated why reviews about this organization are so poor; the common concerns about this employer are lack of teamwork and collaboration, lack of fairness and equality, and high sales expectations with little reward.

After the online application I was sent a skills and IQ test - admittedly the test was challenging and really required concentration and working well under pressure. It was timed (you have about a minute and 30 seconds per question) and the questions were a combination of reasoning, riddles, and problem-solving with ratios. After not completing the test (I only got about half way through before it timed out but am certain I got the completed questions correct), I was contacted by a talent acquisition partner for an interview.

As someone who has been conducting interviews for the last 15+ years, I am accustomed to starting an interview with some pleasantries and greetings, brief personal conversation to get to know the candidate and to be friendly, and understanding a little bit about the candidates’ work experience - my interviewer did none of these. She launched right into the fact that she would be taking notes in case there were long pauses in between my questions, that she was trying to determine if I was a right fit for the role and screening to pass me on to the next, and then launched right into a series of questions. It was VERY clear that she was reading from a list of prepared questions because she would ask the question, type for a while longer to capture my responses, and then ask the next question - there were no follow-up questions to dig deeper into my responses, no effort to make the interview more conversational, and no offer at the end to allow me to ask any questions I might have about the organization or role. *The only way I was allowed to ask a question was when my interviewer asked me a question and I said that I had a follow up question (she asked what I expected to accomplish in the first 12 months in position and I followed up with, “what would the organization expect me to accomplish within the first 6 to 12 months?”); she did not have an answer for me and could not respond as she didn’t know for sure, but “assumed that it would be making sales plan like all other retailers”.

At the end of the interview (again no offer for what questions I may have), I was told that she emailed my responses to the hiring manager, that she would be setting me up for a second interview, and to expect to hear from her either by end of week or early the following week. A week and a half later I sent a follow-up email inquiring after next steps and if I could submit questions about the organization to her... 48 hours after that I got a generic turn down email.

Overall I found the interview unimaginative, not informative, and absolutely not engaging. I walked away not wanting to work for Michael Hill as a result, and it is clear to me why the organization is rated only three stars from former employees, and why some of the concerns are present. How can you find engaged, high-performing, and skilled sales people when the first point of contact with an organization is so generic and unfriendly?

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Michael Hill (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

The interview process was a phone call and then in person. The vibe of the in person interview was very uncomfortable as it came across it wouldn’t be a professional environment.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the company?   1 Answer

Learning and Development Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Michael Hill (Melbourne) in February 2020.

Interview

I found the interview process to be unstructured and unprofessional (when needing a PD only to receive this 15 min prior to the interview) to receiving an outcome to the interview via email stating that they hired internally. I find this rude as a conversation took place informing me she would call back to notify me either way. Their rating on here demonstrates a true reflection on the company. Poor!

Interview Questions

• Describe your career to date?   1 Answer

Michael Hill Response

11 Mar 2020 – Talent Acquisition Manager

We are disappointed to hear about your recruitment experience. We have looked into the particular situation with your interview and have addressed the matter internally, as this does not align to our expected standards or procedures.

Please be assured that our recruitment processes are of a high professional and structured standard – in line with our values. In addition, PD’s should be supplied as a part of the interview confirmation or earlier if requested.

With regard to notifications, we generally notify by email for phone interviews but if we offer to do otherwise, then we would always expect to honour that.

Warehouse Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brisbane

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Michael Hill (Brisbane) in December 2019.

Interview

Have been interviews by 2 of the managers at the main office in Brisbane. They asked me questions about resume and also lots of behavioural questions. They were friendly and helpful.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioural questions And some questions based on resume   1 Answer

Seasonal Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Victoria, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Michael Hill (Victoria, BC (Canada)) in December 2019.

Interview

Had a quick chat with the store manager and we agreed to meet for a formal interview a couple of days later. The manager was very friendly and questions were open ended

Warehouse Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brisbane

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Michael Hill (Brisbane) in December 2019.

Interview

getting an email and then a call from the company to arrange an interview. I went to the office had an interview with 2 of the managers. They asked me many behavioural questions and some questions about my resume.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakville, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Michael Hill (Oakville, ON (Canada)) in August 2019.

Interview

Last stage was You and Branch Manager, took approximately 45 minutes over coffee shop in mall after 2 online tests one for personality and other matching symbols and work type scenario situations like and must pass and then phone interview.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.