PagerDuty Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

PagerDuty Interview Questions

Interviews at PagerDuty

Product Operations Manager Interview

Interview

The process was fairly straightforward with a HR phone screen, hiring manager call, short writing prompt, and final interview (~3.5 hours) with 4 people. The process was quick and the people were nice- no complaints! However, I felt incredibly, incredibly disrespected when I didn't hear a final decision until almost an entire month later. Just let someone know. I knew I didn't get the job, but I would have appreciated being let know instead of giving me no closure. Disrespectful.

Enterprise Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at PagerDuty (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

I was referred by a friend who is well respected within the organization and has been at PagerDuty for years. I did an initial phone interview and was told they’d get back to. However...I never heard back. Not once. I reached out 2-3 times after my initial thank you email and still never heard back. From anyone. When I told my friend...she was taken back and a bit embarrassed about how things were handled. I say it’s a lack of professionalism, courtesy and respect.

Demand Generation Manager Interview

Interview

Applied online and quickly received an email from a recruiter asking to schedule a call and for a copy of my resume. Sent him my resume within 24 hours and he ghosted me despite my follow-up. 10 or so days later I received a rejection email.

Incredibly pathetic display of courtesy, follow-through, and decency.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at PagerDuty (Atlanta, GA (US)) in February 2020.

Interview

The process started with a standard phone screen from the recruiter. About a week later I had a phone interview with the hiring manager with standard behavioral questions, e.g. regarding working in a team and software developer successes and failures.

The on-site interview was three segments plus lunch. A 1:1 session with the hiring the hiring manager drilling in on more technical discussions regarding SW architecture and process. There was a live coding challenge where you can use any environment you want. There was also a database modeling session given a product idea to implement. The latter two sessions included remote team members dialing in. The interview ended with a brief overview of the company and benefits with the recruiter.

Overall I thought the process was straightforward and fair, though I had wish there was more time to dive into what the engineering teams were actually working on. I also generally got the vibe that interviewers other than the hiring manager were super invested in the interview; I never heard a couple of the folks speak during the sessions.

Interview Questions

• What design considerations should you incorporate for a scalable, HA service?   Answer Question
    • Describe a project that you worked on and that didn't go well.   Answer Question
    • When would you use functional vs. object oriented programming?   Answer Question

Technical Support Specialist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at PagerDuty (Atlanta, GA (US)) in January 2020.

Interview

It was a very fast process but there were many steps. There was a couple phone interviews and then a in-person interview. The phone interviews were very simple about 45 mins each. The in-person interview has multiple parts and takes several hours. I recommend you try your hardest to get prepared before the in-person, especially the last part. The questions are fairly simple as long as you are prepared

Accounts Receivable Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PagerDuty (New York, NY (US)) in December 2019.

Interview

Two separate interviews sessions about an hour long with manager and managers manager. Easy questions to answer if you know your job and good at it. Positive experience overall straight forward direct questions and answers

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at PagerDuty (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

First, I was greeted by a dead-eyed, remote recruiter, barely able to communicate about the company coherently, or even the job. During most of the interview, they don't even let you in the building. They keep you sequestered outside of it in a tiny, prison-like little squat. Eventually, you get a tour. I was subjected to myriad "good cop, bad cop" interviews by teams of people ranging from fairly intelligent, to just plain uninspiring. It sure seemed like they just didn't have any passion for what they were doing. People want you to know they are the gatekeepers. They don't want you to ask too many probing questions. They don't want you to dig too deeply or they get threatened. I don't know what insecurities they are hiding or if they're just trying to hire "yes people" masquerading as "culture fit" behavioral interrogation. I got the distinct sense that there were a lot of people concerned about hiring someone that might have superior skills or experience to theirs. A comic joke. Almost like a parody of a job interview from The Office. Embarrassing stuff. Seriously. I think this might be okay if you're super junior. Anyone with any real experience needs to keep away from this in my opinion. It's totally small fish and the staff beyond tedious and boring. Yawn. Good riddance.

Interview Questions

• "Why PagerDuty? Why are we so special to you as an opportunity?"   Answer Question
    • "How do you handle people who don't take direction easily?"   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PagerDuty.

Interview

Three stage process: phone call with a recruiter, phone call with the hiring manager, and finally an onsite interview where I had several 1:1 interviews with team members as well as a group lunch.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at PagerDuty (San Francisco, CA (US)) in October 2019.

Interview

Had a phone screen with the recruiter followed by an interview with the hiring manager. Then I had a programming "Homework" assignment. I also had a "team" interview with 4 or 5 folks either on my team or associated with it.

Product Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at PagerDuty (San Francisco, CA (US)) in August 2019.

Interview

Hands down the best interview process I have ever had and I didn't even get the job! The whole process was 3-4 weeks. First, I had an interview with Margie in HR, pretty typical questions and she had the time to answer anything I had to ask. Then I did an interview with a hiring manager, that also went smoothly on their side and I got through to the next round even though I didn't think I slam dunked all the questions.

The last round was a half day in person. They sent an email telling me what to expect and it even had tips for how to prep for the interview. It started off with a tour of the SF office (if you get there early you can do this). And then I spent the rest of the morning with 6 different people for 30-45 mins each. Some were on Zoom because they were either out of the office or in Canada. I was supposed to have a quick 15-20 lunch break (free lunch on them from the cafeteria) but we ran over time with a couple of the early interviews. I was glad I brought a power bar and a large water. Two of the interviewers were pretty tough and asked for examples of how I would handle specific problems. I really liked most of the people I spoke with and I'm not an easy person to win over.

It ended back with Margie for 30mins asking how I felt, how it went, if I had any questions, and a 15min video presentation of benefits. Extremely courteous and professional. I left REALLY wanting the job. The in person was on a Friday and by Wednesday of the next week Margie arranged a call for that day. When we spoke she told me the job had been put "on hold" and if/when they could, they would we be back in touch to pick up where we left off. I followed up about a month later and it didn't sound like the job was available. So take all that as you will.

Overall a great experience and I'll be looking at their job board again. They IPOed about 6 months ago so it will be interesting to see what happens with their employees.

Kudos to Margie and all the teams for a great overall experience!

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.