PagerDuty Reviews

Updated 15 Sep 2020

4.6
PagerDuty CEO Jennifer Tejada
Jennifer Tejada
Pros
  • "Work/Life balance is 100% there, for me at least(in 21 reviews)

• "Good management who are always open to new ideas, catered lunch, great people with lots of enthusiasm, helpful mentorship(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains as the company scales(in 14 reviews)

• "The company is growing quickly and we're far past the point of being able to know all the people and what they're working on(in 12 reviews)

1. "Awesome culture & team!"

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great company culture such as ERG groups like SisterDuty, RainbowDuty etc - Managers are supportive and we have good development plans in place - Internal career development sessions - Good opportunity to grow in your career as it's a growing startup and they do promote/hire internally!

Cons

- A few startup growth pains

2. "Leading company"

4.0
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Sydney

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Leading SaaS company, great products

Cons

No downsides, just under high pressure for sales

Talent Acquisition Coordinator

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback with us! It has been an amazing year, filled with awesome product launches and innovations. As we continue to grow our Sales team definitely plays an essential part in helping us achieve our goals, and their hard work is what is helping to allow us to do epic things. We are excited for what’s to come, and we are so lucky to have you running with us!

"Sales Manager"

1.0

I worked at PagerDuty full-time

Pros

Market opportunities are great. Should be able to take advantage of the market conditions and consolidate gains.

Cons

Local management is inexperienced. Come from technical background so are very focussed on "feature/benefit" selling.

4. "High Growth Region"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in London, England

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Collaborative and diverse culture, high growth, great opportunities to develop and get promoted

Cons

Need to be comfortable in challenging yourself to perform consistently as it's a high growth region, need to have a growth mindset

Continue reading
  5. "They care about people when it's convenient"

4.0
    Current Employee - Security Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

• Tons of supportive coworkers, learning resources, people who share knowledge. • Line managers are almost half women in some departments. • Black representation is steadily increasing, including in engineering. • PagerDuty invests in social impact. It's marketing, but they put money and time into genuine social impact, through donations, product licenses, and 24 hours of paid volunteer time. • PagerDuty has career architectures and mentorship programs to help employees grow across many roles, and a program to move to a new team if you want to develop new skills in a different role.

Cons

• A few genius jerks run rampant in engineering. Criticizing them is punished. • Promotions and opportunities are strongly biased towards men. • The old PagerDuty bro culture hides under toxic positivity. • ERGs are for marketing. • They try to make everyone care about sales, including engineering. • Compensation in SF is below average. Compensation in other locations is good, and above average in Toronto. • Benefits like health, donation-matching, and 401k matching fall short of similarly sized startups. • Read between the lines on what the above two statements mean for PagerDuty's income. It's great on the market, it's a great product that's a gold standard, but the profit margins don't compare to what B2C or the larger B2B orgs are bringing in.

Continue reading
  6. "Amazing management & coworkers"

Current Employee - Business Development

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Managers were friendly, considerate, supportive, and very knowledgeable -Coworkers were super hardworking and nice, always looked out for one another

Cons

No major cons at PD

People Team

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We love hearing that you're enjoying the wonderful culture we have here at PagerDuty! Our culture and our people are so important to us and ultimately is what makes working at PagerDuty so unique! If you'd like to chat more, please reach out to a member of our People Team.

7. "One of the best companies I have worked for"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing team and leadership. The management genuinely takes the time to get feedback from employees and improve. The company culture is pretty awesome and there are a lot of opportunities to work on interesting engineering problems. Good Work Life Balance.

Cons

Growing competition, especially from big players. PagerDuty has a lot of work ahead of it to come out on top.

People Team

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! We love hearing that you're enjoying the culture we have here at PagerDuty. Doing epic things means encouraging our teams to take risks and bring new ideas to the table as often as possible. Thanks for all you do to build and deliver the best products for our customers. Keep thriving! If there's any way we can support. Please reach out to a member of our People Team.

"Excellent Company, Growth and Execution Challenges"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Toronto, ON

I worked at PagerDuty full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Superb compensation plan - Product is industry leading - Customers want to learn about and buy the product; lots of inbound interest - Excellent marketing function; helps drive pipeline - Opportunity to grow professionally; promotion or transfer into new roles - Fantastic diversity and inclusion; no one ever feels left out - Learn from some of the industries best DevOps people - Really awesome perks like free lunches, ESPP, and wellness programs - A place where you can really come into your own as a software sales professional

Cons

- Below average sales operations; takes way too long to send/edit quotes to a customer - Lack of enablement and coaching; not a lot of feedback or direction on where to improve so you consistently feel stuck - Lack of execution and alignment; probably the biggest con. The sales org hops from one thing to the next without actually executing on anything; makes it more difficult than it should be to be successful - Could be a more encouraging environment, quite negative at times

"Potential(ly) at risk"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at PagerDuty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most PD employees are super nice and in general the company has tons of emotional intelligence. Lots of support for underrepresented groups, especially through employee resource groups. Good diversity stats compared to the industry and region (board and execs included). Managers go on-call too, not just line level workers. Work/life balance was quite reasonable, although it depends significantly on the team. Ask lots of questions about the on-call load for the specific team you're considering joining.

Cons

Strong tendency to cargo cult technical decisions and appeal to authority in discussions, probably exacerbated by.. Cultural fear of being wrong, caused by a small group in engineering who treat every interaction as a battle to be won. It wasn't uncommon for people to express fear of asking questions in certain channels out of fear one of these people (or their emulators) making them feel stupid. The engineering department probably wastes half its budget redoing work to use increasingly niche technologies as top engineers' interests meander. Most valuable stuff is owned by a team and a rotation, so if you're not a manager or lead, opportunities for individual ownership can be limited, which can make career growth challenging beyond early career.

Continue reading

"Most emotionally mature company I've ever worked at - not a single big ego"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture! Coming from startup and unicorn land, it's very refreshing to be at a company that values good communication and teamwork over "rockstars" and cowboy coders. I've not encountered a single big ego here - instead, everyone is always willing to answer questions patiently and without judgement. This is also the most trustworthy leadership I've ever worked under - I feel taken care of as an employee and I trust that they're taking us in a good direction. This is also the most diverse group I've ever worked with - especially with the outstanding (for tech) female:male ratio in engineering. They also seem to be all about promoting from within - so there is a lot of opportunity for career growth here for engineers.

Cons

Sometimes processes can be better documented, but I think that's just part of being a quickly growing company. Management are great people - but I've noticed they're stretched a little thin sometimes.

People Team

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We love hearing that you're enjoying the wonderful culture we have here at PagerDuty! Our culture is so important to us and ultimately is what makes working at PagerDuty so unique. In this period of hyper-growth, we are committed to ensuring that Dutonians across all levels feel empowered to take ownership of their work so they can see themselves, their teams, and PagerDuty be as successful as possible. If you'd like to chat more, please reach out to a member of our People Team.

Found 179 reviews