PagerDuty Reviews

Updated 7 Jul 2020

4.5
PagerDuty CEO Jennifer Tejada
Jennifer Tejada
Pros
  • "Work/Life balance is 100% there, for me at least(in 20 reviews)

• "Good management who are always open to new ideas, catered lunch, great people with lots of enthusiasm, helpful mentorship(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains as the company scales(in 14 reviews)

• "The company is growing quickly and we're far past the point of being able to know all the people and what they're working on(in 12 reviews)

1. "Awesome culture & team!"

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great company culture such as ERG groups like SisterDuty, RainbowDuty etc - Managers are supportive and we have good development plans in place - Internal career development sessions - Good opportunity to grow in your career as it's a growing startup and they do promote/hire internally!

Cons

- A few startup growth pains

2. "Leading company"

4.0
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Sydney

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Leading SaaS company, great products

Cons

No downsides, just under high pressure for sales

September 19, 2019Talent Acquisition Coordinator

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback with us! It has been an amazing year, filled with awesome product launches and innovations. As we continue to grow our Sales team definitely plays an essential part in helping us achieve our goals, and their hard work is what is helping to allow us to do epic things. We are excited for what’s to come, and we are so lucky to have you running with us!

"Sales Manager"

1.0

I worked at PagerDuty full-time

Pros

Market opportunities are great. Should be able to take advantage of the market conditions and consolidate gains.

Cons

Local management is inexperienced. Come from technical background so are very focussed on "feature/benefit" selling.

Continue reading
  4. "Excellent Company, Growth and Execution Challenges"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Toronto, ON

I worked at PagerDuty full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Superb compensation plan - Product is industry leading - Customers want to learn about and buy the product; lots of inbound interest - Excellent marketing function; helps drive pipeline - Opportunity to grow professionally; promotion or transfer into new roles - Fantastic diversity and inclusion; no one ever feels left out - Learn from some of the industries best DevOps people - Really awesome perks like free lunches, ESPP, and wellness programs - A place where you can really come into your own as a software sales professional

Cons

- Below average sales operations; takes way too long to send/edit quotes to a customer - Lack of enablement and coaching; not a lot of feedback or direction on where to improve so you consistently feel stuck - Lack of execution and alignment; probably the biggest con. The sales org hops from one thing to the next without actually executing on anything; makes it more difficult than it should be to be successful - Could be a more encouraging environment, quite negative at times

"Potential(ly) at risk"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at PagerDuty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most PD employees are super nice and in general the company has tons of emotional intelligence. Lots of support for underrepresented groups, especially through employee resource groups. Good diversity stats compared to the industry and region (board and execs included). Managers go on-call too, not just line level workers. Work/life balance was quite reasonable, although it depends significantly on the team. Ask lots of questions about the on-call load for the specific team you're considering joining.

Cons

Strong tendency to cargo cult technical decisions and appeal to authority in discussions, probably exacerbated by.. Cultural fear of being wrong, caused by a small group in engineering who treat every interaction as a battle to be won. It wasn't uncommon for people to express fear of asking questions in certain channels out of fear one of these people (or their emulators) making them feel stupid. The engineering department probably wastes half its budget redoing work to use increasingly niche technologies as top engineers' interests meander. Most valuable stuff is owned by a team and a rotation, so if you're not a manager or lead, opportunities for individual ownership can be limited, which can make career growth challenging beyond early career.

Continue reading
  6. "Most emotionally mature company I've ever worked at - not a single big ego"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture! Coming from startup and unicorn land, it's very refreshing to be at a company that values good communication and teamwork over "rockstars" and cowboy coders. I've not encountered a single big ego here - instead, everyone is always willing to answer questions patiently and without judgement. This is also the most trustworthy leadership I've ever worked under - I feel taken care of as an employee and I trust that they're taking us in a good direction. This is also the most diverse group I've ever worked with - especially with the outstanding (for tech) female:male ratio in engineering. They also seem to be all about promoting from within - so there is a lot of opportunity for career growth here for engineers.

Cons

Sometimes processes can be better documented, but I think that's just part of being a quickly growing company. Management are great people - but I've noticed they're stretched a little thin sometimes.

June 5, 2020People Team

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We love hearing that you're enjoying the wonderful culture we have here at PagerDuty! Our culture is so important to us and ultimately is what makes working at PagerDuty so unique. In this period of hyper-growth, we are committed to ensuring that Dutonians across all levels feel empowered to take ownership of their work so they can see themselves, their teams, and PagerDuty be as successful as possible. If you'd like to chat more, please reach out to a member of our People Team.

7. "Great Company that really cares about its people"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time

Pros

Great culture, takes care of employees, as transparent as can be for a company of its size.

Cons

Decision making can sometimes take a long time and be a tad bureaucratic.

8. "Nice"

Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at PagerDuty part-time

Pros

Fun and challenging place to work.

Cons

Workload sometimes can be a lot to handle.

9. COVID-19

"A company with a great culture where you feel like you truly matter"

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for less than a year

Pros

Diversity, transparency from executive team, team building events, sense of community. It’s in a crisis when you see if you matter to your company or not, and I can say Pagerduty has excelled my already high expectations during this pandemic that has had ripples all over the world and they have acted swiftly to protect their employees and making accommodations in this new world. I am really thankful I work for such an amazing company where the leaders are transparent and open to hard questions. The culture is very positive and diverse; when interviewing it was the fact that they champion diversity and walk the walk that put Pagerduty above other companies for me and I am glad to say that I look back to my interview and all the positive things my interviewers mentioned were actually true and not just selling points as sometimes it can be the case.

Cons

None that I can think of at the moment and that says a lot.

10. COVID-19

"Caring culture, great learning experience"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at PagerDuty full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Engineering managers who actually care about your career growth. Career ladder is clear and reasonable (at least at the earlier levels, that I can speak to) - Interesting and challenging work (may vary between teams) - More than just lip service (for the most part) when it comes to diversity and building a positive and open culture - Flexible work-from-home policy - Incredibly supportive policies, especially seen during COVID-19 crisis

Cons

- Company is still trying to develop strong messaging/product. We're the biggest in our space but there are others catching up so we need to be more agile - Can't speak to culture in other departments. I don't think we're as good as we could be about inter-departmental collaboration and communication - There are a few "strong personalities" in eng, despite the "no a--holes" rule. - Pay is reasonable, but not comparable to the big FAANG-type valley salaries

May 11, 2020People Team