Paylocity Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Paylocity Interview Questions

Updated 16 May 2018

2.8

Learning and Development Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Paylocity.

Interview

This was one of the weirdest interview experiences I've ever had. The recruiter was an overly confident twenty-something, and that set the tone for much of the interview. I am not kidding when I say he took up a solid five minutes discussing his work history and achievements. Every recruiter says a little something about him/herself, but this was the first recruiter I've encountered who began an interview by droning on and on about his "achievements" at other companies. It was an unsettling way to start an interview to say the least. I ultimately didn't make it past the phone screen, which I attribute to my lack of preparation for the interview. Still, it was a bizarre experience.

Interview Questions

• What are your salary expectations based on your experience?   1 Answer

4 May 2018 – Talent Acquisition Communications Coordinator

Thanks for your feedback! It’s true our recruiters take time to share their professional backstory with candidates by way of introduction in a phone interview. Typically, we get great feedback on... More

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Paylocity in May 2018.

Interview

I applied via LinkedIn. The recruiter reached out to me within a few hours of viewing my profile. He called me to set up a time to chat the following week. During the next call, he talked to me a little about himself, and then he asked me to explain my current role. Once I did that, he abruptly ended the conversation (in the name of transparency) saying that the hiring manager is looking for someone with outside sales experience. Mind you, this information was not listed in the job description nor does my resume indicate that I have outside sales experience. My resume was clearly not vetted properly, and resulted in a large waste of my time. 10/10 would not recommend.

Interview Questions

Paylocity Response

21 May 2018 – Talent Acquisition Communications Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback! Paylocity believes screening the best fit for a role often goes beyond solely vetting a candidate’s resume. There are many crucial qualities that could contribute to a... More

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cherry Hill, NJ (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Paylocity (Cherry Hill, NJ (US)).

Interview

Had several phone interviews, first with recruiter, then with two seperate hiring managers. The recruiter was professional and great to work with. One of the hiring managers was rude and dismissive. After two months of back and forth and trying to book a final interview, I receive a phone call from the recruiter that the hiring manager wants someone with more industry experience. The hiring manager did not appreciate my inability to drop everything in my current job to meet him so this was the consequence I paid. The hiring manager seemed difficult to work with and for from the start, definitely took this as a blessing in disguise.

Interview Questions

• What motivates you?   Answer Question
    • What was something groundbreaking and/or innovative that you came up with to achieve success in your current role?   Answer Question

9 Apr 2018 – Talent Acquisition Communications Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. We sincerely apologize that your experience with one of our hiring managers left you feeling frustrated. Paylocity prides itself on being a Best Place to Interview and... More

Interview

HR reached out to me very shortly after I applied and set up a call. The interview was scheduled for the following week at their office with the VP of Corporate Development.

Interview Questions

Paylocity Response

23 Apr 2018 – Talent Acquisition Communications Coordinator

Thank you for your review of your interview experience. We are happy to read of your positive experience and congratulations on your accepted offer!

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington Heights, IL (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Paylocity (Arlington Heights, IL (US)).

Interview

Contacted by the recruiter and had an amazing phone screen. Excited about the opportunity and was invited to a face to face interview. Met with fellow colleagues and the CHRO. First interviews were very good however CHRO was very interesting. He made me realize that I did not to work for paylocity.

Interview Questions

Paylocity Response

23 Apr 2018 – Talent Acquisition Communications Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to read that you had a negative experience during your interview process. It is the highest priority for us that every employee a candidate encounters... More

Audit Director Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Paylocity.

Interview

Basic - contacted through LI, short interview with recruiter. Didn't follow up like he said so I had to contact him again and then after he responded still didn't close the loop.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your work experience.   1 Answer

23 Apr 2018 – Talent Acquisition Communications Coordinator

Thank you for your review of your interview experience. We are sorry to read that you had a frustrating experience with a recruiter and were left with questions regarding your application. Paylocity... More

Client Account Manager/Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Mary, FL (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paylocity (Lake Mary, FL (US)) in March 2018.

Interview

Thanks to Villarreal v. RJ Reynolds in the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals, a current EEOC ADEA interpretation gives companies like Paylocity huge leeway to discriminate against applicants over 40 in FL, GA, and AL, at least according to Federal labor law. State laws still apply, though.

I submitted an online application to Paylocity with my resume and a cover letter. Various ATS scans had scored my resume at least 85% for this job based on the job description. A couple of business days later, I received an email from a hiring manager asking to schedule an interview. I enthusiastically chose the first time slot she had available, which was late afternoon the next day.

A few minutes into the conversation, I got the distinct impression that she had already made up her mind before even making the phone call, and that she was just going through the motions. I was never asked to do the online assessment, nor invited for an in-person interview.

Exactly 48 hours and 2 minutes after the conclusion of the phone call, I received a generic automatic mail-merge email stating, "...we have chosen to pursue another candidate for this position who we feel is best qualified." Yet the open job posting remains up and active on all job sites including Glassdoor.

I know 3 people who work at this branch of Paylocity who were hired with far fewer qualifications (one had an ATS score of just 25%) and much less experience than I have. However, they were all in their early- to mid-20's when hired. They are all great people and were enthusiastically cheering for me to get this job. So the issue is NOT a matter of whether I get along with people or can be a team player. I do, and am.

But... I'm well over 50. I have several years of experience handling employees' payroll (never once did the hiring manager even acknowledge or ask me about this); and nearly 30 years experience providing consistently exceptional support and service, including 12 years in 911 dispatch with multiple high commendations and public awards; and another 17+ years in the computer industry, including providing friendly, expert tech support by phone, email, and online chat. Paylocity claims to want people who can handle stress and respond to "up to 50" calls and emails per day. (Stress? Let any 911 dispatcher tell you about stress.) I have frequently responded to up to 200 client emails, phone calls, and online support chats per day, for troubleshooting, problem-solving, guidance, follow-up -- in short, everything Paylocity claims to want, and more. My client satisfaction rate was 100% (do you have any idea how rare that is?!) while I was self-employed with thousands of clients. I'm an information sponge, always eager to learn new things and "go the extra mile." I am willing to work 16 hours a day, 7 days a week if asked. Any past or present employer or client reference, if Paylocity had bothered to ask (they didn't), would have given me a glowing recommendation.

I'm fairly certain that my age, experience, and previous self employment worked against me. Age seems to be the biggest factor. From what I've seen written by other applicants whose history and lengthy experience indicate they're likely older, age discrimination against applicants appears to be a widespread pattern if not an actual policy at Paylocity.

Never mind that I think "young" and could have happily crawled on broken glass for the opportunity to learn everything they threw at me, and would have cheerfully worked as an underling to any twenty-something just for the chance to be part of the team and contribute for the next 20+ years to what I thought was a company who valued hard workers and team players. I was wrong. I, too, learned what a number of other experienced, highly qualified but older applicants have already learned and described here on Glassdoor and other websites about Paylocity.

The experience and qualifications supposedly sought by Paylocity apparently have no real relevance in their youth-centric, hard-partying culture. But hey, if you're very young and inexperienced, go for it. You're probably sure to beat out older and more stable candidates who are far more qualified. Oh, and if you can act perkily enthusiastic (e.g. "brainless twit" mode) to the point of sounding positively manic, even better. It will be impossible for you to miss the importance of this during your first phone call. This is a workplace that apparently places very high value on frequent use of loud, high-pitched, breathlessly-squealed exclamatory superlatives like "awesome!!!" and "amazing!!!"

How can Paylocity claim to provide a quality product and superior service to their clients, yet hire less qualified, inexperienced "talent"? The answer should be obvious.

21 May 2018 – Talent Acquisition Communications Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback! Paylocity is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and our screening and hiring processes are in rigorous alignment with compliance standards. This includes our... More

Corporate Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington Heights, IL (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Paylocity (Arlington Heights, IL (US)) in March 2018.

Interview

It was a very laid-back and friendly environment. They had a person to greet me while I waited for the interview to start, which definitely helped ease the pre-interview nerves. Interviewed with the VP of Corporate Development Holly Fulp who is an incredibly smart and kind person. Definitely a great opportunity for anyone trying to get started within the industry.

Interview Questions

• How did you pick your majors and how does that apply to your future goals?   Answer Question

23 Apr 2018 – Talent Acquisition Communications Coordinator

Hello and thank you for your feedback on your interview experience and acknowledgement of our VP of Corporate Development! We are happy to read of your positive experience. Thanks for your review and... More

Corporate Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington Heights, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Paylocity (Arlington Heights, IL (US)) in March 2018.

Interview

The interview process consisted of 1 over the phone interview, and an in person interview with two individuals. Very laid back interview that consisted of questions about behavioral aspects and personality.

Interview Questions

• Describe some of the projects you have been working on.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Paylocity in March 2018.

Interview

Friendly recruiter. Phone interview was long but super easy and informal. In person was 2 on 1. Lots of questions but nothing too hard. Both phone and in person lasted about an hour.

Interview Questions

Paylocity Response

18 May 2018 – Talent Acquisition Communications Coordinator

Thanks so much for your review of your interview experience with Paylocity! Best wishes!

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.