Paylocity Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Paylocity Interview Questions

Updated 16 Oct 2018

2.9

Audit Director Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Paylocity.

Interview

Basic - contacted through LI, short interview with recruiter. Didn't follow up like he said so I had to contact him again and then after he responded still didn't close the loop.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your work experience.   1 Answer

Paylocity Response

23 Apr 2018 – Talent Acquisition Communications Coordinator

Thank you for your review of your interview experience. We are sorry to read that you had a frustrating experience with a recruiter and were left with questions regarding your application. Paylocity... More

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington Heights, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paylocity (Arlington Heights, IL (US)) in January 2013.

Interview

Applied online through their website, which wasn't the best process (had to copy and paste the resume into a text box). Was contacted by HR for a day latter for a phone screening. Mostly job related questions (why are you looking, how did you find us, etc). Some basic technology questions as well.

After that there was a tech phone screening and virtual coding exercise by a couple of engineers (one senior). The questions ran the gamut from general C#/.Net to Javascript and HTML. Did a virtual whiteboard coding exercise where they had me code a simple function where they asked questions and I iterated through the design and implementation.

After that they had me come onsite and I talked with a number of managers, VP's, senior engineers and meet with the CEO. This was a great experience, talking with a lot of different people throughout the company, picking their brains and having chats with them helped me gauge the company, culture and the people. They took me to lunch and we had a relaxed casual conversation there as well.

I received an offer a few days latter that I accepted after trying to get more time off and pay, both of which weren't successful. Besides that it was a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Deep Javascript questions, like prototype usage, function design, implementation and pros and cons.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not a lot of negotiation, fairly straightforward and they were firm on most conditions.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paylocity (Chicago, IL (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

Paylocity's representation was stellar. They proactively answered all of my questions and communicated openly during the process. I felt that the bar to entry was high (a good thing) and the interviewers were competent. Paylocity is actively investing in ways to improve their processes and culture. You get a sense that feedback from employees is valued and important to management. I was assigned an interview project which generated some excellent discussion during the interview.

Interview Questions

• Questions included my goals, accomplishments, style of learning and self improvement as well as relevant technical questions to assess skills.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paylocity.

Interview

Very Organized Process.
    1) I worked with a recruiter to get introduced to the company. There was a slight technical screening with the recruiter.
    2) From there I had a video interview & whiteboard session where I had to speak with 2 developers and do a coding exercise along with answering high level technical questions.
    3) I then had to speak with the director of the department.
    4) After her approval I came in for a face to face interview with a set of people from a specific team. This involved in depth technical questions and would have included white boarding if the office had been available that had the white board.
    5) They collectively reviewed my interview & background and determined that my skill set was ideal for another team. There was one final phone interview with the members of that team to make sure I was a good fit for the team.
    6) Then I received an offer.

They really strive for the best people so the process goes deep. The end result is worth it because they take care in fitting you to the right team, project, and technologies.

Interview Questions

• I had explained some work I had done on a project. I had explained the process that I took to coming up with the best design to fit our needs. At the end they asked me what I would have done differently if I could do it again.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I gave clear expectations to my recruiter and it was her responsibility to make the offer a reality. I liked their initial offer as it met all of my expectations so I did not want to start off my relationship at the company with a greedy negotiation.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Paylocity in August 2015.

Interview

The first step was an initial screen with Paylocity's Senior Recruiter, of whom I couldn't even begin to do justice describing not only his professionalism, but how enjoyable it was working with him. I can pretty much guarantee that Sam Rizvi is about the finest recruiter you'll ever have the pleasure to work with, and he demonstrates the culture and values that you'll see all over the Glass Door reviews for Paylocity. Some of the things I especially appreciated about Sam's style is that he has a genuine dialog with you - no canned questions. You won't feel that you're a commodity - he is truly interested in your feedback throughout the process, takes the time to help you prepare well to succeed with each step, and is extraordinarily generous giving you his time.

The next step is a code challenge, which you do on your own - Paylocity no longer uses real time white boards for the interview process, thank goodness. Instead, you'll be on camera ( recorded ) during the 90 minutes - not exactly a walk in the park trying to look in the camera, answer questions, and go through you code, but the team is extremely gracious - there was plenty of laughing and joking, so relax as best you can. I would encourage all serious candidates to treat this challenge with all the professionalism you have and to bring to bear your experience of what a live app needs to do. Keep in mind that this is a company very serious about hiring the best of the best - adequate is not good enough. Because of the backlog of applicants, it was about 10 days between when I was given the challenge and when it was due. You will meet with a team of engineers who will then perform a code review on your submitted project. They won't just review the code, but dig into your thinking about why you chose the strategies you did. After that's complete, they'll ask you miscellaneous technical questions as well. Finally, you'll have about 15 minutes to ask your own questions.

Almost immediately after the code review / team interview, the Senior Recruiter called me with the feedback he'd received from the team. This company is not mired in bureaucracy - it moves fast!

If you've survived the team review, you'll get to speak with the Director of Software Development. Again, Paylocity's culture of respect and teamwork really shines through here. This time is for you to ask your questions - you'll be on the receiving end for a few as well, but the Director makes herself available to you, and it was really an enjoyable chat for me.

Paylocity's interview process is the best I've ever seen, bar none. The code challenge is a very real world exercise, you work in your familiar coding environment, and you get to show off what floats your boat. But the best part is the people you'll meet along the way. First class people that I can't wait to work with.

Interview Questions

• You'll be explaining the decisions you made in completing the code challenge.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paylocity (Houston, TX (US)) in August 2015.

Interview

The technical interview felt natural. It took place over a webcam. I interviewed with a team of three persons who wanted to get to know me and how I worked. I got to present a solution I wrote and share some cool JavaScript techniques with the team. At the end, there was an open panel with technical questions. The questions covered a broad range of technologies. The facilitator made the entire process seamless without making me feel uncomfortable. The best way to ace this interview is to come prepared to present the best solution you can come up with. The team wants to hear from you to see your enthusiasm and how you approach solutions.

Interview Questions

• What is your proudest moment in your career?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The recruiter was awesome is getting me what I wanted. Great experience.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paylocity in February 2016.

Interview

The interview process at Paylocity was fantastic. I initially started the process by talking to an internal recruiter. His enthusiasm for the company was very reassuring and got me excited about the process. Communication with him was also great.

Once the initial screen was done, I was given a coding exercise to complete, a questionnaire to fill out to rate my technical skills, and then had a video meeting with four developers where we went through my coding challenge and then did a technical discussion. The questions were quite thorough and sometimes difficult.

The final step was a phone conversation with the head of development. Shortly after that discussion I received an offer and introductions to my new team.

I was incredibly impressed with the interview process. The employees I spoke to were passionate about their jobs and gave me really good insight on how the company culture works. During the time between my interviews and start date Paylocity went above and beyond to make me feel welcome as a new employee.

Interview Questions

• Wide range of questions from HTML/CSS, Javascript, SQL, and overall design.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington Heights, IL (US)

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Paylocity (Arlington Heights, IL (US)) in September 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a Director who found my information on LinkedIn. He asked if he could speak with me about a specific software I had experience with and it quickly turned into an interview. He initially asked to just speak with me about my experience.

Interview Questions

• There were some specific questions about a third party software they were using which I had experience in.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I had great conversations with Sam, who is in talent acquisition at the company. He is very polite and helpful. I had read of his name in other reviews here, but he was even beyond my expectations.

Furthermore, I had read of the interview process with the engineers, and it was also beyond my expectations. The engineers who did my interview were very polite and considerate.

Paylocity's ranking proved accurate for me with the respectful personalities of its employees during the whole interview process.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Paylocity in October 2017.

Interview

An initial call with their recruiter, Sam, was setup to discuss the company and to go over some basic software engineering questions. Sam was very friendly and easy to talk with and understand. He made the entire interview process, from start to finish, feel like a dream.

After the call we agreed to progress to the next step of the interview process, which was a simple code challenge. This was a real treat, as it was not only fun to do, but it was an opportunity to learn, and to even challenge myself on the design choices I would make.

After the project was submitted, I had a video meeting to go over it. I met with Dan and Craig, who were both phenomenal. I've never been interviewed by such friendly professionals before. It felt more like a code review, than anything. We went over specific sections of the stack, both front and back end, then I was asked some specific questions about both ends of the stack.

I felt the entire interview process was perfect. Its a five star process that is ran by five star people, it just doesn't get any better than this.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.