Scribendi Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Scribendi Interview Questions

Interviews at Scribendi

3.4

Operations Manager Interview

Interview

Complete waste of time. The CEO does not know what he’s doing minus his interest in a buzzword - AI.

Overall the startup has some in house editors but external editors are hard to sign up on the platform.

Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Scribendi.

Interview

Painful, rigorous process. I went against the reviews on here, trying to give the company the benefit of the doubt, but they were all completely true. I spent well over 6 hours on the "3-hour" mock test portion and made exactly 322 edits on three short excerpts, only to be told that I had not made enough edits. I have a degree in communication and professional writing, and I also work as a writing tutor for two other companies, so I know this is inaccurate.

Honestly, I am not sure that this company actually wants to hire people and truly believe this process is to just waste everyone's time. Avoid at all costs.

Remote Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Scribendi.

Interview

I took an online test, passed it, and was sent a three-hour test. The writing was completely terrible. I finished my test within the time period and emailed my test back. The directions had me send a clean, corrected copy. Unfortunately, when you're told to use Track Changes and have made comments and suggestions to the author, the grader of your test doesn't see those.

Interview Questions

• How long have you been editing?   1 Answer

Proofreader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bradenton, FL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Scribendi (Bradenton, FL (US)) in November 2017.

Interview

15- minute timed assessment for grammar and spelling. Once passed, you have 24 hours to submit 4 corrected mock assignments. These assignments take 3 hours to complete. I received an email about an hour later saying I had too many errors, but they could not tell me what the errors were. Need to have a baseline knowledge of APA/MLA formatting, and resume templates.

Freelance Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Scribendi in August 2017.

Interview

Brief online test followed by emailed test that must be completed within 24 hours. The email contained four types of documents which were to be copied into a Word document and edited using Track Changes, then returned as both revised and clean versions. The documents included an ESL scientific document, a resume, an academic essay and a manuscript excerpt.

Remote Editor - Proofreader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Scribendi (Washington, DC (US)) in April 2017.

Interview

I saw an ad for a remote proofreader - editor at flexjobs. I applied on their website and had to pass a short grammar test within a limited time. Some of the questions were easy, and a couple were difficult (or not very relevant), but I passed, and I was invited (via automated email) to do a mock editing assignment. I accepted it, and I got four pieces to be edited (an academic essay, scientific document, fiction, and ESL cover letter). It was supposed to take three hours, but it took me more like 6-7 because the level of writing was terribly low. These are example sentences:
    "Hibernate group hibernated forcibly (7% for two month) with cold brain and control were prevented from hibernated."
    "Within, 10 trials to keep, and the results were at the same high level of correct decisions as in the pre-test, which we did before and et. Al. did in one pervious research."
    "Because you matter you need the best company for your painting and that is me ---- just call me your Painter. Consider me please I need work."
    "Therefore, t is than that Grendel’ discovers that Beowulf’s grip is stronger..."

As you can see, the level of English is terrible. I am not a native speaker, but I do have a doctorate degree and I can tell you, I have never seen papers written this badly. You can't even figure out sometimes what the author is talking about (or describing). How can you edit that without communicating with the author?
    As a PhD graduate, I suggest that if you love editing, tutoring or helping others, stay away from Scribendi. They are doing a disservice to a profession which was built on certain ethics. What they offer is trying to repackage garbage and sell it as something grand.

Interview Questions

• Edit a mock assignment based on four types of documents   1 Answer

Remote Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Scribendi (New York, NY (US)) in August 2016.

Interview

The basics: I applied via the website, took a short grammar test which had me correct some obvious, less obvious, and (frankly) some not very important grammar problems. I received an automated email with a copy of four very different types of writing that I had to edit and send back within a day. It was supposed to take three hours and it did. Seemed like a lot for unpaid time though. After ten days, I received another automated email (I've never heard from anyone in this company personally which is never a good sign) saying there were too many errors in my mock editing assignment.

The details and my opinion: If you have even the smallest desire to collaborate on some level with the author of the piece of writing I doubt this is a good fit for you. I've worked as a tutor for writing for many, many years, and as an English professor for a while as well. I have a Bachelor's and Master's in English and received straight As throughout my English programs. Now, I've known a lot of pretentious people in this field, and I hope that it's clear that I'm not one of those in this review, but you can feel free to think what you want. I'm just trying to help others...and yes, perhaps get out some of my annoyance.

I recognize that tutoring and editing are very different, that providing feedback for a student and editing a lab report are very different things. One (tutoring/teaching) is obviously much more involved and collaborative than the other (editing). However, I've come to understand that writing (even grammar) is not black and white, correct or incorrect, but rather a much grayer area. From my limited experience, this organization does not think that way; instead, they see black and white, wrong and right, and delight (like many) in being right, correct, and telling others they are wrong. I had hoped for more understanding of the complex and always somewhat naturally collaborative relationship between writer and editor. This hope was encouraged by the invitation in the sample editing assignment to use the comment function to ask questions of the author. Perhaps this was some sort of trick though, and I would discourage applicants from doing this actually, as it seems unlikely these comments are read. My suspicion is that the paper is simply reviewed by a grammar-mistake-identifying software (which obviously can't think like a human and understand comments with questions).

I believe that the goal for remote editor is to create a human correcting machine, like a program that detects and fixes errors without concern for the author's intentions; I believe that the editing work I did on the sample pieces was not reviewed by a human - it was reviewed by a similar kind of software that detects errors.

If you like to think that writing, editing, and grammar, are fully black and white, correct and incorrect, and you get some level of joy out of telling people who, in other contexts, would be smarter than you, that they've used a comma incorrectly, then this is the job for you. Make sure you use that grammar correcting software that probably exists out there on the Internet (that my students use that makes their papers even more unintelligible) on your sample editing passages before you email them back to human resources for review.

Remote Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Scribendi in April 2016.

Interview

When I emailed about the editing test, I received an automated reply which provided no useful directions about how to edit the text. The attached test clearly had not been chosen to match the specialties I had indicated on my application. It consisted of four diverse excerpts (including fiction and scientific research excerpts) and had to be returned within 24 hours. The excerpts appeared to have been written by non-native speakers of English, and at least two of the four required developmental editing (which is of course impossible to do without working closely with the author).

I proceeded to copyedit the text and leave numerous comments (rather than taking it upon myself to re-write the pieces). The fiction excerpt was particularly awkward, but that could have been a legitimate matter of style, so I changed little of it. I suspect that this excerpt is the main reason I failed.

A couple of days later, I received an HR email indicating that the company would not continue with my application because of the number of remaining errors in my mock assignment.

In summary, the test was inappropriate at best, and, based on my admittedly brief experience, I’m inclined to believe the reviewer who indicated that this company expects their editors to re-write student’s papers rather than edit them. Assuming that the test’s level of writing was representative of the actual work, maintaining the required editing speed of 1000–1500 words per hour would be impossible.

This is not the first time I’ve dealt with companies that cater to ESL authors (I was hired by another), and, unless you are desperate for money, I strongly suggest that you stay away from such outfits. You will be underpaid. I’ve learned my lesson and will not be applying to another.

Remote Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Scribendi (Remote, OR (US)) in April 2014.

Interview

I applied online and within a week, my references told me they had received calls, although I had not been contacted at all. When I was finally contacted, I was given an editing test consisting of 5 varied documents and asked to return it within 24 hours. I was then sent hiring paperwork to sign (note: you must sign a 2-year non-compete clause, which is a pretty long time for a freelance editor and quite unfair). The final step was a video "greeting" interview.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with ESL? How fast can you work? Can you commit to 10,000 words per month?   Answer Question

Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Scribendi in November 2012.

Interview

I never actually completed a face-to-face interview. Instead, I submitted my resume and references. I then completed a series of tests. After I was accepted for employment, I completed on-line training (for which I was paid).

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.