Airbnb Reviews

4.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Airbnb CEO & Co-Founder Brian Chesky
Brian Chesky

Pros
  • Gaining work/life balance is encouraged (part of my personal OKRs set by my manager) (in 9 reviews)

• Autonomy, smart and nice colleagues, free food (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • I also think there's some managers within the company that still "look down upon" those who strive for work-life balance (in 33 reviews)

• Poor Work Life Balance, Growing Pains Associated With Rapid Expansion (in 12 reviews)

1. "The single best job I've had in my career - incredibly inspiring work, fabulous workplace."

Current Employee - Head of Communications in Sydney
    Current Employee - Head of Communications in Sydney

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+ Inspiring + Fast paced + Good pay + Great conditions + Travel (depending on type of role)

Cons

This is a toughie. I'd say, a potential negative for some is that it's pretty hard to get a gig here. Jobs don't come up all that often, so make sure your application is spot on.

2. "Seriously amazing"

Current Employee - Country Manager in Sydney
    Current Employee - Country Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Changing the way the world looks at and feels about travel and hospitality. Great culture Fast growing Global platform

Cons

Fast growing - which can have its pitfalls if you can't keep up. It also means that your job is changing as you grow and this might not suit everyone and some folks will find themselves in roles that they are not qualified for and may not feel successful as a result.

3. "Amazing culture and mission"

Pros

Airbnb is one of the friendliest and happy places I have worked at. Everyone truly makes you feel welcome whenever you get to see them. They've also brought on some world class talent in senior roles that means we are much more focused on where we are headed in the next few years. I really believe that we can do some great things. Its also nice to work at a place where those hosts and guests in our community really love the brand.

Cons

As with any company growing this size there are still plenty of systems that aren't just in place yet. The company is also getting much larger and so it's easier to walk around and see many faces you don't know. Feels less like a really close family each day. Sometimes you feel like work/life balance doesn't always work.

"fun, fast growth, smart people"

I worked at Airbnb full-time

Pros

- lots of opportunities for internal mobility. i know several engineers who have done rotations through both product and infrastructure teams. some stayed and some returned to their old teams. generally, the company wants you to go where you'll be the most useful—there isn't much politicking to keep people from moving around. - high technical bar -> smart colleagues. hiring is optimized for preventing false positives. - people are really nice and really collaborative. everyone will talk to you about what they're working on. people make real friendships at work and hang out often. - good parental leave policies, focus on diversity recruiting - insane revenue growth, even now, with no compelling end in sight

Cons

- growing pains as a result of rapid growth - functions can feel siloed from each other unless you explicitly try to break down barriers

6. "Review"

Current Employee - Trust and Safety in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Trust and Safety in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Multi-cultural with growth opportunities and freedom to think

Cons

Hectic and often stressful case load

"Customer Experience"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Office, workflow, co-workers, perks. Airbnb has a great work atmosphere. There is a lot of diversity and constant innovation. We receive good treatment and the philosophy of the company is part our daily work.

Cons

I don't see any cons. I feel happy every single day for being part of the company and our community.

"Ruled by humans, not by machines"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Constant changes, exciting environment and awesome individuals. The growth is being incredible and there are a lot of projects and ideas.

Cons

Constant changes as well. Channeling self-proposed projects into the right direction is sometimes challenging and might lead to nothing but it's worth the try.

Advice to Management

I would advise management to get closer to the reality of every single team and discover their challenges from within

9. "It's True, Best Place to Work"

Current Employee - Host Ambassador in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Host Ambassador in San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros

Extreme talent, diversity, laid back atmosphere, super innovative work space, really great food: everything is made on site, paleo, vegetarian, gluten free options. 99% of folks are approachable, kind, and unpretentious. Opportunities for advancement.

Cons

NONE. I'm very fortunate to be at AIRBNB

10. "Great place to work and amazing colleagues"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Pros

I have worked at Airbnb as a Customer experience specialist for about a year. Airbnb is a great company to work for, they have amazing offices and great perks: breakfast, lunch, snacks, health insurance, happy hours, travel coupons every quarters for employees, laptop provided, etc. They take good care of their employees and they have a great on-boarding training. Overall, I am very satisfied with the company and its culture and I would recommend working for them.

Cons

For this position, we usually worked in shift either from Sunday to Thursday or from Tuesday to Saturday. Customer specialists would work from 8 am to 5 pm / 9 am to 6 pm or 10 am to 7 pm, changing every week. The only drawback while I was there was a lack of organization and consistency between managers across teams but these issues were identified so I am confident that it is being taken care of.

Advice to Management

Try to be more organized and to trust more the employees as everyone can help to improve the work environment. Also, managers and leads should be better trained to make sure it reflects the company's culture.

"A Passionate, Committed & Inspiring Family!"

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Airbnb full-time

Pros

It is one of the few companies out there who truly cares about the development of not just itself as a company but its culture and most importantly, its people. The founders and executive staff understand this and always have the culture and its people at the forefront of their minds. The commitment our employees here have to their work is truly inspiring and the encouragement you get from all your peers also drives and motivates you.

Cons

It is a young company and it is learning as it grows. There will always be teething problems and discrepancies when operating globally but more could be done to strengthen and empower the regions. It is a fast moving company in which we are constantly running and often times, it means learning on the ground which is overwhelming. Personally, I enjoy the learning curve and the challenges but the biggest pillar in this evolving environment was knowing that I have a supportive team behind me, ready and willing to support me.

Advice to Management

Never forget your employees no matter where they are. You've been magnificent and keep doing what you're doing. Do bear in mind, nevertheless, how little changes can affect the operating systems and structures in all regions. They are great improvements but more needs to be done than purely executing it out without consulting the wider regions. But most of all, thank you for building Airbnb.

RSS Feed </> Embed