Austal Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Austal Reviews

Found 109 reviews

3.4
Andrew Bellamy
Pros
  • "Austal has great benefits and room to grow for a young person starting a new career(in 7 reviews)

• "Overall great company to work for(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management is very isolated from the work force(in 8 reviews)

• "Austal is fast growing company that has not handled navy contracts decades like other well established companies(in 4 reviews)

1. "Good"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia

I worked at Austal

Pros

There are many chances for you to move around the company if you felt like taking on a new challenge

Cons

It is a company that has quite a niche in the market, however the market does fall significantly, jobs can be quite volitile.

Advice to Management

I believe that the management in Austal do a sterling job considering the challenges that the face in the global market

Austal2011-07-29
  2. "Company with potential and space for improvements"

Former Employee - Naval Architect in Henderson

I worked at Austal full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

interesting project, challenging work, on site parking, 9/14 working arrangement

Cons

Unorganised. To be honest, they are many people in the company doing low quality work and other people have to cover their sxxt. Your hard work is not recognised. If management thinks you are already getting too much money than other people, then enjoy the cpi salary increase regardless of how good your achievement is. poooohhhh

Advice to Management

Get rid of the olds and inject young blood, seriously. You are in Perth, not in Sydney and Melbourne, pay good money to keep the good employees. Increase efficiency, you don't need 10 people working on the same thing.

Austal2019-04-18
  3. "Interesting place to work, but high pressure and "boys' club" culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia

I worked at Austal full-time

Pros

Very interesting, custom-designed ships to design or work on. Great opportunities to learn from a multi-disciplinary team and with the shipyard right next to the design office.

Cons

High pressure, uber-time-conscious environment - often the deadlines are unreasonable / counter-productive. A bit of a divisive boys club culture. Inadequate training and support for graduates.

Advice to Management

Address the above cons.

Austal2018-06-11
  4. "Beware! Unreasonable management practices and company stuck in the 80s!"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Henderson

I worked at Austal full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Great product, good teams lower in the hierarchy, good canteen! Can't be more positive. Salary was average for area. Nice location on the waters edge!

Cons

Awful senior management culture and ethics! Annual leave used as vehicle to force extra labour. Lack of resourcing means everyone is working overtime! Lack of technology means everyone is working manually! HR have no power to stop execs firing people without due cause! Morale so low in finance and IT! No delegation, no accountability! Abandon hope all Ye who enter!

Advice to Management

Austal has to totally transform if it's going to be a top 1% company! There is a toxic culture in certain departments which is being ignored, despite the obvious feedback in engagement surveys. Communication is dreadful, and empowerment and delegation is non existent. Austal has all the hallmarks of a company waiting to die rather than displace BAE and Talus!

Austal2017-03-20

"Unprofessional company"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Perth, Western Australia

I worked at Austal full-time

Pros

Gives exposure to view ship building facilities that helps to understand the company and its associated work

Cons

I am former employee. I was hired as permanent full time employee and left a very good permament job to join them. My employment was terminated immediately one fine morning and management didnt feel responsible to provide any notice or justification to me. I was even told that they didnt have any complaints at all but they want me to go 'just like that', without any specific reason! I requested for justification but...

Austal2015-09-15
  6. "mchinist"

I worked at Austal full-time

Pros

Great company to work for, good work environment.

Cons

long hours and hot in summer time in buildings.

Austal2019-05-11
    • "Great Company"

Current Employee - TA Fitter in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Austal full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Great when the work is constant Good Location and good pay Excellent Benefits Overall great company to work for

Cons

Don't miss work and don't be late Stay busy even if there is no extreme bird-dogging

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job to all upper management. Craig Perciavalle is a great example of a true leader and the continued success of the company is a result of it.

Austal2019-04-16
    • "Good company, great benefits"

Former Employee - Machinist in Mobile, AL

I worked at Austal full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Great benefits, fair pay, bonus available

Cons

Schedule was awful, drive was too far for me

Austal2019-04-01
    • "This is specifically for the US operation (Mobile, AL)"

Current Employee - Shipfitter/Fabricator A Class in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Austal full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Good 401K match, vacation time is decent after 3 years, bonuses are nice, Benefit package in general is pretty good.

Cons

Company is extremely inefficient and wasteful of time and resources. Going forward from ship to ship very little seems to be learned, very little improved upon.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the people who are collecting a paycheck for 2 hours of work per day and reduce the waste, start continually improving processes. This is a 4000 employee company which is accomplishing the work of a 2000 employee company.

Austal2019-04-10
    • "Great company, the way they choose the leadership is what makes it horrible. If you are a suck up you will go far."

Current Employee - Welder in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Austal full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Great benefits and time off

Cons

Leadership is horrible. Starting with the President of Austal he is more worried about bathrooms instead of getting more contracts. All most all foreman are just suck ups to the Supervisors. They dont know their job so how can they lead.

Advice to Management

Put people in leadership that actually know how to weld,fit,rigg, and especially Electrical. We are tired of seeing suck ups or realitives get those jobs. Look at electrical their Supervisor on JHSV is just a cable puller and thats all. He couldnt change a light bulb.

Austal2019-01-20