Austal Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

2.9
Andrew Bellamy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • large corporation so you are more or less a number to upper management (in 8 reviews)

• Excessive management, no respect for the customer or the taxpayer (in 3 reviews)

"Good"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia

Pros

There are many chances for you to move around the company if you felt like taking on a new challenge

Cons

It is a company that has quite a niche in the market, however the market does fall significantly, jobs can be quite volitile.

Advice to Management

I believe that the management in Austal do a sterling job considering the challenges that the face in the global market

2. "Beware! Unreasonable management practices and company stuck in the 80s!"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Henderson
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Henderson

I worked at Austal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product, good teams lower in the hierarchy, good canteen! Can't be more positive. Salary was average for area. Nice location on the waters edge!

Cons

Awful senior management culture and ethics! Annual leave used as vehicle to force extra labour. Lack of resourcing means everyone is working overtime! Lack of technology means everyone is working manually! HR have no power to stop execs firing people without due cause! Morale so low in finance and IT! No delegation, no accountability! Abandon hope all Ye who enter!

Advice to Management

Austal has to totally transform if it's going to be a top 1% company! There is a toxic culture in certain departments which is being ignored, despite the obvious feedback in engagement surveys. Communication is dreadful, and empowerment and delegation is non existent. Austal has all the hallmarks of a company waiting to die rather than displace BAE and Talus!

"Unprofessional company"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Perth, Western Australia
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Perth, Western Australia

I worked at Austal full-time

Pros

Gives exposure to view ship building facilities that helps to understand the company and its associated work

Cons

I am former employee. I was hired as permanent full time employee and left a very good permament job to join them.

My employment was terminated immediately one fine morning and management didnt feel responsible to provide any notice or justification to me. I was even told that they didnt have any complaints at all but they want me to go 'just like that', without any specific reason! I requested for justification but they didnt have any. I couldnt do anything as i was still on probabtion.
    Very unprofessional behaviour as no reason or notice was provided.

As known from my colleagues..this is common in austal perth. This has happened to many employees on past. Very unprofessional and untrustworthy company.

Company's work methods and policies are unclear too. Lack of proper documented HSE guidelines. No basic HR induction provided on joining too.
    In short..it works like a small proprietorship company. Someone who has worked with big global companies with clear cut policies, kpi's and standards or are expecting that kind of culture..you will be hugely disappointed.

4. "Hindsight"

Former Employee - Electrical Supervisor in Mobile, AL (US)
    Former Employee - Electrical Supervisor in Mobile, AL (US)

I worked at Austal full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Austal would be a good place to start building a job history. Use them to begin your career to better things and higher goals.

Cons

Do not expect to make a 20 or 30 year career here. This is not a place to put down roots. No one stays there that long.

Advice to Management

You had the chance to plan for the future but ignored it. You may have the contract but you failed to lay the proper foundation. Your financial reports show it.

5. "Great opportunity"

I worked at Austal full-time

Pros

Ability to learn new things each day. Work is rewarding knowing why you are there each day.

Cons

If you don't like to be in the elements, then the shipyard isn't for you.

6. "Nice Shipyard"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mobile, AL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mobile, AL (US)

I worked at Austal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The commute was nice..new office building was nice.

Cons

Hard to get promoted. Good old boy system.

Advice to Management

Promote within

7. "Great company"

I have been working at Austal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities. Very safe place. Great ships

Cons

Not a place for lazy people

8. "Disappointed"

I worked at Austal full-time

Pros

I can’t think of any.

Cons

They ask for such high qualifications but yet don’t let you exercise your skills.

9. "Test Specialist"

I have been working at Austal full-time

Pros

Good working environment and people.

Cons

Potential for lose of contracts and job.

"Great starting place"

Current Employee - Fitout Apprentice in Mobile, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Fitout Apprentice in Mobile, AL (US)

I have been working at Austal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are amazing, insurance is top notch, 24 hours a year of personal time to be used at your own discretion "free money". You can earn vacation time relatively quickly and easily by simply fulfilling your end of the employee agreement. Show up when your scheduled to and don't be late.

Cons

Austal is very very clean which is a great thing, but don't get confused it's still a ship yard. No matter how much or how quick you do something they "management" always want and expect more. It's a never ending cycle that leads many co-workers down a negative path. Very few complements and almost zero praise for a job well done. You get stuck in one particular craft if your good at it which doesn't allow you to expand your skill set.

Advice to Management

Supervisors, Please spend a little more time with your team leaders explaining exactly what you'd expect from your employees on a daily basis and please make sure that your supervisor "Formen" is aware of what you've assigned your crew to do so that there is no confusion or contradiction between your crew and your boss or your crews Formen. Take afew minutes out of your day to praise your stand out employees and let it be know to them and the entire crew that you've noticed just exactly how much or how little certain people have been doing. There is a total lack of accountability in the MMF at Austal which leads to a very poor moral for your hard dedicated workers but let's slackers slip threw the cracks doing the bare minimum.