Austal Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

2.8
Andrew Bellamy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • large corporation so you are more or less a number to upper management (in 8 reviews)

• Excessive management, no respect for the customer or the taxpayer (in 4 reviews)

"Good"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia

Pros

There are many chances for you to move around the company if you felt like taking on a new challenge

Cons

It is a company that has quite a niche in the market, however the market does fall significantly, jobs can be quite volitile.

Advice to Management

I believe that the management in Austal do a sterling job considering the challenges that the face in the global market

2. "Beware! Unreasonable management practices and company stuck in the 80s!"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Henderson
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Henderson

I worked at Austal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product, good teams lower in the hierarchy, good canteen! Can't be more positive. Salary was average for area. Nice location on the waters edge!

Cons

Awful senior management culture and ethics! Annual leave used as vehicle to force extra labour. Lack of resourcing means everyone is working overtime! Lack of technology means everyone is working manually! HR have no power to stop execs firing people without due cause! Morale so low in finance and IT! No delegation, no accountability! Abandon hope all Ye who enter!

Advice to Management

Austal has to totally transform if it's going to be a top 1% company! There is a toxic culture in certain departments which is being ignored, despite the obvious feedback in engagement surveys. Communication is dreadful, and empowerment and delegation is non existent. Austal has all the hallmarks of a company waiting to die rather than displace BAE and Talus!

"Unprofessional company"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Perth, Western Australia
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Perth, Western Australia

I worked at Austal full-time

Pros

Gives exposure to view ship building facilities that helps to understand the company and its associated work

Cons

I am former employee. I was hired as permanent full time employee and left a very good permament job to join them.

My employment was terminated immediately one fine morning and management didnt feel responsible to provide any notice or justification to me. I was even told that they didnt have any complaints at all but they want me to go 'just like that', without any specific reason! I requested for justification but they didnt have any. I couldnt do anything as i was still on probabtion.
    Very unprofessional behaviour as no reason or notice was provided.

As known from my colleagues..this is common in austal perth. This has happened to many employees on past. Very unprofessional and untrustworthy company.

Company's work methods and policies are unclear too. Lack of proper documented HSE guidelines. No basic HR induction provided on joining too.
    In short..it works like a small proprietorship company. Someone who has worked with big global companies with clear cut policies, kpi's and standards or are expecting that kind of culture..you will be hugely disappointed.

5. "Test Specialist"

I have been working at Austal full-time

Pros

Good working environment and people.

Cons

Potential for lose of contracts and job.

"Great starting place"

Current Employee - Fitout Apprentice in Mobile, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Fitout Apprentice in Mobile, AL (US)

I have been working at Austal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are amazing, insurance is top notch, 24 hours a year of personal time to be used at your own discretion "free money". You can earn vacation time relatively quickly and easily by simply fulfilling your end of the employee agreement. Show up when your scheduled to and don't be late.

Cons

Austal is very very clean which is a great thing, but don't get confused it's still a ship yard. No matter how much or how quick you do something they "management" always want and expect more. It's a never ending cycle that leads many co-workers down a negative path. Very few complements and almost zero praise for a job well done. You get stuck in one particular craft if your good at it which doesn't allow you to expand your skill set.

Advice to Management

Supervisors, Please spend a little more time with your team leaders explaining exactly what you'd expect from your employees on a daily basis and please make sure that your supervisor "Formen" is aware of what you've assigned your crew to do so that there is no confusion or contradiction between your crew and your boss or your crews Formen. Take afew minutes out of your day to praise your stand out employees and let it be know to them and the entire crew that you've noticed just exactly how much or how little certain people have been doing. There is a total lack of accountability in the MMF at Austal which leads to a very poor moral for your hard dedicated workers but let's slackers slip threw the cracks doing the bare minimum.

7. "Decent Company"

I have been working at Austal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Wage, Good Benefits, plenty of room for advancement

Cons

Upper management is very isolated from the work force
    Depending on which department you work in Foremen/Supervisors/Coordinators show no respect. Lots of cowboys and hotheads that think they know everything. Good ole boy system in full effect.

Advice to Management

Reach out to your work force. There are a lot of people that are under utilized because the uppers refuse to listen or take advice.

"Disappointment at every turn"

Current Employee - Engineer in Chula Vista, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Chula Vista, CA (US)

I have been working at Austal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work with innovative technologies for USN

Cons

Cut throat, nepotism, lack of support, failure to listen

Advice to Management

Start listening to your employee needs. Requesting a notebook or toner should not be a complex evolution. Too many tools and databases are individually owned, home grown, primitive software tools. There's lean and mean, then there's too cheap to compete.

9. "Program Control"

I worked at Austal full-time

Pros

The company and department had a stable work environment

Cons

The typical negatives that go along with big companies

10. "Snap shot"

I have been working at Austal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great product and market leader

Cons

Needs to be more agile and less reactive

Advice to Management

Modernize people management

11. "Mechanical engineer intern"

I worked at Austal full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere with great people. Offered a variety of projects to learn from with engineers and tradesmen that are willing to teach.

Cons

None that I can think of off the top of my head.