Avanade Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Avanade CEO Adam Warby
Adam Warby

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Those given too little have the opportunity to maintain work-life balance while those given heavy workloads rarely have free time outside the weekends" (in 137 reviews)

• "Excessive workload No work/life balance" (in 23 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Consultant in Brisbane
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Consultant in Brisbane

I have been working at Avanade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great community to work with. There is lots of training, most of whose costs are covered by the company. Also there are social activities where you can bring friends and family.
    In terms of career, each year you set up goals and if achieved, there is a chance to get promoted to the next level and/or salary increase.

Cons

Not only you need to achieve your goals, or be an excellent professional at the client or clients you have worked during a year, but you need to stand out by participating in other activities like internal/external workshops.

if you get recognition, assuming that your project is big or the client is big, you have better chance to get promoted and having said that will raise the bar for other employees on the same level as you.
    In my first year, I got really good feedback, happy clients, presented new technology and yet no salary increase nor promoted to next level.

Advice to Management

Like in any consulting firm, assign roles that are more suitable to the skills.

2. "Fantastic company to work for with an awesome culture"

I have been working at Avanade full-time

Pros

I've been with Avanade for 3.5 years now and I absolutely love it! It has a great culture that empathises the importance of diversity and inclusion which was important to me when applying for a role here plus plenty of perks and bonuses throughout the year.

Gender equality is taken very seriously has been advocated by the previous GM as well as everyone else who'd like to see a better future for their daughters.

I love all the Avalife family events that they hold each month as it can be very hard to mix with different people as we're all on different client sites so it's a good way to connect in a fun environment outside of the office.

I've been rewarded for my acheivements here and have been able to progress my career over the years with plans to keep on growing and moving up the ladder which is something I was lacking in previous roles.

I love the fact that I can change clients if I get sick of a role as opposed to working for the same company in an in-house role which is what appealed to me the most about working in consulting.

Cons

Avanade has a work/life balance and flexible work arrangements however it isn't advocated with clients and should be included in the contracts. They need to try to bring their culture to those on client sites to ensure they don't miss out.

Advice to Management

Hope to see the push for diversity and inclusion as well as gender equality continue under the new leadership.

3. "Not a bad place to work"

I have been working at Avanade full-time

Pros

Career opportunities, people, training, client opportunities

Cons

Work life balance, length of work hours, no TOIL, managers

"Great place to start your IT career"

I have been working at Avanade full-time

Pros

Great culture and learning opportunities if you're passionate about IT and Microsoft technologies. salary is not bad and work/life balance is good if you know how to manage it.

Cons

competitive and sometimes difficult to get onto project which suit your interests. Would prefer a more rotational approach to work where possible.

Advice to Management

The IT industry is too competitive to ignore unhappiness among good talent.

5. "Director"

Pros

Local innovation
    Relationship with Microsoft
    Work life balance is a focus, work environment is positive
    Good benefits including gadget allowance

Cons

Even though there are good training opportunities it’s hard to keep up with so much change.
    Focus more on global offerings in newer spaces

Advice to Management

Global could think about being more nimble and like a start-up, and taking layers out.

6. "Terrible workplace for females avoid this company like the plague. Don't say i didn't tell you so."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I worked at Avanade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay adjustments and bonuses but still very much under market.
    Seems to hire bottom of the bell curve employees but someone has to hire them smart people often leave for a larger pay.

Cons

HR is a JOKE. Has told many females leaving that they are liars upon complaints and exit interview findings. With senior staff not even getting a slap on the wrist which is funny cause no one else but Avanade would retain people like that. They wouldn't get hired anywhere else.
    Toxic bullying gossipy work culture.
    Can't sell projects to save their lives somehow becomes your problem to beg, grovel and b for a role. I've had a few roles since leaving this company and the quality of my life has improved 10 fold. So thanks but no thanks.
    Also oh the misogyny! Recently heard through the grape vine that the female GM whom i personally very much liked was asked to leave because people didn't "like her" very much so it's back to the 1950s for women at this company.
    I like to judge my future employers by the number of ex employees banging on the door to come back in. No one wants to come back to work here ... terrible junior staff retention they put together a panel and everything to "investigate" but all they did was get defensive and after HR is done with them at their exit interview people make excuses to leave this place no one tells you the real reason they're leaving. I sure didn't.

Advice to Management

Fire the HR team and replace them every few years when speaking to other ex staff have found some very serious, unprofessional, misconduct both male and female. Hold Accenture managers accountable for their interactions with female Avanade staff instead of doing damage control via HR who is regurgitating an IBM handbook from 1980s. Senior staff should not be partaking in gossip or bullying they should be watching their comments. Ex employees on the outside hear EVERYTHING from the inside and we go off and work for clients often ...

Avanade Response

6 Jun 2018 – COO, Growth Markets

Thanks for taking the time to leave your review. At Avanade we pride ourselves on our diversity and establishing a workplace culture of inclusion. We were recently recognised as an Employer of Choice... More

7. "Excellent consulantancy opportunities"

I have been working at Avanade full-time

Pros

Loads of benefits being connected to Microsoft and Accenture.
    Local travel opportunities.
    Opportunities to develop technically, or learn new skills.

Cons

Still feels like Accentures little brother.
    All the interesting stuff? You're doing that in your own time.
    Most of the client work is not cutting edge tech.

8. "Fantastic people."

I have been working at Avanade full-time

Pros

Never dull, always a new challenge, fantastic people.

Cons

Nature of business is some evening calls with global in my role.

9. "Great Company Culture"

Current Employee - User Experience Consultant
    Current Employee - User Experience Consultant

I have been working at Avanade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility in working hours and location (depending on the project thought), being recognised and valued.

Cons

Forcing to stay on a project for too long

"Terrible Leadership"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Pyrmont
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Pyrmont

I worked at Avanade full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great global company
    Good diversity

Cons

Regional (AUS) leadership isn't great - lots of changes in senior leadership.
    Culture isn't what is was and staff morale has deteriorated.

Avanade Response

6 Sep 2017 – COO, Growth Markets

Change is constant Avanade, and with 30,000+ professionals, we work hard to maintain our company culture globally. I'm interested in learning more your feedback related to our culture; if you're... More