Bede Gaming Reviews

Updated 14 Jan 2021

4.5
Bede Gaming Managing Director Alex Butcher (no image)
Alex Butcher
  1. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Operations in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at Bede Gaming full-time

Pros

friendly, social, supportive, generous, flexible

Cons

I can't name any cons

2. COVID-19

"Great new start to an amazing company!"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Bede Gaming full-time

Pros

Warmth of welcome, great feel to the company and a modern, trusting culture.

Cons

None .... apart from not meeting in person yet, due to Covid-19, but the team has already suggested social distanced drinks to welcome me!

September 4, 2020HR Manager

Thanks for your review - it's great to hear you've had such a positive start to your Bede career, long may it continue!

"Plenty of opportunities to grow"

Current Employee - Applications Support Engineer in Newcastle, England

I have been working at Bede Gaming full-time

Pros

Regular support and opportunity to learn multiple technologies and range of systems. Trust in your abilities to resolve the problem, whilst full support when you stuck or need answers. Annual salary reviews Great incentives and perks like nights out, free phone, private medical care , Amazon vouchers and many many more

Cons

No senior roles so the progression is only to another role,

August 26, 2020HR Manager

Thanks for the review, we’re really pleased to hear that you feel well supported in your role and you enjoy the many perks we offer.

4. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at Bede Gaming full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with, everyone is supportive and willing to help. Good collaboration between different teams. Good benefits (flexible working, health care, free food, events). Senior Management are approachable and willing to listen.

Cons

Although I really enjoyed working there and will miss it, I couldn't see a clear route for progressing within the company and only really left because a new opportunity came along.

September 4, 2020HR Manager

Thanks for the review. We're always sad to see people leave but we wish you the very best of luck in your new role - we hope it lives up to everything you experienced at Bede :)

5. "Great supportive place to work"

Current Employee - Engineering in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Bede Gaming full-time for more than a year

Pros

A company who cares, management and HR truly care about well-being. Supportive and open to new ideas always striving to be better. HR's doors always open and I've had a lot of support from them. Flat structure and an attitude that mirrors that no one has a high and mighty attitude which is great.

Cons

While I’ve progressed fantastically since I’ve started here the flat structure means I’m a bit confused about progression (I might have to shift teams to do that – great for some but not what I want to do). Hard to get resources outside of your own team and the fast growth of some teams has meant knowledge sharing hasn’t gone well. Can’t comment on other roles but for my role it’s particularly low paid compared to the region.

August 31, 2020HR Manager

Thanks for the review. It’s great to hear that you’ve progressed so quickly and that you’ve made good use of the HR support we offer. We accept that we’re not perfect, and are always working on ways we can create avenues for progression - we’ve made a lot of internal promotions this year so we’re definitely moving in the right direction.

"Bullying disguised as banter"

1.0
    Current Employee - IT Professional

I have been working at Bede Gaming full-time

Pros

+ Informal culture + Beer fridge + Great place for good work/life balance (as long as you have an understanding manager)

Cons

+ No accountability + HR provides lip service but no semblance of real change + Management has received no training on how to deal with people

August 25, 2020

Dear Beder, I'm really sad to read this review from a current member of staff. As a leadership team we've strived to create a positive and informal culture. Central to this is creating a safe environment to enable staff to thrive. Whilst our culture is something that we’re proud of in general, we haven’t got it right this time. Bede takes any accusation of bullying extremely seriously. It's unfortunate that the existing support channels have not worked. As a result of this complaint, I will personally oversee an enquiry to better understand the problem, and ensure the implementation of recommended actions. Sincerely, Alex Butcher MD, Bede Gaming

"Not perfect, nowhere is, but heart's very much in the right place"

Current Employee - Head of Data in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Bede Gaming full-time

Pros

- Employee-centric, management genuinely concerned with staff well-being - "Flat structure" so if you are a dynamic person you can go above and beyond and progress - Welcoming and friendly across the board - Genuinely open to innovation and new ideas, there's always something new happening.

Cons

- "Flat structure" while it's good for dynamic individuals can mean it's difficult to see a clear path for progression, double-edged sword, can get stuck in a role / pigeon-holed. - Some siloing between departments and red-tape can be frustrating when you need support from someone outside of your own department

August 20, 2020HR Manager

Thanks for your review. We are committed to the well-being of our staff so it's great that you acknowledge that as one of our core strengths. Having a reasonably flat structure does act as a double edged sword sometimes, but we are working on creating better progression and promotion routes as we grow and new areas open up within the organisation. We'd always prefer to promote from within than hire externally where we can.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - NONE in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Bede Gaming full-time

Pros

Culture and people are great, and generally outweigh any cons.

Cons

The tech is a bit long in the tooth these days, and Bede doesn't move very fast or innovate rapidly, due entirely to stack choices.

August 20, 2020HR Manager

Thanks for your thoughts. It's great to hear that you enjoy the culture and we wholeheartedly agree that our people are our number one asset. As we've grown as a company we can't be as innovative as we were back in the start up days, but we do try our best to offer our tech people the opportunity to work on different technologies through our innovation time (free half day every sprint to work on whatever you like) - if you're unsure how to take advantage of this just let us know!

"Collaborative and Supportive"

Current Employee - Worker

I have been working at Bede Gaming full-time

Pros

They truly care about their employees

Cons

Workload could be excessively heavy

August 20, 2020HR Manager

Thanks for your review - we're delighted to hear that our caring nature towards our employees is recognised as we put a lot of effort into this. We definitely acknowledge that workloads are high at the moment as we are delivering key projects, but are working behind the scenes to ease this going forward.

10. "Engineering"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sofia

I have been working at Bede Gaming full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very good environment and high level of developers

Cons

Salary rise is once per year

November 15, 2019HR Manager

Thanks for your review, we're glad to hear you enjoy the environment we've created and that our people meet your high standards! Sorry that the annual rise isn't to your liking, it's just the way we do things around here :)

Viewing 1 - 10 of 42 English Reviews