Index Exchange Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 11 Aug 2019

4.1
Index Exchange CEO Andrew Casale
Andrew Casale
Pros
  • "Fair compensation, great work-life balance(in 16 reviews)

• "Benefits - Free lunch on Friday, stocked kitchen with drinks, great medical insurance programs, gym reimbursements, commuter benefits program, etc(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "A few growing pains but all being addressed by management(in 14 reviews)

• "IX is a toxic work environment, don't work here if you care about,your career or your mental health(in 7 reviews)

1. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Sydney

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time for less than a year

Pros

highly values employees , offers travel opportunities, offers education/training /support, collaborative with global colleagues, forward thinking. Very humbled to be part of such an amazing company which focuses on culture and their people

Cons

long interview process but understandable if you want the right culture fit

Index Exchange2018-12-13
  2. "Great company! Looks after their employees."

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

Full Health care, great travel opportunities, bottom-up approach. You don't just feel like a number, and career progression opportunities are clear. Great company culture.

Cons

Long interview process, but understandable. Markets outside NA can be neglected.

Index Exchange2019-05-15
  3. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time

Pros

Fair compensation, great work-life balance + perks, friendly + engaged staff, dynamic environment

Cons

Technical debt presents headwinds to onboarding of new engineers

Index Exchange2019-08-03
  4. "Good place to work, nice benefit"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Montreal, QC

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good place to work, nice benefit

Cons

legacy system is hard to work on and working content is shifting pretty often. If you like switch between different tasks. This is an ideal place

Index Exchange2019-08-12
  5. "Great environment Very nice company"

Current Employee - Facilities Assistant in Toronto, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free lunch,drinks and snacks One by one meetings Great management organization Flexible schedule Free parking

Cons

I didn’t see any until now.

Index Exchange2019-07-16

"Great company that takes care of it's employees"

Former Employee - Engineering in Toronto, ON

I worked at Index Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is the first time I've given a 5 star rating ... for anything. That's not to say the company is perfect, but the cons are small enough that I don't feel it's fair to take a full star for them. With that... - Work / life balance is insane. Attention is paid to not over-committing, timelines are generous, arranging time away from the office (WFH, sick/personal days, vacation, etc) is trivial, and the hours are... extremely flexible. - Career growth (in engineering) - managers pay attention to every single engineer, discuss goals and work on getting them accomplished. That's not to say that promotions are handed out easily, but there is a clear path to a promotion, and enough guidance to get there. If you want a promotion, and are willing to do the work, one will come for sure. Additionally, there's enough budget for training, conferences, books, etc, and whoever *wants* it, gets it. Finally, there's enough smart people in key positions that everyone can learn from. - Tech - sure, there's legacy stuff that isn't all that exciting (much like anywhere else), but the company is going all out on modernizing it's tech stack, so engineers get to work with some of the latest stuff out there (Kubernetes, Golang, CI/CD pipelines, latest versions of Angular, etc). - Company culture - people are very friendly and teams do work as teams rather than groups of people. The formula for "team building" seems to be working here. - Office - very modern, open, some pretty cool gadgets, electronic white boards, massive conferencing screens, etc. - Job security and compensation - managers will work with engineers to course correct if needed, and they have lots of patience if they see improvement. Company has had just a few forced departures over the past little while, and they were never a surprise to either the person forced out, or the rest of engineering. They try to retain people at all cost, and when people need a change, there's an opportunity to go to a different department, work on different things, etc. The compensation is fair as well - not as generous as the top 5 companies out there, but definitely beyond reasonable. - Solving interesting problems - this is individual, but the scale at which the company operates demands that the problems are solved in a creative and efficient way. Also, problems are solved bottom-up, meaning engineers design solutions and implement them, rather than solutions being pushed from above and engineering is just to blindly implement. - Locations - there are multiple to choose from for now (although once you pick, it's difficult to switch). There's engineering offices downtown, uptown, in KW, Montreal... - Transparency - company goes out of it's way to share how things are going on all fronts with everyone. People know when the company is doing great, and also when it's time to do better. - Other perks - free lunches, wall full of snacks / drinks, company swag (you can go for a full week in clothes provided by IX), team outings (every 2 months, with some crazy budgets), company 2-3 day events (engineering hackathon, all hands, etc).

Cons

I can't say there's none, but I don't think any is significant enough to be a deal breaker. Here's some: - Sometimes Product can be a bit on the difficult side. It's not unheard of in the industry, but this place isn't immune to it either. - The legacy code needs to go away sooner, or needs to be fixed as it's slowing down delivery across the board, and it's just painful to work in. - There's times when... the conversation just goes in circles, and meetings tend to run too long. Some managers contribute to this problem instead of fixing it. In general, fewer meetings and more efficient meetings would be nice. - Some groups just aren't great with committing to timelines - there's constant and unexplained delays for many things (moves, survey results, etc). - Part of the compensation package are "stock options" that in reality aren't worth anything at the moment, and this is unlikely to change in near to mid-term future. - Career path outside engineering isn't very clearly defined. For some positions it's unclear what's considered "a job well done". - There's some office politics, but this doesn't trickle down much to the engineers.

Index Exchange2019-04-25
  7. "Brave, forward thinking company"

Former Employee - Manager, Analytics in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Index Exchange full-time

Pros

Great work enviornment and staff

Cons

Lack of training, and career path

Advice to Management

None

Index Exchange2019-04-23

"Egos Galore"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Index Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Pay (if you know your market value) - Work life balance, highly respected here - Not many jerks, people are generally respectful - Company holiday parties - Branded 'swag'

Cons

Let me preface this with say that this experience is specific to the NY office. It does not speak to the experiences at the west coast offices or Canada. There is ego, after ego, after ego— especially in the NY office. You can walk down a very narrow hallway going in the opposite direction of a fellow employee and they will completely ignore your presence. I’ve never experience a company culture like this in my... life. Much like another commenter said, your experience here is entirely dependent upon your team. And on my team, our responsibilities were always in flux. Cross collaboration amongst my own team was almost non-existent. People at this company are knowledge hoarders and will actively undermine your attempt at seeking the resources you need. Diversity and representation are odd here, in that some teams have vibrant diversity while others are blindingly yt. When it comes to senior leadership, its 80% yt and male. The direction this company is heading in is also questionable, there seems to be no real focus and consistency in our long term goals.

Advice to Management

I honestly don't really know. The issues this company face are so nuanced that I would struggle to find the answers myself. All I can say is that this culture is not sustainable and have the markers of becoming toxic.

Index Exchange2019-04-02
  9. "Culture has completely gone down"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Index Exchange full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

WFH Flexibility Snacks Health Benefits Growth

Cons

company culture has completely gone down

Advice to Management

have better communication and care about the employees

Index Exchange2019-03-29

"Overall it was OK but boring"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kitchener, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Index Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

Varied opportunities for work Decent entry level pay Decent work conditions Catered lunch

Cons

Very political atmosphere, advancement was more on who you were on the good side of.

Index Exchange2019-03-21