Intrepid Travel Reviews

Found 100 of over 111 reviews

4.3
Intrepid Travel CEO James Thornton
James Thornton
Pros
  • "Great work environment with a very flat hierarchy(in 13 reviews)

• "Free trip every year, flexible hours(in 10 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Senior management have high expectations but not willing to provide resources to make them achievable(in 6 reviews)

• "There is zero work/life balance; without being explicitly told as much, you are expected to work extra hours every day(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Transparent and Positive Company

14 Apr 2021 - Customer Care Consultant in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

They are clear with their employees with how the company is positioned and set clear goals You are recognised for the hard work you put in Flexible working conditions and also times as well Management team have a genuine level of care for their team Is a company that meets your environmental and personal values

Cons

Not too much really. It was a difficult year 2020 for the travel industry, with only working job keep and having to live on that wage. Wages could have more room for improvement, but is difficult right now during the pandemic with the company receiving minimal income

Intrepid Travel Response

Thank you for sharing your insights into working at Intrepid. We're pleased you feel supported and aligned with the company goals. We recognise our people experienced the greatest impact during 2020 and we appreciate the sacrifices you've made. We're now looking ahead to a brighter future.

2. 4.0

Poor pay, good culture

17 Jun 2021 - Email Marketing Specialist in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

Discounted/ free travel, great co-workers, good culture, surrounded by like-minded people

Cons

Poor pay, lack of growth opportunities

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Brilliant brand, good people, purpose driven

13 Apr 2021 - Manager in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

What originally drew me to the Intrepid brand is the positive global impact it has on so many people, both staff and travellers. Its now both the brand and the collective of interesting, intelligent and driven people, that make me love working here. One thing that is really important to me, is the egalitarian culture Intrepid has, which means I feel I can speak to anyone no matter their seniority and enables me to have a voice and opinion. The journey ahead is looking really positive. I've been here now over 3 yrs and would highly recommend.

Cons

Working in the travel industry during a global pandemic has been challenging, however I wouldn't have wanted to go through it with any other company.

1 person found this review helpful

Intrepid Travel Response

Thanks for taking the time to share such a thoughtful review. We really appreciate it! Creating an inclusive working environment where team members feel empowered is important to us and we will continue to build on that in the future. The pandemic has been devastating, but we're now looking ahead to rebuilding as an even better, more sustainable business for the future. Thanks for being part of our team.

4. 4.0

Amazing company

21 May 2021 - Sales Representative in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

Passionate devoted staff with a real team atmosphere

Cons

Pay is very low for the skill level

Intrepid Travel Response

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. We believe we have the best team in the business and we're glad you feel the same way. While we do aim to pay a competitive salary, we accept this could be lower than other sectors. We do offer other benefits, including an employee share scheme and, in the first half of 2021, we reintroduced some benefits that had been paused in 2020, which we hope adds value to our team's overall package.

5. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Wonderful culture

13 Apr 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic culture. flexible work, terrific perks.

Cons

Salary packages aren't amazing, admittedly.

Intrepid Travel Response

Thanks for sharing your experience and it is great to hear that you rate our culture highly! We aim to pay a competitive salary but accept this could be lower than some other industries. However, we're pleased that in May 2021, some benefits that were paused in 2020 due to the pandemic have been reintroduced so our team can once again access these.

6. 1.0
      Former Employee

Incompetent, money hungry organisation hiding behind a B-corp

16 Feb 2021 - Marketing in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

Annual free trip per year, RDO’s, coffee, opportunity to meet people from overseas

Cons

Talks a big game but doesn’t even come close to living its “values”. CEO and his reports are boys club mentioned in other reviews with the single female report of the CEO heading up HR Workplace bullying and discrimination is rife, with favouritism shown to those in the inner circle The much-vaunted purpose initiatives (ie B-Corp) driven by how much PR it will generate instead of what good it will do. Whilst all staff were struggling with reduced income and hours in June last year, the big focus for HR was on new diversity training to capitalise and coincide with BLM movement rather than the welfare of existing staff. Pay is below average even for travel, hard to retain good people in areas of business with transferable skills like UX

Intrepid Travel Response

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review and we're concerned to hear about your experience. The recent staff engagement survey, conducted in Q4 2020, showed that staff rated Intrepid's leadership highly. So, our Chief People Officer would welcome a confidential conversation to understand more about your experience - please feel free to reach out directly to them, or via: PeopleFeedback@intrepidtravel.com We would like to address a few of your concerns here, too: - As a certified B Corp, Intrepid is committed to balancing purpose and profit, and our not-for-profit has disbursed more than $11m to many organisations around the world. - Intrepid is built on values of inclusiveness and diversity (our people are from 65 different nationalities). In 2020, following the global protests for racial and social justice, we committed to internal dialogue, using our voice to advocate for change and rebuilding our business more equitably. This is important to us, our people, our partners and our customers. - In early 2021, the Core Management Team comprises five women (40%) and eight men (60%).

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Company boasts being ethical but doesn't walk the walk

2 Jan 2021 - Manager in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

One free trip per year. One RDO per month. Coffee machine in kitchen. Flexible work-from-home arrangements.

Cons

Lower than average pay compared to industry. While not explicitly acknowledged, workplace culture rewards those who do extra work outside of normal office hours, making it difficult to maintain work/life balance – especially for parents. Workplace bullying is a known issue, but not acted on by management or HR. Strategies and priorities highly driven by PR rather than practicalities. Senior management have high expectations but not willing to provide resources to make them achievable. Highly political environment for management.

Intrepid Travel Response

Thank you for leaving a review and your comments, which we value. As a certified B Corp, we strive to create an inclusive work environment, to support a positive work-life balance and to develop skilled managers and leaders. We are concerned to hear this was not your experience and we would like to understand more, so we can make improvements. If you feel comfortable doing so, please get in touch: peopleprocessing@intrepidtravel.com

8. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great people!

16 Apr 2021 - Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

B Corp certified, great team environment, flexible work arrangements

Cons

Low wages when comparing to industry standards

Intrepid Travel Response

Thanks for leaving a review and it is great to hear that you're a happy team member and appreciate our flexible approach. We aim to pay a competitive salary but accept this could be lower than some other industries. Some benefits that were paused in 2020 due to the pandemic have been reintroduced, so our team can once again access and benefit from these.

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Best Company I've ever worked for!

8 Dec 2020 - Product Manager in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Excellent at employing talented people who share the company values. Also great at spotting talent within the ranks and giving them opportunity to grow. Everyone sharing these values makes it easy to see the big picture of what we are all working to achieve and also makes for a collaborative and cohesive work environment. - They tend to hire internally so there's always room to progress. - A place where everyone genuinely cares about their work and each other. Help is always there if you ask. - A company that walks the walk, not just talks the talk. Everyone lives the company values and it shows. Work life balance is achievable and encouraged. - Door's (not that there are any in an open plan office) are always open if you need to speak to someone regardless of how high up they are or if you work directly for them. Ideas are always heard and innovation encouraged.

Cons

- The pay is lower than other industries for similar roles, but anyone who's been in travel for a long time knows it's not a job you get into for the high salaries. The whole industry tends to pay lower than others. - The Team I was on did tend to operate in "silos" - everyone was wrapped up in their own region, but we were working towards changing that when I left and looking for opportunities to be more collaborative and working together cross-regionally. - I got the impression when speaking to them that the sales teams in Overseas offices felt they were forgotten and left out of a lot of communications. I did my best to reach out, as did many of my colleagues, but it isn't the same as having someone physically there to help. So more opportunity for training sessions both via video call and in person would go a long way to boosting the sales team's confidence in what they are selling.

Intrepid Travel Response

Thank you for taking the time to reflect on your time at Intrepid and for leaving a review. We're pleased that our purpose resonated with you so strongly and that you felt broadly supported in your role. We do try to pay a competitive salary for the industry, along with other benefits, but we realise it can be lower than some other sectors. Your feedback on collaboration within teams and across to other offices is very valuable. As a global business this is something we're aware of and are trying to improve. This has guided the new structure we have put in place recently. We've noted your suggestion of developing 'champion' opportunities within teams and this is something we can certainly consider introducing in 2021. We wish you well in your next adventure.

10. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Benefits are not as advertised

20 Feb 2021 - Designer in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

Rostered days off every month

Cons

Travel benefits are restricted to company products- group travel packages which do not include flights. While on travel, the company expects you to work, take photos and provide promotional material. Poor pay compared to market rate. Cult-like culture

Intrepid Travel Response

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We offer eligible team members a number of benefits, including the opportunity to experience one free trip per year (pre-pandemic). Most of our team highly value this and report a lot of personal and professional growth from the experience. The conditions for all benefits are clearly detailed in eligible employees' contracts. Alternatively, team members who choose not to use this annual travel benefit can instead use the time to further their studies or professional development.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 100 Reviews