Learning.com Reviews

Updated 2 Jul 2020

4.4
Learning.com CEO Keith Oelrich  (no image)
Keith Oelrich
Pros
  • "They understand and support each employee's work/life balance with allowances given when necessary(in 14 reviews)

• "I love the company culture at Learning(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Huge legacy technical debt that is eating up valuable developer time(in 4 reviews)

• "The office space could be better(in 3 reviews)

1. "Great company to work for."

Current Employee - Senior Accounting Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Learning.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Professional yet friendly and family-like environment, so many great people and great talents in the company to inspire and motivate individuals that we grow together, the company lives of one of its principles of work-life balance, employees are valued and appreciated and we feel it.

Cons

Its location in downtown that it is quite a traffic during rush hours, but with remote working, that is not even an issue anymore.

Continue reading
  2. "Wonderful place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Implementation Specialist in Georgetown, TX

I have been working at Learning.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I love the company culture at Learning.com. Eventhough I work remotely, I still feel connected to everything going on in the office. I am treated with respect and importance. My director and above make me feel special every day. My work is valued and I love coming to work every day. Learning.com listens to me and their customers and makes decisions based on both--I love that.

Cons

I can't think of anything.

3. "Doing the Good Work!"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Success Manager in Portland, OR
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Learning.com full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

When I started at Learning.com I was simply happy to have a great job! And, all these years later our focus and solutions are changing the world for all students and teachers implementing our materials. Today's digital world requires the foundation of strong skills on using digital tools in many ways and Learning.com supports students from Kindergarten through High School with the transferable digital skills to be successful in any environment - no matter what software solution. Learning.com's software development team is the strongest it has ever been and our leadership is fully supportive of input from our partners in schools as well as input from our Customer Success team for an outstanding digital skills curriculum. Our mission is to support teachers and students to excel in a digital world and we do that everyday with all of our school/district partners. Digital skills are as critical as phonics and Learning.com is the only company to truly support that skill. Moving forward in today's digital world requires digital skills and most teachers are not prepared to integrate digital skill instruction with core instruction. Learning.com brings equity for all students and teachers to excel and expand using digital tools for improved execution of goals and outcomes.

Cons

Growing pains are always a challenge and Learning.com needs to focus on supporting new hires. Simply pairing folks with longer tenured team members would be a good start then moving on to a more formal on-boarding/training so that the company's vision is the basis for what we do every day in our positions. Leadership vs. management may also provide opportunity for change. Supporting the management team with leadership skills learning would also continue to impact our business in positive ways.

Continue reading
  4. "9 Year anniversary - Highly recommend!"

Current Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Portland, OR

I have been working at Learning.com full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The culture is like none other I have ever experienced in my 30+ years in the workforce. They understand and support each employee's work/life balance with allowances given when necessary.

Cons

The temperature in the office can waver greatly. They contact the building management, but these issues persist. Have a warm jacket handy.

5. "A company culture second to none"

Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Portland, OR

I have been working at Learning.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company really cares about its employees. There is healthy work/life balance. They encourage opportunities for personal growth. Lots of company events, fundraisers, volunteer, etc.

Cons

There has been a lot of structure change lately and that's always a bit uncomfortable.

6. "Great people in an older tech company"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer

I have been working at Learning.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The day-to-day environment here is really lovely. The people who work here are unfailingly kind and fun to be around, and it's clear that everyone wants what's best for their coworkers and the company. People are very invested in Learning.com and there are plenty of long-term employees that have stuck around just because they like it here. There are competitive benefits and plenty of PTO as well as ample opportunity to work from home. Employees are always encouraged to take on professional development opportunities and these are always paid for by the company. They also have tuition reimbursement for employees who are working towards a degree in a related field. People who have illnesses, family troubles, etc, are always treated very well by HR and given plenty of flexibility to allow them to continue to work at Learning.com while dealing with issues in their home life. In my time here, I've always known that there was someone in the company who was genuinely invested in my career advancement and my well-being as an employee.

Cons

As an older company, Lcom has developed quite a bit of technical debt that can be frustrating to work with and cause a bottleneck in development. Addressing this old software is not a very exciting project to pitch to our board of investors, so it's rarely approved for a significant time investment on the part of the Development team. In the past, some of these attempts at improvement have been mishandled, which has just increased the technical debt instead of alleviating it. We also have some roles that are missing from the company that would be very helpful in improving communication between departments. There are very few people who have decision-making powers for our high-level product strategy, and thus these people are very overworked and product planning decisions are not always clear to the entire company (there is an ongoing effort to improve this). We attempt to be an Agile company, and within the Development department this is mostly true, but there is still a fair amount of waterfall-style project management that happens before work reaches Development, which can be frustrating as well. On a different note, the company is almost entirely white.

Continue reading
  7. "Wonderful work environment"

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Portland, OR

I have been working at Learning.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work culture, people, awesome Human Resources and product.

Cons

Current position is not very flexible but many positions here are.

Continue reading

"It was fun while it lasted."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Learning.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people, the fun-loving culture, the family atmosphere.

Cons

The workloads are not distributed, the management doesn't always manage, they are losing business and have not made good choices in the past few years.

9. "Great Mission Meets Creative Culture"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Learning.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

The first thing that attracted me to Learning.com was their mission. With the primary objectives being to improve the lives of teachers and to equip K-8 students with technology skills, I was eager for the opportunity to contribute. At my first interview, I was struck by the office’s fun energy and orientation. Over time, I’ve experienced firsthand Learning.com’s creative, playful, collaborative, and supportive culture. Once I joined the development department and began to discover my place on the team, it was rewarding to see that my work made a difference. Every developer I worked with was quick to share their wealth of information and experience and I’ve learned a lot working with each of them. The department uses the Agile methodology and has uses SCRUM and Kanban for project management.

Cons

In my department, I have a sense that necessary change is not always acted on in a timely fashion. Even when change does take place, often the internal conversation focuses on how long it's taken for this change to occur. I think this produces a negative atmosphere for the team. Instead of feeling like we're keeping up with competitors, making decisions intentionally and acting on them in a timely fashion, there's an ongoing sense of being behind the curve and frantically trying to catch up. This can be ignored for a time, but it gradually wears away at morale.

10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Portland, OR

I have been working at Learning.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

I’ve worked at LCOM for about 1 1/2 years and have really enjoyed my time so far. The company offers a product that helps shape today’s young students. Recently there has been talk about company vision and things seem to be on the rise. 2018 was a rough year for the business, but leadership has been open and are making necessary product changes. (There is still more to do with EasyTexch, but it’s a start) Benefits are very good for a smaller company, but for a tech company they are just okay. Work life balance is truly amazing and is heavily encouraged.

Cons

Continue to invest in modernizing the product.

Found 46 reviews