Lonely Planet Reviews

2.9
Lonely Planet President and CEO Luis Cabrera
Luis Cabrera
Pros
Cons
  • "Terrible culture, so much backstabbing and underhanded dealing among the staff which is only outshone by the lack of empathy by upper management(in 7 reviews)

• "Senior leadership was weak during my time, but that may have changed now with a new CEO(in 5 reviews)

1. COVID-19

"Best workplace of my career so far"

5.0
    Former Employee - Editor

I worked at Lonely Planet full-time

Pros

I've seen other reviews complaining about parts of the business I never interacted with, and I should say that my experience was in an office that is now closed so I don't know what it's like in their other offices around the world. My personal experience, though, was great. My overriding impression was that the managers genuinely cared about their staff and wanted to do right by them. I felt supported and I felt like my work was appreciated. I almost never worked overtime (and I got paid for it if I did). I got to have some say in the work I was given. Honestly, I feel like these things should be a given anywhere, but they're not, and it's to Lonely Planet's credit that they operate in this way.

Cons

They closed my office and made everyone (including me) redundant in the wake of Covid-19. I was ready to stay there long-term if I could, so I'm sad that they felt there was no way to salvage the situation.

"Lovely, but cheap"

Former Employee - Medium-level Administrative in Melbourne

I worked at Lonely Planet full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

They are the real deal. People there care about the product, they are enthused for it and they genuinely love travel. They are a caring workplace with a good culture.

Cons

They don't pay very well. Not very impressive management since they were bought out by some reclusive billionaire who doesn't even travel. The owner of the company has not once thought it worth his while to communicate with the staff once in the years he's been the owner. Lack of faith in the upper leadership affected morale on the floor. The travel-publishing industry as a whole is on the decline, rounds of layoffs were a fact of life.

3. "Great fun"

Former Employee - Management Accountant
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Lonely Planet full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work-life balance and they really look after their staff

Cons

Company structure means some inefficiencies

Lonely Planet Response

July 1, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to leave this review. It's great to hear that you valued the work life balance here at LP, as looking after our staff is really important to us too. We appreciate the feedback - we always want to empower our people, and we'll continue to look for ways to do this into the future. - Lonely Planet HR Team

"A great company lacking direction and ability to keep up with disruption"

I worked at Lonely Planet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Saw several change of leaders and owners. The company went from having great leadership to crap to average and jury is still out. - Well-loved travel brand. LP is still very well respected in the travel space - Very like-minded, friendly colleagues who loved travel and working at LP - Good culture in terms of activities outside of work (indoor soccer, drinks nights etc) - Had good career opportunities when I was there (there was actually training and a development plan!) - Had good, caring managers - Great work-life balance

Cons

- Staff are underpaid compared to similar roles in rest of industry - Lack of focus in leadership...had a CEO who could talk but didn't end up doing anything good for the company. Lots or promises but sadly, nothing eventuated - Hiring staff who are more focused on egos and who have biases and preference towards certain people - The US office located in Nashville. Really!? - Poor communication across the business - LP had many opportunities to dominate certain spaces...from being a leading Online Travel Agent to having a clear Mobile strategy...but alas, it was not to be Despite the cons, if you can get into LP, it'll look great on your resume and open doors down the line so suck up the poor pay for a year or two.

Lonely Planet Response

April 3, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. It's great to hear you enjoyed the culture and work life balance at LP as this is important to us too. We all value working with like minded people who love travel and we think it's the people at Lonely Planet that make it such a great place to work. We really appreciate your feedback as we are continuously looking for ways we can improve our employee experience. - Lonely Planet HR Team

"Exploitative"

2.0

I have been working at Lonely Planet for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun environment, central, excellent coworkers

Cons

Crap pay in relation to the work

6. "UI Designer"

I worked at Lonely Planet full-time

Pros

Great work life balance, great people.

Cons

Salary always below industry, hard to attract good talent. Have let go a lot of important staff, remaining staff just keeping it all together.

7. "Not what it used to be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

I have been working at Lonely Planet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's definitely the people who make Lonely Planet, they are talented, innovative and conscious travelers.

Cons

The company has seen a lot of restructure and unfortunately a lot of expertise was lost as a result of letting people go. The current management needs broader expertise and better communication to re-unite the company

"Not what it once was!"

2.0

I worked at Lonely Planet

Pros

Great subject matter, passionate staff, wonderful products

Cons

Largely clueless, heartless leadership & ownership

"Nice work, LP"

5.0
    Former Employee - Content

I worked at Lonely Planet full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Wow. There's been a lot of very positive Glassdoor reviews for this company since their HR Dept started panicking about poor reviews earlier this year. Lots of five-star reviews suddenly. Nice work. And the fraction of employees who think the CEO is worthwhile has almost hit 50%.

Cons

To quote other recent reviewers: there are no cons. It's just a darn shame that some folk haven't yet recognised how terrifically clever the executive is. I particularly like their focus on [insert strategy here when we think of one].

Continue reading

"Great people, changing company"

Former Employee - Editor in Melbourne

I worked at Lonely Planet full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of smart, thoughtful people who care about the LP products, with a great office culture. I'm still friends with many of my former co-workers.

Cons

Lots of restructuring and mission changes over the last several years after the company was sold to NC2 Media. Upper management not very good at communicating with employees. Not a lot of opportunity for internal advancement.

Found 94 reviews