Metro Trains Reviews

3.2
Metro Trains Ceo Andrew Lezala
Andrew Lezala
Pros
Cons
  • "Shift work, late shifts and union run(in 6 reviews)

• "You face the general public & you are always the target when nothing goes right since you're the front line(in 4 reviews)

1. "Great work"

Current Employee - Completion Engineer in Melbourne

I have been working at Metro Trains full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work at

Cons

Too many projects around the city

2. "Finance"

2.0
    Former Employee - Management Accountant in Melbourne

I worked at Metro Trains full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay well Good location Nice office

Cons

Higher management don’t care about the little guys

3. "Busy busy"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Melbourne

I have been working at Metro Trains full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Long pipe line of work

Cons

Seem to be chasing their tail

"Only if you have to"

1.0
    Former Employee - Train Driver in Melbourne

I worked at Metro Trains full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good pay, enjoyable work, great colleagues.

Cons

Terrible Management style. Divide and conquor.

5. "Love it"

Current Employee - Leading Station Assistant

I have been working at Metro Trains part-time

Pros

- the pay - the people

Cons

- office politics - -

Continue reading
  6. "Exceptional employer"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Melbourne

I have been working at Metro Trains full-time

Pros

Great culture and work life balance

Cons

None that I can think of

7. "Procurement"

Current Employee - Procurement Specialist in Melbourne

I have been working at Metro Trains full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good company to work with, nice culture

Cons

Slow, too many reporting lines

8. "They told me it was a "time of organisational change""

Current Employee - Leading Station Assistant in Melbourne

I have been working at Metro Trains full-time

Pros

Great Salary, paid leave, maternity leave, all that stuff. Great opportunities for advancement if you're willing to invest in yourself in your own time. Work outdoors in the sun and fresh air (at most stations, that is) There's usually an amazing company wide Christmas party and mostly all the slackers and naysayers and losers don't come to it so it's actually really fun.

Cons

Uniform shop is not actually a shop as you can not just go and buy what you need, so you will be stuck with what they give you for the year. The sizing is awful but they will pay for your alterations. If you are remotely tall you will need a lot of alterations. You'll be surrounded by workers who think "brains and emotion are not required" for this job, and they can just show up every day and do nothing, and basically make our grade look machine-replaceable. The training provided will not prepare you for what the job is actually all about. It will mostly only prepare you for trauma and emergency management, which is great, but you have to search for role models to help you do the most basic everyday things, and believe me these stars are few and far between. The RTBU entitlement and corruption can drive you mad, or you can just join in with them and become filled with bitterness and hate towards the company that feeds and clothes you. You choose. Either way if you don't join the union, it will look bad and although bullying and discrimination towards non-union member is not allowed rest assured people will resent you for it. Oh and it costs $30 a week.

9. "Terrible culture and work/life balance. Damned if you do, damned if you don't."

1.0
    Former Employee - Signaller

I worked at Metro Trains full-time for less than a year

Pros

*Money is good, but you'll have to sell your soul for it and no amount of money is worth the trauma. *Free public transport makes getting to and from work cheap.

Cons

*Favouritism between management and employees, and trainers and employees, which allows some employees/trainees to get away with disrespectful and disruptive behaviour without any warnings, whereas minor conduct breaches or being at the centre of nasty rumours result in termination for others. *Seen as a troublemaker if you need extra assistance or help with your training and/or job. *They assume you know everything instead of making sure you do, and if they want to check you know, they do it in front of everybody instead of asking you one-on-one. *No time to prepare for "meetings" and "performance evaluations" - They'll spring them on you without notice. *When you ask for extra training and assistance, it is denied. If you don't ask for something you'll never get and you make a mistake, you are to blame. *Contrary to what they tell you, you cannot have a life outside of Metro. You must live, breathe, eat, sleep the company. You are on call 24/7, and if you don't pick up the shifts, you are badmouthed at head office. *You cannot trust a single soul there. Everyone makes promises to your face, turns around and does the exact opposite. No loyalty whatsoever. *Constant rudeness and gossip in all levels of the company - They speak like no-one else can hear them and it messes with your head. *I was clearly having troubles fitting in with my role, and my mental health suffered greatly. At no opportunity was I offered to take a break from the role, and in fact, they tell you you'll be terminated if you do have to take several weeks off work in your probation period. That's why I never asked for one. *I was promised a role in another department, but that was also ruined by gossip and leaking of information from people who should not have even known about my transfer. Of course, I'm unable to prove such a thing happened on paper and was terminated instead.

Continue reading
  10. "Good Company to work for"

Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Metro Trains full-time

Pros

Competitive Salary, benefits and career progression

Cons

Working under extreme pressure, working extra hours

Found 77 reviews