SGN Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 23 Nov 2019

3.5
SGN CEO John Morea
John Morea
Pros
  • "Good prospects, Good stability, Good benefits, good training programme - room to progress(in 8 reviews)

• "Amazing training, management team are brilliant, never bored, great people to work with(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Senior management are more focused on bettering themselves than the wider team(in 9 reviews)

• "Long hours with unpaid breaks can lead to fatigue especially in the busy winter months(in 8 reviews)

1. "A job for life."

Current Employee - First Call Operative in London, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you're a grafter, can follow procedures & instructions, and eager to earn good money, this job is right up your street. Answer your phone when on call and you can expect £50k + per annum without even trying.

Cons

Long hours - but you're financially compensated very well. Core hours work life balance is good if you're satisfied with the basic salary. This is NOT a role for a lazy individual who wants to get paid for nothing.

Advice to Management

You're doing well gents.. Keep it that way.

SGN2019-11-23

"The Worst Job I have Ever Had"

Current Employee - Rather Not Say in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There isn't even free tea and coffee! That would be a tiny benefit that would make the day a tiny bit better. The pay is OK though, so that keeps lots of deadwood here at SGN HQ. People not going anywhere as pay is good, so people can stay in the job a long time. And if you are a BULLY, SGN is a great place to be.

Cons

This is the worst job I have ever had. The organisation has quite a few bullies, and if you try to do things for the benefit of consumers or the environment, you are targeted as being a trouble-maker. The manager in my section gave me a talking to when I started at SGN, basically saying that if I acted on my own initiative, I would be sacked. He ended by saying "It's my way or the high-way!" The trouble is, his... way is old and outdated and breaches the rules set out by Ofgem and the HSE. And HR are truly the most biased HR team in the whole of the UK. If you are not a senior manager, then you will probably bot be listened to by HR.

Advice to Management

There has to be quite a big change in SGN. There has to be anyway as the rules are changing and the public are going to want more from utility companies. That change should actively involve everyone.

SGN2019-11-01
  3. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Test Manager in Portsmouth, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for less than a year

Pros

Its a dynamic business, really up and coming in their technology, a fast paced and exciting place to work at the sharp end of today's technology. I find most the people here are really down to earth, minimising on the fluff and jargon, they actually get on with the work! I am well supported by my manager and I feel appreciated. Incredibly busy, but the work life balance is good! It is still early days in... the business, but so far so good.

Cons

Its a bit chaotic at times, lots going on. Office is very industrial and dated compared to other businesses I have worked in, limited on facilities, basic canteen, no gym and located in an industrial estate.

SGN2019-09-23
  4. "Good company, some issues"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good friendly people across the full of SGN. Progression is good however this isn't across the board, some managers lack understanding in this and I have noticed this over the years. There are good benefits and flexibility in working hours to maintain a work life balance - again this isnt across the board. There are many internal jobs that literally anyone within SGN can apply and this is encouraged. Line managers... are really helpful and want to better you and your career. Good networking opportunities across the business and external.

Cons

Senior management are more focused on bettering themselves than the wider team. A lot of new projects and resource is always stretched without thinking about how this effects the rest team who need to pick up more work - hire more people and this wont be an issue. Departments all work differently and it's difficult to get work done as slow engagement. Heavy workload and a lot is expected of you. Not enough modern... technology to support employees working in depot/offices, very behind compared to other companies . Meetings are always far too long and annoying when you have to travel far. A lot of culture differences across scotland and southern. Depots/offices are in poor locations and some very old inside. Employee surveys to share thoughts but not the right questions being asked

Advice to Management

Directors/senior management engage more with the wider team to understand their needs, this will help your employees stay for long periods. Stop focusing on your career only. Improve on IT and try and have departments working better together

SGN2019-10-05

"The worst job I have ever held."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, South East England, England

I worked at SGN full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have no pros to this job - see my advice to management.

Cons

Dishonest, duplicitous, illegal and unethical. I hope that they get bitten by karma very, very hard.

Advice to Management

I joined SGN in late January. In my training team we had three people, myself included. On our first day, one of our other new starters mentioned that she rarely (very rarely) had a smell of gas in her garage. Our trainer told her that she should get one of the engineers to attend. The next day, the trainer asked her if she had done this - namely, called in during her free time outside of work and booked in for work.... The new starter explained that she hadn't had time to do so. The new trainee never came back. She was fired, right then and there. For not having followed an order from her trainer in her own free time, outside of work. That's the type of environment that SGN wanted, I realized. They don't want you to work there - they think that if you wear their name badge, they own you. Even in your own free life, outside of work. I didn't say anything at the time. Instead, I kept working away there. Everything was going swimmingly, I was at the top of my training team. We had a new trainer who sat with me daily, and I was exceeding all of my targets. Until the first of April, when management pulled me into a meeting and told me that I wasn't where they wanted me to be with my training and dismissed me on the spot. I genuinely couldn't believe it. At first I thought it was an April Fools joke. I outright told them that this was incorrect. I left the room and asked my trainer, who told me that he knew nothing about this and reassured me that I was exactly where I should be for my training. I spoke to the manager again, but all she would say is that they made up their mind. In response I told them that this was fine - it had been a waste of months of my time - and handed in my security pass. I told them that I expected their REAL reason for dismissal to be submitted to me in writing. To this date I have not received that. No letter, no actual truth to their reason, nothing. I have had no communication from SGN, they completely refused to acknowledged in any way - I have spoken to an employment tribunal and the company's refusal to give any comment in any way seems to be designed to block that legal route. Very, very unethical. The entire thing was extremely fishy. I was well loved by my team and exceeding all of my training, taking to the job easily and was meeting every criteria. I can only think of only four possible reasons 1- The company had brought in too many new starters and overspent. As my work rota included a lot of overnights, my salary was costing the company more than the other new starters and so I was dismissed as a money-saving exercise. 2- The company became aware that I was intending to undergo gender reassignment surgery and had an issue with this 3- The company became aware that I am a member of a trade union and had an issue with this 4- On one incident during training, the department manager asked all of the new starter staff to tell him their opinions on brexit, I can only assume to gauge whose opinions matched his own. With SGN's refusal to engage in any way with their unlawful and immoral practices, I doubt that I will ever find out the truth, but I would advise anybody who is offered a role with this organisation to run in the other direction as fast as possible.

SGN2019-10-25
  6. "Undervalued"

Current Employee - Pressure Control Craftsman in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent Pension Decent PPE Love double time on a sunday

Cons

Standbys are changing without consultation showing lack of respect for workforce A new work management system is replacing one that works perfectly well.... the new one does not (can only imagine someone in the office has got a pat on the back for hacking off the entire workforce) Higher management havent a clue what maintenance do, that lack of understanding leads to the whole department being completely... undervalued Lack of investment in the front line business, christ we're going about in vans near 10 years old with 140,000 miles on the clock The vast majority of the department are incredibly highly skilled however the couple of incompetent engineers ruin the reputation of our department by being allowed to continuously act unsafely and incompetently by management either too personally attached or too scared to deal with them Drives for D&I are just shameless plugs to show how PC the business is, soon it will no longer be about if you're the best person for the job but if you fit the bill for the quota someone in HR needs filling

Advice to Management

Sort yourselves out, the workforce isn't a happy place. You're changing systems of work there is no fault with, you're removing the best aspects of the job, you're completely unaware of what we do so don't try and tell us how to do it and please realise.... the further you are away from us who work and the less you interfere, the happier and more productive we are

SGN2019-09-27
  7. "Pay"

Current Employee - Opps Controller in Portsmouth, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people I work with

Cons

The senior management team never seem to listen

Advice to Management

Engage with your staff

SGN2019-08-09
  8. "Pay"

Current Employee - Gas Engineer

I have been working at SGN full-time

Pros

Pay is good and people friendly

Cons

Don't have any issues with them

SGN2019-08-03
  9. "Good"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good team and good working conditions

Cons

I have no cons to give about them

Advice to Management

Listen you suggestions from field staff.

SGN2019-07-22

"Staff should be the heart of this business"

Current Employee - Customer Support in Horley, Surrey, South East England, England

I have been working at SGN full-time for less than a year

Pros

Majority of staff are extremely genuine and good to work with

Cons

When speaking with other staff at SGN everyone sounds so downtrodden, underpaid and overworked seems the mantra here - old school managers that really need to be brought into this century - so many layers to the contracts here, no one is on the same which leads to a massive divide -

Advice to Management

You do have good staff here and really need to make this a fair place to work - educate the older colleagues that things have changed and time to get with a modern day office environment - salaries need to be looked at - seems to be no movement in salary for staff wishing to stay in the job their in and in to which they thrive - please look after your staff - a thank you sometimes goes such a long way for some... that feel overlooked

SGN2019-07-26