Walmart Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Doug McMillon
11,112 Ratings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance sometimes not there" (in 853 reviews)

• "They schedule u an 38 hours so they don't have to give full time benifits" (in 1172 reviews)

1. "job"

Pros

litness and legitness and was cool

Cons

not lit rly not

2. "worst"

Former Employee - CSO in Charlotte Bay
    Former Employee - CSO in Charlotte Bay

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

no pros
    worst job ever wouldnt recommend it to anyone

Cons

poor management
    long working hours with little compensation

Advice to Management

pay attention to associates

3. "manager"

I have been working at Walmart full-time

Pros

autonomy
    niche market
    team work
    network
    event management

Cons

long hours
    internet
    changing market
    competitive
    low gross profit

4. "Marketing Coordinator"

Former Employee - Site Marketing Coordinator in Sydney
    Former Employee - Site Marketing Coordinator in Sydney

I worked at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

this company has several opportunities and has excellent infrastructure to development professional.

Cons

administration of time is necessary because work several hours per day.

5. "OK company to work for, but your experience will depend greatly on the people you work with."

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are open to it and it's something you really want, you can learn a lot about how a business works and it is possible to learn and develop skills. I worked at Walmart while earning my degree and my managers were supportive of that goal and willing to let me change my availability so I could go to classes. Once you're off the clock you don't have to deal with anything and can go home without bringing work with you.

Cons

You will always have to give more to Walmart than you will get in return (especially compensation-wise). Workloads are heavy. Customers can be nasty and will treat associates poorly. Many long-time associates like to compare the way things are now to back when Sam Walton was running the company and say things have gotten worse.

Advice to Management

Improve wages and benefits. Get a handle on improving the technology associates must use to do their jobs. The focus on customer service and keeping customers happy is fine but make clear that doesn't mean customers (or store management) are allowed to disrespect associates.

6. "Horrible"

Former Employee - Sale Associate in Deptford
    Former Employee - Sale Associate in Deptford

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was good, co-workers were nic2

Cons

Never had a weekens off, managers did not and do not care about the employees, work them like slaves and manageea walk around with there hands up their butts, walk around shouting orders but do nothing.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees complaints they know what's going on in the store

7. "Distribution is good pay for what it is"

Current Employee - Unloader/Processor in Mount Crawford, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Unloader/Processor in Mount Crawford, VA (US)

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The distribution center had a good pay rate for the rural area. Most of the people you work with should be good to go. The management team I worked under was very reasonable.

Cons

There is a VERY high turnover rate, and there are many reasons for that. The production rates are unreasonable in some departments, and management turnover is also bad. The different shifts screw each other over. Walmart internal culture in general is poison. There are exceptions.

8. "The Gentle Giant"

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits and pay.

Pay is $2/hr more than previous employer and $4/hr more than nearest competitor. There's also a bonus program for ALL associates based on location performance.

There's a 10% discount on non grocery items and produce available to all full-time associates beginning at 90 days and part-time associates available after 1 year. The pay for my position is the second highest in my market. There is a stock purchase plan and retirement plan. They put money in my retirement plan before I did. They match me up to 6%. There are scholarships, tuition reimbursement, free adult learning, free GED, and they've partnered with a few schools to offer nearly free degree paths.

Cons

The worst part is how people talk about the company. I've only been with the company a few months, but it's hard hearing the world bash something that has drastically improved my life.

Everyone is held accountable for their assignments. If you want to slack off you're going to hate it. If you go to work to get things done, you'll love it.

Customer First practices by corporate and upper management means bad behavior is more acceptable than at other companies. My prior two employers would not tolerate a customer being verbally abusive to an employee nor offer any apology or comoensation for any inconvenience caused by policies. Here a manager has given away several hundred dollars in medications for the inconvenience of the pharmacist taking their required 30 minute lunch during their 12 hour shift and we are subjected to the most hateful people who scream and curse at us and we're expected to simply accept it.

Advice to Management

Grow a spine. Stand up and shout to the heavens (and the media) exactly what our company offers in the way pay and benefits in comparison with the rest of the retail and grocery market. Stand up to your customers, too! There's no reason to not require civil behavior from patrons.

9. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Software Engineer(Internship) in Bentonville, AR (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer(Internship) in Bentonville, AR (US)

I worked at Walmart (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work with really good work like balance

Cons

Adjusting to Bentonville and Northwest Arkansas can be quite hard

10. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at Walmart part-time

Pros

Pay and co-workers and management were friendly

Cons

The attendance policy if you have a doctors excuse