Wayfair Reviews

Niraj Shah
1,349 Ratings
  1. "Ok"

I worked at Wayfair full-time

Pros

good culture learning experience good work colleagues

Cons

low pay no room for growth

"A perfect place to keep your head down"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wayfair is a fantastic company if you're a software engineer who's looking to keep quiet, and not speak up when management treats you like garbage. And it excels at finding leaders who are willing to go the extra mile to be untrustworthy and make you feel like your job isn't safe (and for real, it's not).

Cons

Let's talk. The company has been growing like crazy, and one thing that was never thought about was "can we actually hire at a sustainable rate, and scale accordingly?" The answer was no on both counts. Software engineers at Wayfair have a history of disappearing. People who enter labs have an especially low success rate (70% make it through, and less than 50% last a whole year). It's basically their way to run people through a burnout gauntlet, and see who survives. And then you have the stories of the people who come in to work and are just asked to resign. You'll see hints of it here on Glassdoor if you dig, and it's even worse than what you read. They actually gathered all the engineers for a big meeting at the beginning of this year. And they said that they were sorry that people felt scared and were sad that people felt like management didn't care. Which is exactly how we felt. They promised that their door was open, and they were going to work hard to set things right. One person out of 500 stood up and asked a really cutting question. AND THEN THEY FIRED HIM! And there were 3 completely different official reasons given about it. It's crazy. The leaders also started up an engineering meeting to keep everyone on the same page and answer anonymous questions. One time someone asked why we couldn't get snow days off, because it was tough to shovel for 3 to 4 hours and still work an 8 hour day. So the leaders proceeded to talk down to us and reprimand us for even thinking about asking a question like this. Turnover has been high over the past year, and the best people are leaving. This worries management, but they still have no idea that the problem is actually them creating a terrible environment. So if you're a good person who cares about the person next to you and leaving things better than you found them, don't bother applying here. But if you're not, and you just want to keep your head down and not question anything, then this is the perfect place for you. And if that's what you want, Wayfair gets 5 stars. Amazing career opportunities if you want to have the same job forever. Incredible senior management that value untrustworthiness. A fantastic culture of watching people next to you disappear. It's truly a perfect company.

Continue reading

Wayfair Response

November 13, 2017Engineering Director

First, I wanted to thank you for providing feedback. Second, I am very sorry to hear that your experience was far from ideal. I know it can be hard to give feedback if you feel management is the problem, but leadership would love to learn about these issues to refine the Wayfair employee experience. We do try to create an open and transparent environment; one thing we’ve started doing is department-wide anonymous surveys. This has been helpful in identifying issues where people don’t feel comfortable speaking up for whatever reason and pinpoint where any issues may exist. As you noted, the company is growing very quickly - our Engineering team alone has grown tenfold over the past five years. I won’t pretend we get it right all the time, but we do aim to scale our teams and our systems reasonably to meet the rapid growth of our business, and we rely on employee feedback to refine these processes. To that end, we’ve put a lot of time and energy into our interview process. And, we closely track our voluntary and involuntary attrition rates to make sure we are keeping high employee retention and so that we can immediately nip any potential issues in the bud. For Wayfair Labs, we’ve made huge strides since the beginning of this program, and our average success rate is now over 90%, with several classes at 100%. We also run management trainings on giving, receiving and soliciting feedback. In these trainings - and in general - we encourage respect for all teammates and partners, communication and collaboration, and we try create opportunities for people to take on new challenges. I am very excited about the work we’re doing to solve tough challenges and there’s an exciting opportunity for our employees to do big things – our goal is to build a team that feels encouraged and empowered to do so. I’m very sorry you didn’t have the experience we try to cultivate. Once again, thank you for this feedback.

3. "Overall good"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Wayfair full-time

Pros

Culture. The colleagues are very friendly and willing to help with you. Perfect work life balance.

Cons

Tech stack is a bit outdated.

4. "Great place to work for"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Port Wentworth, GA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

works with employees, able to grow with the company, easy to work for

Cons

a little unorganized at times due to new ever changing standards, work does come and go due to e-commerce. Lack of training in some departments needs to be organized to a set period of training before anyone gets on the floor.

5. "It's as good as what you make of it"

Current Employee - Product Designer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

• A lot of freedom - if you make your case, you can do whatever you want. • Many departments value WLB and avoiding crunch on the creative/product side. • Rub shoulders with some of the most intelligent individual contributors you'll find in tech. • Historically bad with transparency company-wide, but has since pivoted to improve in this area significantly in regards to compensation and reviews. • Work on interesting projects/become a trailblazer for e-commerce. • Decent culture with mostly-jovial people. • Good yearly bonus + okay benefits.

Cons

• Too many inexperienced middle-managers - causes severe communication issues for certain departments. • Bias/favoritism for certain departments, making promotions few and far between for certain personality types. • Expected to work outside of your assigned duties to prove you deserve a promotion. This sometimes results in burnout and unrealistic expectations. • Changing departments/roles is almost like starting from scratch. you have to rebuild any rapport you had, making previous reviews irrelevant. • Pay is overall low for certain roles - way under market average for L1-L2. • Health insurance options are limited/lackluster. • Not a clear avenue for compensation negotiations during review cycles. • Relies on grading on a curve/corporate calibrations during review cycles - a "necessary" evil to keep overspending for promotions in check and keep managers honest when it comes to removing subjectivity from reviews.

Continue reading
  6. "Good work experience"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Berlin
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Wayfair full-time for less than a year

Pros

International and friendly environment. Excellent relationship with managers.

Cons

The result counting system to receive bonuses.

7. "Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Big Flats, NY

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wayfair treats their employees incredible!! Always rewarding and a great culture atmosphere. They are always striving to make employees reach their best potential

Cons

the hourly pay could be better

8. "Best place to work for"

Current Employee - Sales and Service Consultant in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for less than a year

Pros

team philosophy / management cooperation

Cons

it's micro-managed but I guess it has to be this way for virtual jobs

9. "A good company to work"

Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

In general, it's a good company. Can learn a lot if you join.

Cons

Start to hire too many managers (MBAs) with not enough working experience

10. "Wayfair is the best company to work for"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been in Wayfair for a year to this day. I had never worked in a well established company before. I enjoy my work here. Though i am nervous and feel less knowledgeable as compared to others on the team, no one looks at me that way. My manager and my other teammates boost my confidence and push me to do more. The environment and people outside my team are friendly and helpful. No one criticizes anyone, instead everyone works towards lifting everyone up. The tech stack that my team works with is great, C#, SQL, Kube, Kafka etc. Wanting to learn and grow more here.

Cons

Ummm, too competitive. could chill a bit.

Found 2081 reviews