World Wide Technology Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 17 Oct 2019

3.8
World Wide Technology CEO Jim Kavanaugh
Jim Kavanaugh
Pros
  • "WWT has great people who work hard but also are fun to be around(in 190 reviews)

• "Consistent messaging around leadership and Core Values(in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • "It is seeming to get a little bit better as of late but it is visible on the floor that not everyone is a fit for WWT(in 113 reviews)

• "Wait that there job i understand the the core values but that also is a funny subject(in 44 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent leadership, company culture, Midwestern values, work life balance, everyone is respected at all levels and treated fairly

Cons

Lack of diversity in background, age, and gender of employees

Advice to Management

Continue to recruit widely and at all age groups

World Wide Technology2017-01-09

January 10, 2017Director of Human Resources

Thank you. I think we're probably more diverse than you realize but it's something we can always improve upon and something that's top of mind as we continue to grow. Thanks again and good luck.

2. "Incredible benefits"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Among the incredible benefits, great medical, profit sharing, 401k match, is 17 days starting PTO plus Federal holidays. The great people at WWT are the best asset, and the culture encourages and promotes a positive attitude.

Cons

Compared to other small and large companies, it's hard to come up with a true negative inherent to the company and culture.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in the culture.

October 18, 2019Sr. Director of Human Resources

Thanks and I agree on our benefits. Thank you for acknowledging them and appreciating them. We should never take culture for granted either!

3. "Great Place to Work but Experiencing Growing Pains"

Current Employee - Supply Chain Coordinator in Edwardsville, IL

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of job opportunities Great benefits for most Core Values usually practiced everywhere

Cons

Pay, pay, and pay Time off Leadership Disciplinary actions not taken

"Great opportunities abound."

Current Employee - Technician in Edwardsville, IL

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The passion and dedication that the leadership team exhibits each and every day on all levels of the company is enormous. I feel I'm part of a positive culture where contributions are appreciated. There is an energy and an intensity that is contagious here and I believe a direct reflection of the innovation taking place here and the company values that are introduced to people from day one. It is truly a Great... Place to Work! Why am I interested in WWT? Short answer/ Spirit of Innovation, People, Culture, Company Performance, Opportunity. I feel a amazing amount of gratitude for the opportunity to be a part of this organization, and excited to do my part to contribute to WWT’s success.

Cons

CONS- Management has created a silo mentality and there's no real training program. The job is stimulating & challenging and I'm able to learn new things and develop my skill set. There are opportunities to grow and progress within the company.

Advice to Management

Know what you're doing. Are you aware of each of your team members responsibilities? ... Trust your employees. ... Be clear about expectations. ... Say “yes” ... Encourage and appreciate

World Wide Technology2019-10-10

October 10, 2019Sr. Director of Human Resources

Thank you! Regarding training, I wish you could be more specific. We have an entire Learning and Development Team located at GHQ and in Edwardsville. We also have regular Leadership Training (Management Foundations) that is available to all managers. Please reach out to HR if you have specific questions and thanks again.

"Best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of room to grow, very supportive management. Ego's don't get in the way very often, which leads to projects being completed in the best way possible, not the best for a particular person.

Cons

If you aren't a self starter, then you'll struggle here. Additionally, if you can't set your ego aside and take critical feedback honestly, you'll likely have your feelings hurt. If you're content to keep your head down and collect a paycheck, you won't see much upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Don't let the message replace the positive actions that you provide to your employees.

World Wide Technology2019-10-04

October 4, 2019Sr. Director of Human Resources

Thank you! Very insightful "cons". Thanks for sharing.

6. "Salary"

Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time

Pros

Great benefits Company committed to culture Great pay if you work hard.

Cons

Can't really think of too many. Turnover was a little high I guess?

World Wide Technology2019-10-07

October 8, 2019Sr. Director of Human Resources

Thank you.

"Used to be great, not any more"

Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Above average medical, 401k, and PTO benefits

Cons

This company used to live by their core values and beliefs. Over the past 18 months have seemed to transition away from any focus for their employees. Much more emphasis on the making money than caring for their employees. Company used to have regular team building, and trust building activities, which no longer exists. Trust between management employees has started to deteriorate rapidly as evidenced by all of the... other reviews on Glassdoor. As the company has grown, it seems that the mission and core values statements no longer apply. Although standard benefits are above average, base salary is low for the industry. Nepotism rubs rampant at this company especially in Professional Services.

Advice to Management

You are losing employees daily. Bad reviews and complaints are met with lip service. Investigate, review, and remove, the senior managers and leadership, who are not living the core values.

World Wide Technology2019-10-15

October 16, 2019Sr. Director of Human Resources

Thanks. Rapid growth has definitely impacted things around here. No one is giving up and the Executive Team is still fully engaged and not going anywhere. I hope things get better from your perspective soon. Thank you again.

"Good not Great"

Current Employee - Sales
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Healthcare benefits are incredibly cheap. Onsite Health Clinics at St. Louis Location. Mental health applications as well as on-site consultants. - Some positions allow for flex-schedules and work from home opportunities - Top level executives truly do believe and mean what they say - I believe they are actually genuine in their goals, and their vision of a great place to work with a great culture - but... unfortunately much like the "telephone game" the messaging is lost as its passed down through middle management. The company is getting too big and the impact the executives once had on culture is dwindling due to rapid growth. Town halls and questionnaires are great for connecting with the executives, but the impact has little lasting effects when the middle management, who leads the day to day operations and don't exhibit the same culture (they talk about the culture a lot, but living it is different) People do fall in love with the executive leadership. Jim and Dave have great humble personalities. Even middle management loves the messaging....its just harder to get middle management to act on the message. - Hackathon/Innovation projects are projects where employees are encouraged to develop a new product/process/initiative. These are pretty neat and employees are encouraged to join and even allocated business hours to work on these. - Day of Caring - WWT gives a day for employees each year to give back to the community - whether in a group or on your own - to volunteer for the cause of your own personal choosing. This does not impact your PTO and you can take this day at any point throughout the year. - Wellness Screening Bonus PTO - every year WWT offers a "wellness screening" in which you can volunteer to have your blood tested for high cholesterol, glucose, etc etc and not only do they do this for the good of your own health, but you get an additional PTO day for anyone who has completed this screening as part of WWT's health awareness initiatives. - The core values are truly fantastic. Whether or not they are executed on by every employee could be disputed, however the foundation and backbone of "THE PATH" (Trust, Humility, Embrace Change, Passion, (Positive) Attitude, Team Player, Honestyand Integrity) is a great moral compass to lean on.

Cons

- WWT says a lot of good things. We say we are a great place to work. We talk about good leaders. We say "no bad managers." We say "open door policy"....we are really great at talking. Not so good at doing and acting on these words. We drink a lot of Kool Aid and have become to lose the meaning of our words, unfortunately. After 13 years with this company it really has changed. The messaging is still positive and... consistent from corporate and they have truly great goals and visions, but unfortunately its a lot of talk....the bad managers run rampant, the perks are becoming fewer and far between with budget constraints. GHQ seems to offer much more benefits (tickets to race events at a local St. Louis racetrack, concert tickets at times) but the satellite offices are left in the dark and many are left wondering (whats so great about WWT compared to any other company?) - Most of the current focus has been on the warehouse side of things, but WWT has been continuously slipping in all areas of the business. In sales, engineering, etc. Part of this is due to growing pains, but many things are simply due to lack of training in some instances and wrong seat on the bus in others. If you check Fortune's Great Places to Work list (which WWT greatly prides itself on) you will notice that they have consistently fallen on that list year over year. - There are a couple regional sales managers that are very rude and arrogant to internal teams (sales ops, labs, SRC, etc) in order to get what they want. Top level management is aware, but conditions have not changed. This bad attitude then seeps into the account level sales teams and poor attitudes become the norm. - Other regional sales managers are very highly qualified sales reps, but they lack the skills to manage a team. They were promoted due to their success with their customers - but this does not translate into being an effective manager/leader. - WWT tends to grease the squeakiest wheels. The employees (especially sales reps) that whine and complain the most, cut the lines, break process, and steamroll over others tend to get what they want the fastest, while humble, rule following, culture abiding reps get pushed aside in lieu of pacifying the non-culture fit. -Training is continuously lacking. We blame "fast growth" on lack of in-depth training new hires, but when "Growth Company" is a literal corporate goal - are we actually expecting business to slow down enough to properly train someone? The answer is we won't and we don't. We're obsessed with growing so rapidly that the bubble will eventually burst, we will lose many good tenured employees (check last month's termination report - a dozen 6-10+ year employees jumped ship) and eventually WWT will become a hollow shell because the best folks will no longer tolerate the atmosphere. - WWT has been saying "we are experiencing growing pains" for the last 5+ years. Its an excuse for "hey thats the norm around here." They've put different initiatives in place (Business Process Improvement, BPI) and others, but many of them have taken years to roll out and the end results for those processes that have rolled out see minimal performance improvement gains. WWT is trying but employees aren't feeling the weight lifted off their shoulders - Still a constant struggle for tenured employees to get appropriate raises from the inside. If you want a solid increase, the common joke is that you have to leave the company and come back - which is something many employees have done. WWT is much more focused on hiring people from Cisco, Dell, NetApp, DiData/NTT, Insight, etc than growing ISRs and internal folks who actually know WWT's inner workings - Its extremely hard for an ISR or Ops person to make the transition into outside sales. A few have done it through the Federal/GSP space, but its difficult unless you're the son/daughter of an executive (nepotism is popular at world wide....however many of the relatives are very hard working people and nepotism isn't innately a bad thing, but in certain instances special roles/exceptions have been created for family that otherwise wouldn't have been created at all). - WWT is popular for what I'd call the "delayed compensation promotion" in which you are promoted to a new role and you are given the new title, tasks/responsibilities, etc - but told you will not have your pay adjusted until the first of the year. For instance was once promoted to a team lead in March and was told that an appropriate increase for my responsibilities would come in January the following year due to budgets and it would be "too hard" for finance to adjust pay mid-year. This has been a common theme for many employees - HR/Finance should make it easier for managers to give mid-year raises if they are merited. The replies on Open Door and Glass Door to this one continuously say that "we pay accordingly and promotions should come with a raise" but that doesn't happen in practice. Even in lateral role changes where a raise might not be "expected" HR needs to realize that managers are telling employees that they will get a large bump, but it won't come until the next year because they can't get funding for it - but that role change comes with more responsibilities (hence managers saying an increase will come). So regardless of if its a lateral move or a promotion - employees are being told by managers that they aren't allowed to increase pay or have been told its too difficult to increase pay until the budgets are set the next year. This isn't a one manager thing either. Three different managers have said the same thing - so hopefully this bullet isn't glossed over with a "well a promotion should come with a raise" or "if it was a lateral move that doesn't come with a raise" - when managers are saying that the raise simply can't be approved until the next year.

Advice to Management

WWT is a decent company, but its hard to call it great at the moment. Internally, greatness is put on a pedestal. Unfortunately we can't remain great just by saying we are. We have to actually show it and prove it, which is easier said than done. With so many new tech companies "innovating" (popular buzzword at WWT) and changing the game - we no longer are any more "great" than our competitors and partners. If... you check the top lists, many of our competitors and partners now rank with or above us on GPTW type lists. We are hiring people from those organizations and they a few have expressed confusion as to whats better about WWT (not that its a worse place...but its not understanding what is better). Especially with such a GHQ-centric culture - satellite offices are not getting this amazing experience that HQ-ers have. Don't stop trying to move forward, but understand that we have some very tough competition out there and while we may think we're great - we aren't the only ones. It pains me to give a neutral Job performance to the CEO Jim Kavanaugh. I believe he absolutely deserves a thumbs up for his passion and his great demeanor and positive outlook, but if his message isn't effective and being heard by his middle management, then something isn't working within the leadership style. Jim is absolutely respected by the majority of employees and peers, but effective leadership needs to resonate throughout the mid-levels of the organization and there are some gaps right now. I have no doubt that Jim and the executive team will turn things around (and I know he's spending a lot of time in front of field teams), but somehow we have to find a way for the culture to actually stick with mid level management and get them start acting on the words they say and unfortunately that weighs on the current ranking. Hoping to see some positive changes and a different mindset at this time next year - but unfortunately don't see things changing in the next 6 months as there is just too much to work on at the moment.

World Wide Technology2019-09-10

September 12, 2019Sr. Director of Human Resources

Thank you for this very thoughtful, balanced, and constructive feedback. I can assure you it's being shared. Thank you for 13 plus years with us. I hope you will notice some improvements soon. Thanks again and good luck.

"Average"

Former Employee - Finance in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at World Wide Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, fun events, top-notch benefits. Culture is cool, but feels forced.

Cons

Lower pay. Average is tolerated way too often. Definitely more 'bosses' than leaders. A lot of leadership has been with the company from the beginning. Good for culture, but have no experience operating at scale and it shows. There was a fair amount of deception (starting in my interview), lack of transparency and lack of follow-through while I was at WWT. Very dated operations for a tech company.

Advice to Management

Growth has to be sustainable. The people and operations in place weren't ready, and the result is chaos. IMO, WWT is far too reactive, which I don't think will continue to work in the tech industry - It's only going to move faster.

October 18, 2019Sr. Director of Human Resources

Thanks. We've grown very fast and have some work to do. Thank you for being candid. Best of luck to you in your new role and I'm sorry it didn't work out for you here.

"Good—Not Great—Place to Work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at World Wide Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Good atmosphere - Good colleagues - Good benefits

Cons

- Sales seems to be over promising and under delivering a lot lately - With a focus on growing the organization headcount, not everyone is necessarily up to the same standards as we used to have - Not a lot of time is given any more to helping enculture new hires on existing teams

Advice to Management

Slow down with the bureaucracy before it gets out of hand. Don't decide that growth is most important and sacrifice culture and quality at its altar, because that will end up hurting us in the long run.

World Wide Technology2019-09-24

September 24, 2019Sr. Director of Human Resources

Thanks. Interesting. I really appreciate the constructive feedback and will share it.

Found 902 reviews