Yelp Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman

1,556 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There is a fully stocked kitchen (but you'll get sick of that food quickly) (in 90 reviews)

• There's work life balance and the company encourages it through PTO (in 85 reviews)

Cons
  • The business owners account is not even willing to point out unique traffic to (in 125 reviews)

• Can be exhausting if you don't have a work/life balance (use the Gym subsidy) (in 37 reviews)

1. "A fun place to work"

Former Employee - Community Manager in Melbourne
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Melbourne

Pros

Great opportunities for career growth
    A supportive team even when you work remotely
    Yearly international trips

Cons

Working around 60 hours per week
    Under paid

2. "A foot on the ladder"

I worked at Yelp full-time

Pros

Got a foot in the door with tech and worked with some great people. Plenty of benefits and a great social side

Cons

The product is horrible. And insanely overpriced. While some good, senior staff were abismal. Regularly fed false information and a hugely creepy, cultish atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Be nicer, be more honest, lower your prices.

"Community Management and Marketing"

Current Employee - Community Manager
    Current Employee - Community Manager

Pros

The flexibility is amazing - most days I work offsite from lovely cafes. The hours are not fixed - just as long as you get things done.

Cons

Yelp is less structural compared to most companies. Though you still have your seniors supporting you, it's a very self-learning job.

4. "A proven great place to work and build a career"

I worked at Yelp full-time

Pros

- Mission is meaningful
    - Very low politics
    - Strong manager quality
    - Diversity of team members
    - Keep things simple and straight forward

Cons

- requires self motivation to learn all that is happening in company given its large scale and functional structure.

5. "Great place for new moms"

Current Employee - Stock Plan Administrator
    Current Employee - Stock Plan Administrator

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

*There are several mother's room to pump and there are pumps on site so you don't have to cart yours back and forth. You are provided with your own tube supplies when you return to work and there is a place to wash all these supplies in the room.
    *People are understanding that life happens my boss gives me the flexibility to work from home when necessary.
    *Only a mile walk from CalTrain
    *Great health benefits for individuals
    *401k match that increases as you stay
    * Stock is given to most job positions
    *ESPP is available to all full time employees
    *Fun place to work with many social events to get to know your coworkers

Cons

*Traveling to and from SF is expensive and time consuming.
    *Open floor plans (no cubes) makes it so noise transfers easily, headphones are necessary

6. "5 Star Experience"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was skeptical when I first started at Yelp because it was me and 50 others in my starting class. I have to say that I am so thankful I didn't listen to the naysayers and went with my gut and took the job. I love using Yelp so I knew I could sell it. Aside from the day to day, I have made lifelong friends and have learned more about myself than I could have imagined. There are lots of inaccurate reviews on here from negative employees so don't be fooled, Yelp is great.

- Work/life Balance - Tell me another company in NYC that actually wants you to leave at 5:30pm and take PTO to enjoy your life.
    - Incredible Culture - Yelp Values are front and center which drives an amazing, positive culture. If you don't live them, you won't last long which is a good thing. Toxic coworkers suck the life out of everyone and then rant on Glassdoor because they're upset that they won't get promoted.
    - Challenging Job - Cold-calling is not a walk in the park but you need to pay your dues no matter what when starting your career. You learn a lot about yourself and come out stronger in the end. They make it fun with games and incentives.
    - Leadership - Very supportive management team starting from the top down. They actually really do care about you as a person and your success. If you're being a jerk they will call you out which is appreciated and shows they really want you to be better.
    - Diversity is a priority and has been spoken about many times in fireside meetings with the Head of Sales.
    - Opportunity - Lots of opportunity to move up the ladder in sales.
    - Barista & Food - I drink 3 cups a day so I appreciate a real barista.
    - Frequent Offsites - Free food and drinks is always a bonus.

Cons

- Would be great if there were more opportunity in NY outside of sales. Marketing and AM teams would be a great addition.
    - Negative coworkers that complain about teammates and management but are too afraid to speak up and make it better. They should be fired or leave if they are so unhappy. It's a downer and everyone knows who they are.
    - Pay could be higher.

Advice to Management

- More incentives
    - Less roundups
    - Close the week of Christmas and New Years
    - Keep being awesome

7. "More Than Just a Job"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Yelp has changed my life in more ways than I could describe in this review. I was a new college grad with no background in sales and no clue what I wanted to do with my life.

With advice from a management team that actually takes the time to care about their employees and give constructive feedback, I was able to master cold calling (one of the hardest skills in the job force and something that can be applied to any future job) and take on bigger, more impactful roles year after year.

The day to day isn't easy, but like anything, if you commit to improving and look at the job as a way to master a skill-set, rather than asking yourself "Is this my dream job", what you'll find is that it's a lot more than just making phone calls. It becomes a dream job when you couple the skills you learn with the culture and the growth potential the company has.

The job itself is one big lesson in resilience, communication, and more so a place to learn how to grow a career and be the most productive version of yourself.

Cons

I'd be stretching to try and find a con. I really love working here.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people. It's amazing to see the positive effects a manager can have, not just on someone's career, but their livelihood.

8. "Great Place i recommenced to anyone, apply"

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of growth opportunities here, great product

Cons

monotonous work but once you learn the job you either like or hate it

"Perspective is Everything"

Former Employee - Account Executive/Sales Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive/Sales Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're looking at Glassdoor to decide where to start or advanced your career - I hope you'll take the time to read about my experience at Yelp. I believe that my perspective is different than many you'll see here.

This review is not just about the Account Executive position because if you come to work at Yelp, it's not about the job you start with or the skills you start with. It's about the job you're willing to work for and the skills you push yourself to gain. I recently left Yelp after 3.5 years to pursue other interests but I'm so thankful for the company and the opportunities I was given - maybe my perspective will help you find the same.

Let's start with the most important part of working at Yelp - it's hard! I started right out of college in SF as an Account Executive in 2014. The job was exactly as described - tons of cold calling. In fact, the reality of sales is if you're not on the phone you're not advancing your career. Anyway - I digress. I was 6 months in and I hated it. In fact, you could probably look at some of the other glass door reviews and see exactly how I felt. But here's the thing - unlike many of the people I worked with. I decided to take the challenge head on and see what I could make of it.

I started focusing on what I could learn and let me tell you something. This job has more opportunities to learn pivotal skills than any entry level job I've come across. Your communication is pushed all the time, your ability to handle rejection and persevere is so key that it becomes second nature.

For the next 9 months I focused on skill building. I became great at building relationships. I was pushed to constantly improve and learn and become an expert in countless fields. I was pushed to apply for leadership programs and held to a high standard - one I became accustomed to hitting.

After 1.5 years I was promoted to management. The opportunity of a life-time in my eyes. I was able to grow a team of individuals I cared for deeply and we pushed each other to better ourselves all the time. I was able to learn public speaking skills, I learned how to read data like a professional and my sales skills were pushed to grow at all times.

After about a year - another opportunity came about and I moved to Chicago where I worked with some of the best people I've meet. The culture and the work environment are top notch. The leaders from the top down are amazing to work with - plus the Office Head has a British Accent - always a plus!

This job is about opportunity. Opportunity isn't easy but it's worth it. If you want to push yourself and become the best version of yourself - come work for Yelp and see what you're capable of.

My perspective is different because I looked at the "negatives" as learning opportunities. The paths towards career advancement, the compensation and benefits, and the workplace culture made this a no brainer for me. No job is perfect but my life is undeniably better for my time at Yelp!

Cons

This job is not for everyone. There are a ton of calls involved and the job isn't going to change.

You need to push yourself. You need to have a great attitude. You need to outwork your peers. You need to be intrinsically motivated. If you're all of these things - this jobs for you.

Lack of diversity is a concern but up against other Tech peers Yelp is no worse. I would have loved to see more initiatives for diversity at the management level but from my understanding leadership acknowledges this and is working to see it improved!

Advice to Management

Always remember to believe in your people! It's what made me so successful at Yelp. So many of my managers believed in me I had no choice but to succeed.

"Upward Mobility Is There For The Taking..."

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is no better entry level sales job. You become an expert at cold calling and selling new business, skills that are extremely marketable as you grow your career.

The sales floor is electric and is unlike any other company in Chicago. Walking through the pit at Yelp is like getting hit with a wave of energy and enthusiasm. Reps are standing and fighting for deals, and it feels like a Wall Street trading floor,

There is a ton of advancement if you outwork your peers. Promotions are there for the taking. There are plenty of people who have gotten management jobs 1.5 years after graduating college.

And the people here are cool. Really cool. You'll make a ton of friends here that will last beyond your time at Yelp.

Cons

The chargeback system with full serve was frustrating but this was recently fixed with the transition to no-term contracts.

This job is demanding. It requires you to be on at all times and can be draining. You have to use your PTO and take vacations to avoid burnout.

The office experienced challenges during unprecedented growth in a 3 year period, we had some growing pains but overall things continue to improve as managers and reps become more experienced in their roles.

Advice to Management

Viva Yelp Chicago!

Showing 1,556 of 1,630 reviews