Yelp Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman
1,128 Ratings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Fully stocked kitchen, barista, amazing location in a really cool building" (in 152 reviews)

• "Work/Life Balance, Company Culture" (in 111 reviews)

Cons
  • "None of these business owners want to buy ads" (in 153 reviews)

• "Can be exhausting if you don't have a work/life balance (use the Gym subsidy)" (in 41 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"local sales manager"

Current Employee - Local Sales Manager in Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Local Sales Manager in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

supportive culture, quick career growth, amazing product, great benefits and corporate support.
    Honestly my time at Yelp has been unlike anywhere else. I was expecting another "sales" position but was pleasantly surprised to be imursed into a culture where my peers and managers honestly cared abot my growth and paved the way for my future. I was able to quickly move up the ladder and create a career under an amazing name. I've been here 4 years already and cant imagine ever leaving. The culture and what the company stands for are honestly some of the best I've seen.

Cons

I have honestly never had any complaints about the company minus your typical lulls you'll face at any job

Advice to Management

Keep being honest and working 1:1 with myself and reps to pave the path.

Yelp Response

14 Dec 2018 – People Operations at Yelp

Thanks for your response. It's wonderful to hear that you've received the support and development you need and deserve in your career at Yelp. We appreciate everything you do for the company and your... More

2. "A fun place to work"

Former Employee - Community Manager in Melbourne
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Melbourne

Pros

Great opportunities for career growth
    A supportive team even when you work remotely
    Yearly international trips

Cons

Working around 60 hours per week
    Under paid

3. "A foot on the ladder"

I worked at Yelp full-time

Pros

Got a foot in the door with tech and worked with some great people. Plenty of benefits and a great social side

Cons

The product is horrible. And insanely overpriced. While some good, senior staff were abismal. Regularly fed false information and a hugely creepy, cultish atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Be nicer, be more honest, lower your prices.

"Community Management and Marketing"

Current Employee - Community Manager
    Current Employee - Community Manager

Pros

The flexibility is amazing - most days I work offsite from lovely cafes. The hours are not fixed - just as long as you get things done.

Cons

Yelp is less structural compared to most companies. Though you still have your seniors supporting you, it's a very self-learning job.

"Amazing People, Incredibly Unhealthy Work Environment, HR Nightmare"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am writing this review 6 weeks after leaving Yelp and about 4 at my new company so I feel like I have had some time to digest, compare, and reflect on my experience.

THE GOOD:
    People - A pro and a con, we will get to that later. I have made some of my dearest friends and amazing mentors working there. Everyone is around the same age, has similar goals as you, and for the most part your peers encourage you to succeed.

Office- The office is beautiful and filled with snacks, beer and games. There's a barista there all day everyday and a great facilities team that keeps the office shiny.

Events - Again, pro and con. Drag queen lunch, happy hours, team outings, you name it. There were a ton of fun events that I know people who were not from the NYC area really benefited from since they got to meet new people and explore cool new spots around the city.

Training - Yelp offers a 2 month, extremely intensive training program that teaches you the ins and outs of sales. You learn to become a better communicator, have thicker skin, and set goals.

Cons

***IMPORTANT***
    Let the record stand that in September there was an attempted SHOOTING at Yelp in SF and NOT A SINGLE MESSAGE was sent out until 3PM three days later after employees were panicking/gossiping about it.

Our stock plunged nearly 30% in Nov. Business owners were talking about it on our calls and not a single person in management or leadership addressed it.

Buckle up, because there are many.

1. Culture- This company is ran like an elementary school or a dysfunctional summer camp. There is an ongoing joke about how we're surprised we don't have to raise our hands to use the restroom. I totally understand things like being mindful of breaks and your phone, but there have been times were I took my phone out to check on a family emergency and got publicly called out for it. The culture at Yelp is shoving it down your throat that you LOVE Yelp and you are SO LUCKY to be working at Yelp. Our monthly meetings would involve bashing other companies (ex., the head of the office mocked Google's walk out against sexual harassment) and avoiding obvious issues within the company. You are HIGHLY encouraged to attend happy hours frequently and majority of the well performing teams, such as the one I was on, go out multiple times a month. Most of it comes out of YOUR pocket and can fall on weekends and Friday nights. Successful managers at Yelp consider Yelp their life (date within the company, have only friends within the company, etc.) I know more about my managers sex life than I ever should.
    2. Job Itself - It's cold calling, you know that when you apply so that shouldn't really be a con, HOWEVER, it's how they approach cold calling. At exactly 8:30 you need to be at your desk ready to go. At exactly 12:00 everyone takes lunch (HR says you can take it anywhere between 11-2 but good luck trying to tell your manager that). They have no flex when it comes to a sales cycle. If it's the day before Christmas or the day before Memorial Day weekend they expect the same despite the obvious fact that sales globally decrease. Your managers get on your calls and feed you line for line what you should be saying. Essentially you are a puppet to your manager. It takes zero skill. (For reference, I was putting up 30k a month which is 10k higher than quota.) No matter how much you do in a day/month/week/etc. it isn't enough and even when you do well, no one is happy there, they just can't tell you that. I know several people who have won the most esteemed awards at Yelp and all HAVE QUIT. You're forced to stand and your desk and "bring the energy" like we're 12 year old cheerleaders. The "rewards" they give you for closing deals is hilarious. Sometimes it's things like "dare your manager to do a push up!" or "one free breakfast sandwich!" Again, elementary school. There is also nowhere to go up. You can either cold call, manage people who cold call, do higher volume cold calling, or pray to get into Mid Market/National. I quit the leadership development program because the mission of it is to teach you how to brainwash employees and use what they say against them. Why should managers be asking me questions like "Are you closer with your mom or your dad?" "How is your current relationship going?"
    3. Management - Possibly the worst part of this job. It's amazing how they haven't been sued yet because not only is management known for being incredibly unprofessional, but there is NO DIVERSITY. Every single director (in my time I've seen 8 different) is white. Every. Single. One. This is a company of 1200+ employees and you're telling me there isn't ONE POC you can promote? Managers are the same and they're all 23-25. They promote people into management extremely early and they are managers for training classes so you're forced to learn from someone who doesn't even know how to do their job. In addition, management is incredibly immature, power hungry and an overall mess. I went though 4 different managers, all equally problematic. One time there was a bad snowstorm and they were closing down Port Authority and suspending trains. I was told I should "stay at a friends house" or use my PTO if I wanted to leave. I wound up staying, it was extremely dangerous getting home and I didn't get back to my house until 2AM with work the next day. Another time I was in the bathroom with a stomachache for FIVE minutes (sorry TMI) and my manager texted me "Hey where are you?" I've been told by countless people in power that we should 'of course' take our LEGAL 10 minute breaks, but make sure we earned them. This has been said to me at the end of a week where I've closed 21k. Seems like I earned it. Oh, and one more thing, keep an eye on your managers and directors because they're sleeping with reps and doing obscene amounts of Adderall.
    4. The pay structure - Yelp went from contracts to non-term length commitment so the client can cancel anytime. You have no connection with your clients after you sign them up, and it's frowned upon to check in on them. Yelp pays you out as if they stayed signed on for 6 months so when they cancel (which they do because the product is outdated and doesn't actually work) you wind up owing the company back money. They tell you 20% of your sales needs to stay on for 3 months which seems easy but is not when they can stop and start at any time and you have no control.

Honestly, not the worst place to start for recent grads but check yourself and realize this is not a real job and other companies are laughing at us.

Advice to Management

1. Stop promoting only white people. It's incredibly obvious.
    2. Grow up -- flirting with your employees is embarrassing and unprofessional
    3. Take a good look at the morality of how you're running your company.
    4. Your trophy winners are quitting -- shouldn't that tell you something?
    5. Stop bullying people when they choose to go elsewhere. Don't tell me I'm 'giving up' or 'if you can't be successful/happy here, what makes you think you will be successful elsewhere?' or 'you're feeling negative because you surround yourself with negative people.' I brought a positive, professional attitude to work every day and it was a huge shock when I left. If you really can't see beyond your employees attempts at faking it until they make it, you shouldn't be in management. There are people at this company with anxiety, stomach issues, weight gain, etc. and no one changes a thing. I've seen doctors in NYC that have said people come to them with similar issues from Yelp. How do you not realize that isn't ok?

6. "Great company culture"

I worked at Yelp full-time

Pros

Amazing office environment, great company culture, overall great career growth

Cons

College-like environment but not necessarily always in a bad way

7. "Good work that they do"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

phenomenal services that are part of employment here at Yelp

Cons

Pay structure could use more work

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more then you currently do

8. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Yelp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Felt stressful at times, but rewarding

9. "Good company."

I worked at Yelp full-time

Pros

Young, energetic vibes, approachable manangers.

Cons

I don't have anything bad to say.

10. "Intense place to work at"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Yelp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and culture

Cons

Cold calling is not fun