Yelp Reviews

3.4
Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman
1,681 Ratings
Pros
  • "Fun culture, free food, good money(in 277 reviews)

• "Amazing culture and great people(in 199 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Uphill battle having to constantly convince business owners that Yelp is not this corrupt monster of a company(in 248 reviews)

• "All cold calls, lots of burnout(in 80 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 4.0

A fun place to work

Dec 12, 2016 - Community Manager in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great opportunities for career growth A supportive team even when you work remotely Yearly international trips

Cons

Working around 60 hours per week Under paid

2. 3.0

Ok

May 9, 2021 - Administrative Assistant in Melbourne
      Business Outlook

Pros

Had a great time and helped out.

Cons

I left to do further studies, no cons there.

3. 3.0

Account exectutive

Mar 14, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, free beverages and fully stocked kitchen. Team outings, room for growth. Good salary and benefits.

Cons

Stressful, sometimes they pair you with managers who arent a good fit

4. 4.0
      Current Employee

Community Management and Marketing

Dec 9, 2014 - Community Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

The flexibility is amazing - most days I work offsite from lovely cafes. The hours are not fixed - just as long as you get things done.

Cons

Yelp is less structural compared to most companies. Though you still have your seniors supporting you, it's a very self-learning job.

5. 2.0

A foot on the ladder

Jun 14, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Got a foot in the door with tech and worked with some great people. Plenty of benefits and a great social side

Cons

The product is horrible. And insanely overpriced. While some good, senior staff were abismal. Regularly fed false information and a hugely creepy, cultish atmosphere.

6. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

It's fine for the right person

Jul 24, 2021 - Account Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

- It's a good place to start your career, though I wouldn't strive for a long term career within Yelp. - The other reps are some of my closest friends

Cons

- Management is okay. My first manager was amazing, my second was a NIGHTMARE. I lost several deals because when I needed manager access for certain issues with accounts, her exact response would be "what do you want me to do about it?" She SUCKED. - You are worthless if you aren't closing deals. I mean...WORTHLESS. I would constantly have to remind myself that I'm worth so much more than this job almost on a daily basis. - A bit cult like. No one likes being there ,but the managers spend way too much time trying to convince employees the job doesn't suck. - base pay is not even livable. - Yelp wasn't transparent about the commission structure, so I'll put it here: you have to sell $12,000 in ads PER MONTH before you get commission. On top of that, you only make $130 off of $12,000 worth of sales. I hope this puts things in perspective.

5 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work with great WLB, supportive culture, interesting projects

Jul 6, 2021 - Product Designer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Design leadership is on point. The design org has reached a stable place where we're taking the lead on some initiatives and making progress in areas we used to fall behind industry-wise (such as feeling like design "has a seat at the table," helping determine product direction/vision, and having a strong/consistent design language). Overall company culture and WLB is great - depends on your team but afaik we support people who want to work really hard and progress in their careers. as well as those who want to focus on other areas of their lives and be a little more laid back at work. Overall, we get to solve meaningful problems for people around us and that's pretty awesome.

Cons

Some politics (to be expected in any tech company), middle management/leadership alignment issues on the product side that sometimes makes things take longer than they should. Engineers tend to be on the younger and newer side, which has its pros and cons. Org restructuring takes place every 6 months to a year (it's gotten less frequent now). The biggest con as a designer is that our company's profitability depends on ads. That often creates conflict with product on what we should or shouldn't be building, but on the flip side it makes for some really interesting, complex problems to solve.

8. 5.0

6 years at Yelp

Jun 4, 2021 - Senior Elite Account Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

You will meet the most compassionate, funny, and caring people and makes lifetime connections and friends. The job has clear cut expectations and gives you all the tools and training that you need to be successful. Anyone that works hard can succeed. I liked the AE role and never left it for 6 years. I like working with local businesses and helping them. I like how the commission structure clearly states how much money you can make. I struggled at first but after a few years I was making more money than all the people my age at a job where I could leave at 5:30 with no stress. I personally like structure and routine. I also like knowing exact metrics needed to succeed. If you are determined and work hard the sky is the limit for you. I stayed in the account executive role and was making six figures easily. I had the opportunity to be on the landing team in the Washington dc office. Personally I think the account executive role is the best job in the company.. The job changed my life.

Cons

The job is definitely challenging but that is every sales job. What makes this job special is that you will meet the most caring amazing people and I always felt excited to go into work every day. I will cherish the relationships I made here forever. Everyone supports one another and wants to help each other succeed.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Make an impact with a good work/life balance

Jul 14, 2021 - Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly culture, and the scope of your work will be pretty large. This doesn't mean you will be overworked though, because Yelp really values WLB and does not feel cutthroat. Great environment to learn and grow. Corporate strategy during COVID has been great.

Cons

Comp could be better, especially in high CoL cities like Van/Toronto. Prod/Eng seems understaffed especially when compared to competitors (Google/FB/etc.) but we are hiring a lot.

10. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

In this very competitive job market, find any other opportunity.

Jun 23, 2021 - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

There were some great people and this was a nice opportunity to get something on my resume post college without any experience.

Cons

Oh, where to begin. Salary is alright, not exactly competitive but becomes competitive if you stay there for 2 years+. The insane turnover rate was uninspiring, one day you'd walk in to a new teammate because, "Bob quit via email last night. Here's your new teammate Tom. Let's hit the phones!" During my tenure I witnessed people quit via text, walk out at lunch, leave notes on desks, and just not show up. The nonstop BLARING of America's Top 40 Pop Hits, I believe mentioned in several other reviews, is enough to make you never want to listen to music again. But it wasn't the next-level micromanaging, anxiety attacks, "sick beer kegs in the office", impractical daily metrics, or constant verbal abuse over the phone from business owners that really drove me out of there. One of my teammates and myself witnessed an incident where a teammate (who had previously had several 'incidences' that resulted in zero disciplinary action) said some incredibly vulgar things to my manager that created a very uncomfortable and hostile work environment. Once again, no disciplinary action, so the witnessing teammate and myself took the issue to HR. HR asked us to recap the entire scenario, vulgar words and all, which was uncomfortable for the two of us, but in the end it was his word against ours, and no disciplinary action was taken. My teammate quit the following day and myself not far behind her.

Yelp Response

Thank you for letting us know how things went during your time at Yelp. It's great to hear that you worked with some great folks and that Yelp was a great place to start a career after graduation. However, we're sorry to hear that your in-office experience wasn't exactly what you were hoping for. While the Yelp team now works from home, one of the best parts of our culture is that we take time to celebrate even the smallest of wins. When we worked in an office, that sometimes meant giving a high five to someone who just had a tough call, and other times it meant your team walking up to watch you hit the gong after you closed a deal! In a remote setting, we're doing all we can to foster a similar culture of celebration and team spirit. While this environment is exciting and inspiring for most, we understand it's not for everyone. We know that there is always room for improvement, and we continue to encourage and listen to the feedback of our employees so we can keep creating an environment that supports success, inclusion, and belonging for everyone.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 3,353 Reviews