Yelp Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Jeremy Stoppelman
1,009 Ratings

1,687 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is a fully stocked kitchen (but you'll get sick of that food quickly)" (in 94 reviews)

• "Work/life Balance - Tell me another company in NYC that actually wants you to leave at 5:30pm and take PTO to enjoy your life" (in 92 reviews)

Cons
  • "The business owners account is not even willing to point out unique traffic to" (in 132 reviews)

• "Can be exhausting if you don't have a work/life balance (use the Gym subsidy)" (in 37 reviews)

1. "A fun place to work"

Former Employee - Community Manager in Melbourne
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Melbourne

Pros

Great opportunities for career growth
    A supportive team even when you work remotely
    Yearly international trips

Cons

Working around 60 hours per week
    Under paid

2. "A foot on the ladder"

I worked at Yelp full-time

Pros

Got a foot in the door with tech and worked with some great people. Plenty of benefits and a great social side

Cons

The product is horrible. And insanely overpriced. While some good, senior staff were abismal. Regularly fed false information and a hugely creepy, cultish atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Be nicer, be more honest, lower your prices.

"Community Management and Marketing"

Current Employee - Community Manager
    Current Employee - Community Manager

Pros

The flexibility is amazing - most days I work offsite from lovely cafes. The hours are not fixed - just as long as you get things done.

Cons

Yelp is less structural compared to most companies. Though you still have your seniors supporting you, it's a very self-learning job.

"Not bad"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty laid back culture, easy to coast if that's your thing.

The organization is very inclusive. Above average number of non-male engineers, great support for parents, LGBT, women, etc. I really like it. This includes training for managers and people in leadership roles.

Engineers are empowered to improve systems. If you're a self starter, you'll do well here.

Tonnes of peer learning opportunities, particularly for young / inexperienced managers.

Enough scale to be interesting but enough money to force creativity :).

VPs are generally amazing human beings, especially Wing Yung and Sam Eaton, who are some of the nicest senior leadership I've had the opportunity of working with.

Cons

Yelp's benefits are okay but pretty meagre (outside of healthcare) compared to much of their competition. For example, their 401K match is $1,000 (although recently they increased it to $3,000 once you've been here over a year) - which pales in comparison to Google, Facebook and others.

Yelp also only offers 15 days of PTO per year which increases to 18 after 2 years and 20 after 4 years. This is pretty mediocre - Facebook offers a standard 21 and many other companies offer unlimited discretionary time off which is less burdensome (particularly since you don't need to accrue it before you can spend it).

Sick time is capped to 5 days a year. After this, if you don't have a nice manager, you start eating into your PTO. This means that people don't take sick time when they often should.

Their gym/wellness allowance is lower than many other tech companies.

No catered lunches aside from Hackathon (which happens 3 times a year). This forces you to go explore, which is fun but expensive - effectively missing a $3-5K perk that other tech companies offered. Plus, it's pretty inefficient to leave the office in search of food.

Yelp is very much a mature, stable company with a significant amount of tech debt and legacy code. This offers a lot of scope for improvement but also means that new features take longer to release than they might at a smaller, more nimble organization.

Very "young" engineering team. People have a lot of energy but this often results in people building new systems instead of adopting existing solutions that are standard in industry.

Related, there's no levelling structure and opportunities for career growth are pretty vague. Yes, you'll take on responsibility but short of getting the tech lead badge or becoming a manager, you'll be a software engineer forever.

A lot of the engineering tooling is fairly antiquated and you have to be on the VPN to do anything useful. It took months and months to get Slack after years of using IRC. We use ReviewBoard which just about does the job but could be replaced by many more modern alternatives.

I'm not seeing a lot of stock price growth, which makes compensation even less great.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at benefits - particularly PTO - and amend it to match the market. Offer some kind of career ladder.

5. "Great Company"

I worked at Yelp full-time

Pros

Great beginning job. Cool people to work with. Good training program.

Cons

Pay is low. People come and go.

"Perspective is Everything"

Former Employee - Account Executive/Sales Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Account Executive/Sales Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're looking at Glassdoor to decide where to start or advanced your career - I hope you'll take the time to read about my experience at Yelp. I believe that my perspective is different than many you'll see here.

This review is not just about the Account Executive position because if you come to work at Yelp, it's not about the job you start with or the skills you start with. It's about the job you're willing to work for and the skills you push yourself to gain. I recently left Yelp after 3.5 years to pursue other interests but I'm so thankful for the company and the opportunities I was given - maybe my perspective will help you find the same.

Let's start with the most important part of working at Yelp - it's hard! I started right out of college in SF as an Account Executive in 2014. The job was exactly as described - tons of cold calling. In fact, the reality of sales is if you're not on the phone you're not advancing your career. Anyway - I digress. I was 6 months in and I hated it. In fact, you could probably look at some of the other glass door reviews and see exactly how I felt. But here's the thing - unlike many of the people I worked with. I decided to take the challenge head on and see what I could make of it.

I started focusing on what I could learn and let me tell you something. This job has more opportunities to learn pivotal skills than any entry level job I've come across. Your communication is pushed all the time, your ability to handle rejection and persevere is so key that it becomes second nature.

For the next 9 months I focused on skill building. I became great at building relationships. I was pushed to constantly improve and learn and become an expert in countless fields. I was pushed to apply for leadership programs and held to a high standard - one I became accustomed to hitting.

After 1.5 years I was promoted to management. The opportunity of a life-time in my eyes. I was able to grow a team of individuals I cared for deeply and we pushed each other to better ourselves all the time. I was able to learn public speaking skills, I learned how to read data like a professional and my sales skills were pushed to grow at all times.

After about a year - another opportunity came about and I moved to Chicago where I worked with some of the best people I've meet. The culture and the work environment are top notch. The leaders from the top down are amazing to work with - plus the Office Head has a British Accent - always a plus!

This job is about opportunity. Opportunity isn't easy but it's worth it. If you want to push yourself and become the best version of yourself - come work for Yelp and see what you're capable of.

My perspective is different because I looked at the "negatives" as learning opportunities. The paths towards career advancement, the compensation and benefits, and the workplace culture made this a no brainer for me. No job is perfect but my life is undeniably better for my time at Yelp!

Cons

This job is not for everyone. There are a ton of calls involved and the job isn't going to change.

You need to push yourself. You need to have a great attitude. You need to outwork your peers. You need to be intrinsically motivated. If you're all of these things - this jobs for you.

Lack of diversity is a concern but up against other Tech peers Yelp is no worse. I would have loved to see more initiatives for diversity at the management level but from my understanding leadership acknowledges this and is working to see it improved!

Advice to Management

Always remember to believe in your people! It's what made me so successful at Yelp. So many of my managers believed in me I had no choice but to succeed.

7. "Great Opportunity to Grow as an Individual"

I worked at Yelp full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere (free food, good benefits)
    Support network (for the very difficult work)

Cons

Very difficult and challenging output expectatons

Advice to Management

Motivate to close more not focus on output as much

8. "Account Executive"

I have been working at Yelp full-time

Pros

Great culture and great head sales trainer

Cons

Tough position to learn in two months

Advice to Management

give more feed back and one on ones with managers

9. "Not bad first job"

Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Yelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, nice office, good culture.

Cons

No complaints about the job.

10. "5 stars for Yelp"

Current Employee - Senior Elite Account Director (II) in Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Elite Account Director (II) in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I have been working at Yelp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

stocks
    coworkers
    work environment
    flexibility with schedule
    managers/directors want to help you grow

Cons

high quotas when deal sizes are very low, as our comp structure has changed - our quotas should as well

Showing 1,687 of 1,766 reviews