lululemon Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

lululemon CEO Laurent Potdevin
Laurent Potdevin

1,344 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Amazing work environment with great work/life balance" (in 80 reviews)

• "Another great aspect about working at lululemon is that you get free workout classes" (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work / life balance that they rave about is hard" (in 66 reviews)

• "full-time hours are considered anything about 24 hours per week which is really part-time anywhere else" (in 45 reviews)

1. "Great casual job"

Current Employee - Educator in Sydney
    Current Employee - Educator in Sydney

I have been working at lululemon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great product so easy to talk about
    Free fitness classes Each week
    Good crew of staff
    Development
    Work life balance

Cons

It is a little awkward fitting tights for people sometimes and dealing with unfriendly customers or guests as they are called

2. "Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

I worked at lululemon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent company culture and development opportunities

Cons

Lacking 360 reviews for upper management often causing difficult situations when the wrong people are in the wrong role

Advice to Management

360 reviews for the leadership team. Maintain company culture

3. "Educator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

I worked at lululemon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Engaging place to work. Pay was good. I felt like I was part of the team and everyone was positive. Meetings kept everyone on the same page

Cons

They pushed you too hard to work outside of working hours and go to community events. They often tell you that they will listen to your ideas but they actually won't when it comes down to it.

Advice to Management

Understand that the community aspect of the job is unpaid and that people should be encouraged to do it rather than forced or threatened. Often you do not understand what is going on in people's lives and think everyone has the same agenda.

4. "overall great company to work for"

Current Employee - Key Leader in Sydney
    Current Employee - Key Leader in Sydney

I have been working at lululemon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- supports you with your goals outside of Lululemon.
    - team targets, no individual pressure or putting team members against each other.
    - fun working environment.
    - gym classes paid for.

Cons

- takes a long time to move up in the company sometimes no transparency and you feel like your led on waiting to be moved up in the company for a long time but it never happens.

"Like a roller coaster."

Former Employee - Key Leader in Adelaide
    Former Employee - Key Leader in Adelaide

I worked at lululemon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of in house training, personal development, they pay for your workouts and you work with really great people.
    The actual job itself isn't hard but there is more too it (see cons)

Cons

you kind of have to be a certain type of person to work here. As I matured within the company i realised that a lot of people and myself were somewhat forced into these "development opportunities" I lost track of the amount of times I had to council someone through their tears after a manager "coached them". In other companies it would be called bullying and harrasssment...

You have to do so much free work. And yes, it's my choice, however, is it? Because I feel like if the choice I made was to not volunteer my time it was frowned upon and I wasn't a team player.

Also, the workouts were monitored and you got issued warnings if you didn't workout or went to the same place twice.

They push community yet because you're meant to "spread you're love" no one actually benefits, not the studios the employees or lululemon.

Plus, the quality has gone down and prices have gone up over my years. Where's the logic there?

Advice to Management

You're managers rely on burning people out. I get that that's not what they're trying to do but that's what happens. To get stuff done they exhaust overworked, underappreciated "pipeline" employees and they rely on the initial OOMPH of casuals, oomph for volunteering slowly fades and they're either coached out or flat our quit.

Also, stick to a smaller range in clothing. I have no idea why there was the huge amount of product coming through our doors, I mean a casual t shirt in 7 styles and colours which are just slightly different? Tennis dresses? Stick with what you're good at and thrive

6. "Key Leader"

I worked at lululemon (Less than a year)

Pros

Great personal development resources and culture

Cons

Could be better salaried. More transparency in senior leadership team.

7. "To serious for a retail job"

I worked at lululemon part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Staff discount - although if you work 5 days a week but your hours don't equal to over 25 hours a week you get 40% compared to others who get 60% even though you were still there 5 days a week
    - free fitness classes - don't pay for memberships though and there is a limit to how many classes you can go to
    - easy job
    - goal setting

Cons

- terrible management
    - everyone is always to serious when it's just retail
    - expected to do work outside of work time when its unpaid
    - frowned upon if you can't go exercise with co workers outside of work hours
    - everyone was unhappy and it showed
    - staff not good at customer service and always messing up simple things leaving the people who were good at their job to deal with customer complaints and fixing mistakes
    - everyone made out like it was such a hard job when really it's just selling clothes - meaning everything wasn't done properly and people had to system to their work
    - people form cliques within stores and leave others out - rude environment from specific staff members who excluded others in the team which showed externally as well
    - always saying there's room for growth however when you ask for it the opportunities are only
    Given to favourite staff members
    - high turnover of staff. Especially management, because no one loves there job so they all move to other companies
    - no penalty rates on weekends and only time and a half on public holidays even though hourly pay is the same as other companies who give penalties (they say they pay a higher hourly rate but they don't)

Advice to Management

- Hire managers who know what they are doing
    - don't take life so seriously, lay back on your expectations from people to be specifically what you want and you'll have a fun happy team
    - don't play favourites and always decline opportunities for growth for some staff but give heaps of opportunities to other staff, it's unfair
    - pay staff properly and pay correct public holiday rates

"Seasonal Educator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

I worked at lululemon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great environment, positive people

Cons

what is shown to the outside is really different then internal operations
     internally people are fake

9. "Major job love every day"

I have been working at lululemon full-time

Pros

People and leadership development culture

Cons

Took a pay cut to work here and in return got a life I love

Advice to Management

Compensate To represent what your awesome people are worth and the value they add to the business.

"lulu is a lemon"

Former Employee - Key Leader in Camberwell, Victoria
    Former Employee - Key Leader in Camberwell, Victoria

I worked at lululemon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great employee discount, and your fitness classes are paid for.

Cons

To be honest, this company is breaking every single discrimination law in the book. They expect you to show up early and work late without being compensated. They berate you and belittle you under the guise of "feedback," which is basically an umbrella term to deguise harrassment. The Landmark Forum was mandatory. My manager at the time wouldn't even promote me because I told her that I wouldn't take the forum. I told her that it made me feel uncomfortable, and she told me that I wasn't "committed" to the job. She also told me that having private thoughts that I didn't voice outloud were considered to be "gossip" and against company policy.

I tried taking my concerns to the next up in command, but I was rebuffed completely. She told me that I shouldn't be talking to her about it, and to deal with my problems on my own.

I don't know what the CEO is doing, but he doesn't seem interested in improving company morale or reducing turnover, because it is extremely high.

The people that last in the company are the people who surrender completely, mind, body and soul. They give up their free will and dedicate their entire lives, around the clock, to doing whatever they are told and don't ask for anything in return. This company will destroy you if you're not careful.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees, and compensate them for all of their extra hours! This is a business, not a treehouse club. A great employee discount does not compensate for bullying, harrassment and discrimination.

Showing 1,344 of 1,418 reviews