Atlassian Interview Questions

Updated 31 Jul 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 685 of over 685 interviews

Recruiter16%
Employee Referral12%
HardAverageEasy

Atlassian

Application

I interviewed at Atlassian

Interview

First call was basic questions. The went in details about the job and what they are looking for. Asked questions about your background. The recruiter asked if knew any programming languages. What technologies I have used for troubleshooting network issues and monitoring.

Interview Questions
  • Tell what tools you tools you use for troubleshooting
    1 Answer

Atlassian

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Atlassian

Interview

It was online coding round. Three questions were asked. it was on HackerRank platform. After the first coding was over the company withdrew from the process saying that they are not hiring anyone this year.

Interview Questions
  • Don't remember exact questions.But they were based on arrays, DP and backtracking.

Atlassian

Application

I interviewed at Atlassian in Apr 2021

Interview

This was easily one of the better candidate pipelines I've gone through. Everyone, from the recruiters to the interviewers, was really nice and approachable. Special shout out to the recruiter who helped me reschedule the virtual onsite after a week of family illness. Here were the interview steps: 1. Phone screen with a recruiter. Basic behavioral and cultural stuff. 2. Technical Screener with an engineer. This was a HackerRank problem. I don't have a math or CS background, so I had to spend a bit of time with the interviewer to make sure that I understood the problem. Once I had all the terms correctly defined, it was a pretty straightforward task. We then chatted briefly about the space and time complexity of my solution. 3. Prep call with a recruiter. This was a call with a different recruiter, and was focused on preparing for the virtual onsite. I guess technically this wasn't an interview round, but still helpful to know about. 4. Virtual Onsite. This was a 4.5 hour process. The length definitely made it a bit of a gauntlet, but the interviewers were so great that I wasn't totally wiped by the end of the process. I go into more detail on this step below. 5. Offer. Within 2 business days, the recruiter reached out and extended an offer. Like the rest of the process, it was very punctual and respectful. They don’t want to waste anyone’s time, which shows. Overall, the entire process was awesome. They care about candidates, which was clear throughout the pipeline. There were 5 rounds during the virtual onsite (with a few breaks thrown in): Values, Data Structures, Code Design, Hiring Manager, and Systems Design Values: Values are super important to Atlassian, so make sure you read up on them before hand. Otherwise, normal (albeit very important) behavioral questions. The interviewer did ask a good amount of follow up questions, so be prepared to dive into your answers a bit. Data Structure round: This was a live-coding exercise. Given the name of the round, I was expecting something much more Computer Science-y. I was pleasantly surprised to find that, rather than something like implementing a B-Tree from scratch, the round was focused on dealing with reasonably complex, reasonably realistic data structures. (Hashes, arrays, nested keys, etc). After solving the problem, the interviewers threw in additional complications/requirements. This happened 3 times. I ran out of time building out the final requirement, but was able to walk through the changes I would have made. That seemed to be sufficient for the interviewers. Coding Design round: This was another live-coding exercise. The challenge was to implement an MVP version of a common web API feature. I was asked to test the solution as well. This was probably my weakest round. I got clever with a implementation detail and it, of course, bit me in the butt while writing tests. Like all coding challenges, it’s super important to verbalize your thought process. As sub-optimally as I performed in this round, it would have been a million times worse if I just didn’t talk while thinking through the process. Hiring Manager round: Again, a round with important but routine behavioral questions. The STAR method will get you pretty far here. The interviewer also left me a ton of time to ask my own questions. I walked away from this round with a pretty solid understanding of the company and team culture. System Design round: This was a very by-the-book design round. We used the whiteboard feature of HackerRank. That being said, it was mostly conversational. Once we had a more-or-less functioning design, we chatted tradeoffs. If you have any amount of Distributed Systems experience, or if you've studied for System Design interviews at all, you'll know what to do.

Interview Questions
30 people found this interview helpful

Atlassian

Application

I interviewed at Atlassian

Interview

Very positive interview experience. Great interviewers, questions were fair, recruiter was very communicative. Process took about 2 weeks. Preparation materials for what to expect for each interview were provided, which I found helpful.

Interview Questions
  • Technical questions were practical, heavy emphasis on culture fit

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Atlassian (Austin, TX) in Jul 2021

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter with Atlassian about the job opening. We did an initial phone screening which lasted one hour. I then did a technical interview which lasted around 45 minutes. The technical questions were from a list and they were all pretty straightforward. They asked what commands to run when troubleshooting different issues related to the networking and application layer. I then did a culture interview which was 1 hour. They asked some questions such as how I managed conflict and how I have managed customer issues in the past. They also seemed interested in what questions I had about the company culture. I lastly had a block of 4 interviews that were around 1 hour each: the 5th interview was another technical interview. Many of the questions were the same as in the first technical interview. They asked more follow up questions and gave some scenarios and asked me about my thought process to troubleshoot. There was no hands-on troubleshooting, it was all question and answer like before. The 6th interview was another culture interview. All of the interviewers wanted the most superlative example that has come up in my career for each question. For example, "What's the biggest mistake you made in a role?" "What's the most critical feedback you ever received?" "What's the worst experience you ever had in a role?" They want very specific details. Before the final 4 interviews, they also sent a Ted Talk on vulnerability and told me I should focus on being vulnerable during the interview. The 6th and 7th interviews were with hiring managers. One manager I spoke with had a list of questions like the other interviewers. They wanted to know how the support org runs at my current company. They also asked me how I would handle being resented by other employees, as I would be hired into the senior role over multiple tenured employees. What strategies would I use to address that? Over the course of the interviews, it seemed like there is tension between the Select Support team and the Enterprise Support team. Opportunities to advance might not be available to the Select Support team. In the 7th interview, it felt like they were not invested at all. They did not share any feedback about my answers, and asked if I had questions. I asked several questions about the structure of the support team and appreciated the time, but it felt like there was no connection and I suspect they already knew they would not be extending an offer. I received an email one week later stating that they were going in another direction. In total, I had 7 interviews and 2 or 3 additional calls with the recruiter throughout the process. This was a huge time investment over multiple weeks. If I had gotten to talk with a manager earlier in the recruitment process, then I think we could have cut to the chase more quickly. Of all the support engineers I talked to throughout the process, they were all straight white men without a college education. It had a very conservative and Pro-Trump feel to it. If you do not fit into that demographic, then you will probably have a lot of forces working against hiring you.

Interview Questions
  • What's the most critical feedback you ever received from someone at work?
  • What is one example where you went above and beyond expectations to support a customer?
  • What is a foreign key?
  • How do you troubleshoot a connection issue? How do you run telnet and what's the difference between ping?
  • How would you troubleshoot a hang issue in a Java application?
  • What utilities do you use to collect stack traces for a Java process? How do you analyze jstack output?
  • How do you list the processes on a Linux machine and also on a Windows machine?
  • How do you troubleshoot a "no route to host" error?
  • How do you diagnose a network issue? How do you run tcpdump and analyze the result?
2 people found this interview helpful

Atlassian

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Atlassian

Interview

In first discussion with HR basic technical questions were asked. Then a technical interview and next manager round. Interview process was quite good and interviewers were very professional and to the point questions were asked. During technical discussion questions were asked from what mentioned on JD, also discussion in manger round happened as mentioned on atlassian interview process page. Unfortunately i was not able to convince to managers i can be fit for this role. But overall interview experience was excellent. I learnt what reputed companies expects and see in candidate. I also realized in which area i need to improve if i want to work with companies like atlassian.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Atlassian

Application

I interviewed at Atlassian

Interview

Great and awesome and it is easy to comprehend. I am not sure yet but while experiencing the interviewers were very welcoming and they offer me food in their pantry free of charge. Thank you for allowing me to survey and participate.

Interview Questions
  • How many are you in your previous team.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Atlassian (Bangalore)

Interview

I was contacted by a HR for a Software Engineer GraphQL role. Initial round was a screening with HR to understand my experience better and explained the role, company & other details. Second round was a problem solving round zoom call. I was given a problem statement to develop a GraphQL query using Apollo Server. I developed the query and executed it from GraphQL playground it produced result perfectly. There were issues with the query wasn't working fine I debugged and fixed it within the given time. The feedback that I have received from HR is that I did lot of mistakes during coding & debugging. Worst part is they are not looking at the final result, is it properly developed. Good companies often loose good candidates because of their interviewers.

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Adelaide

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at Atlassian (Adelaide) in Jul 2021

Interview

The vacancy was in Ecosystem security team. I applied via LinkedIn. Got a call from the recruiter who briefed me about the process and the 5 rounds. First round was an interview with the hiring manager over Zoom. This was to be a 45 min round. In the interview the hiring manager takes first 15 min talking about the security team stucture and the role and then goes silent. So I offer to talk about myself (which is the point of the interview, I think). I talk about my most recent experience and ask the interviewer to let me know if I should go further back. They ask no question about my experience and switch to the technical part of the interview. They start with a very generic question of what is XSS. I explain the attack, types, impact and remediation. They ask if the impact changes if there is an API in the backend. They also ask if I have done Pentesting, Threat Modelling and Code Review. To which I answer no, yes and yes. Interestingly the job description on LinkedIn does not list any of these skills and is very vague. Then they switch to the next question of what my ideal job looks like. Next they ask if I have any questions. And the interview ends in about 35 min after I ask 2 quick ones. Then after a couple of days I get an email that they are not inclined. If felt like the interviewer had already decided they are not going to hire me and was forced to attend the interview. They were quite uninterested in testing my skills or hearing about my experiences. It's a shame that for the feedback I was told that I did not fulfill the technical requirements. As in I had not done Pentesting and my answers were high level. I was quite disappointed to hear that. Asked the recruiter to please add Pentesting experience in the job requirement. I checked the JD on LinkedIn after a few days and they had not updated it. Which reminds me that the hiring manager also said in the interview it is very hard to hire in Australia. Now I know why. I do not understand why I would be rejected on technical grounds in a non technical (screening) round based on skills that are not required for the job. Also when you ask a very open ended and simple question why would you expect the answers to be very in-depth. Why not ask a few more questions to understand the level of experties. The recruiter did a great job and the process is otherwise quite streamlined. But the hiring manager round was quite a disappointment.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore

Application

I interviewed at Atlassian (Singapore)

Interview

Currently there are many open positions for this role. My interview was scheduled with a senior employee but the interview was taken by an interviewer who was basically an entry level employee in the company who just asked me technical questions from a list and also noted down my answers. As an engineer with 9 years of experience in the industry, I never had to face such a ridiculous thing before. When you are interviewing for the position of senior support engineer, an entry level support engineer is not the best person to judge the candidates skills and ability to be a part of the team. Never expected this kind of interview experience by a big brand like Atlassian.

Interview Questions
  • Questions were read out from a list back to back for one hour.
Viewing 1 - 10 of 685 Interviews