Atlassian Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.7
Atlassian Co-Founders Scott Farquhar & Mike Cannon-Brookes
Scott Farquhar & Mike Cannon-Brookes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance is great but we still get stuff done" (in 24 reviews)

• "This company moves FAST - which keeps you on your toes and keeps you learning from some extremely smart people" (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "Also, company has a great work-life balance, for most employees - but expect the borders between work & life to blur" (in 7 reviews)

• "Have struggled with growing pains once they passed 2000 people and added their fourth large office" (in 12 reviews)

"Incredible life-changing experience"

Former Employee - Software Development Manager in Sydney
    Former Employee - Software Development Manager in Sydney

I worked at Atlassian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This place, particularly in Australia, is like no other. Scott’s personal mission seems to be to ensure that your experience with Atlassian is so great that everything else is ruined by comparison. I disagree. The experience at Atlassian was so good that I want to take some of that magic and sprinkle it over all future roles. I’m not saying it was perfect, it wasn’t, but in some ways that was also part of its magic. It’s owned its mistakes and empowered everyone within to do the same. Yes, the perks are amazing (particularly the equity), but beyond the free food and booze, the family events, the incredible experience team, the biggest perk by far is the values. Positive cultural values have to be driven from the very top and Scott and Mike embody these. There is nothing disingenuous about them and everything that the company does is driven by them. It’s life changing. Also they’re not afraid to be on the right side of the argument on progressive social good. When they shon a rainbow over 341 George St during the postal survey was probably the proudest I’ve ever felt to be part of something truly wonderful. And Atlassian are.

Cons

They’ve struggled with scale as any company would with the massive growth like they have had. The IPO led to a huge loss of key talent which exacerbated some of those issues. However, transparency and openness meant that we all knew what was happening, and everyone was empowered to keep the ship afloat.

It took them too long to realise that people in leadership roles need to be good managers, not necessarily great coders, when they got to 2000 employees, and it wasn’t until I left that they even began to put in the frameworks necessary for leaders to properly lead.

After a certain point there’s a career wall with nowhere left to go, I’d still be there now if you didn’t need to be there for a decade, or American, to get to the next level. There’s too much reliance on SF being the boilerplate of how to do things, and it’s lacking empathy for local culture and people based in Sydney.

Last thing is advice to grads: drop the sense of entitlement. You don’t realise how amazing this place is.

Advice to Management

Grow from within, you have some incredible people in those beautiful buildings that could be trusted to do more. Be careful that the amazing culture scales, it was beginning to show the signs of fracture when I was going. Keep leaders accountable not just for delivery but for morale. The founders are less visible these days but the CTO is even less so.

2. "Great."

I worked at Atlassian full-time

Pros

Culture. Work-life balance. Smart colleagues.

Cons

Work can be dry at times.

"Senioer Developer"

Pros

Nice culture, great engineers to work with

Cons

Could use better management in general

"Worst company i ever worked because middle manament is jerk"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Sydney
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Sydney

I worked at Atlassian full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great seniors

perks

salary

good training

nice and friendly colleauges

Cons

team leads are jerks. Aint do anything but sit there. Micro managing people so much even on Stride, email, verbal... If you choose a wrong word, it can be in your one on one. Sometimes, my team lead wanted to look into my email box to see if i filtered emails according to its content to check if im self-organised. I completed average 8-10 story points per sprint and he said i was slow.

Advice to Management

Mike and Scott should re-structure your middle management. They aint worth your money

"Amazing Place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Sydney
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Interesting tech problem
    - Personal satisfaction from impactful work
    - Lots of opportunity for career growth
    - Growing fast with lots of challenges to sink your teeth into
    - Great culture
    - Compensation

Cons

- Pretty happy overall with the place

"Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No politics, no BS. Great people to work with. Everyone wants to help and contribute. Work life balance is great but we still get stuff done. The work is interesting and challenging. I'm not sure I could work anywhere else.

Cons

Travel between the US and Sydney can be a pain if your role requires it often.

Advice to Management

Keep being open and transparent.

"Bad blood"

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Competitive salary
    - Good perk
    - Plenty of improvements to be made
    - Some amusing bugs, bad designs

Cons

- Hierarchical culture, many people expect unearned respect. Things can be hard if you do not like to play along.
    - Very political, little tolerant for individual who just want to get stuffs done.
    - Lazy and dishonest senior members with little respect for intellectual or technical solutions and people who provide 'em.
    - Corrupted managements, using uninformed new people as scape goat and cut loose the victim afterward.
    - So many buzz words, nice sounding phrases that are being chained without actually understanding of its meaning.
    - Very low standard in technical solution or humility.
    - No actual career path, unless you want to be a fraud.
    - Most training are waste of time, they show how little understanding and out right pretentious culture in a tech company.
    - No way to keeps your integrity working in this company in long term. As management is intolerant of such.

Advice to Management

Try to understand what you say. Think about it.

"Slow but stable"

Current Employee - Software Developer in North Sydney
    Current Employee - Software Developer in North Sydney

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You want to explore Australia top tier tech company.
    Free snacks and drinks and ice creams if you don't mind gaining weight.
    Business seems to be steady even when the environment seems to be more toxic everyday.

Cons

The inside might not quite be what you are expecting. Hard working is not rewarding here, in most cases I know it rather quite punishing.

Try not to do anything that upset people that out rank you, instead try to provide them with the solution ready and demo as easy as it could be, the credit is their, but you'll be able to avoid pain in the future and hopefully switch team when you are too sick with the status quote of current team.

It's a mediocre nine to five job, don't bring your laptop home and do not work extra hours. After a few years I felt it was extremely unethical of me to encourage junior developers to contribute even if they love to, nothing good will come of it. Instead learning from the bad pattern here and invest best practice in your own project to prepare for your future job.

Performance review and pay rises are often incomprehensible. Due to the level of education, worthwhile contributions are ignored in favor of political goals in order to maintain benefits for certain people.

"Uninspiring"

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good facilities.
    You might be able to meet a few cool persons.

Cons

Extremely low work ethic.
    Very political environment.
    Lack of technical expertise.
    No real career path.
    Anti -productive hierarchical.
    Unfair compensations and promotions, largely depend on political rather than contributions.
    Lazy and incompetent leadership and management.
    Very damaging to personal developments, in both competency and humility.

"The art of chicanery"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sydney
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sydney

I worked at Atlassian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting outlook, keeps growing fast regardless the actual quality of the inside.

Cons

In 10 years of my career as a software engineer this is the first company I consider a fraud.
    Every aspect of the management I have observed at every point when I worked here yielded the same results.
    Gotta give them credit though for the good masquerade they put up.

If you pay attention you will see a most people talk a lot, yet no effort spent and nothing got done after a while. I felt funny any time anyone says they'd fix/contribute something in some public lib that they are using. Given they do not know how it works, I highly doubt they even know basic programming, I did take a leap of faith, put out my best efforts while wait and watch though. Drawing into this kind of discussions to me is a kind of insulting, I am a developer, not a cheap actor.

Same behavior on PM or higher level of management, they act like they care, yet put up no effort, and of course no result after years. Changes in middle management are also conveniently happens. Gossiping seems to be the area high paid people were focusing on while i was there.

Advice to Management

Do not waste people time if you do not care, do not ask if you have no intention of learning or pursuing or put up your effort on resolving the issues. Every capable person already knew that you are smart, keep your intelligence to yourself.