Atlassian Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 15 Oct 2019

4.3
Atlassian CEO Scott Farquhar & Mike Cannon-Brookes
Scott Farquhar & Mike Cannon-Brookes
Pros
  • "The work life balance is whatever you want it to be(in 51 reviews)

• "Great tech culture with smart people all around where I learnt a lot from(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • "Power center shifted to San Francisco even when head office is in Sydney(in 21 reviews)

• "There are certainly growing pains because we're growing so fast(in 18 reviews)

1. "It's a good company!!"

Current Employee - Channel Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Atlassian full-time for less than a year

Pros

Play as a Team- Everyone helps each other.

Cons

There is a bunch of acronyms and pieces of information in our company.

Advice to Management

Thanks for what you have done for us.

Atlassian2019-10-15
  2. "Great company, great culture and great people!"

Current Employee - Architect in Sydney

I have been working at Atlassian full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Friendly culture, ethical culture, fun!

Cons

Benefits and salaries could be improved, doesn’t always feel like everyone is working on the same mission.

Atlassian2019-09-21
  3. "It's ok"

Current Employee - Android Developer in Sydney

I have been working at Atlassian full-time for more than a year

Pros

work live balance is great

Cons

salary is low, super hard to bet promotion, your growth is very low

Advice to Management

This company is all about politics, especially when we talk about salary and promotions.

Atlassian2019-09-30

"In fact it's against its own values"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Atlassian full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work/life balance. Nobody demands anything in terms of performance

Cons

Management is interested in a cheap workforce, doesn't want to invest in people. Most of the menagement roles ocupied by poor ex-engineers.

Advice to Management

Encourage high quality contributions by promotions/money. Support effective engineers instead of those who pretend they are working by creating useless pages.

Atlassian2019-09-24
  5. "Best place I’ve ever worked"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Sydney

I have been working at Atlassian full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people, culture, values, work environment, perks, flexibility. I still pinch myself 2+ years in. It’s a really amazing, supportive place to work

Cons

It’s not perfect, but Atlassian has heart and that balances out any imperfections.

Atlassian2019-09-05
  6. "A refreshing change from corporate workplaces"

Current Employee - Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Atlassian full-time for less than a year

Pros

Salary Stock Work life balance Colleagues

Cons

I'll add some when I find them

Advice to Management

I loved the amount of documentation that was available to me upon arriving. It really helps with my ability to learn. Keep everything public!

Atlassian2019-09-02
  7. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Atlassian full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work-life balance. Good work-learning culture. Great people. Room for career growth. Good pay. Good benefits. Relaxed schedule, come in at 11? 7? Remote? Usually quite open with everything. Clear direction at high levels.

Cons

HR is quite closed with their decisions and decision making. Company doesn't always have clear direction on the micro level.

Advice to Management

Be more open with changes and include the people you've hired. They were hired for a reason. Make sure teams know which direction they are heading and what their plan is for getting there. Most teams only do this for a quarter or two, they need to think longer term.

Atlassian2019-09-10
  8. "Excellent company, somewhere I hope to be for a long time"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Atlassian full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent colleagues. Fantastic company values which are lived and breathed by everyone. Incredibly open. Easy to reach out and talk to people at any level. Everyone wants to help. There is no backstabbing - there is plenty of opportunity for growth whether you want to be an Individual contributor or go down the Management path. Excellent benefits and salary. Loads of opportunity to learn. Flexible hours. Respect... for personal life. Genuinely nice people to be working with.

Cons

Imposter syndrome can be very real to start with! Feels sometimes like everyone has thought about an idea which you thought was new. An unofficial sixth company value of Seek first to understand can sometimes be a blocker to talking to people (i.e. you are pointed to an internal blog or wiki when you ask a question, rather than given an answer). These are honestly all minor points though and you can easily work... around them and work with colleagues to push through them.

Advice to Management

The psychological safety is amazing, sometimes you might want to consider pushing people a little harder though to keep the momentum and innovation up. Keep telling people to question things and make an impact when they join - it is a real motivating factor for new starters like me.

Atlassian2019-08-15

"Expect some good challenges and to work hard for work/life balance."

Current Employee - Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Atlassian full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of nice challenges and opportunities, some great people to work with, and lots of freedom in how you work. The benefits are pretty good.

Cons

You have to work hard to achieve work/life balance otherwise burn out is imminent. Change is a constant. The working environment, as in the physical building, leaves a lot to be desired.

Advice to Management

Work/life balance is sold as an advantage of working for Atlassian, but it's not the reality. In the interview stage, be honest that while there is a lot of opportunity and a lot of space to design how you work, it is a changeable, chaotic and pressured environment to work in. It would also be really helpful to have much more support from senior management around growth potential within the organisation - if a... competent manager and industry thought-leader can't see they'll progress within the organisation, once the key benefits of working at Atlassian are accrued, they're likely to look to grow by moving organisation.

Atlassian2019-08-15

"Political. Only looks good on the outside. Where talents go to waste."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Atlassian full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice people. Work life balance. Overvalued stock price. Seemingly caring CEOs. Great employee marketing with their values.

Cons

Rampant politics. Management is very inexperienced. Poor planning. Constant re-organization. Zero change management. No long-term vision. Engineering upper management only sees people as numbers. Promote their own pet projects and put people number on them. Little consideration of the impact to existing tasks or people. Middle managers have no say. It’s all about who you know, how loud you shout (blog) and how you... play the game to succeed. Sydney culture is geared towards white and male despite many awareness blog posts. Not inclusive. Not multiculturally friendly. No BS value translates to employee hostile behavior. This company is where talented ambitious people go to waste. No innovation. Sensible people have left already.

Advice to Management

Get management and executive training to your upper management (or replace them). Hire consultants and change management.

Atlassian2019-07-19