Atlassian Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.9
Atlassian Co-Founders Scott Farquhar & Mike Cannon-Brookes
Scott Farquhar & Mike Cannon-Brookes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance is great but we still get stuff done" (in 28 reviews)

• "Awesome place to work with tons of smart people" (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "Also, company has a great work-life balance, for most employees - but expect the borders between work & life to blur" (in 7 reviews)

• "Have struggled with growing pains once they passed 2000 people and added their fourth large office" (in 12 reviews)

1. "Overall very positive workplace"

Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Sydney
    Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I found that, out of the managers I've had, all of them sincerely cared about my career progress and that I got to work on things I enjoy doing.

Cons

Hardly any cons worth complaining about. Personally, discontinuing Stride was a bummer, but I understand the reasons why.

"It's complicated"

Current Employee - Developer in Sydney
    Current Employee - Developer in Sydney

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When Atlassian is good, it's great.
    Your peers are smart and motivated
    People generally trust one-another
    The experience team really does a great job of perks (lunch, special events, etc)

If you're performing well:
    There's a lot of space to grow your career (either vertically into more senior roles or horizontally into other fields)

You can switch teams (allowing you to maneuver around the Cons below)

Atlassian has a great brand, it probably looks great on your CV

Cons

When Atlassian goes bad, it goes really bad.
    There's a lot of project churn (projects appearing and then disappearing)

Managers at Atlassian aren't great. Every manager I've had has been a former developer who moved into a team lead role.

Nominally speaking, you'd think this sounds great. However getting the most out of people isn't something that a career in writing software prepares you for from what I can see.

When they leave you alone, they're mostly benign, although you'll have to find your own career path.
    If you have sustained high work output, and you know when to keep your mouth shut, you'll be in this category most of the time.

If you happen to get their attention for the wrong reasons however, you're in for a world of pain. Their abilities at "performance improvement" are mostly limited to threatening to fire you.

FYI take the values with a grain of salt, they used to mean a lot to a lot of people (management and staff) but their meaning has become diluted as people have been hired who don't share the same values.

Advice to Management

Really invest in training your front-line people managers, as in "6 months of an MBA" kind of training not a "1 day crash course on how to manage people" kind of training. It would cost a lot of time and money, but I think the benefits would be worth it, in staff retention and engagement.

3. "Driven and empathetic team getting stuff done"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Sydney
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Sydney

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great engineers with lots of experience, Trusting and open environment, Always focussed on values .

Cons

Can't think of any

Advice to Management

Keep up the good stuff

"No significant cause for complaint"

I have been working at Atlassian full-time

Pros

Great work, great environment, an increasingly clear vision toward a noble aim with lots of opportunity.

Cons

There is a bit of chaos as things grow fast, but it's pretty clear up front that's what folks are signing up for. The thing that prompted me to write this review is in response to some of the negative comments. Either these are isolated cases or falsified, as the behaviours that emerge from the company's values would not sustain this on any scale. Yes, there are some inexperienced managers, but the culture of openness and autonomy that exists pervasively makes me wonder how these issues could not have been raised and dealt with, as so many other things are on a daily basis.

So that's my "con", that for whatever reason it seems there are people in the org who were carefully hired based on a set of values, but were unable (or unwilling?) to work things out in the most positive environment they're likely to come across.

Other than that, software is hard, and that's true here too. The ways that it is hard varies by product/project.

5. "Awesome workplace"

Pros

Excellent opportunities and work culture

Cons

Really couldn’t find any. Maybe not as famous as the big named tech firms. But not less than then in any way!

6. "an opportunity to make a difference to millions of end users"

Current Employee - Quality Analyst in Sydney
    Current Employee - Quality Analyst in Sydney

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Getting to work with some of the most awesome people, teams and products
    - Work life balance+++
    - Dedicated time and space for experimentation, innovation and personal growth

Cons

- has a bit of a enterprise culture that can seem a bit overwhelming to start

Advice to Management

- Keep the focus on experimentation and innovation
    - Do not slack on quality

7. "Software Engineer"

Former Employee - New South Wales in Sydney
    Former Employee - New South Wales in Sydney

I worked at Atlassian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great lifestyle/work-life balance
    Great office
    Friendly colleagues
    Constant feedback/improvement
    Innovation
    Generally high quality production, great place to learn from other smart people

Cons

Work is not always interesting or significant
    Strong stereotypical nerd culture

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Sydney
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Atlassian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing smart people, family vibe, fun challenging products, great vision.

Cons

nothing that other similar sized companies wouldnt have...

9. "Great place"

I have been working at Atlassian full-time

Pros

- Solid benefits
    - Awesome people
    - Great work-life balance

Cons

- Still trying to figure some processes out

"Top toxic workplace I've been at"

Former Employee - Developer in Sydney
    Former Employee - Developer in Sydney

I worked at Atlassian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Free food and drink
    - Big company, a lot of people occasionally you've meet great people accidentally gets in, they won't stay long though
    - Lots of different technical challenge to work on, you'll have to pay tax though, tributes the all the parasites that this company has accumulate for years. My advice is do not ague with them, do not point out their stupidity if they outranked you that will not ends well for you. In my last year I prefer throwing out my personal projects rather than let them lay their dirty hands on it. And believe me because the thieves do not actually have any work to do, they will be scouting all your resources to find anything they can steal or demand a piece of it. Even if you give them your work they won't be able to finish it(that what I did in my earlier years at the company), you have to do it and then give them the credits.
    - Interesting facades, sadly none is true.

Cons

- Working here is throwing your career into the toilet, that is if you want to build or engineer systems or real functionalities that serves real world purposes. Unless you want to be a salesman, fraud then this will be the experience you'll need.
    - Lazy and uneducated management only care about building their personal cult and tribe. Underlings in term focus on writing songs about their superiors and back stabbing each other, exploiting subodinates. You'll be force to join a tribe, help them attack the other, or you'll pay dearly price.
    - Brainless people chaining meaningless phrase all the time without any care for customer experience or the product to be crafted, every failure is consider another success. No intention of improving the quality of the product, personal shortcoming and the environment. Is it not only sad because they keeps repeating something stupid and untrue, but also it's not even their original thought. I do not know if most people here even use their brains for thinking, but might be they do, it's just not about producing value.
    - Performance and contribution will not factor into your payroll, money goes to the loudest and laziest back stabber and looter, who aligned with management groups.
    - Arrogant and illiterate politicians aim to suck dry the company and honest folks who work hard to keep things going.

Advice to Management

Stop eating please. Use your brain sometimes, I know it's hard but it'll be worth it.