Atlassian Reviews

Found 928 of over 1,021 reviews

4.6
Atlassian Co-Founders Scott Farquhar & Mike Cannon-Brookes
Scott Farquhar & Mike Cannon-Brookes
Pros
  • "Great culture, excellent benefits, amazing work/life balance(in 75 reviews)

• "surrounded by extremely smart people(in 41 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Good positions tend to be available only in the US or Sydney(in 27 reviews)

• "Work life balance especially during WFH(in 24 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

I'm consistently impressed

Nov 16, 2020 - Senior Engineer in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

The culture at Atlassian is probably the biggest draw. There are people who often might not necessarily value culture as much, but the culture here is the very reason why it's a great place to work. I'm constantly being impressed by the consideration around policy, work style, trust, and caring shown by management toward their direct reports at Atlassian. I'm also very impressed by my peers. There's a good reason the stock ticker is TEAM. Because that's precisely how people act here. People are caring and will go out of their way to help each other. I've felt very valued while working here. Their onboarding process is the best I've experienced, with lots of dialogue to ensure success. The training is pretty solid too, with a plan for ready for me on day one about how my first 90 days would go. That's pretty rare, especially given how well thought out it was. Being in a high technical field can be chaotic and stressful at times, but there's a lot of attention on employee and team well being. You won't run into issues where you're simply told "this is the way we're doing it".

Cons

The type of work can be demanding, but that is expected. The fact that I can't think of anything else that is a con should say a lot.

15 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Awesome company

Jul 30, 2021 - IT Support Technician in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

Super collaborative Perks and benefits of a tech company Stock compensation Great work colleagues who believes in the values of the company

Cons

Very fast changing environment, sometimes too fast as you’re getting in the rhythm of things we’re already pivoting.

3. 5.0

The best team I've had

Jul 27, 2021 - Technical Support Engineer in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

Atlassian is the best company I've been working for so far! The company culture is incredible and transparent. The Customer Support and Services teams are incredibly friendly, open-minded, and talented. I felt welcome from day 1!

Cons

Nothing bad to say at this stage. It is a great company to work for.

4. 1.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Values in name only, not in practice

Jun 20, 2021 - Program Manager in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits and compensation, pockets of good people throughout the company.

Cons

Company values are more of a marketing tool than something actually lived by and put into practice. Management is a real concern, your experience at Atlassian depends entirely on the manager you get. Most toxic workplace I have ever worked in. The onboarding experience is down right awful, workplace bullying and toxicity starts on week one. You'll get yelled at, spoken down to, undermined, told 'that won't work here' and meet resistance at every turn until you give up like the rest of the employees. Few people at the company truly have experience at scale, as a result decisions take longer than working in public service and the quality of work is laughable. Success seems to be bound to how much you can talk about the work and self promotion, not enough people actually care to follow up and see if any work is actually being done. This is career suicide, there is no progression, no one really cares, it's a company full of people who 'rest and vest'. Performance is in the hands of management that simply can't be bothered to do their job. If you go to HR or speak up about any concerns, expect immediate retaliation from your manager.

3 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0

Good place to work

Jun 30, 2021 - IT Infrastructure Engineer in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is great place for professional development since working with a lot of high professional people from all around the world. Great culture and values, company cares about employees and customers. Good compensation and (if needed) relocation package(s). Verity of technologies and areas where you can work.

Cons

All internal process/policies/instructions in organisation are documented but not always well organised and sometime it is hard to find information

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company to work for

Jun 14, 2021 - Software Engineer in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company culture is really amazing, the decisions are transparent and employees are considered first before anything else. Ability to choose to work from home or go to the office. A wide range of extra activities such as voluntary work and donations (which are matched by the company too)

Cons

There were few who were affected negatively because of team anywhere (ability to work from anywhere), but personally I believe it was a problem with communication, if it was communicated better, it could've been avoided.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Best company ever

Jun 29, 2021 - Software Engineer in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

Best culture. Best perks. Kudos to the working experience team hard work. Quick and positive responses to new situation like COVID-19.

Cons

Hard to get promoted in some departments but it can hardly make me move to another company in Australia.

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 5.0

It's Authentic - Not Lip Service

Feb 7, 2021 - Senior Support Engineer in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Company Values are REAL - They are not lip service. What they talk about in the values is what they apply inside. * Good support for Support Engineers, you're not an after-thought but an important part of the organisation and continued success. * Onboarding is daunting but well managed - I joined through Virtual Onboarding and you'll get all the support you need. No need to go to an office! * Team - Team is everything. There are team events for the company, team events for the region, team events for your product group, team events for your local team. You're not going to be forgotten in one spot, there's so much team involvement. * You'll spend time talking real-time in Slack, rather than in emails. We don't use email as a primary form of communication. * Comms from Senior Management is actually useful, and relevant.

Cons

So many products & teams, it seems no-one does things the same way. Intra-team communication can be daunting because you just don't know where to start asking your questions. There's a lot of things to read and learn - you'll feel overwhelmed while you're starting and still won't know 1/2 the things you feel you need. You can burn out if you don't pace yourself at the start

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 5.0

Happy Employee

Jun 9, 2021 - Recruitment and People Team in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

Supportive environment Challenging work - encouraged to do your best and support your teammates also WFH flexibility We hear from the founders at meetings Is a big company so can take some time to learn where to go - they have lots of resources in place to help you work out who to speak to for help.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Best Job I've had, not all sunshine and rainbows though!

Jun 23, 2021 - Software Engineer in Sydney
      Business Outlook

Pros

Psychological safety is very important and people feel free to speak their minds even if it goes against project goals, you're encouraged to not save anything for yourself and you don't have anything to be afraid of, people will hear your arguments! People really hold to heart the companies values and I think they are one of the great culture-defining things the company has. Employee wellness feels like a top priority, work-life balance for me at least has been great and I feel free to regulate it as long as work is getting done. for me I have never seen a blame game take place, if there is a problem, people only try to understand to prevent it, not to find someone to blame. Through these challenging times (cliche much) the thought Atlassian has been putting towards employees is truly heartwarming, I'm proud to work here. Work is technically engaging, you work with smart people and you're exposed to excellence quite often, you will learn stuff here.

Cons

Promotions are a HUGE con for me, as someone not interested in bureaucracy, I'm fortunate to be in a place in my life where I'm not in need of the extra responsibility & money attached to the promotion to the next level, even though I fully believe I'd be qualified for the next position, the process to prove it is so gruelling and cumbersome that I feel I'll never even want to partake in it, it will be definitely easier to look for a new job than to get promoted here. This gets brought up in every engineering all hands and the answer is always the same with different words. to paraphrase answer is always something like: " yeah I hear you but we need to keep quality and we believe it's fine like this so nothing's gonna change" at least they are transparent about it? To get promoted you have to build a paper trail (evidence, links, dates, testimonies, slack conversations, zoom recordings, pull request links, etc) of performing at the next level for a whole year and it's always a fight, but if you ace the interview you can still get hired into that level for one witty afternoon. I honestly feel that the paperwork for visas is way easier than this and I think although the need to keep the bar high is 100% true, there must be a better way. The company would be a 5 star from me if this was not an issue, if there was a 3.5 stars I'd give it that (hence 4 stars)cause when I learnt this was the process, it broke my spirit and my drive to move up the ladder here. On the other hand, if you are someone that navigates office politics well, you'll not suffer this much I reckon.

5 people found this review helpful