McKinsey & Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 27 May 2017
1,546 Interview Reviews

3.8

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

I was very excited when I learned I would be interviewing for a role with McKinsey Digital Labs. Unfortunately the interviewer rescheduled on me three times each on the day of our interview. After we confirmed the next interview date, I was rejected from the role before even interviewing. Very unprofessional and poor experience.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Extremely unprofessional. Recruiters are completely uncoordinated. I had to remind the recruiter about our interviews and he wasn't even aware of the location for the position that I applied for. Single worst interviewing experience!

Executive Assistant Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied online. Received a call about a week and a half later from the NYC office. Went in for testing which was extremely easy with two other individuals. I was then called back 2 days later to come in for an in person interview. I interviewed with 2 other girls by 2 team leads, then two more, then the EA manager. Each aboig 15 minute interviewes. Interviewed on Thursday and called back on Tuesday with an offer.

Senior Implementation Coach Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Several rounds of interviews - all include case and PEI.
    Feedback was very vague from final round - most focused on case performance.
    Would not interview with this company again as they claim to provide support but in actuality provide very little in terms of preparation and feedback.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time where you had to lead a team through a conflict   Answer Question

Software Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA (US)) in May 2017.

Interview

I only had one phone interview with McKinsey. Although I was not moved forward for the position I applied for, the internal recruiter got back to me in a timely manner and gave me detailed feedback and suggestions to improve my skills. It's hard to put a value on that kind of professionalism, but sadly it seems rare in this job market. In this same week, I applied for another positions where I did 3 phone interviews and never heard back - quite a contrast.

Implementation Consultant Interview

Interview

Good interview overall. I had a couple phone interviews and cases, and then 2 in person interviews. The cases are difficult, but they tell you everything to expect.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a time when you had a conflict with a peer in a team setting?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Interview

i had 3 phone calls before onsite. Two tech screens and one behavioral interview. The Technique interview is just SQL questions, which is kind of touch. Even if I cant give them exactly the right query, they are still okay if I just talked about my approach.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between primary key and unique key   1 Answer

Senior Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walpole, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Walpole, MA (US)).

Interview

I was being interviewed for a senior Data Engineer role. The job description mentioned expect you to know all kinds of technologies like AWS, Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Oracle, Nosql, HTML, Tableau, Informatica, Unix, Python. The process ran for more than 2 months just for 2 telephonic rounds. The first round was conducted by senior digital analyst who postponed the interview twice because of non availability. At the time of interview she was 15 mins late and she asked questions regarding do you know Python Flask, some questions related to Tableau and questions related to work experience. In second round which was conducted by her manager, he asked me questions related to visualization. How do you visualize disease/medicine data, flight delay data? I explained him the flow and tried my best to explain him the d3 visualization. I am not sure if that manager himself even knew d3. In past I had worked on multiple d3 visualizations like interactive plots, hierarchical edge bundling, parallel coordinates, heat maps, chloropeth maps, heat maps, box/bar plots. I have worked all my life in finance domain and visualized mostly finance data. so I think I did well in the interview and even with the talk with the manager I felt the interview was good. I followed up for the next 3 weeks almost 4 times but got no answer. Then I was mailed by the hr after 4 weeks that I lacked depth in my answers. I seriously pity the way the interviews happen in a company called McKinsey. First of all the job description didn't mention technologies related to d3 or plotly, matplotlib. They write everything in the job description and focus only on visualization. Total waste of time following up to get the status.

Interview Questions

• How do you visualize disease/medicine data?
      How do you visualize flight delay data on a global map?
      Answer Question

MD Fellowship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL (US)).

Interview

The interview cases were essentially the same as the ones they use for MBA recruitment. Even though I was applying via the MD track, they still expect a level of performance similar to MBA students for the case interview.

Risk Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Extremely unprofessional. I had very high expectations based on their reputation, but they disappointed me. The HR kept rescheduling the interviews I was supposed to have. On the day of my second phone interview, I was waiting for the interviewer to call, but he didn't! I notified the HR, and she rescheduled it for the next day. The next day, 5 minutes before the interview, she called me and said that the interviewer is busy with some work, and he will call me in 2 hours. When I finally had the interview, I noticed that the interviewer didn't apologize even once for not calling on the first day, and rescheduling again the next day. This sort of bummed me out with the kind of people that work there. He couldn't answer my questions about the role, either. What he described about the role was completely different from the job description I had read and applied for. The assessment test was easy. I got called in for a case interview onsite. That got rescheduled FOUR TIMES because the HR couldn't get interviewers together. And the worst part was that they conduct interviews only on Fridays. So this rescheduling went on for a month! I had lost my patience by then. I had kept each Friday free just for this interview - not taking any other calls or interview requests, making sure I was in the city each Friday. But by Thurs, the HR would email me saying they have to reschedule because interviewers are not available. Extremely unprofessional behavior. They had absolutely no regard for my time. I got another offer from another company. I withdrew myself from the process. I didn't want to waste another Friday for a company who clearly doesn't care for their (potential) employees.

Interview Questions

• Basic HR questions, subsequent rounds went into resume based questions, nothing tough.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.