McKinsey & Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

2,228 Interview Reviews

3.8

Sort:

Consulting Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA (US)) in November 2015.

Interview

Interactive but very very fast paced, they kept asking questions and I was kept on my toes for the entire length of the interview. Wasn't a relaxed conversational interview and I felt uncomfortable a few times in between. But then tough consulting companies do that during interviews to see how fast you can think and respond.

Interview Questions

• Strengths and Weaknesses and how you will improve on them.   1 Answer

Consulting Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2009.

Interview

It is basically the standard consulting interview process. However, McKinsey did add a test that all applicants need to take. The test was pretty hard, there was a time crunch, and they only provide one practice exam. It is hard to prepare for, but just be ready to read and analyze graphs quickly. McKinsey also provides you with an interview coach. They will do cases with you over the phone, but I highly suggest practicing cases with your friends.

Interview Questions

• Just practice as many cases as possible, and work on expressing your leadership abilities in a very concise manner.   4 Answers

Negotiation

They don't negotiate with BAs right out of college.

Contract Management Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied on campus career site, received a request for a video conference the following day. After the video conference, I received a request for onsite interview. I interviewed onsite, and was asked both behavioral and situational questions.

Interview Questions

• Would you rather be the best player on the worst performing team or the worst player on the best performing team?!   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL (US)).

Interview

Two rounds of interviews: one on-campus (2 interviews) and one at the office (4 interviews). Each interview included a fit portion and a case study. Each interview was about 45 minutes long. The first round was EM/Associate level people interviewing and the 2nd round was AP/Partner level interviewing. After the first round, received a call saying I was moving on to the next round and they provided feedback as well. A couple hours after the 2nd round, got a call that I was going to receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• Questions about leadership, team work, how you overcome challenges. Case study including quantitative and qualitative thinking.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2012.

Interview

Three rounds of interviews. First a problem solving test and a group case. Second two interviews with associates or EMs. Third an all day on site interview with 6 interviews and dinner the night before.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY (US)) in January 2014.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews, each rounds composed of at least two interviews. Case interviews. First round usually held on campus at schools (business schools, grad schools). Second round at hub cities. For me it was new york city and Toronto. Cases are mostly based on partner's previous work experience. THey will continuously push for an answer by asking "why do you think that's the case?" There is probably no right or wrong answer but they will try to test your logic and composure.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL (US)) in December 2015.

Interview

The entire process took 3 months after applying online. I came to know about an interview after 1.5 months. All interviews were covered in 1.5 months. I'm an experienced hire.

First round: Phone Screen - Straightforward case - 30 mins
    Second round: Onsite - 3 interviews - 15 min PEI, 30 - 45 mins case: 2 video conference, 1 in-person
    Final round: Onsite - 3 interviews - 2 interviews had 15 min PEI, 30 - 45 mins case, 1 interview was a conversation on different business problems and how to solve those. 2 video conference, 1 in-person

After every round, feedback was provided to improve my performance. First round interview was scheduled any day that you want in the evenings. Second and Final rounds were scheduled on Fridays. Second round decision was delivered on Monday. Final round decision was communicated 2 hours after the interview.

Preparation tips:
    a. Practice cases with a person either online or in-person. Initially quantity of cases is important, later quality and delivery of case is important
    b. Work on feedback received after each practice session
    c. Know your story in and out. You'll be grilled on one story in your PEI. Have multiple stories.
    d. Practice speaking concisely and clearly. Also practice listening and taking clear notes with the interviewer.
    e. Be friendly and relaxed on the interview day. Being nervous might make things worse. Take a good sleep before the interview.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL (US)) in September 2015.

Interview

I was a 2015 APD candidate (meaning I'm finishing up a non-MBA advanced degree) in the Midwest US. I submitted my resume during the mid-summer recruiting season, then participated in three interview rounds. They flew us to Chicago for the first two rounds, then the final round interview was held at the specific office location that was considering hiring me. I was lucky to interview at my first-choice office location and was offered the job.
    First round was the hour-long PST and two group cases. My preparation was to take a few practice tests to get used to the time constraints and familiarize myself with case interviews by reading one of the standard case-prep books out there.
    Second round was two hour-long personal experience+case interviews, one-on-one with consultants. I spent the most time preparing for this round - did ~10 practice cases with peers and existing consultants, plus many more "case start' practices on my own. I also wrote out my top three personal stories and practiced aloud with others.
    Third round was three hour-long personal experience+case interviews, one-on-one with directors and partners. Prep for the third round was the same as the second but with focus on improving my weaknesses.

Interview Questions

• Be ready to talk through your resume at the beginning of each session - I was asked to do this in 4 of the 5 one-on-one interviews.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

3 "rounds" of interiews took place:
    Round 1: screening test
    Round 2 (if you pass their screening test): one on one case studies
    Round 3 (if you are chosen to advance past Round 2): office specific interviews

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (San Francisco, CA (US)) in September 2015.

Interview

McKinsey's Interview process is incredibly standardized: once you make it to the in-person rounds, you will have 2-3 1 hour interviews with current consultants. The first 15-20 minutes will focus on the Personal Experience Interview (PEI), the remaining ~30 min will be dedicated to an interviewer-led case with 5-10 minutes at the end for you to ask your interviewer questions.

Being able to think logically and communicate clearly in the case is the most important. I had a few cases where I wasn't too sure, but since I clearly explained my reasoning and my process the interviewer was willing to help guide me to the right answer.

The PEI portion is difficult, because the answers are pretty much always a variation of 3 standard questions, and they want answers that prove that you the personality and the skill to do the job. There are several approaches to structuring your questions—STAR, PARADE, etc—but the most important thing is that you know you answers inside and out, but are able to respond without sounding like your answers are rehearsed. The consultants will interrupt your answer, as follow up questions, and generally throw you off mid-answer. You want to have a ~30 second preview of your answer, and then a well-organized longer version to go into once they start the questions.

The cases and the PEI weren't necessarily hard, but the stress surrounding the interview process was difficult for me. Only a small percentage of applicants receive an offer, and I really wanted this job! That said, the math and the questions weren't in and of themselves difficult—it's more being able to present yourself in a way that communicates that you'll do the job well. There's also a huge personality fit component to the final decision, and that was a bit nerve-wracking. I really enjoyed all my interviewers, and I was really hoping they'd like me too.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time you lead a team / Talk about a time you had to work with a difficult member / Talk about a time you changed someone's mind?   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.