NSW Government Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

2.6

Interviews for Top Jobs at NSW Government

Policy Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at NSW Government (Sydney) in April 2013.

Interview

Approached the Chief of Staff (CoS) expressing an interest in the policy area and how I felt I could make a contribution to the portfolio. Following an initial meeting with CoS that covered experience, political inclination and policy perspective I met with the Minister and discussed the role and office.

Interview Questions

• How will your background add value to the portfolio - how do you view current policy reform - what policy reforms do you feel are a priority for the Government in the next five years.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NSW Government (Melbourne) in March 2016.

Interview

You have 10 min. time to prepare those 5 questions that they are going to ask, after that there is a technical skill test with 2 questions. The difficulty of technical test is average. And the time is enough to finish those tests. The interviewers are friendly. The overall experience is great.

Interview Questions

• Difficult situation you encountered   1 Answer

Recruitment Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at NSW Government (Sydney) in August 2014.

Interview

The interview process was very brief, I spoke over the phone with a Recruiter from an agency based in Sydney and got the job contract almost immediately, then had to present myself to the agency the morning before I was due to start work to sign off my contract etc.

Project Officer (Various) Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NSW Government.

Interview

While the government has made some improvements, the whole process takes an unreasonable amount of time.
    Responding to selection criteria is not as laborious as it used to be: usually they ask you to write your responses to two targeted questions (relevant to the specific position) and include your resume.
    Once submitted I have generally been contacted within a couple of weeks to be invited to attend an interview (or advised my application wasn't successful). However a couple of departments have consistently taken much longer than this.

The interview process consists of arriving twenty minutes early and being given the interview questions to read through and jot down notes...which I think is really helpful.
    There is usually a panel of three (two from the department you're applying to and one independent). My biggest problem with this process is that throughout the interview the panel members barely looked at me! They all take notes which I understand the importance of, but surely they could delegate one panel member to take notes so at least the other two could look at candidates while they are talking. I have found it really off-putting and distracting, finding myself wondering if anyone is actually interested what I'm talking about.

Following the interview I have been invited to complete online cognitive and personality assessments which take about twenty minutes each. These seem to be testing for patterns in my responses to the questions to establish the way I work, solve problems, interact with people etc.

The only other thing I'll say is that once the process is completed it can take a ridiculous amount of time to hear back from them. I'm still waiting to hear the outcome for three jobs I completed all the above tasks for in November last year.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about how you have successfully dealt with conflict?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NSW Government (Sydney) in June 2016.

Interview

Panel interview, personality test and presentation. Typical interview for a senior level, looking for capabilities and personal fit with team. Interview was in two sections a) questions b) a presentation of a case study where I was given 30 mins to prepare and then present to the panel a strategy.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with difficult people   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.