NSW Government Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Interviews at NSW Government

2.5

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at NSW Government (Sydney) in June 2020.

Interview

I applied for the role of Data analyst
    1) I got a call for phone interview after 2 months. They asked basic questions about my skills, experience etc.
    2) Data Science task: I was given a dataset and asked to complete a set of tasks
    3) I was then asked to do a video interview. There were behavioral questions and they explained what they need from me.
    4) Aptitude round

Policy Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NSW Government.

Interview

First step was a written application including targeted questions response. Then I attended a panel interview. There was a s short time to read the questions beforehand and then I also completed a written task related to the job process.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in the role?   1 Answer

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Surry Hills

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at NSW Government (Surry Hills) in January 2020.

Interview

Pathetic. 4 months after applications closed I’ve heard nothing...not even a courtesy email to say the position is delayed, on hold or whatever...such incompetence by their HR and they really have no respect for candidates.

Graduate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NSW Government.

Interview

Was not a difficult process and the group interviews are good. Individual interviews usually require preparation beforehand of the specific qualities they highlight, and therefore are a bit trickier as you usually need specific examples. Overall a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• Experiences of previous conflicting situations in the workplace   Answer Question

Community Impact Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NSW Government (Sydney) in November 2019.

Interview

Applied online, after ~2 weeks received a call from a recruiter who asked very low level questions around my experience(s), from this call I was not selected for next round and notified via email but the reason for not progressing has been ignored by their recruiter. I emailed the recruiter 3 times asking for further feedback as to why I was not selected which I felt was fair to know given the time taken to apply and conduct a phone interview. I sought this feedback to both help understand the decision but also see what skills/experience I need to develop for the future. Poor candidate experience and communication by the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Mixture of why I wanted the job, what I would bring to the job, how my past experiences would relate to it etc.   Answer Question

Role In Compliance Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at NSW Government (Orange) in October 2019.

Interview

Very automated. Email to invite to interview, online schedule system to book it, text message to ask to submit psychometric tests, digital reference checks. While this is great to see a government body using modern tech and being efficient, it meant I barely spoke to a person to get any sort of feel for them or the potential manager or the culture, or to ask questions that I didn't want to ask in the formal interview.

Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NSW Government (Sydney) in September 2019.

Interview

I didn't get an interview offer for a while as application was in a wait list. When I received the next stages for the application process, an online video interview, personality test, written assessment and assessment center booking link were sent at the same time. The written assessment is very similar to the Inside Sherpa virtual internship, so complete it in preparation. The assessment center involved a group activity to see how you collaborate with others and a 2-person panel interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the Public Sector? Which graduate program streams are you interested in and why?   Answer Question
    • How do your values align with the NSW Government's values? Provide examples.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time that you saw a project through from beginning to end.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you were overwhelmed by your workload.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when a team member was not adhering to set policy or rules. What was your response?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NSW Government (Sydney) in June 2016.

Interview

Panel interview, personality test and presentation. Typical interview for a senior level, looking for capabilities and personal fit with team. Interview was in two sections a) questions b) a presentation of a case study where I was given 30 mins to prepare and then present to the panel a strategy.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with difficult people   2 Answers

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NSW Government (Melbourne) in March 2016.

Interview

You have 10 min. time to prepare those 5 questions that they are going to ask, after that there is a technical skill test with 2 questions. The difficulty of technical test is average. And the time is enough to finish those tests. The interviewers are friendly. The overall experience is great.

Interview Questions

• Difficult situation you encountered   1 Answer

Project Officer (Various) Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NSW Government.

Interview

While the government has made some improvements, the whole process takes an unreasonable amount of time.
    Responding to selection criteria is not as laborious as it used to be: usually they ask you to write your responses to two targeted questions (relevant to the specific position) and include your resume.
    Once submitted I have generally been contacted within a couple of weeks to be invited to attend an interview (or advised my application wasn't successful). However a couple of departments have consistently taken much longer than this.

The interview process consists of arriving twenty minutes early and being given the interview questions to read through and jot down notes...which I think is really helpful.
    There is usually a panel of three (two from the department you're applying to and one independent). My biggest problem with this process is that throughout the interview the panel members barely looked at me! They all take notes which I understand the importance of, but surely they could delegate one panel member to take notes so at least the other two could look at candidates while they are talking. I have found it really off-putting and distracting, finding myself wondering if anyone is actually interested what I'm talking about.

Following the interview I have been invited to complete online cognitive and personality assessments which take about twenty minutes each. These seem to be testing for patterns in my responses to the questions to establish the way I work, solve problems, interact with people etc.

The only other thing I'll say is that once the process is completed it can take a ridiculous amount of time to hear back from them. I'm still waiting to hear the outcome for three jobs I completed all the above tasks for in November last year.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about how you have successfully dealt with conflict?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.