Softcat Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Softcat Interview Questions

Updated 2 Jun 2019

2.8

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, KY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Softcat (London, KY (US)) in January 2018.

Interview

Honestly just be able to make them laugh. Its probably hands down the most easiest interview i've ever gone to. But yeah, Defo do some research. Talk about P.kelly it always gets them excited and the things hes done good for the company, this is important as he was the founder.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about softcat(abcd questions)   1 Answer

11 Sep 2018 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your review on the interview process. Though we are looking for candidates that align with our culture and having a good sense of humor is always nice, it's not the only thing we look... More

Business Development Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Marlow, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Softcat (Marlow, England (UK)) in February 2018.

Interview

Assessment day lasting about 2 hours with a small group of other graduates and then a panel interview the following week. A phone call with the director of sales to finish. Easy process, everyone was great and professional.

Interview Questions

Softcat Response

10 Aug 2018 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking your time to leave a review, we appreciate it!

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Softcat (Leeds, England (UK)).

Interview

First, a simple telephone interview to assess your skills and abilities. If accepted, you are put through to the assessment day. The assessment day lasted around 3-4 hours. We had to do a simple english and maths test, pretty easy. We then listened to a 30 minute presentation on the company, make sure you take note of the core values. We were asked what we knew about the company, this is where you have to really stick your neck out and make sure you stand out, there were a lot of people attending the assessment day so it was quite hard to show off. We then split into groups and had to do a quick task. This involved creating a perfect holiday for a member of staff, asking them lots of questions. Make sure they are relevant, i.e not beer they like the best, but rather what they are willing to spend and what climate they prefer etc and go from there. Last of all, we had to do a 1 minute presentation on why we are suitable for the role. A little nerve wracking but a very good experience. I would recommend adding a structure to this so the audience can follow easily. I was informed the same day that I got through to the three panel interview stage (which is a bit like Dragon's Den). I was interviewed by three men, very welcoming and friendly, however pressure is immediately put on you to see if you crack. My only criticism would be that it would be nice to see a woman there as well. Be prepared to have your CV critically examined. Also, be VERY prepared with knowledge on the company. I was asked to do a role-play scenario, i.e I had to sell software to the management team, this was quite hard but good experience. I was asked about my goals, it is obvious that the company is very financially driven. You have to show that you have real passion for the role. After that, the final stage is a telephone interview with the Sales Director. This was a good experience, my tip would be to show your personality as well as core skills. I asked what I could have done better at the end of the interview and I was told that there was a lack of connection as I was just describing my skills and what I have achieved. I forgot to show my personality and I got too caught up in trying to demonstrate how great I am. We had an additional ten minute informal chat at then ended the interview where I got to talk about my passions outside of work and other random things which was really nice. Overall, it went really well and I was offered the job! A very quick interview process, friendly staff, great culture vibe in the office. I look forward to joining the company.

Interview Questions

• What are your goals and ambitons?   1 Answer

17 Apr 2018 – Recruitment Manager

Thanks for the feedback on the interview process, it's great to see the tips that you're giving to prospective candidates and that you thought each stage was really relevant to showcasing your skills... More

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Softcat (Manchester, England (UK)).

Interview

A very well structured and smooth process.The assessment canter was run very efficiently and they made sure all candidates felt at ease. I also found it very interesting that they gave the candidates a true indication of what the job will be like consisting of the ups and downs.

Interview Questions

Softcat Response

14 Aug 2018 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, we appreciate the time you've taken to write this

Account Executive Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Softcat.

Interview

1)Video interview with 10 questions

2) Assessment centre - was invited the day after the video interview.

The person from HR who ran it was very nice and made us feel very relaxed. The assessments began with a basic IQ test for English and maths (which some people were using their phone calculator for).

Then we had a "speed interview" which involved rotating around 3 interviewers, interviewing for 2 minutes each. I didn't think this was great as you couldn't get much across about yourself in such a short time and felt I was just repeating myself to a different person.

Most of the time was spent listening to other employees giving a presentation about Softcat. It was at this point I decided I didn't want to work there. They spoke mostly negatively about their jobs saying how it is essentially all cold-calling with 95% rejection. They then went on to talk about the commission and other rewards, but at this point I wasn't impressed. They were even swearing. I appreciate informality in assessment centres but I feel this is too informal coming from people who are representing their company to potential new employees.

Then we had to do an individual pitch to the same 3 interviewers as the "speed interview" collectively. Again I felt I was just repeating what I had already said, and I could see 2 of them weren't even paying attention.

We did not have time to do the group exercise so we only actually assessed for around 7 minutes.

What's more there were people in the assessment centre who didn't even go to university. Without sounding superior, it felt like a bit of waste of my degree from a top university to go for a job that doesn't even require one.

The office environment is not corporate at all. There are games consoles, if that impresses you. No one is wearing a suit. Some people might like this but it felt wrong being interviewed for a "graduate" position by someone dressed in skinny jeans and white trainers while I was in a suit.

Softcat are looking for a certain type of personality. I felt that the professional experience on my CV was not valued by the interviewers, and would be wasted calling people on a telephone all day.

However, if it is for you then the rewards are fantastic. After all they must be doing something right if they were voted the number one place to work in the UK.

I didn't receive any feedback from Softcat, but then again there can't be much to feed back from 7 minutes of assessment from 3 different people.

Interview Questions

Softcat Response

11 Sep 2018 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your feedback on your assessment day experience. We appreciate your feedback on the presentations, and have tweaked them, adding in a Rookie (a Sales Exec in their first year) to ensure... More

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Softcat (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

quick and straightforward, the team there are very helpful throughout the whole process. Everybody at the company makes you feel very welcomed. I had a phone interview then and assessment centre, then a face-to-face and then the offer

Interview Questions

Softcat Response

14 Aug 2018 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your feedback on this! We appreciate you sharing your experience.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marlow, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Softcat (Marlow, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview process began at 1pm and ended at around 5.20pm so be prepared for a long day! The large majority of the process was in a group setting apart from the cold call, so if you're not the most confident person ever, I would definitely work on your confidence just so that you don't get over shadowed by the other candidates.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Softcat?
      Why Softcat should employ me?   Answer Question

11 Sep 2018 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We tend to run assessment days to last around 3 hours, though sometimes in bigger groups it can last slightly longer, but we do ensure candidates are aware now before the... More

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Softcat (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Recruiter got in touch on Linked-in, was very keen. Had a first interview with her and another phone interview.

They skipped the assessment day (with my application, I think with most you have to do an assessment day) and I had an interview with three very young employees. One of them led the conversation, the others looked uninterested. They seemed more interested in whether I liked to go clubbing than how intelligent or how good of a sales person I was. Had a couple of questions on the company and none on sales, they were more interested in what I liked to drink.

The longer I spent at the interview the less attractive the company seemed.

Interview Questions

• What is the name of our CEO?
      What is your vice/ Do you like to go out? What's your favourite drink?   Answer Question

Company was not attractive

6 Sep 2016 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you very much for taking the time to add your feedback, it really is valuable for us to gain an individuals experience on our recruitment process. We will most certainly take on board your... More

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Softcat (Manchester, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

Brief telephone interview after submitting your interest for the role, then put into an assessment centre.
    The centre lasted about 3 hours, and was generally a positive experience. Ten of us were there, and the day consisted of hearing from the team about what the role involves, training, etc. Also asked to do a simple English/Maths test (not timed or anything - very relaxed). Do your research and speak up to make sure you get noticed (sounds harsh, but needs to be done!). Later in the day do a mock holiday sales/client scenario. Don't have much time for this, and personally don't feel that it is a very good assessment method. Then did a 1 minute pitch (about yourself) to the group and assessors. Was previously told we would have a few minutes to prepare this, but wasn't the case, so prepare this before you go to the centre. Make sure to emphasise why you are special.
    Then a face to face interview (usually with two or three assessors). Again very friendly. Make sure you know about the company (you do a brain dump on what you know), what the role consists of on a day to day basis, why sales, the company's USP, and a bit about IT infrastructure (that it's about networks, and why it's so important). Also did a mock cold-call scenario. Had two attempts at this (they give you a bit of help after your first attempt (mine was shocking). Remember to build rapport (the longer the better in a way!), ask open Qs, with the aim to set up a future call with an IT specialist.
    Next stage is a final phone interview with Sales director, but I didn't get to this stage. Received good feedback, and Softcat kindly offered to keep me in mind for other, more suitable positions.

Interview Questions

• What industries would you consider targeting for your sales?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Softcat (London, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

Started off with a brief phone interview which lasted around 5-10 minutes. Very basic, testing understanding of the role, during which I was invited straight to an assessment day a couple of weeks later.
    Assessment day lasted 3.5 hours, starting with a minute of introducing yourself to the whole group, followed by the HR member talking about Softcat and what the role would entail. Then a Sales Manager came in and went into further depth about Softcat and the role with more specifics into the commission and the day to day schedule. They are really looking for people who ask lots of questions, not just any questions but intelligent ones related to what has been said. So key is to sit near the front so you can fire away and be noticed. The next slot was divided into groups, where the aim was to find out as much as possible about the member of staff your group was interviewing in 5 minutes, trying to come up with the perfect holiday for them. This was then pitched as a group to the audience and members of staff. Finally, there was a 1 minute pitch where you basically have to sell yourself to everyone and the members of staff. Important to be concise as if you have too much to say and ramble they cut you off. This was all done alongside a very basic maths and grammar test which you were asked to complete in the breaks.
    Next stage was a 1 hour panel interview, where 3 sales managers asked questions about your motivation, Softcat and went through you CV. Not too much to worry about. Important to show enthusiasm for the role and Softcat.
    Final stage was a phone interview with a sales director. Got off to a bad start as I was kept waiting for half an hour as the person interviewing me was running late. Would have been nice to have had a little bit of contact beforehand. Again, asked about my motivation for the role and Softcat. Told to "Sell me Softcat in 45 seconds". This is the key part of the interview I feel as he gets an idea of how confident you are speaking to people over the phone as well as your sales technique. Important to be concise and get as much information out about Softcat. Felt I got asked a few intrusive questions, I assume he was trying to throw me off but I didn't think they were relevant to the application at all. The sales director was very cold and distant over the phone, and I wonder how he has managed to be so successful in the sales industry himself as he didn't particularly impress me! (especially after all the emphasis on building rapport)
    Didn't get the offer after this interview as I feel I didn't show off enough of how much I knew about Softcat, which was a shame as this was the 3rd time of doing it in the process. Didn't really hit it off with the sales director quite like I had with the others in the previous stages. Felt each step was quite repetitive, however, all in all I feel it was a good recruitment process and good experience going on as you get to practice selling yourself at every possible moment.

Interview Questions

• What other jobs have you applied to?
      Sell me Softcat in 45 seconds!   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.