first direct Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

first direct Interview Questions

Interviews at first direct

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at first direct (Leeds, England (UK)) in September 2020.

Interview

4 stages - initial application or employee referral, then a phone interview checking your communication skills, video role play, online situational test (given practice and sent via email) and video interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at first direct (Leeds, England (UK)) in October 2019.

Interview

Telephone interview, just a friendly chat with a few simple questions, phone call simulation was daunting but relatively easy, just made general chat on the phone about what the customer was doing on the weekend, asked questions to appear interested and give myself time to calculate answers to questions. got physical interview soon.

Interview Questions

• Describe good customer service   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at first direct (Leeds, England (UK)) in October 2019.

Interview

Four stages to the interview process. First of all your fill out a form on their website and request a call back. The call back is about ten minutes and you need an excellent telephone voice to pass this stage. They just want to get to know you on this phone call. The second stage is a ten minute telephone interview. Again an excellent telephone voice is required and they ask you why you want to work for first direct and about your previous and current role and why you want to leave. The third stage is the call simulation. You get a guided tour of the building, a short presentation about the call simulation and first direct and then you go through to a room with lots of telephones and computers. You get ten minutes to prepare and then one of the recruitment team pretends you be a customer. They are all about building rapport so make sure you do that. I have my face to face tomorrow so I will update this after

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in two years?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at first direct (Leeds, England (UK)) in September 2019.

Interview

The overall process was very long; it took me 6 months to be on board for an interview. The process is in 4 stages and you can be rejected anytime. You are negatively judge on your emotions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a situation where you have overcome a challenge?   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at first direct.

Interview

Telephone interview around 10 minutes - very easy to pass in my opinion. After this you are invited to a call simulation and if that is passed which you are told on the day then you go on to the competency based interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at first direct (Leeds, England (UK)) in March 2019.

Interview

Two interviews over the phone. At the site there was a presentation given about the role and the company and then a mock call exercise. You are told immediately whether or not you passed that stage and then you either progress or are sent home.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about First Direct?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at first direct (Leeds, England (UK)) in February 2019.

Interview

The original stages were easy, I called up, registered my interest and they organised a telephone interview, once I did this I had the telephone interview, was asked a number of questions like my desire to apply, what i knew etc to which i was invited to the assessment centre. Much like the other reviews it consisted of a tour, a presentation and a role play scenario, the ones which were succesful were then taken into a conference room to book the face to face.

On top of this they sent out a situational judgement test, which I found was not a great stage to send out just before final stage interview. This should have been administered early on before the telephone interview to begin to begin shortlisting, I find that these types of tests are an ineffective way of judging someone's ability to do a job because these are things that can be taught, not instinctive.

When I had my face to face interview, it was very laid back and enjoyable. My one issue with my interview is that a lot of the focus was on how I planned to take my studies at the same time, as well as other potential commitments as if the interviewer was trying to get me say "I have not thought any of this through" in an indirect, non-aggressive way of showing me the door. Nonetheless, I provided detail into the way I had planned how I would be able to balance everything, in an effort to try and explain, if I didn't think it was possible, I wouldn't have applied.

Next came the competency questions, which I always find the bane of job interviews. Non-subjective towards the company as many other companies use them, however, they are not a true test of a persons competency to do a job, which unfortunately risks recruiters making an incorrect judgement on a person ability and suitability for a role based on either a lack of event happening, or their ability to fabricate a story.

I was told I would hear back in 3 working days, which I did, however I did not appreciate that it was done via a scripted, headed letter, and from somebody other than the person who interviewed me. There were a few things that made me think I was unsuccessful in the interview, which I am sure were easily flagged up, however, if I was successful, I would have much rather they told me much sooner opposed to leaving me in limbo for 3 days when I'm sure the decision was already made before the interview had finished, considering that some of the reviews on here stated they called back the next day to deliver the good news.

Secondly, the fact that the news was delivered via letter gives me the impression that a company is so focussed on delivering brilliant customer service (which I can't fault), that it results in having a fear of delivering bad news, which I find overall to be poor service and so I hope if anything the company will improve on this as part of their recruitment process.

Thirdly, whilst I was rejected, I was given the chance to call in and ask for further information and feedback, however, it did not explain times in which I would be able to call, and that when I tried to call there was no indication to suggest that the interviewer wasn't there. Instead, it went through to a telephone which continuously rang with no answer before I gave up until some point later.

Overall it was a great process and I am given the opportunity to reapply in 6 months IF they are still recruiting, however, I find that the points I have stated need to be carefully addressed and improved for future.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me when you have gone above and beyond for a customer?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hamilton, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at first direct (Hamilton, Scotland (UK)) in September 2018.

Interview

Starts with a telephone interview, then a call simulation and then if successful a face to face interview where they go through your past employment and competencies.
    Call simulation was the most challenging as you had to find important information quickly.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at First Direct?
      Describe a time you have gone above and beyond for the customer.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at first direct (Leeds, England (UK)) in September 2018.

Interview

You have a 10 minute telephone interview with questions like: What is customer service? Why do you want to work for first direct? Tell me about your current role? Then you are told if you have passed.
    The next stage is an assessment which lasts for 2 hours, they show you around the building and give a presentation about first direct then you do a role play call simulation. My call lasted for 15 minutes and I opened a savings account and credit card but I was asked lots of other banking information which meant moving between 4 or 5 different screens. You find out on the day if you have passed then it's a face to face interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you went over and above to deliver outstanding customer service?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at first direct in July 2018.

Interview

Process seems to drag on as there is 4 stages but i found all recruitment staff very welcoming and extremely friendly. Which made me feel more at ease and released. They dont expect you to be a banking expert or call centre expert but more to see your personality and how you come across.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you went above and beyond the call of duty.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.