Amazon Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.9
Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
20,852 Ratings
Pros
  • "Challenging work environment that will push you to learn and grow(in 1756 reviews)

• "Fast paced, so time goes by quickly(in 1452 reviews)

Cons
  1. "Amazing Place to Work"

Current Employee - Systems Development Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Amazon full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Excellent Developer Hardware - You get to learn A LOT - Everyone in the company is very welcoming and reachable - You get to challenge yourself everyday and are always learning new things

Cons

- The frugality leadership principle does mean less benefits for staff - economy flights, no free lunch, etc, which kind of sucks when compared to other tech giants.

Amazon2020-01-22
  2. "Opportunities Galore"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Account Manager in Brisbane
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the best reasons for working at Amazon would have to be the opportunities it allows for your career development. The sheer scale of locations and business units providing different products and services is like no where else. If you are someone who enjoys challenging yourself in different roles, and in new environments then you will thrive.

Cons

Relentlessly fast paced: which can put people off especially if they just are happy to stay doing whatever role it is they are doing when they changed. If you are someone who wants to do the same thing, day in day out, then you won't enjoy working at Amazon.

Advice to Management

Continue getting better, and challenging yourselves to uplift corporate social responsibility for all companies worldwide.

Amazon2020-01-22
  3. "General review"

Current Employee - Cloud Operations Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Amazon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Above average pay. AWS Sydney has Transport allowance, we can claim Opal or Car parking charges. Phone bill allowance - you can take a phone and plan in contract and they pay for it upto certain amount. So you can get the latest Iphone, samsung , etc and they pay for it which is awesome.

Cons

Depends on the team you're on the flexibility to work from home etc depends. Also if your manager is newly hired from outside Amazon they tends to set some metrics which is not really necessary.

Amazon2019-12-17
  4. "Accelerated everything"

Current Employee - Business Development in Melbourne

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

opportunities to learn great tech awesome people

Cons

need to be able to self-regulate and draw the line highly addictive

Advice to Management

keep the dayone culture alive!

Amazon2019-12-12

"Love the culture!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Enterprise Support in Sydney

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone is empowered to do what they think is right for their customer. Amazon hires smart people and trusts them to do the right things. It's my favourite thing about working here :)

Cons

The work never stops so it's important that everyone sets their own boundaries and makes sure that they take back some time if they've been flexible with working early or late. Managers don't typically perform high levels of inspection so it's important that every individual manages this for themselves and asks for help when they need it.

Amazon2019-11-25
  6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - SDM in Melbourne

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working with talented people and amazing technology.

Cons

Work-life balance can get tricky at times.

Amazon2019-11-27
  7. "Loads of technology to learn"

Current Employee - Cloud Network Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Opportunity to learn new technologies - Benefits - Great place to work

Cons

- The methodology used to measure the productivity needs to be changed

Amazon2019-11-06
  8. "AWS Cloud Support Engineer"

Former Employee - Cloud Support Engineer in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Amazon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is a great learning environment where you're surrounded by really smart individuals. The level of AWS product and services development and release is very fast and cutting edge in the cloud space. In my opinion, it is truly a cloud leader by far in comparison to other vendors out there. I have learnt a lot, met some awesome people, had decent benefits and despite some negatives it was a good place to work. Would I work for AWS again...not sure...I would be vary of the role and expectations.

Cons

I guess it will depend in what office you work in. An American vs Australian working culture can be quite different at times. Lately, the performance metrics were challenge to many and in my opinion are not the real representation of quality of work that an individual can produce in given period. At some point the work environment had all attributes of a call centre. Initially, the value of work/metric was based on quality and customer satisfaction. However, as the number of employees started to increase it become quantitative/number game. As a result, this had negatively impacted competition between the team members and reduce the time to learn and develop. Think about the customer obsession as one of the core company values and then ruin it with increasing resolve numbers only. Do you sacrifice quality over quantity? This statement addresses the Cloud Support unit or better to say foot soldiers, while I believe that other teams/sections have more freedom in this space. Another very important aspect to think of is work life balance. Everyone is preaching about work life balance and then you have Jeff Bezos revolutionary saying that it doesn't exist in some article. Of course, the senior management jumped on the bandwagon and indirectly imposing it on the work culture etc...Really? I hope the things have changed by now and that AWS is going back to its real core values.

Advice to Management

I hope the management will consider performance metrics review and improvement that will more accurately measure the performance of an employee rather than just measuring the pure numbers. More complex issue require more time to troubleshoot and those cases cannot be measured by just a resolve or not. AWS customers are more educated now and have excellent IT departments too. Please involve more relevant employees in your decision processes around day to day life of Cloud Support Engineer before changing the work style and metrics. Lastly, not everything is about the AWS technology. The management should officially support and endorse other vendor certification training as AWS customers use all of it.

Amazon2019-11-05
  9. "Hard but learn lots"

Current Employee - Key Account Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

High pace, plenty of growth opportunities

Cons

You can burn out if you don’t push back

Amazon2019-11-01

"Excellent Place to Learn, Grow and Make Yourself"

Current Employee - Network Development Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Amazon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Innovation is encouraged Very competitive salary and benefits (health care included in Aus) Able to get involved in company wide initiatives Great potential for advancement and travel Starting bonus and equity

Cons

Not really a con, but don't expect the usual tech company trimmings at Amazon (paid lunches, free gym, etc. etc.)

Advice to Management

Continue growing Sydney office, continue enabling employees to solve problems

Amazon2019-10-12