Amazon Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

3.8
Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
20,183 Ratings
Pros
  • "Work environment (the environment is good at Amazon when compared to many other companies)(in 1711 reviews)

• "Friendly fast paced always help you(in 1428 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance - this is not the place to work if you're expecting a strict 9-to-5 schedule(in 3085 reviews)

• "Stressful work long hours from time to time(in 1708 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - SDM in Melbourne

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working with talented people and amazing technology.

Cons

Work-life balance can get tricky at times.

Amazon2019-11-27

"Love the culture!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Enterprise Support in Sydney

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone is empowered to do what they think is right for their customer. Amazon hires smart people and trusts them to do the right things. It's my favourite thing about working here :)

Cons

The work never stops so it's important that everyone sets their own boundaries and makes sure that they take back some time if they've been flexible with working early or late. Managers don't typically perform high levels of inspection so it's important that every individual manages this for themselves and asks for help when they need it.

Amazon2019-11-25
  3. "Loads of technology to learn"

Current Employee - Cloud Network Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Opportunity to learn new technologies - Benefits - Great place to work

Cons

- The methodology used to measure the productivity needs to be changed

Amazon2019-11-06
  4. "AWS Cloud Support Engineer"

Former Employee - Cloud Support Engineer in Sydney
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Amazon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is a great learning environment where you're surrounded by really smart individuals. The level of AWS product and services development and release is very fast and cutting edge in the cloud space. In my opinion, it is truly a cloud leader by far in comparison to other vendors out there. I have learnt a lot, met some awesome people, had decent benefits and despite some negatives it was a good place to work.... Would I work for AWS again...not sure...I would be vary of the role and expectations.

Cons

I guess it will depend in what office you work in. An American vs Australian working culture can be quite different at times. Lately, the performance metrics were challenge to many and in my opinion are not the real representation of quality of work that an individual can produce in given period. At some point the work environment had all attributes of a call centre. Initially, the value of work/metric was based on... quality and customer satisfaction. However, as the number of employees started to increase it become quantitative/number game. As a result, this had negatively impacted competition between the team members and reduce the time to learn and develop. Think about the customer obsession as one of the core company values and then ruin it with increasing resolve numbers only. Do you sacrifice quality over quantity? This statement addresses the Cloud Support unit or better to say foot soldiers, while I believe that other teams/sections have more freedom in this space. Another very important aspect to think of is work life balance. Everyone is preaching about work life balance and then you have Jeff Bezos revolutionary saying that it doesn't exist in some article. Of course, the senior management jumped on the bandwagon and indirectly imposing it on the work culture etc...Really? I hope the things have changed by now and that AWS is going back to its real core values.

Advice to Management

I hope the management will consider performance metrics review and improvement that will more accurately measure the performance of an employee rather than just measuring the pure numbers. More complex issue require more time to troubleshoot and those cases cannot be measured by just a resolve or not. AWS customers are more educated now and have excellent IT departments too. Please involve more relevant employees ... in your decision processes around day to day life of Cloud Support Engineer before changing the work style and metrics. Lastly, not everything is about the AWS technology. The management should officially support and endorse other vendor certification training as AWS customers use all of it.

Amazon2019-11-05
  5. "Hard but learn lots"

Current Employee - Key Account Manager in Sydney

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

High pace, plenty of growth opportunities

Cons

You can burn out if you don’t push back

Amazon2019-11-01

"Excellent Place to Learn, Grow and Make Yourself"

Current Employee - Network Development Engineer in Sydney

I have been working at Amazon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Innovation is encouraged Very competitive salary and benefits (health care included in Aus) Able to get involved in company wide initiatives Great potential for advancement and travel Starting bonus and equity

Cons

Not really a con, but don't expect the usual tech company trimmings at Amazon (paid lunches, free gym, etc. etc.)

Advice to Management

Continue growing Sydney office, continue enabling employees to solve problems

Amazon2019-10-12

"Awesome"

Current Employee - Process Assistant

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team environment to be employed

Cons

Incredible place to be employed

Advice to Management

Great at upskilling employees.

Amazon2019-10-14

"Great place to get involved in bleeding edge tech and innovative work"

Current Employee - Partner Solutions Architect in Melbourne

I have been working at Amazon full-time for less than a year

Pros

- great tech - opportunity to apply it with partners and customers - great opportunity to build soft skills such as presenting and public speaking - also work on building a business within aws

Cons

- can be like drinking from a firehouse keeping up with the rapid pace of change

Advice to Management

- 'two-pizza' teams are great for agility but aren't the answer to every situation

Amazon2019-10-14

"AWSome Experience"

Current Employee - Cloud Architect in Sydney

I have been working at Amazon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great opportunity for working cutting edge technologies Makes you feel special and very productive More focus on outcomes ra than than processes. Just loving it!

Cons

Can be overwhelming if you don’t know when to say NO

Advice to Management

Great job! The loop process is a well thought process. Keep Amazing and shine like stars

Amazon2019-10-10
  10. "Very nice company to work at"

Former Employee - CSA

I worked at Amazon part-time

Pros

Very nice company to work at

Cons

Very nice company to work. No issues

Amazon2019-10-16