Blizzard Entertainment Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

4.5
Blizzard Entertainment President and CEO Mike Morhaime
Mike Morhaime

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Blizzard actually wants to give employees a Work-Life balance" (in 36 reviews)

• "If you are looking for a work environment to fully 'embrace your inner geek" you don't need to look any further" (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • "Expensive cost of living in the surrounding area; the company does subsidize healthy food options in their cafe and vending machines in each building" (in 29 reviews)

• "You have to work really hard to exceed expectations which can erode some of the exalted "work-life balance"" (in 19 reviews)

"Poor management"

Pros

Really passionate staff, who are all friendly and easy to talk with. Some of the products are the best in the business and they care about the fans.

Cons

Seems like a small company pretending to be big (even though they are big). Really poor HR policies (were there any?). Quite shambolic when it came to managing international operations, seems to be every territory for itself which leads to some unhealthy fiefdoms. Depends on the management for your territory and can I only say I had the worst boss in my entire career there and didn't appear to be any recourse for his actions.

Advice to Management

Look at your leaders performance and behave more like a professional company. Look beyond the game teams with regards to culture, it's a big organisation and not everyone is a developer. It takes massive support to launch and maintain the games but it seems only the game teams (maybe HQ staff) are looked after.

2. "Fun"

Pros

This is company is really nice to work for. Lots of hours tho

Cons

Not really any cons to this job if you love what you do

"The job was amazing. The management, less so."

Former Employee - Specialist Game Master in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Specialist Game Master in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for my favorite gaming company, good office location, got to work with many like-minded individuals, free games, and a plethora of other benefits.

Cons

The management doesn't care about the individual. I was placed on a shift that I was physically struggling to maintain and, even though I'd gone to my management about the problems I had multiple times, I was never offered any help. I was removed from special projects after being given impossible ultimatums and ultimately fired because of mistakes I was making due to a deteriorating physical and mental health.

Advice to Management

Care about your reps. Please. I wasn't the last person this happened to since I was fired, and I'm sure there are others currently suffering. Depression and anxiety are real things that should be taken seriously. Especially when a rep with good numbers starts to slip -- help lift them up instead of kicking them to the curb without so much as a Final Written Warning.

*Prior to being fired, I was not on a Final Warning. I went from a Verbal to terminated with no chance to speak up to defend myself, and though I was constantly reaching out for help with the situation I was in, no help from my leadership was given.

**A side note, it appears that my previous review had been deleted by the employer earlier this summer. Trying to sweep bad reviews under the rug is indicative of a sour leadership and HR team. I'll keep re-posting my review, as that is my right to do so.

4. "Manager"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun and open minded workplace.

Cons

Several managers/employees that are not qualified to hold their positions but received promotions because they worked there for more than 5 year. This is not the case with the game dev departments just the support departments.

"Like an awesome game with a terrible tutorial"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free games, a lot of amenities on campus, being involved with one of the most beloved game developers in the world.

Cons

This is not indicative of any game dev teams, more has to do with the STEM field. I really wanted to like working at Blizzard, but within a few month of me joining my position had changed and neither the 1st or 2nd team really gave me a good onboarding to have a base understanding of how they expect work to be executed on. Instead of management giving me guidance, which I asked for several times, they steered my projects out from under me which really left me no choice but to leave the company out of pure frustration. "Play nice; Play fair" was never in consideration for the teams I was on.

Advice to Management

Spend more time on growing your team members; have some faith in their growth as well as what their previous background may bring to the company.

"Great place to work, but has it's downsides"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Versailles (France)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Versailles (France)

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazingly passionate people all around you. Some of the best games in the industry. Stable job in a market that's known for instability. Great company values.

Cons

Loose interest in the games after working on them so much (personal, some people don't). Very complicated politics get in the way of getting things done. Slow moving, not really innovative. You're a small cog in a very big machine, so your contribution can seem less meaningful than in smaller companies. Most opportunities for growth are in Irvine headquarters. Lowish compensation compared to the market.

"Kindest & most authentic company I've worked for"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time

Pros

Truly cares about making the best games they can, and bringing people together

Cons

None so far- It's exactly what I was looking for

8. "Keep it up"

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time

Pros

Great use of support and looks after their employees

Cons

Nothing bad really, it's a lovely place to work

Advice to Management

Keep it up

9. "It's everything you think it is"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome environment, awesome tools, awesome people. Can't overstate the power of working on the games that you grew up playing.

Cons

Most technical jobs are only in Austin and Irvine (in the US)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

10. "Great Place To Work!"

Current Employee - ESports Coordinator in Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - ESports Coordinator in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You have the ability to create a vision and execute it in its entirety. The work environment is also great and some of the smartest and most passionate people on the planet work here. Plus people bring their dogs to work.

Cons

Its overwhelming at times because its not a cookie cutter company