Blizzard Entertainment Reviews | Glassdoor.com.au

4.4
Blizzard Entertainment President and CEO Mike Morhaime
Mike Morhaime

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance from what I understand in games is very reasonable (in 31 reviews)

• Great benefits, smart people, good work environment (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Orange County is kind of expensive, and some levels haven't caught up with cost of living (in 25 reviews)

• You have to work really hard to exceed expectations which can erode some of the exalted "work-life balance" (in 17 reviews)

"Poor management"

Pros

Really passionate staff, who are all friendly and easy to talk with. Some of the products are the best in the business and they care about the fans.

Cons

Seems like a small company pretending to be big (even though they are big). Really poor HR policies (were there any?). Quite shambolic when it came to managing international operations, seems to be every territory for itself which leads to some unhealthy fiefdoms. Depends on the management for your territory and can I only say I had the worst boss in my entire career there and didn't appear to be any recourse for his actions.

Advice to Management

Look at your leaders performance and behave more like a professional company. Look beyond the game teams with regards to culture, it's a big organisation and not everyone is a developer. It takes massive support to launch and maintain the games but it seems only the game teams (maybe HQ staff) are looked after.

2. "The best career decision any adult professional could make in a lifetime."

Current Employee - Human Resources in Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working in the entertainment industry (think, Disney, Warner Bros., Pixar, etc) for over 5 years and Blizzard has by far been the best decision I've ever made. I know everyone likes lists so here is mine:

- No large egos. If you have one, you won't last long here
    - Personal and career growth are tantamount initiatives that the company takes seriously. So keep learning and keep growing.
    - Plenty of projects with very few barriers for you to creatively attack your project initiatives.
    - $500 Blizzard bucks per year that you can use for anything in-game.
    - Free game codes to all Blizzard and Activision games.
    - Opportunity to work with some of the best talent in the world. We have a lot of former entertainment studio and Silicon Valley engineers so talent is definitely not lacking.
    - On-site gym, crossfit arena, brazilian jiu-jitsu, aikido, basketball court, massage therapist, physical therapist and even an MD for your physical checkups!
    - On-site gourmet cafe is subsidized and they actually changes up their menus... It's not the same stuff every week.
    - Every Blizzard employee name is listed in the end-game credits for every game we release. We take "being a part of the family" very seriously and it's so awesome.

So the list can go on and on but I just wanted to point out that the biggest pro IMHO about Blizzard is how forward thinking we are on many fronts. The company does a very good job in making sure that we are at the forefront of software development when it comes to modern gaming. We are also pushing the envelope with the development of the Overwatch League and are really disrupting the current entertainment environment of pro sports broadcasts. Blizzard is genuinely an amazing place to work, we are pet friendly, and the very low turnover rates are some of the indicators that people just love working here. Of course, no one has paid me to say any of this - it's my honest opinion and although it's very hard to "break in" to get interviews (took me 10 years!) once you DO get in... wow it's totally worth it.

Cons

Of course, not every organization is perfect. Here are some of my observations as to what Blizzard could definitely improve on:

- Salaries are palatable but doesn't really fit the cost of living in Irvine, CA or Los Angeles. Company is making some interesting salary changes though, so that's exciting at least.
    - 401k matching isn't the best in the world (25% of ever dollar you put in). This could definitely be improved.
    - Somewhat chaotic workplace (natural for anything creative) - It's not sink or swim like it is in Hollywood but it is definitely "Learn fast or you might get left behind"
    - Too many new systems too often. Iteration is great but some stability with our inter-company chat systems would be awesome.. Keeps changing every 12 months.
    - Not enough space. The company is growing so fast that we just don't have enough space so teams have to keep shifting and moving around every year.

Overall, the con's don't outweigh the pros. Being a part of the team developing the next great product is more important to most of us.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, Mike Morhaime & Team. We all have your back. The next 25 years is going to be amazing!

"Creative, diverse, and collaborative culture - at all levels"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Genuinely encouraged to be you, however weird and wonderful you may be (and we all are);
    Every Voice Matters isn't just a nicely worded pillar for a brand statement, it's a fact;
    You get to work with brilliantly intelligent people;
    'Diversity' is meant: we have meet-ups, support groups - all 100% supported by the company at every level.

Cons

Can be tough to get fast turnarounds and approval, as Every Voice Matters!;
    Newer employees may find the 'we have never done it this way' a little frustrating - but stick with it, Blizzard is changing all the time;
    Semi-regular re-orgs can feel unsettling.

Advice to Management

Sometimes it feels that management only see your job experience in the job you are in. Read CVs, test boundaries and skill sets, see beyond the job description they have now.

5. "Dream job"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time

Pros

I've worked at a handful of design companies and have experienced working with all sorts of personalities. Regardless of how much I loved what I did for a living, having to walk on eggshells due to hierarchy, work politics, and etc became a frequent and I quickly became a little jaded with my profession. I figured any company would be like the rest but Blizzard quickly proved me wrong. The atmosphere is full of energy, everyone is kind and full of smiles, fellow co workers are equally passionate about what we do as I am and we feed off each others energy. I couldn't be happier and more excited for my future and my career path here.
    We continuously get emails from Mike Morhaime himself thanking us for our hard work every time we hit a milestone of any sort. Stating that Blizzard is epic as it is due to all the hard work we all put in. I am honored and ecstatic to be a part of the team and get a little teary eyed every time we get those emails :)

Cons

I currently have nothing that is a con.

6. "#Blizzlife! Blizzard Entertainment is everything you want in an employeer"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Core values are practiced every day at all levels of the organization. Leaders lead by example.

Cons

Some times it takes a long time to get a new initiative or group formed.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and keep the culture you have created.

7. "I came and never left"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people are the best, the culture, and community. There are tons of internal opportunities and I feel supported as an employee to grow. Work life balance from what I understand in games is very reasonable. Stable future.

Cons

Growing pains in the organization are exhausting at times. Frugal and convoluted structured compensation/benefits. Irvine is pretty boring and expensive.

8. "New Employee Loving Every Moment"

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time

Pros

Blizzard is the best company I have ever worked for. I've only been here a few months, but there are perks and work events at every corner that really promote a good work-life balance and great relationships with your co-workers. The pay is reasonable, especially coupled with the benefits. I'm sure many of those who come from other gaming studios probably disagree, but I think it's rare to find a company of this caliber (with projects that you actually want to work on) AND will pay you enough to live in Orange County. I think there's an enormous amount of transparency and, with that, evidence of the company's trust in its employees. The people are the best around - there's not a single person that I don't enjoy working with. I feel as though I'm surrounded by genuinely good people and that we are all part of the same team. Regardless of which department someone comes from, we're all playing our part in making this a great place to be and making sure that the content or interactions coming from the studio are the best that they can be for our audience.

Cons

It's an enormous company. While that comes with some stability, it's easy to think that you are just a # or a cog in the wheel. You have to get used to the fact that you're never going to meet or know everyone and you probably won't get face time with those at the top. It's just too big of a company to be intimate. You have to search a little to find out where you fit in to the bigger picture.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. It's working. I hope to be here for many years to come.

9. "Best company to work for!"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly environment, opportunities to grow

Cons

There could be more diversity

"Best job ever!!!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irvine, CA (US)

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Blizzard is far and away the best company in the game business. They allow their game teams enough time to make theirs games great before releasing them. Every single game they release is a top-notch and they are ALL hits. Crunch/overtime is minimal to non-existent. They pay well. They treat employees well. They don't have layoffs. The Irvine main campus has every perk you can imagine. If you are want to work in the game industry, Blizzard is absolutely the gold standard. Other companies will rise and fall, but Blizzard has been at the top forever and will be there long after all the others fall to the wayside because they do things the right way.

Cons

The 401k matching is pretty underwhelming...25% match. I was disappointed with that, but I think that comes from the parent company (Activision-Blizzard) rather than Blizzard itself.

It's in Orange County? The weather is great all year round, but it is a very conservative area, so that may bother some people. Within Blizzard itself, however, it feels much more progressive. And how often do you really need to know/care what the political beliefs of your neighbors are?

Advice to Management

At least 50% 401k matching would be great...preferably 100%, which is pretty standard in tech these days.

"It's all true...."

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great community, clarity in job expectations, passionate people that care about quality.

Cons

Just the commute, it's pretty long!

Advice to Management

Keep being genuine and unique! Everyone has consistent things to say about how amazing their experience is.