Blizzard Entertainment Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Updated 19 Feb 2018

2.9

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA (US)).

Interview

The interview process was very enjoyable as I've been a huge fan of the company and their games since childhood. I was pretty geek'd out during the entire process so I really looked forward to the process. I applied for the role in September and got a call around October from the recruiter for the initial screen. It went well so I got set up for a phone interview with the hiring manager and they brought me on-site. Once I arrived on campus about a week or two later, we had a pretty full schedule of interviews. I believe I met with about 5 managers and all of them asked about different aspects of my work history. We also talked about strategies and ways to change the recruiting landscape.

After the initial interviews with the VP and management team, I had lunch with two recruiters and we just had a good time chatting about our interests, games and hobbies. It definitely was a fun lunch and didn't feel like I was being "interviewed" per say, during lunch.

I ended the day by meeting with my actual day-to-day manager to go over some details and additional questions. After all interviews were done, I was given an official tour of the campus. I was totally sold on the company and everything they stood for... and within a week of interviewing, I got a call and was offered the job. It took another week or two of back and forth negotiations but it eventually worked out.

Overall, the interview process can get a little "grindy" because they want to make sure you're a culture fit and that you have the ability to really be creative and flexible. I totally understand where they're coming from and they just want to hire the right person. It was a tough interview and I was pretty wiped out but had a great experience nonetheless.

Interview Questions

• Assume you're a manager who had to oversee an entire recruiting department. What are 5 strategies you could employ to be successful in your new role as it relates to D&I, programs or innovations in the recruiting space?   Answer Question

Software Engineer, Automation Interview

Interview

My resume was scanned by a machine. The company sent me a rejection letter within 5 minutes after submitting my application. I don't think they even read my cover letter, which was required to apply. I get that there is an overwhelming number of applicants but can't they at least take the time to read the cover letter?

Interview Questions

• Why did you want to join Blizzard? Please tell us a game that you are playing right now.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in January 2018.

Interview

Overall the process was smooth other than some technical difficulties were they couldn't call my phone. The recruiter helped out a lot and made sure I was able to schedule another interview. I feel like I might have had a very different experience than most candidates so this might not be very helpful. I applied for multiple positions at the same time so I was interviewing for 2 positions, I also didn't have to take any technical test. After getting an email to set up an interview it took a week to confirm when I was going to have my interview, and who I was going to have my interview with.

My first interview was an hour long with 2 developers from the team I would be working on. They asked about items on my resume and general questions about why I want to work at Blizzard. This Interview felt like they were looking for a dev that would be a good culture fit, with some technical questions thrown in such as "what's your favourite source control to use, and why?"

My second interview was with a different team. It was 30 minutes long with 1 developer and was more technically focused, asking about data structures, threads, and other things, they didn't ask any questions about my resume. This interview was a mix of a technical interview and culture fit.

It took 2 weeks after my first interview to hear back that they wanted to hire me for one position, and that they wanted to continue interviewing me for the other position.

Senior Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in December 2017.

Interview

Submitted an application (just the resume and LinkedIn profile), got contacted via email to schedule an Initial phone interview with the company recruiter. The recruiter was super punctual and called right on time, was very relaxed and professional. Questions were about my current responsibilities, what I do at my job, familiarity with several technologies. Very easy.

The interview was just today; the next step will likely be another phone interview, perhaps with the IT team, likely with more pointed questions looking to gauge my proficiency levels. No offer expected at this point - it will likely be at least a week or three - if not until after holidays.

Interview Questions

• What do you do at your current job?   1 Answer
    • Have you heard about us?   1 Answer
    • Are you involved with managing and monitoring servers at your current job?   1 Answer
    • Are you familiar with Active Directory?   1 Answer
    • Do you do any scripting?   1 Answer
    • Do you have any questions for me / us?   1 Answer
    • How is your availability next week for another interview?   1 Answer
    • What compensation are you looking for?   1 Answer
    • Would you require (visa) sponsorship to accept an offer?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA (US)) in December 2017.

Interview

I was contacted to set up a phone interview after submitting my resume online. After that was a short coding test, followed by a day of on-site interviews. Everyone was friendly and enthusiastic, and generally prompt about responding to communication. The whole process was much faster and shorter than I expected based on interviews at other companies, even including the winter holidays in the middle of everything.

The test and interview questions felt like they were designed to have both easy answers and smart answers; a number of them would have been trivial to solve with naive solutions, and I got the impression they were specifically looking for people who saw past that and put some thought into their answers.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA (US)) in December 2017.

Interview

I had two 30-min phone interviews and then came to headquarters for several in person meetings. Everyone was very thoughtful with my time. They take their core values seriously which is awesome. They are part of the reason I was attracted to the company.

Interview Questions

• What do you geek out about?   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA (US)) in November 2017.

Interview

My interview was in four parts: HR screen, technical phone, coding phone, on-site.

The HR screen was just a quick discussion about the role and how your experience might apply to it.

The technical phone interview consisted of two senior data scientists asking a case study question and how I would approach it. They asked many follow-up questions about my chosen approach and algorithm (to give you an idea of the depth, I eventually had to explain how feature importances in tree-based ensemble models are calculated).

The next part was a coding phone interview done on codeshare. Two more senior data scientists asked me to write a simple distance metric and then a common machine learning algorithm that utilized it. I had my choice of R or Python, and they asked me not to use any packages (actually, they took exception to my usage of even some base R functions). They then asked me to calculate the time complexity of my algorithm (I was asked to do this many times throughout the course of my interview process).

Next was the on-site. This consisted of a technical interview (basically the in-person equivalent of the technical phone), a whiteboard coding interview (basically the in-person equivalent of the coding phone), "lunch" with two hiring managers (basically an eating interview), a tour of the campus, and a final interview with a high-level manager. This process for me took a little over five hours.

My general impressions of the company were:
    1. Everyone there seemed very smart and capable, and for the most part were enjoyable to interview with. Every data scientist I interviewed with had a PhD. You can tell you'd learn a ton there in any technical role.
    2. How committed you are to gaming is very important to them. I am not a gamer, and practically everyone I interviewed with seemed confused about why I would want to work there given that that was the case (and relatively unconvinced with my non-"because I love blizzard games" reasons), so this continually generated awkward moments and seemed to generally play negatively against me. If you are not a gamer, it's not likely the culture will fit you very well. Expect everyone you talk to to ask you about your gaming history.

ESports Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in November 2017.

Interview

Quick, Easy, mostly looking for more information on my past experiences, what made me fit for the job. Mostly general things, basic asking salary expectation, outlining offers and other stuff.

Customer Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Austin, TX (US)).

Interview

Easy interview. Nice people. Only really asked a question or two. They were trying to figure out if I was a geek like them, and if I could explain a simple to follow process.

Interview Questions

• How do - YOU - make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?   1 Answer

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA (US)).

Interview

Submitted application online, all but forgot about it until a Blizzard recruiter called 2 or 3 months later to schedule a phone interview. He and I spoke about the position, and at the end he said he wanted to set up a tech screening video call with the hiring manager.

The video call was held about a week later, and the techs asked me about my familiarity with various technologies as well as how I would respond in different scenarios. That call went well, and about 2 weeks later Blizzard flew me out for face-to-face interviews (2 weeks due to my schedule - they would've had me out sooner if they could've).

The in-person interviews was over about 4 hours and we're a series of meetings with 2 or 3 people from different parts is the team. Lunch was included, so that was nice. My last meeting was with the management for the team.

I flew home the next day, and when I landed I had a voicemail from the Blizzard recruiter that he wanted to talk to me. We spoke the next day, and he told me the the company wanted to make me an offer. We discussed points of interest to me (salary, benefits, relocation, etc), and he said he'd get back to be with a formal offer. 2 days later the recruiter and a senior member of HR called to extend their formal offer.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.