Blizzard Entertainment Interview Questions | Glassdoor.com.au

Blizzard Entertainment Interview Questions

Updated 1 Aug 2018

2.9

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA (US)) in October 2015.

Interview

First off, I am a huge fan of Blizzard franchises and I really wanted to work for them. But honestly, I am quite disappointed after the interview process (not because I didn't get an offer), it was the worst interview experience I have so far. Blizzard's interview process made me feel very unwelcome compared to other big companies that I applied to. It took almost a month between each stage in the interview process. The recruiter's communication was terrible. They act as if they don't value your talent. I almost decided not to go for the on-site interview just because of the lousy recruiter, but in the end I still went there just because I wanted to visit Blizzard's headquarter. The onsite interview questions were reasonable, not easy, not hard. You should be able to do them if you have been practicing the questions in these famous interview prep books. Almost a month later, I received an automatic rejection email, sent by a Blizzard's mail bot. Maybe my required salary was too high for an Associate position, maybe they found someone else better, maybe both, I will never know. But the worst thing is that the recruiter didn't even have enough courtesy to write me a proper rejection email, it was just an email sent by Blizzard's mail bot with even incorrect content - it says that I am rejected after the phone interview stage(?) - which made me wonder if that email was some kind of mistake, but I don't even care to find out anymore. I still wrote the recruiter a proper "thank you" email just to be respectful but he didn't even bother replying to that one either. So overall, super disappointing interview process, very bad recruiters, and lousy salary. Blizzard has some great minds that have been creating super awesome games and getting a job there is definitely a wonderful thing, but they should put more attention to the quality of their recruiters or else more people will be driven away from them like me, especially when they only pay below average salary.

Interview Questions

• Normal questions that you often see in the interview prep books. Not easy, not hard.   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in February 2015.

Interview

applied.on website. contacted by hr about 4 weeks later. set up first phone interview, should be with.two engineers, but only one. 30min, some technical q. more.about my resume, expericence,and project. Still.waiting for the.result.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview process began with an on campus group interview, then had two phone interviews, and culminated in an in person technical interview on the Blizzard campus. Overall it was a pleasant experience, though one of the phone interviews was somewhat unpleasant (the manager I was speaking to was just somewhat awkward and it made the interview seem difficult). There were far fewer technical questions than I thought there would be, and they focused instead on what seemed to me to be "culture" questions.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (San Francisco, CA (US)) in March 2016.

Interview

First was sent a relatively simple, but substantial, coding challenge, and after my code was evaluated by the team I was asked to come in for an on site. The on site was all day, and consisted of working with another interviewing candidate (for a different position) and one of the team's engineers on a simple networked game. Was a lot of fun, though I had some small problems given that my paired partner was significantly older and more experienced than myself, and it made the interaction somewhat difficult for me.

A brief one on one with the team manager about my interest in the role, etc. concluded the day. It was mostly about culture fit, etc.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment in March 2016.

Interview

Two weeks after applying online, a recruiter emailed me asking to schedule a phone screen. The phone screen lasted about 10 minutes, and he asked me for my desired salary up front. The phone interview was scheduled three days from that point. I messed up the interview horribly, and sure enough two days later I got the email, "You are encouraged to apply again in the not too distant future", which was nice.

P.S. You know those "Questions to ask your interviewer" articles? My interviewer literally said, "Wow that's a really generic question". I'm never asking those again. Either ask a good question or don't ask any at all.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA (US)) in October 2015.

Interview

Got an phone interview with four people, and had done a take home challenge. The onsite was generally good. All interviewers were friendly. Before entering the real person interview, I was asked to complete a code challenge in a small room, which they told me I did quite well. They didn't really ask me to code, just conversation about what I have done and my experiences. Some of them said they were impressed by my ability of front end. The feedback I got was they think I am too junior, and seems to have more interest in other field rather than the position. I think it is just a way to turn me down because according to other interviewers said, the ability in that field is what they are looking for, and it's a big plus. I have no idea why did they have the idea "I am too junior" since I answered all the questions well and didn't screw it up. Plus, it's "Associate Software Engineer". But I wasn't sad that much, the pay in Irvine is ridiculous. The recruiter is good by the way, always got me updated after every interview.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

Interview

I applied a few months ago for the position through their careers site. But recently added a recruiter on LinkedIn and was contacted within the week. There was an initial call to let me know of my candidacy, and they would like for me to complete a programming task. I heard back a week later about the results of my submission, and they asked to have an onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• Questions regarding algorithms, data structures, and knowledge based.   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA (US)) in May 2013.

Interview

I submitted my resume using their online application form. I was contacted several days later to set up a phone interview which occurred a week later. The questions covered what I liked about the game and what I would change, and general knowledge questions about Lua and C++. About a week later I was contacted for an in-person interview in Irvine, CA which occurred about a week after that. They provided the airfare and hotel, and the experience was overall a very enjoyable one. Very friendly people, and amazing work environment. Three weeks later I received my offer.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment (Irvine, CA (US)) in October 2016.

Interview

If you get a chance to go to the on-site interview, be prepared to have fun! Everyone is super nice and relaxed, so just focus on being yourself and everything will be great on that front.

Make sure to study everything on the job requirements list, and feel comfortable talking about it. I was already familiar with some of the tech stack for the job, but I am the type to almost overstudy before a test, so I think it's worth it to go over details before going in. However, I felt like the people interviewing me really wanted me to do well and that helped to calm me down and focus on answering questions.

Blizzard places a lot of weight on culture fit, so make sure that you really want to be there (and trust me, if you are into their games/ gaming culture, you do want to be there lol). They do ask some culture questions, so it helps if you can be sincere.

Even if I didn't get an offer, I still felt like overall it was a great experience! Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Blizzard?   1 Answer

Java Developer Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Blizzard Entertainment.

Interview

After the initial phone interview I was given an example coding challenge. That's as far as I got in the process but I was told that, if successful, an on-site interview would have followed

Interview Questions

• Phone: what's the difference between a class and interface   Answer Question
    • challenge: write a java web server that can handle simple servlet requests using only the core java io libraries   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.